• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While I never use uPlay outside of a couple of PS3 games. I do wish other companies would take the idea of using points gained from "achievements" to allow unlocking of items or extra missions in games. That was nice in Driver San Francisco as stuff made after the game had already gone for printing.

Hmm, I have a really hard time spelling San Francisco correctly.

FloatOn

In unrelated news I just gave up on Sine Mora recently. The presentation of this game is really good, graphics are super spiffy, and I quite enjoy the odd alternate universe WWII setting that they have going on (even though the story doesn't make a lick of sense to me). But the shooting mechanics and levels just don't do it for me. The game is very unclear visually about what is and what isn't part of the background so I'm continually running into stuff or getting hit by things that I didn't realize I couldn't move past. The hitbox around the ship is not really very clear visually and the bullet patterns seem more random then planned. I like SHMUPs and I don't even think that I'm the pickiest about them mechanically (I'm not some Cave only diehard or anything like that) but this game just felt annoying.

I want to get back to Sine Mora one day since I am a casual fan of the genre. However the last time I played I got to the trash compactor level and it seems fairly impossible for someone of my skill level.

The presentation really is fantastic though.

Dr Dogg

You seem a little extreme.

But haven't you heard? Uplay has 700+ games now. They're on the up and up. You've got to speculate to accumulate.

Still doesn't change the fact that their content delivery system and patching services is something out of the late 90's

DocSeuss

Does anyone know how active the multiplayer for Aliens vs Predator game is? or is it more of a singleplayer buy at this point?

I was playing the single-player last night. Did NOT like it back when I first played it, ages ago, but... oddly? I found myself having fun. Deflecting alien melee attacks with MMB feels pretty nice. Accidentally killing yourself with a grenade doesn't--did I mention this game doesn't have ADS? And that the enemy AI is awesome?

If my 'extreme' you mean 'sarcastic', then yes. Yes he is.

I figured I'd respond to a clear dig with something other than "I see what you did there."

But haven't you heard? Uplay has 700+ games now. They're in the up and up. You've got to speculate to accumulate.

Still doesn't change the fact that their content delivery system and patching services is something out of the late 90's

Steam + Uplay is a match made in hell. Someone bought me a copy of Rayman Legends, then decided to get Steam to refund it, so they did, but it was tied into my Uplay account, and Steam for some reason kept thinking I owned the game and would try to patch it constantly.

Somehow, I ended up with AC4 regular instead of AC4 Gold over the Christmas sale, and realized the mistake when I booted it up, but that tied the regular AC4 key to my Uplay account, so after Steam corrected the problem... yeah, I don't have access to my Gold content (aside from the Season Pass, since Steam sends you a different key that you have to input to Uplay manually).

I didn't really have problems with Uplay before this. Now, I want to take a screwdriver and see how many people in Montreal I can kill.

Miguel81

But haven't you heard? Uplay has 700+ games now. They're in the up and up. You've got to speculate to accumulate.

I fear opening up uplay because of the ridiculous updating times.

yuraya

playing now : 180
today's peak : 247
all-time peak : 757

I would say SP

I was playing the single-player last night. Did NOT like it back when I first played it, ages ago, but... oddly? I found myself having fun. Deflecting alien melee attacks with MMB feels pretty nice. Accidentally killing yourself with a grenade doesn't--did I mention this game doesn't have ADS? And that the enemy AI is awesome?

Ok. Thanks for the responses :)

Smash88

Banned
I'm excited that we are getting closer to a release of whatever is Source 2.0 based.

But those tree textures are god awful.

Grief.exe

But those tree textures are god awful.

The viewable area is 696x398 you are telling me you can discern textures from that small of an image?

I'm zooming in right now to 400-500% image size and I can't see anything. The only thing popping out on me is the dynamic shadows in some of the shots.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thinking of picking this beast up to do some SteamOS / In-home streaming testing on. It should fit the bill.

Smash88

Banned
You can see the tree textures in that image?

The viewable area is 696x398 you are telling me you can discern textures from that small of an image?

I'm zooming in right now to 400-500% image size and I can't see anything. The only thing popping out on me is the dynamic shadows in some of the shots.

I'm not blind.

Also, when I say tree textures, I should have said tree leaves.

Maybe in regards to how flat the leaves/branches look?

Correct. Of course I can't see the tree trunk texture. I'm not CBoat.... or am I?

Miguel81

Seems like more of a Source 2 leak than a LFD3 leak, but I guess it stands to reason that Source 2 would power LFD3/HF3

Ah, may grab for nostalgic reasons. Remember playing those when I was 12 or 13 (I'm old)

You must be around my age then. I will be 33 in April.

Grief.exe

I am tree

tn0ah94.jpg

Tame

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rome: Total War -- MB-D732151ABA133B56 - Taken by The_Monk

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A floppy drive and a Windows Vista case sticker...buy that baby and send it to the Smithsonian!

From what I gather, in-home streaming and Steam OS itself don't use a lot of horsepower. This box should have more than enough to handle it, and even has a gigabit Ethernet adapter. I'll toss in something small and cheap like this low-profile card (for HDMI output), and I'll have a $100 testing rig.

Is there a way to access Steam on your internet browser without needing to check your email for a password and then logging in, every single time? It's a bit inconvenient.

The_Monk

Thank you for this fellow GAFfer, I got the physical edition but it does not activate on Steam even the other titles and DLC do. My DVD drive have been having some trouble reading (and making strange clicking noises) so now this is one less thing to worry.

LldU1BGl.jpg

jshackles

Is there a way to access Steam on your internet browser without needing to check your email for a password and then logging in, every single time? It's a bit inconvenient.

Make sure that your browser isn't set to delete cookies automatically. Or if it is, set an exception for Steam. Getting Steamguard every time is an indication that the Steam cookie is being deleted or that cookies aren't enabled.

From what I gather, in-home streaming and Steam OS itself don't use a lot of horsepower. This box should have more than enough to handle it, and even has a gigabit Ethernet adapter. I'll toss in something small and cheap like this low-profile card (for HDMI output), and I'll have a $100 testing rig.

Currently it's pretty CPU-bound. No hw encoding, so the host needs power. And if the client doesn't support hw decoding then it requires multiple threads.

jshackles

Currently it's pretty CPU-bound. No hw encoding, so the host needs power. And if the client doesn't support hw decoding then it requires multiple threads.

Ah good to know. I guess I'll hold off for now.

Volimar

Can finally use the market. Trying to decide what cards to sell and what to try to craft. Need to get my level up so I can actually get some boosters.

Dr Dogg

Steam + Uplay is a match made in hell. Someone bought me a copy of Rayman Legends, then decided to get Steam to refund it, so they did, but it was tied into my Uplay account, and Steam for some reason kept thinking I owned the game and would try to patch it constantly.

Somehow, I ended up with AC4 regular instead of AC4 Gold over the Christmas sale, and realized the mistake when I booted it up, but that tied the regular AC4 key to my Uplay account, so after Steam corrected the problem... yeah, I don't have access to my Gold content (aside from the Season Pass, since Steam sends you a different key that you have to input to Uplay manually).

I didn't really have problems with Uplay before this. Now, I want to take a screwdriver and see how many people in Montreal I can kill.

After my Blacklist ordeal I'm never buying anything from the Uplay store for the foreseeable future. Thankfully it was free with my card. What's bizarre is that the version of the same game on Steam works fine (well now any way) but the patching routine and updates are broken to hell and back if you bought a retail or Uplay copy.

Even more baffling is the Black Flag which I also got free and is Uplay only has been perfect.

Thinking of picking this beast up to do some SteamOS / In-home streaming testing on. It should fit the bill.

That's a sweet deal. I would think you could get away with a middle of the road low profile card in that as I'm using an old laptop with an ancient APU just chucked behind the tv and nothing I've tried so far has used more than 2gb of the 3g combined ram installed.

Make sure that your browser isn't set to delete cookies automatically. Or if it is, set an exception for Steam. Getting Steamguard every time is an indication that the Steam cookie is being deleted or that cookies aren't enabled.

Yeah, I got Steamguard. I have an exception for cookies from "store.steampowered.com", but I still have to login each time. I'll work on it.

louiedog

Ah good to know. I guess I'll hold off for now.

FWIW I've had good luck testing on an early 2009 single core 1.8 ghz atom netbook. Older/indie games work great, newer games do not, but I'm assuming it's more due to the older CPU in the host machine not having enough leftover resources for the encoding in those cases because it doesn't seem like it should be much different on the client end. Of course that also means I'm decoding 600p video, not 1080p, because Steam is sending it at the netbook's resolution. Something connected to a TV is going to want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom