• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Ok guys, that was really really funny.
So I get back home, run steam, and guess what? I now have 6 coupons for Broken Age, a game I already have.
That's what I get for my stupid jokes?
I've learnt a lesson. (><)

So if anybody want them you know who to ask.

Jubbly

Just got this popup in Steam:

A Steam Product code you activated has been removed from your account.

16 Jan 2014

Your recent Product code activation has been revoked due to a problem processing payment for this item. The games associated with this product code can no longer be played as a result. This could be due a problem with the payment methods you used to acquire this item from a third-party seller; or a problem with how the third-party seller acquired the Product code. Please contact the seller you acquired the Product code from for assistance.

If you would like to purchase the item, please visit the Steam Store. Otherwise you may choose to delete the local content associated with these games.

I only buy my games from sites like GMG, or from Steam itself, and everything else comes from bundles. I'd love to contact Steam about this but I don't know which game was revoked (I have 1000+), and there are no help topics that match the issue (this is the closest I can get). Guess I'll file a general ticket and look for a response in a few weeks.

Unless anyone here has any ideas?

Arthea

I really hope Indiegala manages to do a GOG bundle at some point with just classic games. I would be all over that in a heart beat.

Thought the same thing, it's not the first time we get a gog game, would be nice to get some rarer classic games bundled, you know the ones we never get around buying, inspite of intending.

JustinBB7

I only buy my games from sites like GMG, or from Steam itself, and everything else comes from bundles. I'd love to contact Steam about this but I don't know which game was revoked (I have 1000+), and there are no help topics that match the issue (this is the closest I can get). Guess I'll file a general ticket and look for a response in a few weeks.

January 16th? Did you not get an e-mail or something?

RS4-

Check your library, there might be an item way at the bottom called "Other Games" and it might be there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No, no emails from Steam. I would think where it says "Jan 16th" the game should be listed.

You may not be the only one.
Unless this reddit post was made by you.

Since they had a glitch that started giving people free games yesterday, it's possibly related to that ongoing fiasco. If it is, it's strange that it mentioned last month though. Weirder things have happened...

Jawmuncher

Thought the same thing, it's not the first time we get a gog game, would be nice to get some rarer classic games bundled, you know the ones we never get around buying, inspite of intending.

Yeah it is a little bad that so many of those GOG games can be so cheap already and I just go "NAH i'll wait". Bundles have ruined me.

I'm still holding out for (Don't You) Forget About Me: A Breakfast Club Adventure. I'm sure Telltale could do something with that.

As long as it has the song i'm in.

Jubbly

You may not be the only one.
Unless this reddit post was made by you.

Since they had a glitch that started giving people free games yesterday, it's possibly related to that ongoing fiasco. If it is, it's strange that it mentioned last month though. Weirder things have happened...

Post not from me, and nothing listed at the bottom of my library. I submitted a ticket, will see what they say in a few weeks.

Garcia

PixelJunk Monsters really needs to be hastier. I'm enjoying the game but the movement speed can be an obstacle when you're having a good time thinking about strategic placement of your towers. Also the waiting between some swarms is extremely long.

It's weird because I haven't ditched the game because of those 2 major problems; I only wish it was much faster and action oriented. Aiming for 100% on every stage makes the game really challenging.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Alienware Arena is giving out free Steam keys for Sniper 2: Ghost Warrior Collector's Edition Upgrade DLC.

maty

Any opinion/impressions on the new indiegala bundle?

I've already bought it but is there a game I should avoid?. Don't really care for the +1.

Why is everyone going apeshit for Prey giveaways?

Just play the demo.

its a loooooooong ass demo, and has the best parts of the game.

The rest of it is downhill from there into mediocrity.

derExperte

PixelJunk Monsters really needs to be hastier. I'm enjoying the game but the movement speed can be an obstacle when you're having a good time thinking about strategic placement of your towers. Also the waiting between some swarms is extremely long.

It's weird because I haven't ditched the game because of those 2 major problems; I only wish it was much faster and action oriented. Aiming for 100% on every stage makes the game really challenging.

Good luck with that. How far are you along? Because the game being very slow and a lot of trial and error made me give up after 10hrs, too much time is necessary to get back to where you failed. It's obvious that Monsters is old and lacks many refinements of later tower defense games.

jshackles

Now to get Sniper 2: Ghost Warrior.

My thoughts exactly, as the key never expires. It was $4.49 during the last sale, and I can wait.

jshackles

Why is it rare? 2K games is still in business.
Isn't it?

Because it's no longer available on Steam. The only way to get the game on Steam is to activate a retail key, and the game is long-since "out of print".

Grief.exe

Why is it rare? 2K games is still in business.
Isn't it?

Prey was removed from the Steam store, but, if you can find the physical disc, the game is Steamworks and still activates on the platform.

Historically, hasn't been too difficult to find, but copies have been drying up.

Just built my pc last week after being a console gamer for well over 20 years. What have I done to my wallet.

Don't worry; all the free/obscenely cheap games will make you feel better :).

Until you have an utterly overwhelming 'backlog' and want to punch yourself in the face for being so greedy :/.

Enjoy! :D

jshackles

This page is new:

http://store.steampowered.com/recommended/morelike/app/242920

AFAIK, right now it can only be accessed by clicking on the "More like this" button on the "recommended for you" page.

Working on adding Enhanced Steam functionality to the page, but was also thinking of adding a button on the store page. Would people find that useful?
Why didn't Valve add a link to this page from the store page to begin with?

JakeD

This page is new:

http://store.steampowered.com/recommended/morelike/app/242920

AFAIK, right now it can only be accessed by clicking on the "More like this" button on the "recommended for you" page.

Working on adding Enhanced Steam functionality to the page, but was also thinking of adding a button on the store page. Would people find that useful?
Why didn't Valve add a link to this page from the store page to begin with?

sorry to change the subject, but would it ever be possible to add a feature or tool that scans to find out which game it was when valve mysteriously removes a game from your library?

ArjanN

I wonder if they "reboot" it. They didnt call it DOOM 4. Also is ID still making it? Carmack left, how much are left that have been there for a while?

Not like a reboot really means much in Doom's case. Doom 3 is the only one that kinda/sorta had a story, and at the end all the named characters are dead anyway.

I guess it could have more of a old school action focus again.

MRORANGE

Wolfenstien (new one) played like a combination of Cod/Bioshock shooting mechanics.

Level design from the demo was quite linear, except for boss / wave encounters.

Can't remember much from that play through last year.

Garcia

Good luck with that. How far are you along? Because the game being very slow and a lot of trial and error made me give up after 10hrs, too much time is necessary to get back to where you failed. It's obvious that Monsters is old and lacks many refinements of later tower defense games.

This is my main concern right now. I've completed 3 levels already but the 4th I just can't perfect score yet. The 9th swarm (hasty spiders of hell) is where things get complicated and that's when I usually fail. As you just mentioned, having to wait over 5 minutes every time you retry a level can be tiresome.

Think I'll just have to tweak the game into my own liking, just as I had to with Don't Starve by accelerating the flow of time 2 or 3 times.
Cheat Engine, savior of the impatient.

Clawww

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Monaco -- MB-C43E6989052A63DF - Taken by Darth Kupi. 9 entrants total.

t1392833096z1.png

Sullichin

Not really sure where this gift copy of Interstellar Marines came from... or why I have it in my library too. I don't remember buying it. Does anyone know if it was part of a bundle recently?
Anyway, giving away my extra:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Interstellar Marines -- MB-061C7B307598D5E5 - Taken by Ingueferroque

jshackles

sorry to change the subject, but would it ever be possible to add a feature or tool that scans to find out which game it was when valve mysteriously removes a game from your library?

It's definitely possible, though doing so would be... tricky. Enhanced Steam currently evaluates each app on the page to see if you own it. To do this it would require Enhanced Steam to compile a list of all of the applications you own, and update that list each time you visit Steam. This information is, fortunately, available via the Steam API.

However, for people like myself that have a lot of games, this processing would take between 10-15 seconds to complete, then probably another 1 second or so to compare the new list to the old one and alert you of any changes.

The upside to doing things this way would be that you wouldn't have to wait for things to highlight, as I would already have a list of all the games you own and it would take almost no time at all to process your owned games. The downside is that the browser would essentially "freeze" for a number of seconds every time you visited Steam.

I may create a button and place it on your profile or in the Enhanced Steam options like "Resync your library with Steam" that you can press manually to perform this function, and it would tell your new game count and any added or removed games.

Grief.exe

Did Valve cull these tags as well? Or is this a result of developer meddling?

I'm leaning towards the latter, as something such as 'Choke on it' is not even listed on the Fez store page anymore.

mab6Rxz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom