• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Logging into SteamDB will highlight apps you own, but this excludes DLC items, so I'd say only Steam Support can provide you with an exhaustive list. You could search the store for everything and limit the results to DLC, but obviously this misses DLC that is not/no longer available on the store, plus some of the items wouldn't be highlighted as owned even though they are tied to your account.

I decided to do the store search approach using Enhanced Steam with "Hide DLC for Games I do not own" and the infinite pagination stuff turned on. It's positively obliterating my browser as I scroll further and further, and there's a ton of F2P stuff that Enhanced Steam can't remove because I "own" the F2P game even though I don't, and then there's Railworks stuff taking up half the list, but it's a start.

This is one area where Xbox is MILES ahead of Steam, because you can view your purchase history with extreme granularity:
TFqFyEl.png

alstein

Man, fuck the romans, LOL. They just declared war on me right after they asked me to have an open borders agreement. I trusted them more than the germans since their spies told me Germany was plotting against me and look who was the traitor all along.

I asked Germany to declare war on Rome in exchange of a couple of 30 day luxuries and they agreed without hesitation. We're now having a full out continental war and will likely get England involved. I just reached the early 19th century and thank goodness for the big treasury I had built up until now; I was able to spawn several emergency melee units before my cities got pillaged.

The diplo AI in Civ 5 is as terrible as the rest of the AI. It's the only non-fantasy TBS game where I have to give the AI massive cheats in order to give it a chance.

Jame Retief

Neo Member

In Enhanced Steam, is it feasible to have the functionality of a "Wishlist" of F2P Early Access games? Since Steam considers F2P to already be owned, I don't see how they can be added to a wishlist.

I ask because I'm interested in the game mentioned earlier, Infinity Wars, however I want to wait until it's a more polished game before installing and playing it. Aside from installing it during Early Access, having it on a wishlist would help as a reminder to keep an eye on it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I decided to do the store search approach using Enhanced Steam with "Hide DLC for Games I do not own" and the infinite pagination stuff turned on. It's positively obliterating my browser as I scroll further and further, and there's a ton of F2P stuff that Enhanced Steam can't remove because I "own" the F2P game even though I don't, and then there's Railworks stuff taking up half the list, but it's a start.

This is one area where Xbox is MILES ahead of Steam, because you can view your purchase history with extreme granularity:
TFqFyEl.png

Yeah, I wish Valve would update the account history page. I'd personally like to see sub ids attached to items listed in the subscription history tab (not particularly useful for games that have been released, but it would help with clarifying masked subs in the registry).

I think it's not available in argieland?

how much they're charging for it?

I'd guess $60 (it's not available on the Aussie store). The current 20% discount code doesn't work on it but for those in Europe where the game is available VP22M7-Z9DLF3-3NPTIT knocks off $10/€10/£10.

Yeah, I wish Valve would update the account history page. I'd personally like to see sub ids attached to items listed in the subscription history tab (not particularly useful for games that have been released, but it would help with clarifying masked subs in the registry).

But TAGS.

Stitch

Gold Member
I just sent the latest Firefox build of Enhanced Steam to Mozilla for review.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/versions/

You can install it manually from this page, or you can wait for their review process to complete. Hopefully it won't take too long, though sometimes it can take a couple of weeks.

Changes are now listed in the version notes on that page. As always, let me know if you run into any problems using it.

thank you, I love the badge sorting options :)

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd guess $60 (it's not available on the Aussie store). The current 20% discount code doesn't work on it but for those in Europe where the game is available VP22M7-Z9DLF3-3NPTIT knocks off $10/€10/£10.
ty

I guess it's the same then as nuuvem

hmm

zkylon

zkylewd
You can grab a key from SimplyCDKeys for 28 British Scones (roughly $46.90).
is that legit?

and really fuck argie-tax

like the one thing I enjoy buying in life is now stupidly expensive. like I don't care too much for expensive clothes or dvds or any other garbage, I just like to pay developers for making games while every other argie is fucking pirating them.

it's pretty fucking depressing

JaseC

is that legit?

Yeah, the site is of an offshoot of SimplyGames.

and really fuck argie-tax

like the one thing I enjoy buying in life is now stupidly expensive. like I don't care too much for expensive clothes or dvds or any other garbage, I just like to pay developers for making games while every other argie is fucking pirating them.

it's pretty fucking depressing

:(

PC noob question - If I get Medal of Honor (Origin) through Amazon, does that / can that hook into Steam? Or does that solely go through Origin?

JaseC

PC noob question - If I get Medal of Honor (Origin) through Amazon, does that / can that hook into Steam? Or does that solely go through Origin?

You could add it to Steam as a non-Steam game. For the Steam version in particular you'd need to hit up EA for a Steam key (or wait for it to go on sale on Steam itself), but I doubt such a request would be obliged.

You could add it to Steam as a non-Steam game. For the Steam version in particular you'd need to hit up EA for a Steam key (or wait for it to go on sale on Steam itself), but I doubt such a request would be obliged.

And when I add it to steam as a non-steam game I can see when my friend is online and playing I take it? Thanks JaseC. Great new avatar yet again.

JaseC

And when I add it to steam as a non-steam game I can see when my friend is online and playing I take it?

That's a bingo. Well, I don't know if the Steam overlay plays nicely with the non-Steam version (support in non-Steam games is hit-and-miss), but the two versions are compatible -- there aren't separate servers for Steam and non-Steam players.

Thanks JaseC. Great new avatar yet again.

<3

Stress Test
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Shooter -- MB-1E40810FC42E4C62 - Taken by Natty1. 2 entrants total.
Zombie Shooter 2 -- MB-01B542D7C49D84A3 - Taken by Evrain. 1 entrants total.
Zombie Shooter -- MB-5DD3F3751AEB8F94 - Taken by Shalashaska. 1 entrants total.

t1392592451z1.png

Tellaerin

Hey guys, you can buy the bundle for 0.01 cent. Just type that into it. It'll work.

You can't use Google Wallet, but you can pay through paypal.

Is there anything in that bundle worth playing? Honest question. (I typically don't pick something up unless there's something in it I want to play. I treat my Steam/GOG/etc. libraries like my physical books - ideally, I want to fill my shelves exclusively with the ones I'm interested in. With all due respect to the collectors out there. *tips hat to JaseC*)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there anything in that bundle worth playing? Honest question. (I typically don't pick something up unless there's something in it I want to play. I treat my Steam/GOG/etc. libraries like my physical books - ideally, I want to fill my shelves exclusively with the ones I'm interested in. With all due respect to the collectors out there. *tips hat to JaseC*)

Pathologic is interesting in a bizarre way, but that's on Desura only. The rest is junk.

Contemplating purchasing an AMD Never Settle Silver code from someone on eBay, but concerned as AMD's rewards FAQ pages states that:

Q6:Do the unique coupon codes expire?
A6:
The unique coupon code does expire. Unique coupon codes for the Never Settle Forever promotion expire December 31, 2013. Unique coupon code must be used to obtain free game downloads by December 31, 2013, after which the unique coupon codes are void.

Which is, obviously, in the past. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm specifically looking to pick up Thief and probably Hitman, which are both currently games at the Silver level.

EDIT: I'm aware of the great SimplyGames price on Thief, and will go that route if this AMD thing isn't an option :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This Airborg Factory raw materials insta-kill section in Sine Mora... Why???

edit: passed it on my first try... after wasting all my continues and having my primary weapon back to level 1. :( First time I died in the game too.

Turfster

Holy hell... The Bureau is even worse than expected.
Shit controls. Shit AI. Really really shit controls. Horrible AI. The AI of a sponge. And have I said how bad the controls were yet?
At least it looks pretty?

Shit controls. Shit AI. Really really shit controls. Horrible AI. The AI of a sponge. And have I said how bad the controls were yet?

Well, I was gonna get it, but you cured me. Thank god for that, I'm saving my moniez for South Park and Titanfall.

I suppose, but that one animation that keeps looping whenever the protagonist is in a conversation gets old fast.

I hate myself for playing through the whole thing. It was just a really frustrating experience for me.

Turfster

I suppose, but that one animation that keeps looping whenever the protagonist is in a conversation gets old fast.

I hate myself for playing through the whole thing. It was just a really frustrating experience for me.

Okay, go into cove... WHY ARE YOU GOING INTO COVER ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE THING. Okay, now come ov... DON'T THROW YOURSELF ON TOP OF THE FUCKING GRENADE YOU NUMPTY. Okay, shoot that gu... WHY ARE YOU GETTING OUT OF COVER TO STAND THERE IN THE OPEN.

Also, the player controls are shit too. The context sensitive cover/jump/climb button ALWAYS PICKS THE WRONG ONE. The fact that you move like a tank, thundering forward with the turning circle of an iceberg doesn't help either.

And hey, when there's 2 ways to go? And you pick the 'right' one for the story? You take 2 steps and your path gets blocked for no reason, so you can't go explore the other corridor either... that has blinkies you can see now to taunt you.

Man, fuck the romans, LOL. They just declared war on me right after they asked me to have an open borders agreement. I trusted them more than the germans since their spies told me Germany was plotting against me and look who was the traitor all along.

I asked Germany to declare war on Rome in exchange of a couple of 30 day luxuries and they agreed without hesitation. We're now having a full out continental war and will likely get England involved. I just reached the early 19th century and thank goodness for the big treasury I had built up until now; I was able to spawn several emergency melee units before my cities got pillaged.

Never trust Rome or Germany unless your standing army is equal to or larger than theirs. The typical behaviour that gets assigned to Bismark and Caesar is aggressive, they're usually warmongers. They generally only want open borders to scout out your territory.

Next time you have a dialogue with another leader, mouse over their name and it will list all of the positive and negative relationship modifiers. If one of those modifiers is covet lands you currently own, it's time to start upgrading existing units and begin production on more military units. That modifier may disappear if your army is equal to or greater than theirs but military strength is tallied up in strange ways in Civ V. A.I. Civs can have a lot of primitive units floating around their empire and it doesn't matter if those units are an immediate threat on your border.

Also the A.I. will only sue for peace when you've destroyed most, if not all, of their army. If you're looking to expand and they're not offering up the cities you want, that's your time to push.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Well, I was gonna get it, but you cured me. Thank god for that, I'm saving my moniez for South Park and Titanfall.

As an alternative opinion I'm really enjoying the game. I'm right at the end and I've had a blast. The game isn't perfect (the biggest sin is the over-all emptiness of the world, like they ran out of money) but it looks fantastic and feels very solid with some great art-direction, solid voice-acting and a decent if cheesy story. If you like the way Mass Effect plays you'll get your money's worth out of this.

I played the game with a 360 controller on easy, for your information. I also paid $7.50.

I bought and paid for this, yet no email. I want to add these terrible games to my account.

They don't send emails, if you have a previous profile link from an earlier purchase check your profile page.

I don't think I have an account there, yet I receive their spam emails. I try the key resender and it gives me this:

wait it out i guess

Also I'm still waiting for an email on their earlier bundle or an answer to my question email "where are my keys?".

Garcia

Never trust Rome or Germany unless your standing army is equal to or larger than theirs. The typical behaviour that gets assigned to Bismark and Caesar is aggressive, they're usually warmongers. They generally only want open borders to scout out your territory.

Next time you have a dialogue with another leader, mouse over their name and it will list all of the positive and negative relationship modifiers. If one of those modifiers is covet lands you currently own, it's time to start upgrading existing units and begin production on more military units. That modifier may disappear if your army is equal to or greater than theirs but military strength is tallied up in strange ways in Civ V. A.I. Civs can have a lot of primitive units floating around their empire and it doesn't matter if those units are an immediate threat on your border.

Also the A.I. will only sue for peace when you've destroyed most, if not all, of their army. If you're looking to expand and they're not offering up the cities you want, that's your time to push.

Great input, I really appreciate it. I actually liked how the sudden war took me out of my comfort zone; I needed some shaking up after having expanded slowly but steadily for hours. I didn't know you were able to know all the relationship modifiers and what you mention is pretty vital in order to prevent suprise attacks. I ended up in a medium sized continent and I'm right at the middle of Germany (south) and Rome (northeast).

I barely remember how Civ IV dealt with this sort of situation but I can honestly say I really like the warfaring in V. I think it's been 2 years (probably more) since the last time I touched that game. As soon as I'm done with this long match I'll go check IV out once more.

Civ III however remains as brutal as I remember with its stacks of doom.

Evrain

Just had a quick look at Titanfall. Is it just me, or is someone else having the feeling they studied their previous Callof Duty's, examined the newer ones, cynically took notice of everything that went terribly wrong and corrected the mistakes?
The game is as canonical and classic as it brings new cards to the tricks - moreover, it's interesting how they took care of tricks like quickscoping and camping.

It's a game I can easily see revitalizing the online FPS genre, at least for the twitch shooter part of it.

EDIT: thanks for ZS2, Mavromatis!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
GOTY
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zombie Shooter 2 -- MB-EEDD6F835902D1B5 - Taken by Intheflorsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom