• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me Gaf i dont know why but i need FFXIV..tell me bad things about this game i dont want to buy it..:(

I've played it for a month and then never again. Don't get me wrong, the game is cool. But it is only really good if you have friends to play with you (it's an MMO after all). MMOs tend to be a little overwhelming for me and I never try to join guilds or things like that so I just left the game.

I do plan to renew my subscription someday though

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there a list of games that support asynchronous multiplayer on Steam somewhere? Other than obvious boardgames such as Small World 2 due to it's nature of being both Steam and mobile devices, I can't seem to find too many of them.

Edit: Oh and ten minutes left for a Future Wars giveaway.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=101746007&postcount=19310

Man, browsers...

[*] Opera 20 changed the way that browser interprets extension code, meaning I can no longer publish the Chrome version for Opera.
[/LIST]
And speaking of Opera, I'm sorry for those still using Opera 12 as it appears that the version of Enhanced Steam that is available for that browser is no longer working at all.

It's understandable. It worked for Opera 12 longer than several other additions I used, so I appreciate how long it did last. Opera 19 and Chrome I can use as temporary works until I decide what to go to next once Opera stops supporting Opera 12.

For Opera 20 though, will you do anything for the browser going forward if you can't get it to use the Chrome Version, say like what you do for Firefox?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's understandable. It worked for Opera 12 longer than several other additions I used, so I appreciate how long it did last. Opera 19 and Chrome I can use as temporary works until I decide what to go to next once Opera stops supporting Opera 12.

For Opera 20 though, will you do anything for the browser going forward if you can't get it to use the Chrome Version, say like what you do for Firefox?

The plan is to try and get a variant of the Chrome version working Opera 15+. However, they have also recently implemented a manual verification process that seems to take a lot longer than even Firefox's. The last version I sent them (that should work in all versions 15-19) was about 6 weeks ago, and still hasn't been approved.

So even though I plan on doing my best to support the browser going forward, I would highly recommend Chrome since it will get the latest features the soonest, due to their "one time manual verification and 60 minute machine verification" of updates.

Acccent

I'm honestly not too fond of the idea, not sure how a megathread would turn out in being useful to read on a daily basis for important info (granted you can argue this thread already is one.). Plus the fact that people in GOG thread seem to be content in having their own thread so you would need general acceptance all other threads for this to be feasible.

Fair enough... Doesn't really satisfy my OCD, but oh well.

More free things.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WhiskeyDiver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Swapper -- MB-CB64ADAAAFB8B4E6 - Taken by Faabulous. 4 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tale -- MB-45DEBC944C614657
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-A1DA3DE24F44C98C - Taken by PandaPedinte. 2 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-136E5F061419645B - Taken by BorntoPlay. 17 entrants total.
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-63BA28EE5E699EAA - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 4 entrants total.
Monaco: What's yours is mine -- MB-91A3A0CFFA8AAA86 - Taken by Cth. 5 entrants total.

t1393029707z1.png

MRORANGE

I was thinking some time ago of linking all the PC threads into one thread for referencing, for example the OP would list out out all the DD threads, the threads for mods for popular games, the pc building and OC threads and custom content and screenshot posting threads.It would be a great place to point to people on what thread to visit and such and for general help I guess.

Not sure if it would be allowed or considered a mega-thread.

More free things.

Great giveaway, all pretty good games. Good on ya'.

I was thinking some time ago of linking all the PC threads into one thread for referencing, for example the OP would list out out all the DD threads, the threads for mods for popular games, the pc building and OC threads and custom content and screenshot posting threads.It would be a great place to point to people on what thread to visit and such and for general help I guess.

Not sure if it would be allowed or considered a mega-thread.

That would be an epic thread. It probably would be considered a mega-thread. I dunno, you should PM a Mod and see if they'd be cool with it. I'd definitely use it as a reference.

Side question - which page do people visit for the Indie Game Bundle Wiki?

http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wiki/Indie_Game_Bundle_Wiki
http://igbwiki.com/wiki/Indie_Game_Bundle_Wiki

The first URL was the original, then they said the new wiki was at the second URL. However, I think some info is missing at each page, and the original wiki still seems to update for major bundles like Humble and Groupees.

I use the latter, because it seems to have the editors who were doing most of the work from the old one. At this point I do tend to find out about new bundles first either from this thread or e-mails from the sites running them.

Dolor

I don't think there's that big of a community for many of the other services anyway (maybe GOG). I think the other services are used in a sort of "hold your nose" sort of way if at all, but I may just be biased.

Actually, it's kinda true....my friends personally thought it was the best Final Fantasy game last gen and it seemed more like a Final Fantasy game than the FFXIII saga did

Oh wow. Double Helix, you're a bunch of jerks.
I absolutely HATE when a developer decides to make difficulty achievements that don't stack.

--

Did the Interstellar bundle get a new game? The text about another steam game being added to BTA is now missing from the bundle page.

MRORANGE

That would be an epic thread. It probably would be considered a mega-thread. I dunno, you should PM a Mod and see if they'd be cool with it. I'd definitely use it as a reference.

Stump? thoughts on being able to do this?

(I really don't mind if it's allowed or not, I just wished NeoGaf was able to tag threads.)

I absolutely HATE when a developer decides to make difficulty achievements that don't stack.

--

Did the Interstellar bundle get a new game? The text about another steam game being added to BTA is now missing from the bundle page.

Heh, I know exactly which post you thought you were replying to.

Kuroyume

Banned

--

Dynamite Jack is the game

Stump? thoughts on doing this?

(I really don't mind if it's allowed or not, I just wished NeoGaf was able to tag threads.)

The mods pushed for Megathread consolidation at the beginning of 2014. The Vita Megathread was merged with the PSN updates thread and several others. There was talk about the same applying to SteamGAF, but in the end, nothing really happened because there wasn't really something like an Origin thread to merge in. I'm not quite sure what the mods take on this is going to be... incorporating other platforms seemed to fit what the mods were saying earlier this year, but then they didn't actively do any merging of other threads into this one, so I don't know...

Dynamite Jack is the game

I thought that's what was different, but I already own the game and it wasn't under BTA, so I was confused.

Echoplx

Can anyone else not log into the website right now? Keep getting the 'Incorrect Login' error, tried deleting cookies and even using a different browser but it's still not working,

MRORANGE

The mods pushed for Megathread consolidation at the beginning of 2014. The Vita Megathread was merged with the PSN updates thread and several others. There was talk about the same applying to SteamGAF, but in the end, nothing really happened because there wasn't really something like an Origin thread to merge in. I'm not quite sure what the mods take on this is going to be... incorporating other platforms seemed to fit what the mods were saying earlier this year, but then they didn't actively do any merging of other threads into this one, so I don't know...

Yeah, the Steam thread was left alone as it covered most bases. I'm talking about a thread with links to all other PC threads. that would be more general help than being a place to talk about gaming news and updates.

oipic

This is super late but... Thanks to everyone who participated in the raffle and took those keys off of my hands! :3

This is very belated, but thank you for the uber-sized and very generous giveaway, ExMachina - I was lucky enough to win a little something, but have had two days of (awfully GAF-free) work-work-work, and only just noticed! Cheers. :)

The_Monk

Been away all day but at least it's Friday. Hope everyone is doing okay in this fine day. I'm dead tired but it's good to catch up with my good Steam-GAFfers. :)

Caerith

Help me Gaf i dont know why but i need FFXIV..tell me bad things about this game i dont want to buy it..:(

It's a shame FFXIV 1.0 isn't still preserved somewhere so you could see the progression from that to 2.0.

1.0 could be a case study in schizophrenic stupidity, both on the part of S-E-- who not only refused to learn any lessons from WoW but also threw away all experience they learned with FFXI to make a game with no clear vision of what it was trying to be-- and of the apologist fans-- who, with frothing fanatacism, shouted down any criticisms of the game with arguments like "this isn't trying to be WoW, so if you want a UI that doesn't have ridiculous input lag then maybe you should go play that because you are not a true fan."

2.0 hugely improves on lots of things and shows what can happen when you have a talented director with a clear vision in charge and let him actually make a game, but I think it was ultimately fettered by having to carry over from 1.0. I'd like to see what Yoshi-P could do if given a blank slate, but FFXIV was ultimately a "beat and delete" sort of thing for me.

The writing is terrible, the voice acting is terrible, and the gameplay is largely pretty bland, so I guess that makes it a "real" Final Fantasy?

Oh and there's some really weird continuity thing with it-- there's a desert region, right? But it's only in the forest that you can see a camel.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dynamite Jack -- MB-A21E2A480006E2B1 - Taken by Madridista

Pachimari

I really want to play a MMO when I have build my first Gaming PC, and I totally loved Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS3, as I have always been fond of the FF universe and atmosphere.

But would you guys recommend me try out other MMO's like World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2?

Oh wow, I didn't expect to win this game this early after you set up your giveaway? Was this the intention? If so, thank you very much for your kindness. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah i was lazy and didnt set up any rules, first come first serve lol

Dec

I really want to play a MMO when I have build my first Gaming PC, and I totally loved Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS3, as I have always been fond of the FF universe and atmosphere.

But would you guys recommend me try out other MMO's like World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2?

Check out Neverwinter. You may lose interest in the end game but getting there is really fun, and it's completely free with a very good f2p model. It's combat is the best in MMOs IMO.

Check out Neverwinter. You may lose interest in the end game but getting there is really fun, and it's completely free with a very good f2p model. It's combat is the best in MMOs IMO.

damn dude youre gonna have to say more about that. is it a good singleplayer mmo like TOR or GW2?

Aitor

have fun
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Dynamite Jack -- MB-78815B810C421CE2 - Taken by Dambrosi

ShogunX

Hopefully this works ok (Desura key)

ModBot said:
Instructions for ShogunX:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cubicity-thumb.jpg

Cubicity -- MB-2DEB32A6CB078843 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.

t1393025116z1.png

Looks like they extended the Interstellar bundle by another 7 days so there is hope for a Happy Hour still.

I was happy I could finally buy it. Did they add the Land-Sharks to Interstellar Marines yet? That looked awesome when it was first previewed years ago.

Also, what are peoples opinion of Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves, that trailer from the indiegala page looked like good goofy fun. Has anyone played it yet? I'm installing it now. Got to put this 780 to work dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom