• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Still one steam-game to be unlocked in Indiegala Interstellar and 3 hours to go...
And no happy hour this time either?
wtzgU.gif

Looking at the page, I notice that there's a message that says, "System maintenance
The sale will resume in a few minutes." under the list of games in the bundle. I wonder if this means they're gearing up to add something else to the package now.

Edit: Just saw your post. Yeah, I wonder if that means they're going to add something, or extend the timer, or both...?

Grief.exe

Wow, what did I just find?

BhBbyY5CIAI2ghm.png:large

What was bob reviewing?

Kirby 64: Crystal Shards.

Then they are all being scummy. That's taking the one marginally consumer friendly thing about the F2P model and getting rid of it.

How is it a bad practice if all of the information is clearly presented to the consumer?

They don't try to hide that the game will inevitably go fully F2P at any point on the store page, and tell you what you are getting by buying in early and helping them test the game.

Flunkie

Banned
These CS:GO operations totally pay for themselves:

1. Buy the CS:GO Phoenix operation pass on day one.

2. Play a game or two, get an operation themed drop. Sell drop for double of what the operation pass was.

3. Profit.

Seriously? Holy shit. Doing this now.

For those wondering:
(1) yes, there are "large containers" in the tower in Strider. However, my achievement still hasn't popped.

(2) there is a crazy difficulty spike during the tower section that I still haven't figured out how to properly deal with. I have breezed through the game on hard for the most part until this point. I have all upgrades and yet... I'm about to rage quit after repeatedly dying on this one section. Either there's a mechanic I've missed... or... it's just badly designed in terms of difficulty ramp up.

Edit: Just got (1). The final 2 containers are in the room with the final boss. As far as (2) goes... if you don't have the magnetic upgrade for the catapult, you're probably screwed... but if you do have it, the catapult move will stun things when you have magnetic cypher equipped.

Zeknurn

wrt what I was saying earlier – maybe something like

DDP = digital distribution platforms

or simply

idk maybe we should coin a term for Steam, uPlay, Origin, etc. that excludes things like PSN/eShop/XBLA and tha App Store or Google Play and also makes it clear that it's not just pc gaming? (unless it is just pc gaming) (but then what about macs)
Am I the only one who feels the thread has kinda outgrown its fully-capitalized STEAM header?

SteamOS Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Year of the Linux

We're all heading there anyway. We might as well embrace it now.

Tellaerin

or simply

idk maybe we should coin a term for Steam, uPlay, Origin, etc. that excludes things like PSN/eShop/XBLA and tha App Store or Google Play and also makes it clear that it's not just pc gaming? (unless it is just pc gaming) (but then what about macs)
Am I the only one who feels the thread has kinda outgrown its fully-capitalized STEAM header?

I wouldn't mind officially opening the thread up to discussion of other PC download services. Steam's always going to be the primary topic of discussion in any thread like this because it's the download service for PC games, but we do discuss Origin, Uplay, etc., here too, and there's not enough steady talk about those services to justify separate threads for them.

Deques

Looking at the page, I notice that there's a message that says, "System maintenance
The sale will resume in a few minutes." under the list of games in the bundle. I wonder if this means they're gearing up to add something else to the package now.

Edit: Just saw your post. Yeah, I wonder if that means they're going to add something, or extend the timer, or both...?
I don't want miss the games just because the happy hour didn't happen. :(

MRORANGE

or simply

I'm honestly not too fond of the idea, not sure how a megathread would turn out in being useful to read on a daily basis for important info (granted you can argue this thread already is one.). Plus the fact that people in GOG thread seem to be content in having their own thread so you would need general acceptance all other threads for this to be feasible.

How is it a bad practice if all of the information is clearly presented to the consumer?

They don't try to hide that the game will inevitably go fully F2P at any point on the store page, and tell you what you are getting by buying in early and helping them test the game.

Go to the Hawken store page, outside of the Steam tags there are no indications the game will be F2P.

It's not just about how clear it is on the store page though, it's about how ethical it is to charge people to beta test your free game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, browsers...

People often ask why I release the latest versions of Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome. I haven't really been able to put my finger on the exact answer until today.

I started working on Enhanced Steam in December of 2012. Since then, there has not been a single time where I've had to change an Enhanced Steam feature to accommodate the Chrome browser. Usually bugs came up as the result of Valve changing something on Steam, rather than Chrome changing the way it handled some part of the code.

Here is the rundown of the bugs I'm fixing in other browsers at the moment:

• Firefox changed something in version 29.0a2 that caused Enhanced Steam to stop functioning for unknown reasons that are still being investigated
  • Safari doesn't support cross-domain scripting in extensions, making the version of Enhanced Steam for Safari that is being worked on lose an incredible amount of functionality
  • Opera 20 changed the way that browser interprets extension code, meaning I can no longer publish the Chrome version for Opera.
And speaking of Opera, I'm sorry for those still using Opera 12 as it appears that the version of Enhanced Steam that is available for that browser is no longer working at all.

But, Chrome has always worked and has not (to date) made a change that caused Enhanced Steam not to function correctly.

random

The 99 Levels to Hell key is for Desura, but you will get a Steam key on Desura.

Just go to

http://www.desura.com/collection

activate the code, and then press on "keys" next to 99 Levels to Hell.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deponia -- MB-1F9FDB5CE7F7B968 - Taken by Asharakk. 21 entrants total.
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-35E1CCB49576F001 - Taken by nexen. 10 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
99 Levels to Hell (Desura) -- MB-4CCE538920361A7C - Taken by bronson. 15 entrants total.
Hero Siege -- MB-792985FD3AE928F3 - Taken by C4rter. 21 entrants total.

t1393026421z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man, browsers...

People often ask why I release the latest versions of Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome. I haven't really been able to put my finger on the exact answer until today.

I started working on Enhanced Steam in December of 2012. Since then, there has not been a single time where I've had to change an Enhanced Steam feature to accommodate the Chrome browser. Usually bugs came up as the result of Valve changing something on Steam, rather than Chrome changing the way it handled some part of the code.

Here is the rundown of the bugs I'm fixing in other browsers at the moment:

• Firefox changed something in version 29.0a2 that caused Enhanced Steam to stop functioning for unknown reasons that are still being investigated
  • Safari doesn't support cross-domain scripting in extensions, making the version of Enhanced Steam for Safari that is being worked on lose an incredible amount of functionality
  • Opera 20 changed the way that browser interprets extension code, meaning I can no longer publish the Chrome version for Opera.
And speaking of Opera, I'm sorry for those still using Opera 12 as it appears that the version of Enhanced Steam that is available for that browser is no longer working at all.

But, Chrome has always worked and has not (to date) made a change that caused Enhanced Steam not to function correctly.

I can vouch for Firefox being a pain to work with. A good percentage of the bugs still remaining on a site I did some work for are all Firefox exclusive. It's a fine web browser for the end user but god damn is it an exercise in frustration for anyone developing. I imagine doubly so for plugins.

Dolor

You can buy early access to a F2P game? That is remarkably scummy.

I bought the Nemesis bundle that gave me access to a bunch of mechs as well as to play early. The game is actually quite good even for someone like me that sucks at shooters. There are a nice variety of mechs to obtain, and the free to play mechanics seem to primarily be cosmetic
this is not a Valve game though, so there is some P2W stuff in there

Overall a good game, and I don't regret my purchase.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can vouch for Firefox being a pain to work with. A good percentage of the bugs still remaining on a site I did some work for are all Firefox exclusive. It's a fine web browser for the end user but god damn is it an exercise in frustration for anyone developing. I imagine doubly so for plugins.

Yeah. In addition to bugs like this being introduced, their extensions still require a volunteer to verify the code and approve the update. This process usually takes a couple of weeks, and if your code gets rejected for any reason you have to submit a new version and wait again.

For example, I published a Firefox update on Feb 16th that is still awaiting approval. At the very least, it'll probably be the end of next week before it's approved.

Last time, they even wanted me to create a Steam account for them so they could test the code.

Caerith

Yeah. In addition to bugs like this being introduced, their extensions still require a volunteer to verify the code and approve the update. This process usually takes a couple of weeks, and if your code gets rejected for any reason you have to submit a new version and wait again.

For example, I published a Firefox update on Feb 16th that is still awaiting approval. At the very least, it'll probably be the end of next week before it's approved.

Last time, they even wanted me to create a Steam account for them so they could test the code.
You'll probably need to buy them some games this time. You know, for testing purposes.

jshackles

You'll probably need to buy them some games this time. You know, for testing purposes.

I seriously thought about signing in as them and redeeming a few extra bundle keys I had, just to make sure they saw the highlighting feature in action.

Instead, I just added things like Barbie Dreamhouse and Petz Cats 2 to their wishlist before handing the account over. :)

Is there a specific reason as to why I can't purchase the Indiegala Bundle? I've been trying to since last night and it just brings me a portion of the page that says system maintenance.

If my profile had tags when it came to popular co-op multiplayer games, they would be "late" "to" "the" "party".

I can't help it if I like to pay so little for good games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FF14 is well worth playing just for the free month if you have the slightest interest in MMOs, its quite good (again, for a MMO). the end game is incredibly elitist tho

jshackles

But I heard that in a month you can finish?

Depends on how much time you have to play it in that month. If you devote about 30 hours a week to it, you could probably finish in a month.

I am nearing the end of my 30 day free subscription, and my character is level 34. I haven't done a whole lot of "side-content".

But then again, I've only been able to play about 8-10 hours a week.

Annubis

Help me Gaf i dont know why but i need FFXIV..tell me bad things about this game i dont want to buy it..:(

The gear progression is like WoW.
Anything you get will be junk in 2-3 months until you get the new super gear that will become junk soon.
Stuck in an eternal cycle of upgrades that don't feel meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom