• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's... strange.
Some RPS previews.

Yeah, quickest explanation is "you build a house of traps to defend your vault, then break into other people's houses to rob their vault while they try to break into yours. If you succeed, you can use that money to buy more traps. Death means you start over."

Yeah, Castle Doctrine is pretty hard to explain fully. Definitely check out some let's plays. What's odd is a lot of people aren't "playing it like the developer intended" so to speak, and rather than focusing on getting the money out of other people's houses, they're focusing on killing the families. So you come back (from your own theiving) only to discover your family is dead for no reason.

On the subject of Binary Domain, I remembered which game it reminded me of with how debris scattered in every direction as you shot robots:

maxresdefault70sod.jpg

It's a shame a PC port never materialized at the time (and likely never will), and Blizzard buying its developers only to shutter them with nothing accomplished under their wing further cemented my opinion of the Blizzard brand going downhill fast after World of Warcraft.

I played it on Gamecube. Spectacular game.

Talk to and listen to what every NPC has to say and read every item description. The only guide you'll need. You can pick up combat intricacies with just a little patients and from just playing.
I just found out you could go beneath the Firelink Shrine, okay, so I'm a little dense. 12 hours in and I'm maxing out in the Undead Burg but fucking HAVEL. Taurus seemed easier than him, though both are taking my level 24 wanderer to school.

It's great fun, but I mean, I just need help finding where to go hahaha.

Enough bitching. MORE SOULS.

Freezard

Blizzard buying its developers only to shutter them with nothing accomplished[/URL] under their wing further cemented my opinion of the Blizzard brand going downhill fast after World of Warcraft.

Don't you dear talking crap about Blizzard. They have done more for PC gaming than any other company. Also, Hearthstone GOTY.

Arthea

I forgot about Metal Arms.

Man, that game was solid. I wish it had a PC version.

edit: oh crap, Funcom going down? Does that mean that the steam subscription to Secret World is going to be rare?

Wait... does it mean that we won't get Dreamfall Chapters, we greenlit like in minutes?

nexen

Yeah, quickest explanation is "you build a house of traps to defend your vault, then break into other people's houses to rob their vault while they try to break into yours. If you succeed, you can use that money to buy more traps. Death means you start over."

Yeah, Castle Doctrine is pretty hard to explain fully. Definitely check out some let's plays. What's odd is a lot of people aren't "playing it like the developer intended" so to speak, and rather than focusing on getting the money out of other people's houses, they're focusing on killing the families. So you come back (from your own theiving) only to discover your family is dead for no reason.

PVP Dungeon Keeper? Sounds like the PVP mode in City of Heroes/Villains. Sounds awesome.

Wait... does it mean that we won't get Dreamfall Chapters, we greenlit like in minutes?

*shrug* I don't know. From the thread sounds like the development was outsourced anyways, but it may limbo the IP, which would be bad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
edit: oh crap, Funcom going down? Does that mean that the steam subscription to Secret World is going to be rare?

I wouldn't worry just yet as the situation will drag on; even assuming Funcom can't afford to pay the fines it's going to cop it'll declare bankruptcy.

nexen

I wouldn't worry just yet as the situation will drag on; even assuming Funcom can't afford to pay the fines it's going to cop it'll declare bankruptcy.

I hope it stays up. I wanted to fight virtual Cthulhu, but I don't have time for an MMO right now.

jonno394

A couple of Multiplayer games I won't be playing so if anyone wants them you know what to do

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

AirBuccaneers -- MB-83E33356D4CA98A2 - Taken by Servizio
Nuclear Dawn -- MB-B993741A542C3692 - Taken by Ingueferroque

Not even an emulated version is readily available I believe. Xbox emulation is a mess, had difficulties tracking down a GC version for Dolphin and the PS2 port was bad. What do.

Don't you dear talking crap about Blizzard. They have done more for PC gaming than any other company. Also, Hearthstone GOTY.
They squandered any goodwill they've earned in the past with World of Warcraft, Starcraft II and Diablo III. Permanent "fuck those losers" status now that I recalled how they treated Swingin' Ape Studios.

Blizzard used to be one of my favorites back in its heyday, but for the past few years they've made it very clear that they're not the great company of old. Not by a longshot. A casual free-to-play card game (not my genre in the first place) isn't enough to change my stance.

Grief.exe

That is really too bad, I'll make sure to pick it up on GC or PS2. Currently working on those collections.

From Tony over at CAG

Namco trip was incredibly successful. In addition to being amazing people to hang out with we've locked in the following for 1/31. All prices are pre-coupon:

Dark Souls PTD Edition: $7.49
Enslaved+Inversion: $7.49
Naruto 3 Full Burst: $19.99

Cheers,
Tony

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Nabs

If you don't own Dark Souls after this...

Even if you're out of EC coupons, there are people who can help. Just send the funds via Amazon GC.

Dr Dogg

Dammmmn that Enslaved deal is sweat. Despite a few early teething problems and what some people have said it cleans up really well and being a UE3 game it can run at 60fps on really old hardware.

Edit: Also, Dark Souls at $2.49. If you don't own it and don't hop on this then reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So apparently pre-orders for GTAV on the PC will begin in just a few days, according to GameReactor.

No solid confirmation yet, though.

itshappening.gif and ninjagaidenhypetrain.gif all that.

Man, now I gotta start up my Dark Souls game again.
Pretty great game, love the atmosphere, but for some reason I just left it mid-game and haven't played it for a while now.

Anyway, looking for someone who have purchased the Indie Gala January bundle earlier, preferably the first week (Happy Hour, 3 extra gifts).
I'll Paypal the sum in advance, so you don't have to withdraw anything from your card or something.

PM me or feel free to add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/DunderHassan/

Edit:

Isn't it region locked?

No, it's not region locked, so everyone buy it already.
Edit2: Not sure about GFWL regional restrictions though, hopefoully you should be able to bypass that like the below poster said.

Firebrand

Might pick up DS as a gift. If you're outside of GFWL territories, can you simply create an account under a different country or does it block IPs? (Assuming the key even registers on Steam) edit: Seems like you can.

XShagrath

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but looks like there'll be a couple last minute additions to the Amazon Editors' Choice sale. I didn't see them live yet, but...

Namco trip was incredibly successful. In addition to being amazing people to hang out with we've locked in the following for 1/31. All prices are pre-coupon:

Dark Souls PTD Edition: $7.49
Enslaved+Inversion: $7.49
Naruto 3 Full Burst: $19.99

Cheers,
Tony

Dark Souls and Enslaved/Inversion for $2.49 each!?!?!

That'll teach me to not reload! ARGH!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm interested in grabbing Dark Souls for two fiddy, if someone wouldn't mind giving up their coupon.

I had a coupon. But I used it on Marlowe Briggs.

I'll pick up that Enslaved/Inversion combo for that price for sure. How is that Naruto game? I know zilch about the tv show but there aren't really any games like that (or any that has that cel shaded look) on the pc. Worth 15 bucks?

dani_dc

That is really too bad, I'll make sure to pick it up on GC or PS2. Currently working on those collections.

From Tony over at CAG

Well, good time to buy a few copies of Dark Souls to gift around to a couple of friends.
Might also pick up Naruto since that comes around 10 euros.

nexen

Inversion actually starts out well with a solid hook and even has a nice plot twist, but absolutely falls apart right at the very end. It just ends abruptly and without a shred of resolution. Mystifying.

The gravity mechanics are more annoying than fun, but the cover based shooting is done well. Think Gears of War lite.

Graphics are a solid 'meh'. Mostly due to the washed out palette and low res textures.

Definitely worth $2.50

edit: oh wait, I remember one of the major plot points was resolved, but it was so unsatisfying that I completely forgot about it. Still leaves the overall question unanswered though, which is annoying.

yuraya

Dark souls for $2.49 is just a ridiculous deal. Guaranteed at least 50 hours of fun plus that game is very active on steam.

What? Dark Souls is very, very low end. What are your specs?
What are you smoking dude? Wait, nevermind that's my laptop smoking. . . after playing Dark Souls. Dark Souls is unoptimized as poop. :(

Granted I'm playing in 720p and spending most of the time in the 20fps region and still enjoying it, but to call it very low end is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom