• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1.DayZ
2.Rust
3.Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition
4.Total War: ROME II
5.The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
6.7 Days to Die
7.Starbound
8.South Park: The Stick of Truth
9.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
10.Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition

Jørdan

I had Demigod on my account for ages, Installed too and now I finally got to try it and I didn't know it was a MOBA. Goddamnit. I'm so stupid.

I've only played it as a SOBA (Small Offline Battle Arena) and I really enjoyed it, MOBAs aren't my cup of tea but the single player variant appeals to me and Demigod satisfies this quite well.

Dec

Jørdan;101033510 said:
I've only played it as a SOBA (Small Offline Battle Arena) and I really enjoyed it, MOBAs aren't my cup of tea but the single player variant appeals to me and Demigod satisfies this quite well.

Dota 2 can also be enjoyable single player. Check it out some time if the multiplayer is what keeps you away from those games.

yogloo

Gaf , my faith is being tested .

I desperately want to play South park :Sot, But if possible i do not want to break my " No more then 20 bucks for a game " rule .

Any options or am i screwed ?

Have you played all of your games that you own? If not refer back to rule "no more than 20 bucks for a game."

AsylumX

Say you've got 7 bucks and only 7 bucks to spend on a game why would you want to spend 10 to get the game and leave 3 sitting there when it could be your lunch/coffee/bus fee etc.

However I thought you could add custom amounts just can't remember where.

You can add custom amounts. You just need to have Enhanced Steam and use the store from your browser.

Well I think I'm pretty much done with Risk of Rain. I've done everything except 3 monsters logs left but considering 2 of them have an abysmal spawn rate I'm not sure I wanna bother. I'll probably get back to it from time to time, I really enjoyed it.

jcccuT.png

jAQMSV.png

3xvtwn.png

P.S. : fuck that last commando challenge

Max Payne 3 isn't on steam?

I've played through Max Payne 3 7 times so I'm sure you can surmise that I love the game but in terms of combat it's quite simple. Incredibly satisfying with loads of movement options but still a pretty straight shooter. I prefer the much more complex, technical nature of RE6, with the various rolls, slides, different monster types, stun states, and so on. Can't go wrong with either though, but they're very different types of TPS.

P.S. : fuck that last commando challenge

Agreed lol.

I've played through Max Payne 3 7 times so I'm sure you can surmise that I love the game but in terms of combat it's quite simple. Incredibly satisfying with loads of movement options but still a pretty straight shooter. I prefer the much more complex, technical nature of RE6, with the various rolls, slides, different monster types, stun states, and so on. Can't go wrong with either though, but they're very different types of TPS.

Still not gonna install either of them.

fantomena

Every time I want to play MP3, I go to MP3 in my library, almost pressing the install butoon, then I remember the cutscenes and losing all motivation to start the download.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think I'm gonna try to finish Castlevania LOS this week so I can finally try out the DLC chapters that I never finished on the PS3 version. I plan on playing at 5760x3240.

I will still get a better framerate than the console version.

I think I'm gonna try to finish Castlevania LOS this week so I can finally try out the DLC chapters that I never finished on the PS3 version. I plan on playing at 5760x3240.

I will still get a better framerate than the console version.

the final form in DLC2's boss fight will crush your hopes and dreams

no, seriously, it sucks

Been trying at FTL for the past 4 hours or so. The game is very fun, but I am just terrible at it. Not good for planning in the long term, and specifically I stink at repelling intruders.

Don't worry, you're supposed to be. The devs designed it so that the player would only succeed a fraction of the time. Don't be afraid of playing it on Easy as that is a far from easy difficulty level in this game. It took me the best part of 200 hours until I actually found Easy to be easy.

With respect to intruders you will learn several tactics.
Upgrading your door system to the second level will slow them down until your heavies [if you have any spare crew] can get to them. Opening the doors in their section to space, plus slowing down their progress, will weaken them enough so that your crew can finish them off pretty easily without taking too much of a hit to their health. This helps because they won't take too long to heal which won't take them away too long from any other duties you might need them for. Of course once you can afford to upgrade the doors to the third level that really helps. Oh and turning off the oxygen production with the intruders blocked in and their air locks open speeds up their demise. Lastly, all doors can be opened individually or globally. It helps to remember NOT to open all doors at once, losing all the air supply instantly, especially if the oxygen generator is borked. That's a really good way of getting game over. Someone I know has done that or almost done that to himself many times.

*cough*

Oh and using the spacebar to pause all the time REALLY helps. Getting into the habit of doing it so that when it all starts to get a bit frantic you instinctively pause the game can be such a life saver. It's a great way of slowing it down enough so that you can make a decision without panicking.

Thanks for the tips! I've tried the whole
"suffocate them" idea but typically after panicking and losing a system. Maybe I'll try that tip from the get go.

That's a last resort tactic for me. Try the tactics I gave above and see if those help.

FTL: So I made it to the flagship, took it on once, but then it ran away and I was kind of lost about where it was and what I needed to protect and lost :(. I felt like I could easily have taken it in a fight too. Oh well. Fun game to just kill time with.

Yes, it's a game that's really about the journey rather than the destination :). Next time you get to this point you just need to warp to where it warped to. As long as it's not right on top of the rebel home base before you first tackle it you should be okay. Once it gets there it's game over you see. Good luck with that second stage. It gave me hell until I came up with the right tactics.

I'd buy it.

Also make a thread about it :p

Add it to the list of Capcom titles I'd rebuy on Steam.

--

I'm attempting to go for the Speedlunky trophy/achievement in various versions of the game and it's extremely infuriating to have a GREAT run and have it botched by a bad level generating at the end.
I finished 4-1 in under 5:30 and moved into 4-2... only to find it was a "dark" level. Trying to figure out where to to with my limited resources and I drop down into the face of a mummy who hits me with the barfing locusts. Ugh.

Hello steam GAF, long time.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zeno Clash II -- MB-7DB127A26AF10E2A - Taken by adriano999. 7 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-ED9CA23856E52E2C - Taken by Crentist the Dentist. 1 entrants total.

t1392573055z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Because you will eventually use that 3$? If you only have 7$ why not just buy the game direct instead of adding to your wallet and then purchasing it?

The reason I put the feature in Enhanced Steam is to give people the option. The biggest benefit I see (and honestly, the only time I've used this feature myself) is when I had a pre-paid debit card with some oddball amount on it. Was like $13.61. Obviously if I just used the default options and put $10 in my Steam wallet from the card, I would have $3.61 that would be more or less wasted.

But yes, usually just adding the exact amount then buying the game(s) kinda defeats the purpose.

The reason I put the feature in Enhanced Steam is to give people the option. The biggest benefit I see (and honestly, the only time I've used this feature myself) is when I had a pre-paid debit card with some oddball amount on it. Was like $13.61. Obviously if I just used the default options and put $10 in my Steam wallet from the card, I would have $3.61 that would be more or less wasted.

But yes, usually just adding the exact amount then buying the game(s) kinda defeats the purpose.

it is useful for Community Market Purchases.

Dragon's Dogma is the only one I really want to see. Everything else falls under the "Would buy but not play" umbrella.

You mean like everything in your library not named Assassin's Creed? :p

This is actually brilliant -- I just started doing this with rebate gift cards and such, but I redeem them for Amazon credit. I remember when that light went on in my brain and I realized I didn't have to carry around a card with 4.37 on it and use it to pay for part of a purchase somewhere.

BruteUA

I'm about to switch out my HD 4350 for a GTX 660 SC. If something goes wrong, I just want you all to know it's been an honor to play with you. See you on the other side.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You mean like everything in your library not named Assassin's Creed? :p

Haha, pretty much. :p I actually jumped back into Skyrim a few days ago, after a ~two-year absence, but I feel compelled to finish my playthrough of Torchlight 2 before continuing with it further since I named my in-game dog after my own*, who had to be put down yesterday. I'll get back to AssCreed LibHD at some point, though.

* Well, he was my brother's, but I'd been looking after him for around 16 months.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I have a question guys, maybe someone can answer this...

Looks like SEGA is hosting a community event at www.makewarnotlove.com between Rome II and COH 2. The winning game gets some free DLC next week

I own Rome II but I've played COH 2 only through the free weekend but still have it installed on my PC as I plan to get it soon. If COH2 gets the free DLC will I be able to install it or do I have to own the game?

Haha, pretty much. :p I actually jumped back into Skyrim a few days ago, after a ~two-year absence, but I feel compelled to finish my playthrough of Torchlight 2 before continuing with it further since I named my in-game dog after my own*, who had to be put down yesterday. I'll get back to AssCreed LibHD at some point, though.

* Well, he was my brother's, but I'd been looking after him for around 16 months.

Sorry for you loss, JaseC. I consider my dogs to be family and can't imagine losing one at this point.

bigace33

What kind of game is The Bureau? TPS? Are there any rpg elements? Wondering if I should bite for 5$

It's Mass Effect with less memorable characters. The small rpg elements of customizing your squad is kind of addicting. I had fun with it but the story is terrible and it drags on for a bit too long. Like 12-13 hours or so. The action is pretty slick and for $5 it's a no brainer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Haha. neat. I might fiddle around with that once it hits Steam.

Sorry for you loss, JaseC. I consider my dogs to be family and can't imagine losing one at this point.
Sorry to hear about your dog, Jase. :(

Thanks. At the time I wasn't sure if I could go through with watching him pass, but in hindsight I'm glad I was there with him at the end. He was around 15, which is right at the other end of the Alaskan Malamute life expectancy spectrum, so he had a long, happy life, although it still felt too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom