• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read so many different opinions on Alpha Protocol. Tell me what to think, SteamGAF!
Game sucks if you play it expecting an action game. It's an RPG, its mechanics are stats crunching even if the presentation doesn't seem it, and while the moment to moment level navigation and combat aren't anything special the way it handles character dialog and the ways it branches from there makes it worth experiencing.

You forgot the most important question:
How many games have a character as bro-tastic and awesome as Big Bo?
True that. And while people also love Cain, I think Rachel's pretty unique in the genre's landscape as far as character design goes.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is there a way of getting souls in Skyrim that isn't tedious? I'm playing as a mage and it hurts my magicka reserves (and my patience) to cast Soul Trap before every encounter. Plus I seem to have no way of knowing what level soul I'd be getting either.

Enchant a weapon with soul trap, but you'll "waste" the charges every time you attack somebody, so, what I do, is I attack a monster with a weapon and, when it's about to die, I change to the Soul Trapping weapon.

You could level up your conjuration spell and unlock the perk that makes all bound weapons to cast soul trap on every attack, so you wouldn't have to care about charges.

You could do the Daedric quest that gives you the Mace of Molag Bal, which I believe captures souls on every attack as well.

Either way, casting Soul Trap shouldn't really be that hurtful to your Magicka reserves, as it's a Novice spell, I believe. Did you level up the tree and perk that makes that kind of spell cost less Magicka? Since you're a wizard, you should. I think it's in the Illusion tree? I don't remember.

There used to be a bug that, if you gave like 40 soul stones to a companion and then gave him a weapon that had soul trap in it, when he killed some monster with that weapon, ALL the soul stones would be charged at once. But I'm not sure if that was fixed on the last patches or not.

sprinkles

bundlestars neo retro bundle
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/neo-retro-bundle/
Jets'n'Guns Gold STEAM - WIN / MAC / LINUX
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition STEAM - WIN
3089 – Futuristic Action RPG FPS STEAM - WIN / MAC / LINUX
Ethan: Meteor Hunter STEAM - WIN
Universe Sandbox STEAM - WIN
Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual STEAM - WIN
3079 – Block Action RPG FPS STEAM - WIN / MAC / LINUX
Realms of Arkania – Complete Classic Trilogy STEAM - WIN
Aw, dudes. Realms of Arkania aka "Das Schwarze Auge - Die Nordlandtrilogie". I spent way too much time during my teens on these games, on the second one especially. Still funny that I recognized the cover art in this bundle, but had to think to connect the dots as I only remembered the German names for these classics - this bundle is bought, I don't even care what the other games are.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
1. Alpha Protocol is brilliant and as far as I'm concerned completely shames Bioware in terms of dialogue and choices affecting the game. Buy the fucker pronto.

2. Go with the pistol and level it up pronto. It's a beast.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Looks like GMG is having a bundle sale, some pretty good deals in there.

Also a new 20% off Coupon when you make a purchase of 10 or more £/$/€

OQE4LG-WEQPSE-SMCME1

The_Monk

I thought Grief was only banned for 2 weeks, it felt like he's been banned for a month

He will be free from his punishment in about 24 hours fellow GAFfer.

By the way, his thoughts on SteamWorldDig:

Grief.exe:

"I personally loved it. Its a Metroidvania-lite, and I can't stress the lite part. The game has you continunally digging downward, collecting resources and exploring all while upgrading your items and abilities.

SteamWorld knows its mechanics and does not overstay its welcome, ending at the perfect moment, rather than dragging on. The artstyle is gorgeous in HD and the gameplay is always satisfying. Strong recomend from me."

ij8IX0qEQjCuP.png

It's a great concept, has great writing, but ganky as hell gameplay and quite buggy.

It's worth a shot at that price if curious, a very flawed gem.

Game sucks if you play it expecting an action game. It's an RPG, its mechanics are stats crunching even if the presentation doesn't seem it, and while the moment to moment level navigation and combat aren't anything special the way it handles character dialog and the ways it branches from there makes it worth experiencing.

You're mistaken: you've read opinions saying it is a great game. You've read lies saying it isn't.
Sounds like my kind of game then
Got Steam World Dig and Alpha Protocol in my cart

I'd recommend Type:Rider. It's not the longest game, and it' isn't the best platformer ever, but the atmosphere and art style is fantastic. The way levels are crafted from the history of typography makes the game a visual treat

So I'll stand in for Grief and say Steamworld Dig is totally worth the five bones. Awesome game, it's like Dig Dug with persistent mines that you dig out and Metroid-styled upgrades. had a blast with the 3DS version.

Does anyone know why the price of Bundle Stars bundles fluctuate very slightly over the course of the ~30 days they're active? It's usually just by a few cents - is it a currency exchange thing?

Tesseract

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

tumblr_md8a00jqox1qbhc2sfv.gif

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-3C7E18326DDAD199 - Taken by topyy

it's a mystery of universally sandboxed proportions!

def sim

Damn. I have the same problem with BF4, but I think that's thanks to the shitty browser. I launch the Titanfall.exe from Steam and it has no problems.

Ah well it's good to know it's because I'm doing something wrong rather than it being an impossibility. I'll try different configurations later on.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello everyone, hope you are enjoying yourself with whatever you are doing. I rescued a penguin in Ice Caves from being frozen by a mastodon that was freezing everyone, it was cranky with no coffee me thinks.

I still was crushed in the following stage seconds in.

So now that I am done with Spelunky for the time being. How is 3089 for single player only? Still worth getting?

What's people's opinion on Steamworld Dig?

I've heard people say good things about it but none of the gameplay videos I've seen have sold me on it tbh.

mannerbot and I had a back and forth on that last December, regarding the praise the game gets and why some of (me for example) do love it. Perhaps one of our opinions will share some insight to help you out.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=93780245#post93780245

I've read so many different opinions on Alpha Protocol. Tell me what to think, SteamGAF!

Alpha Protocol is a very good game when it's flaws are accepted for what they are and what type of game play it is. They key of course is to remember like Deadly Premonition it is to be played for it's story, albeit one of your own making with dialogue choices and action choices (far better than Mass Effect), and that of course it's shooting is all based on dice rolls because it is a RPG (not far off from how Crimson Shroud determines damage). It's a game where trying to be the catch-all, get every ability, anything can do will result in a rather poor third person shooter, while a planned play style and skill forcus (e.g. stealth, master with pistols, sneaking around) will provide a rewarding experience that games like Fallout 3 and Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't really attempt to reach for role playing. The most recommend is pistols only to try and make it closest to third person shooter and while that's the easiest for some, I don't believe its the best nor the most fun.

The main strength of the game is what it allows you to do. If you ever wanted a game where you could play as James Bond, the action heavy lady swooning, master spy who overcomes great challenges to save the day though he loses people close to him, you can with a wonderful story you create. You however can then take it the opposite way and play it as just a terrible human being who is only a spy because someone in a position of power forces it to happen, while constantly making terrible decisions like that of Archer. I personally recommend at least one play through as the world's worst spy who bumbles his way through everything and no one should ever trust him with an ounce of opportunity, but he somehow saves they day barely.
All perfectly valid ways to play as a spy and you get three different stories and dialogue paths out of it that more games should try to be. Makes it quite easy to play it a second or third time down the road.

Yes it's a flawed game, yes it has bugs, but a lot can be enjoyed as an action RPG where any complaints about shooting a gun and missing is about as valid as swinging an axe in Diablo through an enemy and missing, just something you have to accept as possible. Not for all, but if you can get into it, just lot's of fun to be all those different spies. Some really love the emotionless psychopath take.

kevin1025

Banned
Alpha Protocol is now mine! Been really interested in playing this one, it's the only Obsidian game I've missed out on.

Any opinions on Avadon 2?

Enchant a weapon with soul trap, but you'll "waste" the charges every time you attack somebody, so, what I do, is I attack a monster with a weapon and, when it's about to die, I change to the Soul Trapping weapon.

You could level up your conjuration spell and unlock the perk that makes all bound weapons to cast soul trap on every attack, so you wouldn't have to care about charges.

You could do the Daedric quest that gives you the Mace of Molag Bal, which I believe captures souls on every attack as well.

Either way, casting Soul Trap shouldn't really be that hurtful to your Magicka reserves, as it's a Novice spell, I believe. Did you level up the tree and perk that makes that kind of spell cost less Magicka? Since you're a wizard, you should. I think it's in the Illusion tree? I don't remember.

There used to be a bug that, if you gave like 40 soul stones to a companion and then gave him a weapon that had soul trap in it, when he killed some monster with that weapon, ALL the soul stones would be charged at once. But I'm not sure if that was fixed on the last patches or not.
While it doesn't help with attaining souls, I use this mod for weapon enchantments: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/42356/?

The_Monk

Hello everyone, hope you are enjoying yourself with whatever you are doing. I rescued a penguin in Ice Caves from being frozen by a mastodon that was freezing everyone, it was cranky with no coffee me thinks.

You did well my friend. Thank you for bringing kindness to this world! Lack of Coffee can be dangerous for some so I agree.

Any thoughts on the Flatout games?
Here's what I've gathered from previous mentions
3: sucks, made by different devs
Ultimate Carnage: best one, but has GFWL
2: really good, no GFWL

Is Guilty Gear Iska worth hunting for? I've heard some rather abysmal opinions about it.
It's just this weird spinoff that's not really worth playing unless you really want to have some goofy 4-player local sessions. As a Guilty Gear game it's not good.

Syril

What's Gaffer's opinion on Aarklash: Legacy?

I love it. It's kind of like League of Legends as an RPG adventure where you're controlling the entire party and can pause the game to give commands. The party members have mechanics that you have to play around and a lot of abilities call for proper timing and positioning to maximize their potential. Everyone can upgrade each of their skills along different paths, some of which radically change the usage and functionality, and you can respec everyone whenever you want outside of battle at no cost, letting you experiment with different parties and builds that change how you approach encounters.

Bottom line, try the demo, it's literally the game from the beginning up until the first new party member joins, and if you like that, it's totally worth $8.40.

Benedict

Card City Nights is part of the Playfire/GMG beta program this week. .
It's sold for half price still at Steamstore.
It has cards (you can sell)

these are the rewards at the Playfire beta:
Play Card City Nights for the first time - £0.10
Unlock 10 Damage Combo in Card City Nights - £0.50
Unlock 9 Card Combo in Card City Nights - £0.50
Unlock 5 Turn Win! in Card City Nights - £0.10
Unlock 6 Card Combo in Card City Nights - £0.25
Unlock Complete Game in Card City Nights - £0.25
Unlock 8 Turn Win! in Card City Nights - £0.10
Unlock 5 Damage Combo in Card City Nights - £0.10

Here's what I've gathered from previous mentions
3: sucks, made by different devs
Ultimate Carnage: best one, but has GFWL
2: really good, no GFWL

It's just this weird spinoff that's not really worth playing unless you really want to have some goofy 4-player local sessions. As a Guilty Gear game it's not good.
Ugh...why does the best one have to be the one with GFWL?
Guess I'll go with 2

The_Monk

Alright fellow GAFfers I can't decide to get either Alpha Protocol or Binary Domain and I'm only getting one (and it's only because I want a little thing for myself) so I'll let you all decide. :D

Vote now for such hard choice in here:

http://strawpoll.me/1173331

I might then play the game live for those that care about such things but I'm still learning about this streaming thing (and I'm also saving for a Mic and a HD Webcam).

Voting result may not be the final decision.
Alpha Domain or Binary Protocol are not possible answers.

For all the "jank" comments I didn't have a single issue with Alpha Protocol outside of some of its AI behaviors- which most games have to a degree.

Every negative is demolished by ten positives, I felt like I was playing a proper Metal Gear Solid RPG written by Obsidian-

OH I WAS.

for those that hated the pipe mania mini game in bioshock look at the shit alpha protocol makes you do:

ap7.jpg

That minigame with time, in addition to the upgrade, gets much easier. At first, it's so obtuse you want to skip them all. But eventually, your eye gets trained to the it. I don't sweat them at all, and I haven't even come close to finishing the game (a slight lack of interest and a solid indie backlog is to thank for that.)

As for anyone thinking about Steamworld Dig... do it. Fantastic little game that will have you engrossed before you're willing to admit you are. Just one more dig...

And last... any opinions on Guns of Icarus Online? I was interested in the idea when the singleplayer game came out and aspirations of multiplayer were all that was around, but, for whatever reason, never jumped on it. The price of entry is pretty low here. Is it worth it or is it more headache than it's worth?

Arthea

I've played Metal Slug 3 for less than half an hour, feels like I did some heavy lifting for half a day.
Dunno about you, I got so soft during latest gen, that's not even funny
nah, it is funny in pitiful way

Also tempted by Alpha Protocol, but I won't be playing in several years still
I need to finish that many games :(

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Aw, dudes. Realms of Arkania aka "Das Schwarze Auge - Die Nordlandtrilogie". I spent way too much time during my teens on these games, on the second one especially. Still funny that I recognized the cover art in this bundle, but had to think to connect the dots as I only remembered the German names for these classics - this bundle is bought, I don't even care what the other games are.

yeah, played these to death back then too :)

i just checked the games and the german versions are using the awesome CD audio from the CD-Rom versions (and the old password protection system, there is a PDF with the passwords in the game folder :p)

The english versions just use the MIDI audio and have no password protection

it looks like they just dumped an ISO of the old CD versions instead of changing the audio tracks to MP3s or FLACs

Sternenschweif is almost 1GB (2CDs lots of audio) big, the englisch version only 50MB :p

OST for the first game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOliRH7gS8w&list=PLA7F035102D2D51A8

nexen

yeah, played these to death back then too :)

i just checked the games and the german versions are using the awesome CD audio from the CD-Rom versions (and the old password protection system, there is a PDF with the passwords in the game folder :p)

The english versions just use the MIDI audio and have no password protection

it looks like they just dumped an ISO of the OLD CD versions instead of changing the audio tracks to MP3s or FLACs

Sternenschweif is almost 1GB (2CDs lots of audio) big, the englisch version only 50MB :p
kein fair. das ist nicht fair. >:[

Tellaerin

Alright fellow GAFfers I can't decide to get either Alpha Protocol or Binary Domain and I'm only getting one (and it's only because I want a little thing for myself) so I'll let you all decide. :D

Vote now for such hard choice in here:

http://strawpoll.me/1173331

I might then play the game live for those that care about such things but I'm still learning about this streaming thing (and I'm also saving for a Mic and a HD Webcam).

Voting result may not be the final decision.
Alpha Domain or Binary Protocol are not possible answers.

At first I was going to vote for Binary Domain because robots, but I know you enjoy RPG's and Alpha Protocol's supposed to be a damn good one. So that's what I voted for. (I also thought it'd make an interesting stream, if you decide to do that.)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just to give some background for whenever I recommend a game, I basically have a PhD because I can install linux.

So keep that in mind when I tell you that Alpha Protocol's minigames are easy, breezy, beautiful, covergirl.

JakeD

i bought knock-knock on GOG when it came out. i emailed ice-pick lodge with proof of purchase and asked nicely and they sent me a steam key. very cool of them.

nexen

Just to give some background for whenever I recommend a game, I basically have a PhD because I can install linux.

So keep that in mind when I tell you that Alpha Protocol's minigames are easy, breezy, beautiful, covergirl.

I installed Linux once, but there were no achievements or cards so I didn't play with it for very long.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
kein fair. das ist nicht fair. >:[

yeah it's kind of strange...

i bet they never released the CD versions outside of germany and couldn't be bothered digging out the old code to update the englisch versions, sucks for non german speaking people...

btw, the second one Star Trails/Sternenschweif is imo one of the best RPGs ever made!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Alpha Protocol is mine, all mine! :D
Been waiting for it to go on sale for a loooong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom