• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
so which game wins Make war not love, I can't find any statistics on steam, probably being blind as always.

COH 2 is currently ahead with 51%, you can check www.makewarnotlove.com as the percentages get updated hourly.

Rome II should have dominated in this competition. It has a more active community and it is way easier to win campaign battles. To me it looks like a cheap SEGA marketing stunt wanting Rome II to lose as they will make a lot more money off it's DLC...

catabarez

but that's what I can't comprehend. Quality of writing is very much dependant on content, you can't have a good writing of gibberish, it doesn't work that way, does it?
And what you compare that writing to? Dostoevsky? Herman Hesse? Borges? Remarque? Hemingway? Lem? British Encyclopaedia?

But here you said it yourself, Indiana isn't about quality writing, it's about action, puns, adventure.
The problem I have with Unch, as with many games this gen, it feels too much like a movie, as you write.
It might be just my problem, that a game has to feel like a game, and understanding how a game feels might be personal too, not gonna ague with that.

That's part of my point, I yet to see a good action movie or game with good writing that compares to any good writing (><)

Well then almost nothing can be considered good writing if held to such a standard. Good writing of any particular genre has a scope of expectation. I don't go into watching Die Hard expecting a complex plot, the story told is well within my expectations of what a good action story should be.

Arthea

COH 2 is currently ahead with 51%, you can check www.makewarnotlove.com as the percentages get updated hourly.

Rome II should have dominated in this competition. It has a more active community and it is way easier to win campaign battles. To me it looks like a cheap SEGA marketing stunt wanting Rome II to lose as they will make a lot more money off it's DLC...

The site says CoH 2 is leading with 51%.

Thanks, definitely being blind, I couldn't see percents until you pointed out.
But how exactly Sega can influence results? You mean results are fake?

Well then almost nothing can be considered good writing if held to such a standard. Good writing of any particular genre has a scope of expectation. I don't go into watching Die Hard expecting a complex plot, the story told is well within my expectations of what a good action story should be.

But you guys are just proving my point, I don't go to an action movie expecting good writing, I would be disappointed all the time if I did that, I enjoy Transformers fgs! (><)
As in action games, I expect anything but good writing!

Sub Zero

Thanks, definitely being blind, I couldn't see percents until you pointed out.
But how exactly Sega can influence results? You mean results are fake?

Yeah, call me a conspiracy theorist but I think the whole thing's staged

Copons

But you guys are just proving my point, I don't go to an action movie expecting good writing, I would be disappointed all the time if I did that, I enjoy Transformers fgs! (><)
As in action games, I expect anything but good writing!

Ah, ok then!
Problem is that you think of good writing as an absolute value, while we as a relative (to the genre) one.

I guess it could work your way, but I can't say I agree at all. :)

derExperte

Huge thanks to Hoos for gifting me PixelJunk Shooter! It seems to be a fun little game, and I'm eager to try it tonight. Will report back with some impressions.

Fantastic game, best one in the PixelJunk series (Sidescroller comes close). Shooter 2 is good too but overdoes the difficulty.

Yeah, call me a conspiracy theorist but I think the whole thing's staged

There's 10,000 playing Rome 2 currently, and 2500 playing COH2. What types of battles contribute to that victory number to make COH2 lead by any percentage? That COH2 is winning despite the massive difference between player count suggests that it is staged.

Have they said what battles count as a victory in each game?

Jawmuncher

Well this is odd.
I have my games on the external HDD but they aren't all showing up on my games list.
However I can play them just fine if I select their exe from the external HDD.
Any suggestions?

Locust

There's 10,000 playing Rome 2 currently, and 2500 playing COH2. What types of battles contribute to that victory number to make COH2 lead by any percentage? That COH2 is winning despite the massive difference between player count suggests that it is staged.

Have they said what battles count as a victory in each game?

It's all here.
Basically, even singleplayer victories count and they're not just counting victories, but rather measuring which game is seeing a bigger increase in activity during the promotion compared to their usual average.

The promo DLC for the winning game will be free for 5 days.

Totally forgot to buy Analogue when I came home last night :(

Oh well, positive impressions from folks here mean it's now on my wishlist so I get a notification next time it goes on sale!

zkylon

zkylewd
my god xenosaga just went full legendary

it's sad that they didn't make 3 more games out of this because xenosaga 3 is just amazing.

I got to cd 2 and I'm hoping it won't be a xenogears kind of deal but even if it is, cd 1 was almost xenogears cd 1 good.

I'm gonna find the way to play xenoblade next. I guess wii emulators work kinda ok, rite?

Totally forgot to buy Analogue when I came home last night :(

Oh well, positive impressions from folks here mean it's now on my wishlist so I get a notification next time it goes on sale!
it's one of my favorite games from recent years. hate plus too

and also all other christine love's games

she's awesome

zkylon

zkylewd
Dolphin is what you want.

yea I looked for an emulator a while ago but haven't dug up much

I wonder how well it'll run on my 2 year old pc. I mean it's a pretty alright computer but it chugged pretty hard with titanfall on high settings so I dunno

hopefully it'll run fine, I don't have pretenses of downsampling or anything, just want to play it now

Knurek

I wonder how well it'll run on my 2 year old pc. I mean it's a pretty alright computer but it chugged pretty hard with titanfall on high settings so I dunno

Gamecube games work pretty much great for me (ghetto Pentium G2030 + Radeon 6770). WII are a bit more hit-and-miss - Xenoblade almost hits 100% which is downright annoying when played with sound).
You should be okay.

Jawmuncher

Hmm it's grabbing the games that were already there but not the ones I added.

Well I figured it out.
You need to install the game and just select the area where it's at.
Worked fine for the most part. But Marlow Briggs and Ys Origins crapped out and somehow deleted themselves but Steam said they were full files. Oh well.

zkylon

zkylewd
Gamecube games work pretty much great for me (ghetto Pentium G2030 + Radeon 6770). WII are a bit more hit-and-miss - Xenoblade almost hits 100% which is downright annoying when played with sound).
You should be okay.
ah alright, that's good to know

ty

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well I figured it out.
You need to install the game and just select the area where it's at.
Worked fine for the most part. But Marlow Briggs and Ys Origins crapped out and somehow deleted themselves but Steam said they were full files. Oh well.

When you install a game, Steam generates a manifest file that tells the client where the data is located, so if you move a game installation from one library folder to another, either Steam will consider the game uninstalled or it'll still be displayed as installed but won't actually work. To get around this you can reinstall it and point Steam to the correct library folder, as you've done, or fiddle with the manifest file yourself, but the quickest way is to just use a symbolic link.

SparkTR

Why

JESh2by.jpg

Knurek

Steam cares that you never had too much money, especially on February 20th!
I want banished the most, but I really need to finish at least some games finally, before buying new ones. So I'm safe, I think.

Day 1 Ikaruga for me, Japanese devs still need convincing that Steam is a great venue.
Rest - first 75% off sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ikaruga I don't care about so I'll pick it up on sale.
Banished I'll pick up later in the day because it unlocks at some ridiculous hour here.
Strider I've already pre-purchased because history suggests its pre-purchase goodies will not be released separately.

Parsnip

Tomb Raider story was awful.
At least the old ones had some character, the new one's just dull. Still relatively fun to play though.

Also the new voice for Lara is worse than it was in Legend/Anniversary/Underworld. Keeley Hawes for the win.

JakeD

ah alright, that's good to know

ty

just remember, it's never quite as plug and play as some dolphin enthusiasts try to make it seem. it requires a bit of tinkering and in some cases you'll spend more time messing around than you do playing. huge payoff though. (especially if you don't have any other alternative, like a wii)

the new "sort by possible value" feature in enhanced steam has made me $7 from 3 hours of idling

graywolf323

Ikaruga I don't care about so I'll pick it up on sale.
Banished I'll pick up later in the day because it unlocks at some ridiculous hour here.
Strider I've already pre-purchased because history suggests its pre-purchase goodies will not be released separately.

Strider is region locked right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tomb Raider story was awful.
At least the old ones had some character, the new one's just dull. Still relatively fun to play though.

Also the new voice for Lara is worse than it was in Legend/Anniversary/Underworld. Keeley Hawes for the win.

I'm really enjoying the game, despite it being real shit on paper. QTEs, unnecessary XP, leveling up, collectathon, unlock bullshit left and right. But the game is still really enjoyable. I especially like that I only paid $8 for it.

Did you try this method? http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1pluy3/how_to_use_a_dualshock_4_with_dark_souls/

It suggests an older version of x360ce.exe might help. I know whenever I've had rare problems with the wrapper, it has done the job.

Doesn't work :(

I'm really enjoying the game, despite it being real shit on paper. QTEs, unnecessary XP, leveling up, collectathon, unlock bullshit left and right. But the game is still really enjoyable. I especially like that I only paid $8 for it.

The QTEs are front loaded.

Use the Bow exclusively. Its pretty awesome.

edit : think that MGS5 thread is giving us a run for fastest thread. 11 pages in 7 hours. Really surprised it's not a graveyard yet.

Is it still possible to get Blur on steam anyway? Retail key or buying off Amazon or some other website? I've heard good things about it, and I've got itch for more racers right now.

Arthea

Is it still possible to get Blur on steam anyway? Retail key or buying off Amazon or some other website? I've heard good things about it, and I've got itch for more racers right now.

Blur is fun, and you can buy it for steam from people, but price isn't reasonable, and my retail copy doesn't redeem on steam, so, I suppose most don't if not all.\
I wish it was on steam too

JordanKZ

Blur is fun, and you can buy it for steam from people, but price isn't reasonable, and my retail copy doesn't redeem on steam, so, I suppose most don't if not all.\
I wish it was on steam too

The game was pulled last year from the store. I believe the only way to get it on Steam is to have bought it on Steam. The multiplayer servers are dead anyway and they were the major pull for me.

Arthea

The game was pulled last year from the store. I believe the only way to get it on Steam is to have bought it on Steam. The multiplayer servers are dead anyway and they were the major pull for me.

you still can buy from someone that has it as a gift in their inventory, I suppose? Just a few weeks ago someone in this very thread bought one. It just... it's really expensive.

FloatOn

Let's talk new vegas for a moment ok?

I had a chance to play a bit yesterday and probably won't get another chance until tomorrow so I have today to formulate a plan of attack.

I'm in freeside now doing random stuff with the ambition of either leveling up my science to convince the guard robots I'm cool to enter the strip or earning/steeling 2k in money.

I'm about halfway on the money end and I think I can get my science stat in about two levels. I tried brute forcing the robots and that didn't go well at all.

what would you do steamgaf?

Jawmuncher

When you install a game, Steam generates a manifest file that tells the client where the data is located, so if you move a game installation from one library folder to another, either Steam will consider the game uninstalled or it'll still be displayed as installed but won't actually work. To get around this you can reinstall it and point Steam to the correct library folder, as you've done, or fiddle with the manifest file yourself, but the quickest way is to just use a symbolic link.

Yeah going to set up the symbolic link now.
Wanted to move everything over first.

zkylon

zkylewd

I had a chance to play a bit yesterday and probably won't get another chance until tomorrow so I have today to formulate a plan of attack.

I'm in freeside now doing random stuff with the ambition of either leveling up my science to convince the guard robots I'm cool to enter the strip or earning/steeling 2k in money.

I'm about halfway on the money end and I think I can get my science stat in about two levels. I tried brute forcing the robots and that didn't go well at all.

science as a whole is a really useful skill to have that's helpful in many quests and for hacking so I'd spend some points there if you have the quests for the exp

if not 2k is not too much money to pay

or you could find another, cheaper way in ;)

Sub Zero

If I am not mistaken the Kings questline gives you a pass to the Strip at the end, so I'd recommend you to do that as it's extremely fun and you also get Rex as a companion

Go the science route, also as alternative you can do quests for the Kings and get an entry pass from their leader iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom