• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

I'm so sad that I won't be able to enter the Prey giveaway :( I never found time to do anything. Well I didn't want to properly enter the giveway anyway since I'm not that interested in the game... so I guess I'll still do something in Paint as soon as I can :p

Turfster

I'm so sad that I won't be able to enter the Prey giveaway :( I never found time to do anything. Well I didn't want to properly enter the giveway anyway since I'm not that interested in the game... so I guess I'll still do something in Paint as soon as I can :p

It's okay, I will win for my amazing artistic accomplishment anyway ;)

Tenrius

Oh well, Steam Community seems to be down. It went down exactly the moment I decided to play a Steam game (as opposed to console games I've been playing lately).

I don't know.

Not to add to the drama or derail this thread or drag it here but I saw a post from Stump the perfectly and rationally summed up the whole situation and many people still ignored that.

What can you do?

Yeah, but after ekim's thread I imagine even more people are confused. He didn't really go into detail what exactly happened and where. His OP lacked any link to those things. Good thing the mods closed it before it totally spiraled out of control.

The Secret World dev delisted in Norway, company under investigation

The Secret World developer Funcom was delisted from the Norwegian stock exchange earlier today and is now under government investigation for negligent bookkeeping, according to statements published by the Oslo Stock Exchange.

The documents state Funcom is charged with infringement of the Securities Trading Act between Aug. 2011 and July 2012 for allegedly shared false financial information pertaining to The Secret World with the market. Funcom is also being charged for failing to maintain proper financial records during the game's launch and following months.

News reports state Funcom is cooperating fully and employees have been sent home as the investigation continues.

Probably threadworthy

Ban Puncher

Oh shit son it's a....

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT

header.jpg

It is time to give away a rare Steam goody. A big thank you to all the participants, there were over 30 entries and they were all fabulous, hilarious and delicious. But as that Highlander film and all it's crappy sequels say - there can only be one.

And the winner is....

KgXxf2N.gif

Congratulations tiny raptor!

Fuck the Oculus Rift, this scene is 2real4me. Something about the crocodile's final expression just works. Well done! PM me and I will send you your new shiny Prey key to redeem on Steam.

Another big thank you to all involved and thanks to the SteamGAF community and the mods for allowing such silliness in the spirit of a fun competition. I promise not to do it again.

OR DO I??????

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll be building a ~$1700 PC for my mate early next week. His exacts words were, "I feel that I need to buy a gaming PC because I have so many games on Steam." *sheds tear*

Holy cow, I checked out that MisterX Livejournal "insider conspiracy" post r.e. ekim / cboat...

This guy is a master troll, right? But then I keep reading earlier posts in the LJ and... and... I mean how much mental effort does it take to care about all of that stuff so much? How much time does he need to take out of his day each day to focus on this?

it serves as a nice reminder of why so many people think that NeoGAF is a cancer. Holy %&@ do people take this stuff seriously. Way, way too seriously. And you want to go "well, some crazies do, but that's not representative of NeoGAF overall," and then you see that the X1-vs-PS4 Tomb Raider post generated over 4,300 posts in just over 24 hours before getting locked by mods.

I mean, it's certainly not a new problem or anything. But Jesus, people, it's f-ing videogames.

Turfster

it serves as a nice reminder of why so many people think that NeoGAF is a cancer. Holy %&@ do people take this stuff seriously. Way, way too seriously. And you want to go "well, some crazies do, but that's not representative of NeoGAF overall," and then you see that the X1-vs-PS4 Tomb Raider post generated over 4,300 posts in just over 24 hours before getting locked by mods.
This is why we stay safely in SteamGAF, where the only wars we have are the Romulans versus the Stradivariuses and the Wilders.

Dr Dogg

Goddamn Dark Souls is wonderful and weird and infuriating haha.

Edit: Every time I want to just break down and use a guide I don't, but it's maddening sometimes.

Talk to and listen to what every NPC has to say and read every item description. The only guide you'll need. You can pick up combat intricacies with just a little patients and from just playing.

Acccent

Congratulations tiny raptor!

Fuck the Oculus Rift, this scene is 2real4me. Something about the crocodile's final expression just works. Well done! PM me and I will send you your new shiny Prey key to redeem on Steam.

Another big thank you to all involved and thanks to the SteamGAF community and the mods for allowing such silliness in the spirit of a fun competition. I promise not to do it again.

OR DO I??????

You could say the crocodile who ended up with the Prey game is a...
tiny raptor

Congratulations!

Hoping for more silliness-based giveaways in the future (we should coin a term for this)

Tenrius

Holy cow, I checked out that MisterX Livejournal "insider conspiracy" post r.e. ekim / cboat...

This guy is a master troll, right? But then I keep reading earlier posts in the LJ and... and... I mean how much mental effort does it take to care about all of that stuff so much? How much time does he need to take out of his day each day to focus on this?

I mean, it's certainly not a new problem or anything. But Jesus, people, it's f-ing videogames.

I'm not sure what your point is. I read that Livejournal post and it hardly can be described as "master trolling". It's a few unfortunate screencaps put together with some of the wildest assumptions possible, with a complete lack of logic and a really weird agenda, not to mention godawful spelling, grammar and formatting. It's just a dumb kid who got salty about GAF for some reason and put together this pathetic excuse of investigative journalism in order to get his 15 minutes of fame. That's all there is to it. (He's also using some Soviet imagery as his LJ avatar, which alone makes him a terrible person in my eyes).

And of course I don't think there's anything wrong with being passionate about your hobby and/or taking it seriously, as long it falls within the confines of civil, articulated discourse.

This makes me sad. Outside of the group affinity and talking gimmicks that a lot of people seem to take as the only thing from the game, the shooting was really fun because they made the most out of the enemy types you were facing. It's so refreshing to break up the headshot, headshot, headshot monotony of most other shooters out there, and the way they break apart when you're blasting them made it feel great.
On the subject of Binary Domain, I remembered which game it reminded me of with how debris scattered in every direction as you shot robots:

maxresdefault70sod.jpg

It's a shame a PC port never materialized at the time (and likely never will), and Blizzard buying its developers only to shutter them with nothing accomplished under their wing further cemented my opinion of the Blizzard brand going downhill fast after World of Warcraft.

Grief.exe

On the subject of Binary Domain, I remembered which game it reminded me of with how debris scattered in every direction as you shot robots:

maxresdefault70sod.jpg

It's a shame a PC port never materialized at the time (and likely never will), and Blizzard buying its developers only to shutter them with nothing accomplished under their wing further cemented my opinion of the Blizzard brand going downhill fast after World of Warcraft.

What a shame. Thanks for all the information was a very interesting read.

Pre-orders for The Elder Scrolls Online just went up on GMG. Not a steam key, as is to be expected. The minimum requirements are interesting though...

Minimum Requirements

Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 2 GB
HDD Space: 60 GB free
Video Card: DirectX 9.0 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 8800, ATI Radeon 2600 or better)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Other: Internet broadband connection.
Subscription required

Recommended Requirements

Processor: Quad Core 2.3GHz or equivalent
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: Direct X 11 compliant video card with 2GB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 560 Ti, ATI Radeon 6950 or better).

60GB hard drive space. This has to be a record right?

And of course I don't think there's anything wrong with being passionate about your hobby and/or taking it seriously, as long it falls within the confines of civil, articulated discourse.

Oh no, it's great that people are passionate about games. They should be. Most of us are. I'd rather have people be too passionate than utterly jaded. But I also think it's possible to take it way too far, to a place that isn't constructive to either the people involved in the conversation or the industry overall. And passion can also lead to complete garbage on the signal-to-noise ratio, where a new piece of information, or an opinion that actually adds to the discussion, gets lost in the screaming chorus of utter nonsense.

But yeah, console-warrioring, blowing things out of proportion, and conspiracy theories are far from unique to GAF or anything. And to some degree it's innate to any community focused around a single topic. I guess I just wish there was a place that wasn't.

nexen

I forgot about Metal Arms.

Man, that game was solid. I wish it had a PC version.

edit: oh crap, Funcom going down? Does that mean that the steam subscription to Secret World is going to be rare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom