• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Raiden Legacy The Return -- MB-4B5EDC6B9BF4E410 - Taken by Dice

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Guys, when was the last time you bought a game at full price from Steam? None of that 3rd party key sellers or russian copies talk please.

Would you count pre-sale/release week discounts as "full price"? If so, Stanley Parable was my most recent I believe. I tend to buy a lot of smaller games near the full asking price when I know it's something I'll like and play soon.

Stitch

Gold Member
Played some Orion: Dino Horde Conquest.

Not sure what's so bad about it. I was playing alone so I gave up after 100 Dinos but it should be good enough for some hours with friends. The map seems to be large with roaming Dinos and many vehicles, day / night cycle and dynamic weather. Graphics are pretty nice actually.

You need to get to some objectives on the map and survive several dino waves. Also your HUD can freeze if you stay too long in the snow lol

I guess they really cleaned this up since it was released (almost 2 years ago).

Guys, when was the last time you bought a game at full price from Steam? None of that 3rd party key sellers or russian copies talk please.

I bought Journal on Monday and am about to buy Banished and Ikaruga. I buy full price games pretty often on Steam, actually. If I feel like playing something I'll get it.

D3RANG3D

Thanks, but is this a Desura key? It didn't work on Steam. No prob if it is, I have a small collection on Desura and this is old-school goodness.

Yeah it is, it's weird sometimes the desura icons and pics for the games work sometimes they don't.

Grief.exe

I didn't know that was coming out on PC, that's nice. It looks like a game that could either end up decent or terrible... I'm going to wait for reviews.

I'm worried that Tecmo is going to test the waters with this release and then base their future decisions off the, potentially, abysmal numbers.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
OHHH LAWD I JUST NOTICED IT'S UBISOFT WEEK

plzplzplz gimmie dat 75% off Driver San Francisco

it always happens everywhere but steam version

Caerith

Seemingly never. I either want a game enough to buy it when it comes out, in which case there's usually like a -10% discount, or I can wait for it to be like -75%. Last game I bought at launch was Long Live the Queen back in November, at least as far as Steam goes.

nexen

I don't know why, but I really, really want Strider. I may buy this thing at full price. What is wrong with me?

Heh. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was my last full price game. Unless you count Gunman: Clive, which was $2.

edit: Oh wait, I paid full price for Contrast but that was because a friend worked on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since apparently it's "bundle week", I've been updating the bundle notifications in Enhanced Steam. Not much done yet, but here is what I have so far:

Before -> After

6lbVXod.png

XShagrath

How do free game weekends work? I've never tried before. Steam tells me to "Click here to play COD" and I go to the page and it still says $30.

What am I doing wrong?

HoosTrax

How do free game weekends work? I've never tried before. Steam tells me to "Click here to play COD" and I go to the page and it still says $30.

What am I doing wrong?
Look in your library down at the very bottom. If you don't see a [temporary] entry for CoD, then restart Steam and check again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sir. Gabe... please... this man need to work on Valve...

Thanks! Although as HoosTrax says...

Last time I checked, Valve was still a business, and that doesn't usually involve pointing your customers to competing retailers ;)

At this point, I have to assume that features like these are the reason that Valve isn't interested in even talking to me about employment opportunities.

Which is a shame, really, since I feel like I could do a lot of good there.

Zafir

I can't even remember, and it's not because I go for 3rd party key sellers. I just always get my games from other stores, be it retail, GMG, gamefly or where ever. The currency converting is rather pathetic on Steam, so they're generally the most expensive.

I'd be tempted to go for Child of Light mind you. Undecided whether to get it on GMG for a bit cheaper but uplay, or pay a few quid more for a steam copy.

gabbo

Thanks! Although as HoosTrax says...

At this point, I have to assume that features like these are the reason that Valve isn't interested in even talking to me about employment opportunities.

Which is a shame, really, since I feel like I could do a lot of good there.

They're obviously fine with the state Steam is currently in (eg: terrible)

Relax.MX

Last time I checked, Valve was still a business, and that doesn't usually involve pointing your customers to competing retailers ;)

chavo12.gif

I do not say for this specifically, but for their good capacity and speed to meet the needs of members of Steam.

jshackles is a great GAF member and does a great job with this app

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

According to the client I have 882 games on Steam. LocoCycle is the first game I've ever purchased full price. Oh, and I Kick-started Knock-Knock, so maybe that counts? I've purchased a few games full price as gifts to people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LocoCycle is that good, huh

Nah, I just used the last bit of some credit I got for Christmas. Also, even though I bought it full price, it launched on Xbox One at $19.99 and on Steam at $9.99, so really you could even count it as "full price after an MSRP reduction". LOL. So really 0 games at full price, ever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
JShakles work is amazing but I do find it funny when people expect some of these features on actual Steam, like Valve would ever actually tell you that games are cheaper somewhere else for example... come on now

HoosTrax

JShakles work is amazing but I do find it funny when people expect some of these features on actual Steam, like Valve would ever actually tell you that games are cheaper somewhere else for example... come on now
Also, the pricing thing. A regular user wouldn't really need to see that info unless they were trying to circumvent / taking advantage of regional pricing, which is another feature that would be anathema to Valve (well not Valve so much as their publisher partners).

nexen

I highly doubt Value wouldn't consider jshackles as a potential employee because his app does things they wouldn't want it to do if he were in their employ.

Once he is on the payroll they can tell him what not to do and he has to listen.

Team Fortress 2 about 4 years ago... I remember I had to force DirectX 8 to get it to run on the old laptop I was using back then.

jshackles

Also, the pricing thing. A regular user wouldn't really need to see that info unless they were trying to circumvent / taking advantage of regional pricing, which is another feature that would be anathema to Valve (well not Valve so much as their publisher partners).

True - there are a fair number of Enhanced Steam features that would never make it on to Steam. toddhunter even made a blog entry about the Top 5 Enhanced Steam Features Valve Needs to Implement. (though he erroneously accredited me as adding the "Add all DLC to cart" buttons)

There were several features I've put in Enhanced Steam that I knew full well would not make Valve happy. I spent a lot of time deciding if it was the right thing to do, since it would be my dream job to work for Valve some day. In the end, I decided that the needs of the customers (or users) outweighed the needs of the company (Valve, it's publishers, etc). It just seemed like the right thing to do, and still does.

I hope that in the future, when being evaluated for a job at Valve, whoever is responsible for my hiring looks on these features as "Mr. Shackles understood that customer service is more important than making money." Even though, yes, there is no way in hell that price comparisons will ever make their way to Steam.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
True - there are a fair number of Enhanced Steam features that would never make it on to Steam. toddhunter even made a blog entry about the Top 5 Enhanced Steam Features Valve Needs to Implement.

There were several features I've put in Enhanced Steam that I knew full well would not make Valve happy. I spent a lot of time deciding if it was the right thing to do, since it would be my dream job to work for Valve some day. In the end, I decided that the needs of the customers (or users) outweighed the needs of the company (Valve, it's publishers, etc). It just seemed like the right thing to do, and still does.

I hope that in the future, when being evaluated for a job at Valve, whoever is responsible for my hiring looks on these features as "Mr. Shackles understood that customer service is more important than making money." Even though, yes, there is no way in hell that price comparisons will ever make their way to Steam.

dont get me wrong dude, its blatantely obvious that Valve should just hire you already if only to work on steam client / site and make it better, just not with these consumer-friendly features :p

HoosTrax

I don't think the presence of features in a browser extension that Valve wouldn't like to see in official updates to the Steam websites are the reason.

Drunken F00l did way worse things (exploits, getting VAC banned among them). I wonder if his account is still VAC-banned...would be kind of amusing to see a Valve employee with an active VAC ban on their profile.

jshackles

I highly doubt Value wouldn't consider jshackles as a potential employee because his app does things they wouldn't want it to do if he were in their employ.

Once he is on the payroll they can tell him what not to do and he has to listen.

I would honestly do whatever they told me to do (or not do) but Enhanced Steam itself is open source and there are contingencies in place for when/if I'm hired by Valve so that the plugin can continue being developed and released without me.

Rhaknar

Wait, if I want to use Enhanced Steam, I need to use the web store and not the actual Steam app, correct?

nope J made a client version

edit: this Evilquest game seems like something that should have been in some bundle by now

Dolor

True - there are a fair number of Enhanced Steam features that would never make it on to Steam. toddhunter even made a blog entry about the Top 5 Enhanced Steam Features Valve Needs to Implement. (though he erroneously accredited me as adding the "Add all DLC to cart" buttons)

This sounds to me like something an employee at Valve would say. Just saying...
they should hire you.

jshackles

Wait, if I want to use Enhanced Steam, I need to use the web store and not the actual Steam app, correct?

nope J made a client version

https://github.com/jshackles/Enhanced_Steam_Standalone
You can download setup.exe from there. It's still very much a work in progress, but if you want Enhanced Steam in your client, that's currently the only way. The Chrome extension is by far much faster and gets more frequent updates.

I don't think the presence of features in a browser extension that Valve wouldn't like to see in official updates to the Steam websites are the reason.

Drunken F00l did way worse things (exploits, getting VAC banned among them). I wonder if his account is still VAC-banned...would be kind of amusing to see a Valve employee with an active VAC ban on their profile.

He's not still VAC banned, or he's using a different profile. But I agree, that'd be pretty funny.

nexen

I would honestly do whatever they told me to do (or not do) but Enhanced Steam itself is open source and there are contingencies in place for when/if I'm hired by Valve so that the plugin can continue being developed and released without me.

I just can't see any way in hell that you listing competitor prices on your plugin negatively impacts your chances of being hired by Valve. That would be extraordinarily silly and unprofessional of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom