• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any good skills to invest points into?

It's been a while since I've played the game but takedowns are handy as they can dramatically increase the amount of XP gained from kills (though having said that it's hardly a finite resource -- I'd maxed out all the useful skills before reaching the second island), while anything relating to money can be saved until the very end as you're never in short supply. Some of the spider-related skills can be helpful for stealth approaches, and the same is true of the steady aim skill for when you have a silenced sniper. Syringe, armour and health-related skills aren't overly important but if you have points to waste aren't a bad investment.

There's a mount & blade bundle going on right now:

http://www.indiegala.com/weekly

I'd prefer Steam gifts but I could stock up a little on keys if need be.

Edit: Oh, the bundle is over. Maybe I'll flip a coin tomorrow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Any good skills to invest points into?

Level is pretty fast so feel free to pump points into whatever sounds cool. Stealth-related stuff helps a lot since taking out outposts with no alerts/complete stealth (hella easy with silenced sniper rifles and the automatic checkpoint given on approach for easy retries) gives you a ton of XP.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So it's basically them just forcing their f2p crap into peoples libraries. Fuck that.

Steam desperately needs to add the Steam Vault where you can bury specific game list entries from your list so it appears as if you don't own them, without fucking up subs and making them completely invisibile on your online profile.

Arthea

This reminds me: during winter sale I accidentally activated one of gift items (don't know even for which game), don't ask me how it is possible, it is.
Is there any way to know what was that? I tried, but couldn't find any game added to my library (if that's how activating those items even work, if you don't have a game installed initially). Any ideas?

Zia

Huh, wonder why Paradox would let Mount & Blade go, unless TaleWorlds just want to go completely independent.

Dolor

Paradox no longer publishing Mount & Blade? This is huge.

I wonder if they are going to be self-publishing on Steam.

Huh, wonder why Paradox would let Mount & Blade go, unless TaleWorlds just want to go completely independent.

My guess is that a publishing strategy of "put the game on Steam" doesn't really need a sophisticated publisher taking a cut to play out, and they will just self-publish.

While I think it's highly unlikely, I hope they aren't members of the small delusional group that thinks that Steam sales somehow reduce revenue for them. Paradox was really good in that regard.

Grief.exe

My guess is that a publishing strategy of "put the game on Steam" doesn't really need a sophisticated publisher taking a cut to play out, and they will just self-publish.

While I think it's highly unlikely, I hope they aren't members of the small delusional group that thinks that Steam sales somehow reduce revenue for them.

Yes, but many studios still need a publisher to give them money during development. It is very expensive to create a game after all.

A game like Mount & Blade would thrive during sales, it has this goofy look and people probably don't take it seriously at first. Then they play it, and are blown away.

It's been a while since I've played the game but takedowns are handy as they can dramatically increase the amount of XP gained from kills (though having said that it's hardly a finite resource -- I'd maxed out all the useful skills before reaching the second island), while anything relating to money can be saved until the very end as you're never in short supply. Some of the spider-related skills can be helpful for stealth approaches, and the same is true of the steady aim skill for when you have a silenced sniper. Syringe, armour and health-related skills aren't overly important but if you have points to waste aren't a bad investment.

Level is pretty fast so feel free to pump points into whatever sounds cool. Stealth-related stuff helps a lot since taking out outposts with no alerts/complete stealth (hella easy with silenced sniper rifles and the automatic checkpoint given on approach for easy retries) gives you a ton of XP.

Thanks guys.

This reminds me: during winter sale I accidentally activated one of gift items (don't know even for which game), don't ask me how it is possible, it is.
Is there any way to know what was that? I tried, but couldn't find any game added to my library (if that's how activating those items even work, if you don't have a game installed initially). Any ideas?

Should be able to check your 'account' or 'profile' and see things that were activated

Dolor

Yes, but many studios still need a publisher to give them money during development. It is very expensive to create a game after all.

Good point.

A game like Mount & Blade would thrive during sales, it has this goofy look and people probably don't take it seriously at first. Then they play it, and are blown away.

Yeah, niche games do the best (relatively) when tied into such a huge audience like Steam's. A game like M&B probably gets a ton of attention from being featured on a Steam sale that it could never get anywhere else just by virtue of its genre.

I picked it up on a ridiculous sale and will be definitely picking up the sequel day 1.

Everything about that game looks wrong from a Double Dragon perspective.

However, if you ignore that, it looks amazing. And has Amazing Double Dragon remixes.

I really don't know what to think of it.

I thought I heard it was bad in every possible way, I think maybe on the bombcast.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I thought I heard it was bad in every possible way, I think maybe on the bombcast.

But they hate every single Beat'em'up that comes out. And Jeff was mostly bummed about the Double Dragon license not being given the proper respect. He said the game was cool, but that it didn't need the Double Dragon license at all.

I watched the trailer again and, while it tries to pay homage to the original Double Dragon, I get a Super Double Dragon vibe from it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

You're probably thinking of the truly terrible II: Wander of the Dragons (17 on Metacritic) which is an incredibly cheaply made and awful Japanese Double Dragon game that got an XBLA release. Double Dragon Neon (71 on Metacritic) is an interesting and very stylish game made by WayForward that go an XBLA/PSN release.

HoosTrax

M&B Warband was a huge sleeper hit for me personally. First impressions were terrible - ugly ass models, janky animations. Once you get past that though, I don't think I've played any sandbox RPG that's so immersive and caters so well to the "power fantasy" thing. You can go from leading a motley band of mercenaries, to building up an army strong enough to contest for the crown of the entire empire.

Kenshi is one Early Access game that I'll be keeping my eye on, as I think it might be similar.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
You heard wrong. It's one of if not the best beat 'em up of the last couple of years. It's slower then most in the genre, though, and has a really steep learning curve.
However, if you spent enough time with it and learn to spinkick your way to victory, even someone who sucks in games like this (me!) can finish it.
Heck, at first I couldn't get through the first level, now i've finished it on Double Dragon mode. And by jove, I might just do it again!

And the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant.
It can get a bit grindy, though. And it has almost nothing to do with Double Dragon. It's pure eighties fun. No nonsense badbro punching.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You're probably thinking of the truly terrible II: Wander of the Dragons (17 on Metacritic) which is an incredibly cheaply made and awful Japanese Double Dragon game that got an XBLA release. Double Dragon Neon (71 on Metacritic) is an interesting and very stylish game made by WayForward that go an XBLA/PSN release.

Jeff specially was down on this release of Double Dragon as well, so while he could be thinking about that horrible abomination, Giantbomb also showed a lack of enthusiasm for this game.

I think it looks and plays well (I didn't actually play it, but from watching videos). I just don't think it looks like a Double Dragon game (other than the music).

Just found out you can circumvent GMG region restrictions with a VPN, even though my account is registred in Germany. Cool.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rome Total War -- MB-FB097E822C7700C6 - Taken by PriitV
Gnomoria -- MB-DF177AB69705FCA9 - Taken by Eternia
Sideways -- MB-30A78E4F7E63CE39 - Taken by _hekk05

PaulLFC

How is Kenshi?

I realise it's in Alpha but as long as it's promising then I think I'll pick it up for the ~£8 it is currently.

The reviews I've seen range from "This could be the best game ever when it's done" to "This game is broken, all of the implemented systems are boring and it's ridiculously buggy".

Anyone bought it?

Amazing news. Happy for Bugbear, I've barely even played the actual game yet but the tech sneak peek is amazing. Physics cannon should be a mode in the final game.

How is Kenshi?

I realise it's in Alpha but as long as it's promising then I think I'll pick it up for the ~£8 it is currently.

The reviews I've seen range from "This could be the best game ever when it's done" to "This game is broken, all of the implemented systems are boring and it's ridiculously buggy".

Anyone bought it?

I'm also thinking about checking out this game, but it might be one I wait for final release. The reviews on Steam were kind of scattershot.

Parsnip

Man, I really dislike the look of double dragon neon. I was hoping it would grow on me with time and maybe I would play it then, but nope. Just looks like butt.

PaulLFC

I'm also thinking about checking out this game, but it might be one I wait for final release. The reviews on Steam were kind of scattershot.
I'm the same, but I keep considering buying it now as the price has already gone up once and apparently will again before release. I could always wait for a sale after release, but that's even further in the future.

Hmm, decisions.

Grief.exe

M&B Warband was a huge sleeper hit for me personally. First impressions were terrible - ugly ass models, janky animations. Once you get past that though, I don't think I've played any sandbox RPG that's so immersive and caters so well to the "power fantasy" thing. You can go from leading a motley band of mercenaries, to building up an army strong enough to contest for the crown of the entire empire.

Kenshi is one Early Access game that I'll be keeping my eye on, as I think it might be similar.

How is Kenshi?

Anyone bought it?

Kenshi is on my radar now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished up my XCOM: Enemy Within run and went back to grab one achievement to end with a nice completion ratio.

xcom4qu28.png

Overall I was pretty happy with the expansion. It adds some much needed map variety to the original campaign and adds a lot of entertaining systems to the mix. If you liked the original picking this up is a no-brainer for a replay, especially with it hitting the 10$ price range now.

Prepare yourself for those sectopods though. My body wasn't ready and I actually put down the game mid-way through a mission because of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's worth noting that Kenshi will increase in price as development milestones are reached -- it was bumped up to $20 from $16 just few days days ago and will presumably hit $30 upon leaving Early Access (but not before another bump up to $25).

FloatOn

I've been bored at work and so I compiled a list of games I already own and intend to beat at some point or another. It's 55 games deep currently. Only 4 of which are on PS3

This is ridiculous.

Thanks for Sideways. Also what happens if they find out you're using a VPN?
No problem.

I don't think they care. I've been using VPN's forever now since region locking is bullshit in Germany especially, and nothing ever happened. I wouldn't use it to buy through Steam directly though.

I guess the worst thing that could happen is that they lock your GMG account.

Dolor

It's worth noting that Kenshi will increase in price as development milestones are reached -- it was bumped up to $20 from $16 just few days days ago and will presumably hit $30 upon leaving Early Access (but not before another bump up to $25).

It's definitely been on my radar, but I'll probably catch it on the way back down once it's released (unless it pushes all the right buttons for me).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've been bored at work and so I compiled a list of games I already own and intend to beat at some point or another. It's 55 games deep currently. Only 4 of which are on PS3

This is ridiculous.

It felt good wrapping up my 360 and PS3 intended completion list. Neither was very long, but it still felt good. Still got like 10+ Wii games that are partially played, but I'm waiting to get back to those till I get a new processor upgrade for Dolphin (next-gen of Intel) that can lay waste to that shit at 5+ ghz.

Gvaz

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Velvet Assassin -- MB-605FCAEE8F9EAB2F - Taken by Ingueferroque. 5 entrants total.

t1391100159z1.png

enjoy!

Dr. Buni

If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
Damn, I really need to stop lurking. :(

FloatOn

It felt good wrapping up my 360 and PS3 intended completion list. Neither was very long, but it still felt good. Still got like 10+ Wii games that are partially played, but I'm waiting to get back to those till I get a new processor upgrade for Dolphin (next-gen of Intel) that can lay waste to that shit at 5+ ghz.

I really don't understand people that have multiple gaming platforms. I mean, I kind of do because of the exclusives but how people have time to juggle so many games across so many platforms I will never know.

Once I beat Last of Us, Demon Souls and Red Dead Redemption I'm calling it quits on the PS3. Unless of course my ps+ subscription gives me something else worth playing for free.

yuraya

oooohh they will be releasing white Xbox one controllers according to rumors :D

LTGEt1o.png

Looks great. Can't wait for the pc support i will definitely pick it up to replace my 360 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom