• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just can't see any way in hell that you listing competitor prices on your plugin negatively impacts your chances of being hired by Valve. That would be extraordinarily silly and unprofessional of them.

Good to hear. I guess I can keep on keeping on
trying to get hired

I'm currently looking for work, and I'm finding it hard to get excited about the prospect of working for anyone other than Valve...

Pachimari

https://github.com/jshackles/Enhanced_Steam_Standalone
You can download setup.exe from there. It's still very much a work in progress, but if you want Enhanced Steam in your client, that's currently the only way. The Chrome extension is by far much faster and gets more frequent updates.

He's not still VAC banned, or he's using a different profile. But I agree, that'd be pretty funny.

Thanks. I'll just use the Chrome one, it seems to be real great. Love that I can see how much money I have spent already.

Also, just bought Alpha Protocol but can't get myself to pay €4.99 for Trials Evolution: Gold Edition.

nexen

Good to hear. I guess I can keep on keeping on
trying to get hired

I'm currently looking for work, and I'm finding it hard to get excited about the prospect of working for anyone other than Valve...

Are you near Bellevue? Make sure you send them an updated resume.

Pachimari

Managed to pass 1000 games with the latest Humble Weekly and there is no better way to celebrate than with a raffle with some games.
Keys should all be unused, but if they aren't I'm really sorry.
Thanks for Mirror's Edge, Lain!

That's the one game I wanted from your amazing giveaway. Isn't this a game which supports PhysX with realistic clothing materials?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are you near Bellevue? Make sure you send them an updated resume.

I am, and I suppose I will :) Sometimes I think they get tired of hearing from me.

Guys, when was the last time you bought a game at full price from Steam? None of that 3rd party key sellers or russian copies talk please.

I have acquired some games with "not the best discounts" does that count? Most expensive item I got was Dishonored at $10.19 using card money during some sale.
And the most I spent at one time was Company of Heroes Complete Pack, Total War Mega Pack - Sep 2011 for $26.99. Never played any of the games from the bundle, I keep it as a reminder of my monumental idiocy.

nexen

I am, and I suppose I will :) Sometimes I think they get tired of hearing from me.

Do eeet.

They see giant ginormous stacks of resumes over there, I'd wager. You should keep their copy of yours up to date every six months or so if you are serious. Even though most places say they will keep your CV 'on file' the file they have in mind is usually round and sits in the corner.

You also might want to see about any local IGDA gatherings and maybe make some Valve employee contacts (or even friend-of-Valve employee contacts) and see if you can get some eyes on your resume that way.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't worth it's own thread or anything but I was wondering do people think Namco Bandai are doing an Ubisoft with the PC release of Dark Souls 2 or that From Software are genuinely taking their time/doing their best for it and need more extra time ? Just something I was wondering about today, partially because I'm really jonesing for some Dark Souls 2 tbh :(

XShagrath

Look in your library down at the very bottom. If you don't see a [temporary] entry for CoD, then restart Steam and check again.
Thanks a lot. Had to restart Steam.

Looks like it's just the multiplayer version, so no need to even waste time downloading it. I wanted to do a quick runthrough on the campaign, as I suck at FPSs.

kafiend

Guys, when was the last time you bought a game at full price from Steam? None of that 3rd party key sellers or russian copies talk please.

I buy plenty day-one retail, pre-order, kickstarter etc. I also use key traders to buy stuff.

I'm going to totally ignore your comment on no key seller talk because that's what your post was actually about.

The point really is that I have a finite amount of money to spend on games and I need to direct that money in a way that works best in maximizing its value to me.

If all of a sudden, the method I use to buy games from key traders at what I see as effectively a discount is closed, then I don't magically have more money, I buy fewer games.

I get driven to less games on day-one and to waiting for sales. Personally, if I was a dev I'd rather have higher sales numbers early to drive the hype train along some more and take a mild early hit on revenue, than less sales/full price revenue and bigger spikes on 75% off sales day.
I know that many times a game may go on sale at a lower discount before it starts hitting the 75% off, or having a general price reduction. But by the time that happens the hype-imperative to own the game has usually gone because there's plenty of the "next big thing" out there.
Unless I have nothing else going on during a 33% short sale window that I want to buy then I generally wait till it hits a big discount.

The discount I generally get from buying through key traders is much less than waiting for a 75% off sale and probably closer to an early sale reduction.

I always think that publishers believe that the money I have available to purchase games is limitless and that if they switch off a method where I can save a bit of cash then I will obviously redirect money intended for other things back to games.

The idea that I'd rather buy their games than eat in order to fuel what is a hobby is laughable.

Do eeet.

They see giant ginormous stacks of resumes over there, I'd wager. You should keep their copy of yours up to date every six months or so if you are serious. Even though most places say they will keep your CV 'on file' the file they have in mind is usually round and sits in the corner.

You also might want to see about any local IGDA gatherings and maybe make some Valve employee contacts (or even friend-of-Valve employee contacts) and see if you can get some eyes on your resume that way.
I think you can try.
WhatsApp founder Brian Acton was rejected by Facebook & Twitter in 2009

His company has been bought by FB for $19 billion.

bmymfkX.png

jshackles

Do eeet.

Yeah, I know how "keeping your resume on file" usually means the circular file. I've been sending them an updated resume about once every 2-3 months.

I hadn't thought of the IGDA. I'm not currently "working" the industry so I wasn't sure if I could join or not.

Moral of the story? Jshackles needs to develop a mobile chat client.

I would love to see a mobile enhanced steam chat app. But the moral here is that going separate for the same goal can give you huge cash. And recruiters for big companies may not see talent at first.

19Kilo

So many bundles...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SpaceChem: 63 Corvi DLC -- MB-1766DAE1257132E8 - Taken by drakaenae. 2 entrants total.
Dino D-Day -- MB-1431EB988900D797 - Taken by Soi-Fong. 4 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-88FBC4EFFEDD1664 - Taken by D3RANG3D. 4 entrants total.

t1392938984z1.png

19Kilo

Whoops - posting again for new page...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SpaceChem: 63 Corvi DLC -- MB-1766DAE1257132E8 - Taken by drakaenae. 2 entrants total.
Dino D-Day -- MB-1431EB988900D797 - Taken by Soi-Fong. 4 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-88FBC4EFFEDD1664 - Taken by D3RANG3D. 4 entrants total.

t1392938984z1.png

Managed to pass 1000 games with the latest Humble Weekly and there is no better way to celebrate than with a raffle with some games.

Thank you for Shadows: Price for Our Sins Bonus Edition.

Caerith

Yeah, I know how "keeping your resume on file" usually means the circular file. I've been sending them an updated resume about once every 2-3 months.

I hadn't thought of the IGDA. I'm not currently "working" the industry so I wasn't sure if I could join or not.
Maybe you could break into the industry? JaseC has a greenlight thingy he isn't using, perhaps you could team up and make Enhanced Steam Tycoon Simulator 2014. I'd totally vote for it.

jshackles

Maybe you could break into the industry? JaseC has a greenlight thingy he isn't using, perhaps you could team up and make Enhanced Steam Tycoon Simulator 2014. I'd totally vote for it.

I actually have a game that I've been working on for a while "in my spare time" but of course since Enhanced Steam got so popular, I haven't had much of that.

I was actually looking into the feasibility of starting my own bundle site to help pay for the server costs of Enhanced Steam, because they're killing me. And obviously, everyone loves bundles.

Grief.exe

I might just do COD4 on GetGames instead of participate in the Ghosts free weekend.

Antitrop keeps telling me I need to replay that campaign.

Sarcasm

Oh that is stupid..

I have The Settlers 7: Gold Edition

Which was taken off the store and a new version put up without uplay junk and DLC

Deluxe Gold Edition

No upgrade options?

DocSeuss

I actually have a game that I've been working on for a while "in my spare time" but of course since Enhanced Steam got so popular, I haven't had much of that.

I was actually looking into the feasibility of starting my own bundle site to help pay for the server costs of Enhanced Steam, because they're killing me. And obviously, everyone loves bundles.

I'm like 90% confident your bundle site would outdo most bundle sites, so I say go for it.

I might just do COD4 on GetGames instead of participate in the Ghosts free weekend.

Antitrop keeps telling me I need to replay that campaign.

Antitrop is RIGHT.

Pachimari

I honestly think ORION: Dino Horde could be a great time waster. I mean, it's pretty cool being a group of 4, having to go up against hordes of different dinosaurs. I were suprised when the huge one came walking around the corner.

Nabs

Free Weekend...

3,189 - 8,230 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
3,073 - 8,151 - Call of Duty: Ghosts - Multiplayer

AsylumX

Thanks for Saints Row The Third, looking forward to play it after finishing IV during the free weekend.

And congratulations on reaching 1000!!!

For people who just bought CoD4 from GetGames: I just found out that PunkBuster isn't working anymore on CoD4 yet the game asks for it. So the MP is problematic.

Is there anyone who doesn't have the Dead Island: Epidemic Alpha/beta yet? I've got 31 copies left. As they are steam gifts, first 3 1 to PM me their steam name or email associated with their account can have them. Gone!

Now off to buy some more bundles.

Kiru

Thanks for Darksiders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom