• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Civ III however remains as brutal as I remember with its stacks of doom.

Civ IV has them too.
One of the main reasons why I'm enjoying Civ V more, even if sometimes sieges can be a slow and frustrating thing, especially with all the move limitations you have near enemy units.

As we're on this topic, I'd like to ask about how tourism works in BNW.
I have lots of cities with slots for great works (like, amphiteathres, opera houses) and some with wonders which I guess have special slots for them. Hovering them it says that I get some kind of bonus if I manage to put inside them works from different eras, but even if I do, it doesn't seem to change anything. Slots from different wonders all add up to the same "different eras" thing? Or maybe I need some wonder with enough slots to contain a work for every single eras?

(Thanks in advance for any answer, as I'm bound to bed and I'll probably read it tomorrow!)

Old giveaways rekindled
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Greed Corp -- MB-88A7831C98333AAC - Taken by Sub Zero. 5 entrants total.
Eets Munchies -- MB-918F6D36313B01F7 - Taken by _hekk05. 2 entrants total.
On the RainSlick Precipice of Darkness Episode One -- MB-D3E0E8CA6B2B1D72 - Taken by Garcia. 5 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-047DFB444001F348 - Taken by _hekk05. 2 entrants total.
Little Inferno -- MB-C705A3805D805D42 - Taken by Thorgal. 2 entrants total.

t1392595782z1.png

Garcia

Holy shit, this is one of the most exciting matches I've had in a while. I'm decimating the roman army unit by unit. I'm truly grateful for the lack of stacks-of-doom in this game, it makes a huuuge strategic difference. The leveling up of certain battalions is crucial if you truly want to succeed in your next turn. Heal this unit, defend that other, give some terrain advantages to your front lines while you garrison the weakest so they can quickly gain XP.

Amazing, and the pacing is superb (I deactivated all the animations so it feels like an old school board game).

What I'm liking the most is the fact that regardless of the current continental war which is taking place atm, I'm also able to make substantial decisions in the parliament and micromanage my trading with other neutral or allied nations.

From what I've read all of these improvements were part of the Brave New World DLC, right?

Civ IV has them too.

I'm still a newbie but I'll also wait until someone answers your questions. So far I only kept filling the empty slots but I remained oblivious (until now) about the whole different eras.

Dambrosi

Banned
Seems I already had both Zombie Shooters, so here you go.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dambrosi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn3.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn3.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...er_292x136.jpg http://cdn3.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...er_292x136.jpg
Zombie Shooter 2 -- MB-F829418A648380F9 - Taken by Shalashaska
Gun Monkeys 2-pack (might be redeemed, if so, just PM me) -- MB-0754D0613459DBBF
Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-A3BA53E3D4D5FA0A - Taken by VoidZero
Zombie Shooter -- MB-72D8916191823998 - Taken by Evrain

Great input, I really appreciate it. I actually liked how the sudden war took me out of my comfort zone; I needed some shaking up after having expanded slowly but steadily for hours. I didn't know you were able to know all the relationship modifiers and what you mention is pretty vital in order to prevent suprise attacks. I ended up in a medium sized continent and I'm right at the middle of Germany (south) and Rome (northeast).

I barely remember how Civ IV dealt with this sort of situation but I can honestly say I really like the warfaring in V. I think it's been 2 years (probably more) since the last time I touched that game. As soon as I'm done with this long match I'll go check IV out once more.

Civ III however remains as brutal as I remember with its stacks of doom.

If I scouted out Rome and Germany as my immediate neighbours I would've gone down the Honor Policy track and rushed land-based military technologies in the tech tree. Find horses, find iron and build early siege units. If you have Gods & Kings and Brave New World you could probably influence one with religion and trade and form alliance against the other or at least keep one off of your back until the other is dealt with. I typically like going for culture and science victories, I don't like having a large standing army because it's an economic drain. I like the Tradition policy track because it allows me to have one maintenance free unit per city and keep my economy running high. If you're friendly with militaristic city states they will provide you with military units so you don't have to waste production cycles building your own. However there's a short list of Civs that will set me down the path of warmonger: Greece, Rome, The Huns, Mongolia, Germany, The Zulus and France. Typically you don't even have to start the war, just be ready for it and take every one of their damned cities.

Civ IV is pretty brutal with its stacks of doom. I find the combat really hard to go back to in IV but there are things it still does better than V. Like the cultural influence that can cause cities on your border to revolt and flip to your empire.

I have lots of cities with slots for great works (like, amphiteathres, opera houses) and some with wonders which I guess have special slots for them. Hovering them it says that I get some kind of bonus if I manage to put inside them works from different eras, but even if I do, it doesn't seem to change anything. Slots from different wonders all add up to the same "different eras" thing? Or maybe I need some wonder with enough slots to contain a work for every single eras?

(Thanks in advance for any answer, as I'm bound to bed and I'll probably read it tomorrow!)

The themeing bonuses for Great Works in Wonders is honestly a facet of Brave New World that I've largely ignored. The themeing bonus can very from Wonder to Wonder. Trying to trade simple things like luxury or strategic resources with the A.I. is ridiculous, I don't want to imagine what trying to trade Great Works trading is like. "GIVE ME ALL YOUR GREAT WORKS, STRATEGIC AND LUXURY RESOURCES FOR THIS ONE THING." I've always brute forced tourism by wonder spamming and putting the most production into events like the world's fair.

HoosTrax

That's nice, I liked that one on WiiWare. I should play the PC version someday.

Wait, is this a good clone of Swords & Soldiers? That's an important question I believe :p
I just finished it, and I think you can spend your time elsewhere. Alien Hallway is like an unpolished, grindy (later on) version of that game, with some rather bad localization. Also I kind of misused "TD" to describe the game -- it's really a sidescrolling MOBA
The city-state concept in Civ V really confounded me when I first started playing. It's sort of starting to grow on me now, but still, parts of it feel kind of awkward. Like Canada not being important enough to be a real Civ and being broken up into city-states instead. Same with Brazil and Australia. But somehow Austria is a civ. If we're only considering classical civs, then the US has no business being a civ either.

Edit: no that's not true, Brazil is a Civ. But Rio is a city-state. Wat.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
is that legit?

and really fuck argie-tax

like the one thing I enjoy buying in life is now stupidly expensive. like I don't care too much for expensive clothes or dvds or any other garbage, I just like to pay developers for making games while every other argie is fucking pirating them.

it's pretty fucking depressing
Yes, yes it is. I'm still buying games, because you can't save for shit in ARS, and buying USD is more expensive each day (though I still do that whenever I can). So the money in pesos is more useful spent than in a bank account. Fuck inflation and devaluation.

bigace33

As an alternative opinion I'm really enjoying the game. I'm right at the end and I've had a blast. The game isn't perfect (the biggest sin is the over-all emptiness of the world, like they ran out of money) but it looks fantastic and feels very solid with some great art-direction, solid voice-acting and a decent if cheesy story. If you like the way Mass Effect plays you'll get your money's worth out of this.

I played the game with a 360 controller on easy, for your information. I also paid $7.50.

Yeah, the game is nowhere near as bad as many are making it out to be. Sure you have to micro manage your units because they will make silly decisions. Honestly in a very short time I had my characters way overpowered and just had to worry about keeping them in good cover. I had fun and beat the game. It's worth a couple dollars for sure.

yo wtf do i do with these gala points

also i was banned for like 5 mins earlier

read the posts you quote kids, especially when you agree with them and they're borderline racist

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, you can buy the bundle for 0.01 cent. Just type that into it. It'll work.

You can't use Google Wallet, but you can pay through paypal.
It doesn't work for me. I tried buying it for 50 cents and after clicking on the Paypal button, the page just reloads. Am I doing something wrong, or did they change that?

Zafir

I just finished it, and I think you can spend your time elsewhere. Alien Hallway is like an unpolished, grindy (later on) version of that game, with some rather bad localization. Also I kind of misused "TD" to describe the game -- it's really a sidescrolling MOBA
The city-state concept in Civ V really confounded me when I first started playing. It's sort of starting to grow on me now, but still, parts of it feel kind of awkward. Like Canada not being important enough to be a real Civ and being broken up into city-states instead. Same with Brazil and Australia. But somehow Austria is a civ. If we're only considering classical civs, then the US has no business being a civ either.

Edit: no that's not true, Brazil is a Civ. But Rio is a city-state. Wat.
That's happened due to expansions. Rio was a city-state in the base game, but then they made Brazil a civ in Brave New World. I suppose they could have removed Rio if you had the expansion, but I dunno, doesn't change much really.

wtf, why you hatin', modbot?

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for Gun Monkeys failed because it was already in ModBot and marked as taken from an earlier giveaway. If you are 100% sure you wish to re-submit this key because it is not taken, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

I'm trying to give away the second copy of Gun Monkeys after I generously got it from Dambrosi. (Thanks Dambrosi!)

It doesn't work for me. I tried buying it for 50 cents and after clicking on the Paypal button, the page just reloads. Am I doing something wrong, or did they change that?

I think the issue is the page resets if the various contributions to indiegala, the devs and the charity are fractions of cents. Just adjust the sliders so they are whole cents.

I think the issue is the page resets if the various contributions to indiegala, the devs and the charity are fractions of cents. Just adjust the sliders so they are whole cents.

Not working for me either, the page just refreshes.
Even better is the guilt-trip captcha they put up...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, after some attempts it finally worked when I choose 1 cent. I feel bad now, because I was trying to give them 50x that amount, but they wouldn't take it. Their loss, I guess :p

Two things:
(1) I just bought the new stress bundle, but haven't seen an email with the key and it doesn't show up on my profile page... what can I do?
(2) Anyone have any advice on how to get that copy of gun monkeys I have as a steam gift to register with modbot's drunk ass?

Turfster

pretty much sums up that you somehow missed out on learning the battle focus system and just went rambo yourself instead.

Yeah... no. I don't Rambo. I play Florence Nightingale.
I keep having to babysit the morons and they still don't do jack shit.
"Oh you want me to focus fire on that guy so I draw his attention. Okay. Here's what I'll do. I WILL WALK RIGHT OVER TO HIM AND DIE IN THE PROCESS WITHOUT FIRING A SINGLE SHOT. Nope. Not coming back. YOU GAVE ME THIS MISSION AND BY GOD I WILL- Hey. Why aren't you coming to revive me? I'm dying, you know!"

_hekk05

Banned
Thanks Mavromatis for zeno clash and eets munchies. I will give these unwanted games love. Or at least until I find time for doto.

FloatOn

I must be incredibly lucky or something because whatever I told my squad to do in the bureau they would do.

the battle focus system was such that you didn't have to wait on the AI to do their thing. pretty much circumvents the whole dumb as bricks AI squad mate thing most shooters have.

Tellaerin

Is it just me, or is Hack, Slash, Loot really dull?

I mean, there's nothing glaringly wrong with the game per se. It's not horribly broken or anything. It's completely functional. It plays as advertised. I'm just finding it an incredibly boring experience. About the only thing playing it has done is to make me want to break out my tablet and play Pixel Dungeon.

FloatOn

I mean, there's nothing glaringly wrong with the game per se. It's not horribly broken or anything. It's completely functional. It plays as advertised. I'm just finding it an incredibly boring experience. About the only thing playing it has done is to make me want to break out my tablet and play Pixel Dungeon.

It seemed that way when I looked it up. Thankfully I had Dungeon of Dreadmor so I didn't have need for another roguelike. If you don't have that one yet I would look into it.

As far as I could tell, there are quite a lot of depth to the systems (in terms of resistances, chance to hit/damage etc etc), but the game does almost nothing to explain these to you and way too much of the experience seems random. Nice little time-waster though, for a couple of hours (as long as it took to get my car drops, pretty much).

Turfster

I must be incredibly lucky or something because whatever I told my squad to do in the bureau they would do.

the battle focus system was such that you didn't have to wait on the AI to do their thing. pretty much circumvents the whole dumb as bricks AI squad mate thing most shooters have.

You must be.
Seriously, I'm not hating on the game because it's "cool" or whatever.
I've been wrestling with this thing for 4 hours now, trying to herd and use my squadmates... but they're like cats... Cats that are determined to use up all their 9 lives.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

It happened like that to me too, but then I tried again and it went. Maybe It logged me in? I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom