• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

yeah it's kind of strange...

i bet they never released the CD versions outside of germany and couldn't be bothered digging out the old code to update the englisch versions, sucks for non german speaking people...

btw, the second one Star Trails/Sternenschweif is imo one of the best RPGs ever made!

I'm considering learning German to play the game the way it was intended by the authors.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I installed Linux once, but there were no achievements or cards so I didn't play with it for very long.

I recently did an HTPC build running XBMC and MythTV under linux and let me tell you, every time I see a "PVR Started" notification in the right hand corner, it feels like an achievement.

Alright fellow GAFfers I can't decide to get either Alpha Protocol or Binary Domain and I'm only getting one (and it's only because I want a little thing for myself) so I'll let you all decide. :D

Vote now for such hard choice in here:

http://strawpoll.me/1173331

I might then play the game live for those that care about such things but I'm still learning about this streaming thing (and I'm also saving for a Mic and a HD Webcam).

Voting result may not be the final decision.
Alpha Domain or Binary Protocol are not possible answers.
I've played the demo for Binary Domain and the action is great, blowing robots apart is endlessly satisfying, and your weapons feel powerful

But I voted for Alpha Protocol, because it's supposed to a great game and I value narrative and choice

FloatOn

Alright fellow GAFfers I can't decide to get either Alpha Protocol or Binary Domain and I'm only getting one (and it's only because I want a little thing for myself) so I'll let you all decide. :D

Binary Domain is the easy answer. Bo and Cain are worth the price of admission alone.

I'm not going to talk about how crappy Alpha Protocol is again.

nexen

I recently did an HTPC build running XBMC and MythTV under linux and let me tell you, every time I see a "PVR Started" notification in the right hand corner, it feels like an achievement.

Do you just leave the thing running all the time? I never could run a media server because that part always bothered me. I'm old skool. Computers need their sleep.

Card City Nights is part of the Playfire/GMG beta program this week. .
It's sold for half price still at Steamstore.
It has cards (you can sell)

these are the rewards at the Playfire beta:
Play Card City Nights for the first time - £0.10
Unlock 10 Damage Combo in Card City Nights - £0.50
Unlock 9 Card Combo in Card City Nights - £0.50
Unlock 5 Turn Win! in Card City Nights - £0.10
Unlock 6 Card Combo in Card City Nights - £0.25
Unlock Complete Game in Card City Nights - £0.25
Unlock 8 Turn Win! in Card City Nights - £0.10
Unlock 5 Damage Combo in Card City Nights - £0.10

Interesting. You could buy the game for $1.99, use SAM for the achievements (which gives you nearly $4 of GMG credit), plus the value of the trading cards on the Steam market. Not bad.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man these dungeons are bland in Oblivion and Shivering Isles. It's like if the main quest of Skyrim had me go in one of those Dwarven dungeons for every other quest.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do you just leave the thing running all the time? I never could run a media server because that part always bothered me. I'm old skool. Computers need their sleep.

A few weeks on and I'm still tweaking everything. You basically have two options:

1) (What I'm doing now) Look at the "timer" section and see if you have a recording for the middle of the night or for a time when you won't be home; Set custom shutdown timer to automatically shut down the computer after the recording is done.

2) (What I want to set up): a custom sleep timer that, when the computer is put to sleep mode, checks the status of the recording timers and then automatically sets a wake command for just before the start of the recording.

Either way, I'd still probably turn the thing off every night.

Anteater

Binary Domain is the easy answer. Bo and Cain are worth the price of admission alone.

I'm not going to talk about how crappy Alpha Protocol is again.

seems like a choice between gameplay or story, never played AP myself but BD has a heavy focus on being an action shooter with cutscenes here and there, and picking the right answers to build up character affinity, I expect AP to be more focused on dialogue and such, BD is fun tho

Interesting. You could buy the game for $1.99, use SAM for the achievements (which gives you nearly $4 of GMG credit), plus the value of the trading cards on the Steam market. Not bad.

I've been told that GMG/PlayFire has ways of tracking if you've used SAM to unlock achievements for credit and banning your account from the program. Is it #TRUTHFACT? I don't know. But PlayFire/GMG tech/devs read this thread, so if they were somehow oblivious to SAM, they're not now. :p

I've not paid a lot of attention to the program because my account is still screwed up from having different GMG and PlayFire email addresses.

I've been told that GMG/PlayFire has ways of tracking if you've used SAM to unlock achievements for credit and banning your account from the program.

I've not paid a lot of attention to the program because my account is still screwed up from having different GMG and PlayFire email addresses.

Been doing it for the last couple months - never had a problem. Besides, I doubt they can track anything. The only risk is if you're playing VAC-enabled games or not.

Still, it's a great program - can't complain about free credit. I certainly buy enough from them as is.

FloatOn

seems like a choice between gameplay or story, never played AP myself but BD has a heavy focus on being an action shooter with cutscenes here and there, and picking the right answers to build up character affinity, I expect AP to be more focused on dialogue and such, BD is fun tho

Binary Domain had a surprisingly effective story. But don't just take my word for it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730945

Screen-Shot-2012-12-04-at-9.09.13-AM.png

Jawmuncher

So I was looking at the God Hand on Steam thread. While that's all fine and dandy.
What do you all think are the chances of Dino Crisis hitting steam if I were to perchance push for support on the matter? It is the 15th anniversary of DC after all this year and the least capcom could do is throw us a bone with something.

So I was looking at the God Hand on Steam thread. While that's all fine and dandy.
What do you all think are the chances of Dino Crisis hitting steam if I were to perchance push for support on the matter? It is the 15th anniversary of DC after all this year and the least capcom could do is throw us a bone with something.
Careful, it might be a zombie space dino bone...

I would appreciate it if they did put 1 & 2 on Steam, but I have a feeling we'll get RE1-3 first.

Hey guys. I've been a lurker for a long time, but finally a couple of weeks ago I decided to join in the fun. To celebrate, and as thanks for everything I learned from you guys, I thought of giving away a few keys I collected over the years.
They are not very recent, and most of you probably already have them, but I hope they will please someone.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Machinarium -- MB-D783507D8771FA06 - Taken by Spring-Loaded
Nikopol Secrets of the Immortals -- MB-0141A050D79A8DEE - Taken by Saty
Eufloria -- MB-0F62D9EEBC43BC36 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-ABD8B41653A5BAFF - Taken by Shalashaska
Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown -- MB-9E580ED83AFD9634 - Taken by Leg-End
Wasteland Angel -- MB-53CA252A892AB6CD - Taken by Sub Zero
Runespell Overture -- MB-CF99B0B5A1A1ACEF - Taken by topyy
Xotic -- MB-A5153DFDE937C5A4 - Taken by The Dear Leader
Splice -- MB-2E58B0CE261C78C7 - Taken by Vandrar
Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! -- MB-C000666A2FDFCA3D - Taken by Lyonaz

By the way, my Steam friend list is a little barren, so it would be nice if anyone added me. My profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/falexandre

FloatOn

I just looked it up. Apparently there was not only Dino Crisis on Dreamcast but there is also a version that was on windows back in 2000.

I would love to play this game again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
some stuff from the new bundlestars

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-DF60B9C0A47CECB3 - Taken by kevin1025. 6 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-634CFE5A8F1049AE - Taken by bronson. 6 entrants total.
3089 -- MB-066C13623E28950A - Taken by kulapik. 5 entrants total.
Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual -- MB-56ABE30EBAEF215B - Taken by Vandrar. 6 entrants total.

t1392667468z1.png

The_Monk

Hey guys. I've been a lurker for a long time, but finally a couple of weeks ago I decided to join in the fun. To celebrate, and as thanks for everything I learned from you guys, I thought of giving away a few keys I collected over the years.
They are not very recent, and most of you probably already have them, but I hope they will please someone.

I'm not entering but I do hope these can go to a good home.

Welcome to GAF and Steam-GAF by the way. Hope you can have great fun in this fine Community. :)

Anteater

Binary Domain had a surprisingly effective story. But don't just take my word for it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730945

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2012-12-04-at-9.09.13-AM.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

yeah I really like the story, but thought AP would be like Mass effect with all the dialogue choices

[quote="Jawmuncher, post: 101184245"]So I was looking at the God Hand on Steam thread. While that's all fine and dandy.
What do you all think are the chances of Dino Crisis hitting steam if I were to perchance push for support on the matter? It is the 15th anniversary of DC after all this year and the least capcom could do is throw us a bone with something.[/QUOTE]

dino crisis fanbase aren't really as vocal as the fans from other capcom's franchises, the first 2 games are pretty much in the same position as resident evil 1 and 2/onimusha where they might find difficult to port with all those prerendered backgrounds, capcom would probably want to do RE1+2 instead if they're to put in the effort, but imo if they are willing to port RE1 and 2, then dino crisis should come as well.

edit: oh I didn't know DC got a PC port :O

Tizoc

Never knew DC 1 and 2 actually got a PC release. Would be interesting if they can get past whatever license issues they stumble upon and get it released on Steam.
I for one would like to see what it'd look like with some fan mods.

nexen

A few weeks on and I'm still tweaking everything. You basically have two options:

1) (What I'm doing now) Look at the "timer" section and see if you have a recording for the middle of the night or for a time when you won't be home; Set custom shutdown timer to automatically shut down the computer after the recording is done.

2) (What I want to set up): a custom sleep timer that, when the computer is put to sleep mode, checks the status of the recording timers and then automatically sets a wake command for just before the start of the recording.

Either way, I'd still probably turn the thing off every night.
Oh, good. I'm not the only one.
I want to try this one day, but on one of those really small, cheap ass computers.

Leg-End

Thanks and friended, welcome to SteamGAF!

Jawmuncher

Both Dino Crisis 1 and 2 had PC ports. Much like RE 1-3 did. So a lot of the work for porting them over is already done. While Resident Evil would more than likely happen first, if those hit DC 1 and 2 might as well come along with. FF7 and FF8 releases show that people don't mind the older graphics or static backgrounds even on their newer computers.
But there's been no word from Capcom on even RE 1-3 hitting steam (Which would be the first step) once Sven left. Think he was the only person pushing for them. But then again RE4 came out of nowhere for Steam and that definitely took more work than some old ports would.

I'd much rather have a ports of Killer 7, No More Heroes and No More Heroes:Desperate Struggle. I have not enjoyed Suda's recent output--Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead--as much as his earlier games. I think this quote from that RPS article kind of crystalises my thoughts on what little I bothered to play of Killer Is Dead...

I’ve spoken to a couple of people who reckon Killer Is Dead marks the point when Suda 51 didn’t just jump the shark, but jumped the blue whale as well, and then landed in a tank of piranhas. They saw it as the point when the unusual collision of pop culture and a personal brand of surrealism fell away, revealing a far more ordinary mixture of meaningless titillation and violence.

"Grindhouse trashiness" feels like a pretty accurate description.

bronson

Card City Nights is part of the Playfire/GMG beta program this week. .
It's sold for half price still at Steamstore.
It has cards (you can sell)

these are the rewards at the Playfire beta:
Play Card City Nights for the first time - £0.10
Unlock 10 Damage Combo in Card City Nights - £0.50
Unlock 9 Card Combo in Card City Nights - £0.50
Unlock 5 Turn Win! in Card City Nights - £0.10
Unlock 6 Card Combo in Card City Nights - £0.25
Unlock Complete Game in Card City Nights - £0.25
Unlock 8 Turn Win! in Card City Nights - £0.10
Unlock 5 Damage Combo in Card City Nights - £0.10
Does the credit take a while to kick in? I got some achievements and nothing happened.

Anteater

Both Dino Crisis 1 and 2 had PC ports. Much like RE 1-3 did. So a lot of the work for porting them over is already done. While Resident Evil would more than likely happen first, if those hit DC 1 and 2 might as well come along with. FF7 and FF8 releases show that people don't mind the older graphics or static backgrounds even on their newer computers.
But there's been no word from Capcom on even RE 1-3 hitting steam (Which would be the first step) once Sven left. Think he was the only person pushing for them. But then again RE4 came out of nowhere for Steam and that definitely took more work than some old ports would.

yeah they may as well release those

capcom japan tho :/

you'll be missed Sven :(

The_Monk

Vote now for such hard choice in here:

http://strawpoll.me/1173331

I might then play the game live for those that care about such things but I'm still learning about this streaming thing (and I'm also saving for a Mic and a HD Webcam).

Voting result may not be the final decision.
Alpha Domain or Binary Protocol are not possible answers.

Quoting for the new page for those that care about this silly Vote, will grab something to eat (and coffee perhaps) and will be making my purchase based on the winning vote.

Will also make a small Stream test to see if I can get something with an acceptable quality. ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Courtesy of the ghost of ClovingWestbrook:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-BBA8BE8EE097A885 - Taken by Dice

By the way, my Steam friend list is a little barren, so it would be nice if anyone added me. My profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/falexandre

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom