• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Gone Home had added appeal and immersion for me since its set in and they made a lot of references to the city that I live in (as the studio is set in the same city). Seriously, I don't know if people who don't know the area would catch onto it, but everything they made reference to in the game is real, from the bands to the locations and some local Portland merchandising.

It makes sense as they are located here they knew local things. Even those pizza boxes laid all over the place are based on a real small pizza chain settled here. For me it added to a certain level of immersion but also surrealism as it all seemed so normal.

zkylon

zkylewd
Gone Home had added appeal and immersion for me since its set in and they made a lot of references to the city that I live in (as the studio is set in the same city). Seriously, I don't know if people who don't know the area would catch onto it, but everything they made reference to in the game is real, from the bands to the locations and some local Portland merchandising.

It makes sense as they are located here they knew local things. Even those pizza boxes laid all over the place are based on a real small pizza chain settled here. For me it added to a certain level of immersion but also surrealism as it all seemed so normal.

that's pretty cool

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I did not know this, but now that I do this game has moved dangerously close to the top of my backlog.

Yeah, Gone Home has a crazy amount of detail.

hohoXD123

Wow, I knew the attention to detail was great but didn't think it was on this level.

Copons

Totally envying you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZt-pOc3moc

Also I totally love the riot grrrl scene, so I spent plenty of time just listening to tapes scattered around!

Hinomura

The next version of Enhanced Steam will have this:

The system is also aware of region-specific coupon codes, such as Gamefly's US vs UK code and will display the code relevant to your region. So for example when browsing the same page in the GB region:

Imho this could lead to misunderstandings: for instance there's a little problem here in EU if you're not in UK. Some e-shops let you buy with UK prices (ie GameFly), some shops don't (ie GMG), some shops have both (ie gamesplanet, gamersgate).
And what about possible USD prices for EU ppl? (ie region free stuff on Amazon).

Again, thanks for your efforts ^__^

Volcynika

Master Reboot had my interest during the holiday sale but didn't get a big enough discount. Though it's on weekly and it tempts me!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Imho this could lead to misunderstandings: for instance there's a little problem here in EU if you're not in UK. Some e-shops let you buy with UK prices (ie GameFly), some shops don't (ie GMG), some shops have both (ie gamesplanet, gamersgate).
And what about possible USD prices for EU ppl? (ie region free stuff on Amazon).

Again, thanks for your efforts ^__^

The price information in Enhanced Steam comes from IsThereAnyDeal.com, who automatically takes things like this into account. Enhanced Steam sends some data (such as the country code you're browsing Steam in) when getting these results. So for example with Amazon they automatically return the price that matches your Steam store price.

As to the new feature that displays coupon codes, they also keep a database of which coupon codes work in which regions, etc though again it may not be 100% accurate at any given point in time. If you find that you're consistently having problems with the coupon data, there will be an option to disable it.

Hinomura

The price information in Enhanced Steam comes from IsThereAnyDeal.com, who automatically takes things like this into account. Enhanced Steam sends some data (such as the country code you're browsing Steam in) when getting these results. So for example with Amazon they automatically return the price that matches your Steam store price.

As to the new feature that displays coupon codes, they also keep a database of which coupon codes work in which regions, etc though again it may not be 100% accurate at any given point in time. If you find that you're consistently having problems with the coupon data, there will be an option to disable it.

I know the data is from IsThereAnyDeal (and they don't check these things), I think (if it's possible) it could be great if you can disable "regional pricing" in ES via options :)

So I was playing Tales of Maj'Eyal while my internet was down and I must say the game is surprisingly fun and very hard
(I died in the tutorial xD)
. The character/class creation is very deep with 4 races, and their respective sub-races unlocked at the start, and the same goes for the classes and their specializations. The skills are diversified and offers a lot of customization and support to different kinds of playstyle.

The graphics are very basic, but I don't think if someone is interested in it could be put off by it.

So I want to start a new game but I don't know what to play, help me decide. I haven't played any of them before.

Bioshock Infinite
Dishonored
Fable
Half Life
Max Payne
Tomb Raider

Turfster

So I want to start a new game but I don't know what to play, help me decide. I haven't played any of them before.

Bioshock Infinite
Dishonored
Fable
Half Life
Max Payne
Tomb Raider
If you feel like an older game: Half Life (apply crowbar to face) or Max Payne (matrixdodgepewpew)
If you feel like a recent game: Dishonored (stealthy ghost/bloodsoaked murder machine) or Tomb Raider (platforming, arrows to knees)

Tenrius

Bioshock Infinite
Dishonored
Fable
Half Life
Max Payne
Tomb Raider

Max Payne. From that list I wouldn't really recommend Fable and perhaps Tomb Raider. I also haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet. Other games get an a-OK from me!

eyeless

Enhanced Steam for Firefox version 5.7 has been officially released and should update itself automatically the next time you restart your browser. This version incorporates MANY changes and new features that were previously available in the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam. In fact, there are too many new features to list here.

As always, if you run into any issues using this version, be sure to let me know!

EDIT: the lengths I go to....
did you see my previous post? (achievements aren't displaying for me correctly)

Komo

Banned

Bioshock Infinite
Dishonored
Fable
Half Life
Max Payne
Tomb Raider

Max Payne. At least, that's what I'd choose. However, if you don't like dark and gritty games, it might not be for you, but if it iiiis ... You're gonna have a great time

Is it just me, or did the BTA on IndieGala's bundle go up in price?

They are always changing it! Their idea of BTA is the price they decide, it has no relation to the actual average price. Anyway there is less than 2 days to go for it, so I imagine Rush Bros will be added very soon.

Bioshock Infinite
Dishonored
Fable
Half Life
Max Payne
Tomb Raider
Whichever game you decide to play, Tomb Raider dead last. Saddest example of AAA gaming I've played in a long time. Unless you meant III when you mentioned Fable, then that one takes the cake.

gabbo

Bioshock Infinite
Dishonored
Fable
Half Life
Max Payne
Tomb Raider

Half Life
Max Payne
Dishonored
Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider or Fable tossup

jshackles

did you see my previous post? (achievements aren't displaying for me correctly)

That's pretty strange. Just tested it here and it's working as expected, but it looks like Valve has different CSS for different versions of Firefox. Which version of Firefox are you using?

Which Trackmania is this GIF from?

Trackmania.gif

Turfster

What makes the cutscenes worse is they frequently interrupt some of the greatest TPS gameplay in existence.

And then when they end, they always switch you back to the fucking shittiest pistol (even if it's the only fucking gun that has no ammo) and immediately make 50 mooks attack you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom