• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
And thats this years Assassins Creed completely completed. I think I'm just below Jase in terms of having a compulsion to do EVERYTHING in them (Except the chests and fragments scattered on random islands. Fuck those 30 remaining collectables), but I'm not quite sure why.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone have impressions on this game? Is it actually any fun?

Well, it's a cross between Football Manager and The Sims. Reviews are generally favorable though, with what looks like the overwhelming complaint being that it's hard to manage your team, since they do things like go out to bars and get drunk when not at practice.

If you enjoy Football (or if you're American and enjoy "Soccer") and team-sim games like Football Manager, it's probably worth checking out for $2.49.

has anyone actually bought this? both me and my buddy can't get the coupon to work. i suppose its possible we are both just out of coupons.

I haven't bought it yet, but I just looked at the checkout screen and it applied the $5 discount. So, maybe you're out of coupons?

Acccent

Sorry about this tiny bit of o/t - if you live in Sydney please read
I'm going there in March, it's totally random and unplanned, and I'm looking for somewhere to crash in anytime between the 4th and the 20th - even a few days, or a single night, would help. Please PM me if you have a free couch!

JakeD

I haven't bought it yet, but I just looked at the checkout screen and it applied the $5 discount. So, maybe you're out of coupons?

I just purchased it and the $5 discount applied fine.

oh bummer. this sale looked like such a dud early in the month yet i still managed to use 5 or 6 coupons

if anyone has any extra and is willing to buy it, i can paypal $3 or buy a trading card if you prefer wallet funds

For some reason my Steam always starts in list view now, and always points to GTA III, which I don't even have installed. Kinda annoying (the latter, at least)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For some reason my Steam always starts in list view now, and always points to GTA III, which I don't even have installed. Kinda annoying (the latter, at least)

It did that to me for a long long while. I figured out that it was doing GTA III since I had a category called "Apple" that I kept collapsed, and alphabetically GTAIII was the topmost entry in my topmost category.

I believe re-installing Steam was what eventually fixed it, though occasionally it will still go there when I start up Steam.

StAidan

Speaking of client weirdness.

Starting a few days ago, my Steam client takes me to the Store view every time I bring it up by double-clicking on the tray icon. Before that, it was always pretty good about showing me my most recently-used library game.

Caerith

Starting a few days ago, my Steam client takes me to the Store view every time I bring it up by double-clicking on the tray icon. Before that, it was always pretty good about showing me my most recently-used library game.

You learn that the gods cannot be forced to divulge information about the future, and that the most powerful omens are those which arrive unexpectedly.

It's a sign that you should buy more games.

jediyoshi

Settings -> Interface -> Favorite window

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Remember that post where I said I didn't like Papers, please much? Well, it's clicking more and more the further in I get. At day 23 now and it's really growing on me. I like that you can 'try out' a certain ending, then return to the previous day and go for a different course of action.

The_Monk

I just finished Gone Home fellow GAFFers:

QNWyMZ7.png

First of all I can see why there's a big discrepancy among many opinions about this game. Some people liked it, others really disliked it. The important thing to understand in here is, we all have different tastes and some games are simply not for everyone as much they would like.

After finishing the game I remembered that I had not open a safe because I was looking for a code and then I got distracted. The Story gets more and more clear as you find more and more journal entries. I believe the less entries you discover, the less information you get and therefore the less Story plot you get. The house is filled with a lot of details that needs no writing for you to know what going on. It's clear that things were not okay among some family members and you can see this by the title of some books spread across the house, some letters or how the house was clearly divided for each family member (or, it was clear that they spent their time in each separate house division most of the time).

As I was listening to the journal entries and realizing what was going on I felt the theme a little depressive. There are games that can bring you many sort of emotions and I like to have this link with some games, however with this one I can't say that I shared any emotional link with the characters which is why I believe that some people may like more than others when it comes to the story of Gone Home.

It's really hard to tell more without spoiling the game, the ending, or how things turned up so I'll just make one final observation:

These games do not work for everyone, this is clear I know, however some games are better suited without a proper Story. Instead, let the player make their own story and the emotional link not only will be there but it will be easier since it's up to the creativity and immersion of the player and not about the Story of the game itself (which may or may not work).

Three games that come from the top of my head: Gone Home, Dear Esther and Journey (PS3). Journey was a emotional ride for me because I made the story myself which was easier to let myself immerse in the moment. Dear Esther was much more of a random story (for me) and then, there's Gone Home which sits in the middle, giving you a story but also providing some tiny loose ends that will let the player wonder some things.*

As always, apologies for the low grammar/English vocabulary.

topyy

I just finished Mafia II fellow GAFfers:

G5w808d.png

The above time spent and achievements comes from a playthrough on Medium difficulty. I believe I might missed 10-15 Achievements (such collectibles) and the rest is from the 2 side Stories which are both DLC.

Mafia II is a game that should be played manly for its Story. The pace is great from the very beginning were it tells the Story of your character when you were younger and how you end up doing what you are doing. You start doing little jobs here and there to get some money to pay a debt left by a family member. Right from the start you feel that family is the most important thing but as you go deeper and deeper you realize that it's hard to not involve the ones you care because of your decisions. As you go through the Story you experience a better life with better cars, a better house and most of all, more money, however, the main character wonders if this is what he really wanted to have when you end up doing things you may not feel proud of.

When you start the game it's Winter time. It's cold and it snows a lot. The roads are slippery and covered in snow. After some certain events I won't spoil, you return to the city during Spring time where everything feels more alive. More bright colors, people driving their convertible cars and the streets are finally filled with green grass without any sign of snow. As always, it's great to drive around town when it starts to rain. Feels good. This was a good idea to give you the feeling that time is passing. It's always interesting to see a different season after some time when playing a game.

The visuals are really well done. Facial animations are really good and they made a great job with the details on the characters faces such little scars or others "imperfections". The city feels amazing and things like bridges have great textures and look particulary well done. You can see that there was a big effort on the little details around the city too. Posters, prints and the Marketing about Cars, beer and other products are really well done using the culture from the time like the pin-up style.

There are not many side quests or activities to do as someone might expect from other open games but the Story makes up for it leaving you interested from start to finish. There are however some Collectibles that may extend your play through such the Playboy Magazines which is a nice touch and I'm sure it will take many more effort from players to search for them since they can be more interesting than, say, collecting dog tags or audio logs for completion purposes.

Bottom line, this was a good game with an interesting Story. I had great fun with it but I think it's time to move to the next game on my Backlog. I would honestly recommend this game and if you like the setting then you won't be disappointed to see the work they put in recreating these times paid of. *

Side curiosities:

- Some people requested this game to be banned in Italy due the fact that it could damage the portrait of Italian-Americans.

- It's one of the games that uses the "F" word the most (more than 200 times).

- While there are Playboy magazines to be collected these did not exist in the time the game was occurring (1945 to 1951) only 7 years later in 1953. As for the images from the game itself they are from 1958 to 1968.

As always, apologies for the low level of English/grammar skills.

how to finish this mission in chapter 14?
NPC didn't jump by himself,
this is a magazine collecting place.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just finished Gone Home fellow GAFFers:

QNWyMZ7.png

blirp

hmm, dunno, I feel like gone home's themes are more universal. like, ok, obviously not everyone's a lesbian teenage girl but everyone was a teenager dealing with sexuality (some people have more issues with it than others) and to a degree can appreciate and take some of the stuff sam's going through and just empathize. we all have our coming of age stories, falling in love for the first time, dealing with disappointing our parents, all that crap.

unlike say dear esther which is pretty much a totally random story that didn't say anything for me no matter how beautifully presented it was.

I think you can argue that gone home is bad if you don't think the delivery is good enough, like you didn't like the writing or the voiceacting or whatever, and that's for each to choose, but I found the game to be extremely relatable, specially as someone growing up in the 90s.

I should really play journey one of these days, I feel like I may miss on a lot if they shut down the servers or something (if they haven't already)

apologies for writing like I'm roleplaying *mute from analogue a hate story

jshackles

The next version of Enhanced Steam will have this:

lpNnRTc.png

If a game is available for a lower price somewhere with a coupon, that price (and coupon code) will be shown if the price after coupon is the lowest. So in the example above, The Banner Saga is cheapest on Gamefly after their coupon.

The system is also aware of region-specific coupon codes, such as Gamefly's US vs UK code and will display the code relevant to your region. So for example when browsing the same page in the GB region:

cv4G4lP.png

There will likely be some instances where a coupon code isn't valid for a certain game or possibly has expired (and hasn't yet been marked as expired in our database), but overall I think people will really like this change. Of course, there will be an option to disable this completely if you'd like to keep the existing price history system.

Acccent

I should really play journey one of these days, I feel like I may miss on a lot if they shut down the servers or something (if they haven't already)

[spoilers]apologies for writing like I'm *mute[/spoilers]

the journey servers probably aren't going down any time soon (there's a PS4 port incoming iirc) and they aren't empty at all either, you still always find people.

what do you mean, *mute? | post-edit: oh okay it's cool dw ≥◠◡◠≤ ✌

edit: also I haven't played Gone Home yet but I plan to do soon, with a close friend - me streaming and her watching... based on what I've read I assume the game lends itself well to this, ie. she'd be able to tell me to go look into drawers and stuff; am I wrong? And do you know other games which could be appropriate for this?

zkylon

zkylewd
the journey servers probably aren't going down any time soon (there's a PS4 port incoming iirc) and they aren't empty at all either, you still always find people.
oh cool

I really wish they added that playstation now thing to pc

[spoilers]what do you mean, *mute?[/spoilers]
edited my post for a bit of clarification

just a character from a game that talks a lot like me lol

edit: also I haven't played Gone Home yet but I plan to do soon, with a close friend - me streaming and her watching... based on what I've read I assume the game lends itself well to this, ie. she'd be able to tell me to go look into drawers and stuff; am I wrong? And do you know other games which could be appropriate for this?
uh sure I guess on the drawers thing, I kinda think gone home might be a game better played alone since it's mostly reading and such

it's also a cool experience of being like in a haunted house or something that just works better alone I think

The_Monk

I jumped and cleared out the building,but NPC is still in this place.
reload auto-save is not working too.

Can you quit the game or go Chapter Select and try it again from the Start? It might be a pain but it's a glitch the problem you are facing, I'm afraid. :/

it's also a cool experience of being like in a haunted house or something that just works better alone I think

Turned on every single light in each room. JUST to be sure. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
@accent

I think something like the walking dead or heavy rain would work really well with a copilot.

I remember playing heavy rain my brother and a friend of his and we were all yelling like KILL THE DUDE or SPARE HIM or crap like that

it was awesome, made the game 10x better

but in general I like playing games while I'm alone, specially the serious kind like gone home because it makes them feel more personal. I also have a lot of annoying tendencies in games like staring at random shit that interests me for some reason that I guess can be boring to my spectators.

Cth

Any thoughts on KickBeat? I love rhythm games and this one looks kind of cool, but it seemingly came out of nowhere.

PS3 wasn't fun at all for me.

You have to unlock the other character and the ability to play your own music by beating the game..

It's not casual friendly, but as a rhythm fan, it might be more suited to you.

I've heard they patched/made it easier for PC but I took it off my wishlist after trying the PS3 version.. maybe some future Steam sale I'll give it a shot.

jshackles

This would be a good subtitle for thread III.

I know we're still over 300 pages away, but someone seriously needs to remember this when the time comes.

@accent

I think something like the walking dead or heavy rain would work really well with a copilot.

they're a lot more enjoyable from the "fourth person" perspective for me. i'm a no gameplay critic of most Telltale games. they're not even as hard as old point and click adventure games. they're interactive movies/novels and i just make someone else play through them while chilling out. the neatest parts are when your choice is different from their choice.. but it's not a big deal anyway since it all squares out at the end.

Hawkie

One of my favourite games last year ~

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sang Froid -- MB-CDAA2B61D18FC97B - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 32 entrants total.

t1390877778z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
This would be a good subtitle for thread III.
I know we're still over 300 pages away, but someone seriously needs to remember this when the time comes.
I won't ever say no to fame

also why monk won't rhetoric my ass back

they're a lot more enjoyable from the "fourth person" perspective for me. i'm a no gameplay critic of most Telltale games. they're not even as hard as old point and click adventure games. they're interactive movies/novels and i just make someone else play through them while chilling out. the neatest parts are when your choice is different from their choice.. but it's not a big deal anyway since it all squares out at the end.
yeah pretty much

I mean I didn't like anything about the walking dead but it's a game I think would be a good game to call shotgun on

I feel that papers please might be really fun and annoying this way too lol

jshackles

Enhanced Steam for Firefox version 5.7 has been officially released and should update itself automatically the next time you restart your browser. This version incorporates MANY changes and new features that were previously available in the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam. In fact, there are too many new features to list here.

As always, if you run into any issues using this version, be sure to let me know!

EDIT: the lengths I go to....

Caerith

I think for TWD or The Wolf Among Us that they're best played alone for your "canon" choices, but it could be fun to play with others and pick the asshole choices (viz, never saying anything).

user237

But if you already have some of the games on GOG, they will price the package for you accordingly. GOG does packs right.

That's one of my favorite things about GOG. Wish steam would do the same thing with games and their DLCs when they have a Gold/Platinum/Complete pack on sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think for TWD or The Wolf Among Us that they're best played alone for your "canon" choices, but it could be fun to play with others and pick the asshole choices (viz, never saying anything).
that too but I feel it's better because of the debate it sparks when played with people

like, not with drunk friends wanting to ruin it up, but just everyone saying "that's what I'd do" and you reply "you're a sick human being" and the clock's ticking and the one with the controller is forced to pick with all that crazy shit going on

I dunno, it worked really well for me with heavy rain

One of my favourite games last year ~
entered this

I love the name of this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom