• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, some of the animals are hilariously overpowered. They have hunting challenges later in the game that force you to take out a couple animals with severly underpowered weaponry and it's pretty funny to feel like you are the apex bitch rather than predator.

Player running desperately and comically away from a monster in Mon Hun only to be wiped out.gif

Just finished up my XCOM: Enemy Within run and went back to grab one achievement to end with a nice completion ratio.

xcom4qu28.png

Overall I was pretty happy with the expansion. It adds some much needed map variety to the original campaign and adds a lot of entertaining systems to the mix. If you liked the original picking this up is a no-brainer for a replay, especially with it hitting the 10$ price range now.

Prepare yourself for those sectopods though. My body wasn't ready and I actually put down the game mid-way through a mission because of it.

Nice :). That was a nice one to get too, I got that the other day. I only have a handful of non EW and Slingshot achievements left to get. Normally I couldn't care less about achievements but I'm so close it will bug me if I don't get them all. Do you intend to go back and get the last few you need for 100%? I am close to the end of my current, Classic playthrough and will have completed the game four times now. I think I have only one starting base left to do to get the achievement for starting and completing the game from all five base locations but I haven't really kept track and am not entirely sure which one is/are left to do :/. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to play it some more then :D.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I have put my paws around an Xbone controller and found it to be lacking in many ways.

Done with Crysis Warhead. Short, relatively sweet, not as good as the main game. Psycho is an interesting character, but they went from him wisecracking the one moment to bawling about a dead marine the next, even though he never even fliched when Aztec and Jester got mauled at the start of the first game. Story felt a bit forced, and the cutscenes were just bad.

Game did look insanely pretty, though. Dat CryEngine.

I have put my paws around an Xbone controller and found it to be lacking in many ways.

I haven't but can't say I'm surprised. I don't find it attractive to look at either. It looks more like a Fisher Price product than an XBOX product to me. Rather different than the EXTREEEEEEEME angle they went for with the original XBOX. I guess Microsoft is going more for the family crowd now?

Almost done with Thomas Was Alone. It's a short game that is incredibly charming given that the main characters are all quadrilaterals. I could only play it in bursts, though, because there's only so many puzzles one can do at a time before it becomes exhausting. It's also got a great soundtrack, too, so if you got it through a humble bundle is recommend downloading that when you get a chance.

So yeah, play it. It'll quickly and joyfully help you reduce your backlog : )

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Max Payne 3 -- MB-0FACE93BCC412723 - Taken by DJSebolski. 34 entrants total.

t1391189392z1.png
cutscene.gif

I have yet to play this game but it sure does look fun just waiting for my 3 terabyte hard drive this game is a massive install.

nexen

Metal Gear Rising was going along 'ok'. I finally got used to the parry mechanic. Started to learn to compensate for the horrid lock on and terrible camera.
But then it shuts down my ability to run and parry for half of a level because Raiden has an attack of ... feelings.

Those soldiers you are chopping up might have ended up in combat because of a lack of opportunity in life? So sad. Must walk slowly through level face-palming and be unable to block.

Holy. Shit. My eyes rolled so far back into my skull I almost went blind.

Grief.exe

Metal Gear Rising was going along 'ok'. I finally got used to the parry mechanic. Started to learn to compensate for the horrid lock on and terrible camera.
But then it shuts down my ability to run and parry for half of a level because Raiden has an attack of ... feelings.

Those soldiers you are chopping up might have ended up in combat because of a lack of opportunity in life? So sad. Must walk slowly through level face-palming and be unable to block.

Holy. Shit. My eyes rolled so far back into my skull I almost went blind.

Metal Gear

It only lasts for about 1 minute, you can stealth around the field to the right.

nexen

Metal Gear

It only lasts for about 1 minute, you can stealth around the field to the right.

It lasts longer than that, but the length isn't the point. It really damages the quality of the experience for me. The writing is so juvenile that it is hard to take anything seriously.

Turfster

It lasts longer than that, but the length isn't the point. It really damages the quality of the experience for me. The writing is so juvenile that it is hard to take anything seriously.
It's... Metal Gear... and a spinoff about the most uninteresting character at that too =p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

No it literally lasts a minute. You have to cross exactly 1 courtyard which has no enemies on the right side.

nexen

No it literally lasts a minute. You have to cross exactly 1 courtyard which has no enemies on the right side.

Really doesn't matter. The length doesn't make it any less lame.

It's... Metal Gear... and a spinoff about the most uninteresting character at that too =p

Every time I see someone shrug and say 'Metal Gear' I think of these games like some mentally challenged buddy.
'Eh, what are you going to do? It's Randy. He has that extra chromosome."

Dr. Buni

oooohh they will be releasing white Xbox one controllers according to rumors :D

LTGEt1o.png

Looks great. Can't wait for the pc support i will definitely pick it up to replace my 360 one.
That is great. The controller is easily the best thing about the Xbone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yay my iphone was NOT dead, the charger cable was o/ Victory!

Thank god cause im kinda broke atm and the phone is out of warranty

I haven't but can't say I'm surprised. I don't find it attractive to look at either. It looks more like a Fisher Price product than an XBOX product to me. Rather different than the EXTREEEEEEEME angle they went for with the original XBOX. I guess Microsoft is going more for the family crowd now?

Microsft is the new Nintendo. ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What was wrong with it?

A pervasive feeling of something being "off," that's a little indescribable. The weight felt off, the build quality felt off, the size felt off, how it rested in my hand felt off, the triggers felt off.

It was weird, because I did prefer the 360 pad over the PS3's, but I tried their successors back to back and the PS4's honestly just felt better.

Having said that, I can't wait to be done with either company and embrace my full Valve-Warrior heritage.

Tenrius

For anyone considering Kingdoms of Amalur, I would not really recommend it. It's a shallow experience with horrible sidequests, questionable visual design, bland setting and unsatisfying combat. I played it for about 15 hours on the PS3 and basically gave up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nice :). That was a nice one to get too, I got that the other day. I only have a handful of non EW and Slingshot achievements left to get. Normally I couldn't care less about achievements but I'm so close it will bug me if I don't get them all. Do you intend to go back and get the last few you need for 100%? I am close to the end of my current, Classic playthrough and will have completed the game four times now. I think I have only one starting base left to do to get the achievement for starting and completing the game from all five base locations but I haven't really kept track and am not entirely sure which one is/are left to do :/. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to play it some more then :D.

I have two multiplayer achievements and every single difficulty related one. I don't have any interest in MP and the difficulty ones are way out of my league. Oh and the shoot down 40 UFOs and every starting country are just gonna be tedious. 10 achievements short felt like a good amount that I was content with.

FloatOn

For anyone considering Kingdoms of Amalur, I would not really recommend it. It's a shallow experience with horrible sidequests, questionable visual design, bland setting and unsatisfying combat. I played it for about 15 hours on the PS3 and basically gave up.

The combat is the only positive in the whole thing. Some of the environments are nice looking but you are correct on everything else.

I was only able to play about 20 hours before I called it quits.

Grief.exe

But...but Steam library count.

The combat is the only positive in the whole thing. Some of the environments are nice looking but you are correct on everything else.

I was only able to play about 20 hours before I called it quits.

Combat looks pretty fun. Think I will pick it up just to blast through the main story.

I've heard the side quests are numerous, garbage, and overlevels you.

MRORANGE

A pervasive feeling of something being "off," that's a little indescribable. The weight felt off, the build quality felt off, the size felt off, how it rested in my hand felt off, the triggers felt off.

It was weird, because I did prefer the 360 pad over the PS3's, but I tried their successors back to back and the PS4's honestly just felt better.

Having said that, I can't wait to be done with either company and embrace my full Valve-Warrior heritage.

I wasn't a big fan of the build quality of the X1 pad, felt like cheap plastic, the triggers were a bit off, other than that I thought it was okay, not really a forward step from the 360. Next-Gen rumble is a game-changer though and Valve really needs to add it to the Steam Controller.

nexen

Soooooooooooo...

Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Is it more Chaos Theory or Conviction?

I'd pay $20 for a modern Chaos Theory.

FloatOn

Combat looks pretty fun. Think I will pick it up just to blast through the main story.

I've heard the side quests are numerous, garbage, and overlevels you.

Even the main story is largely forgettable. It is really obvious all the way around that this was originally planned to be a mmo :/

Dr Dogg

I bought Amalur at full price about 2 weeks before it has a sale after 38 Studios going under. I regret nothing!

Well maybe a little due to putting in only about 2 hours of what is around a 60-100 hours game

I have yet to play this game but it sure does look fun just waiting for my 3 terabyte hard drive this game is a massive install.

Redoncilious cutscenes aside and the fact it's very different from Remedy's Max Payne, I quite enjoyed 3. Replaying it again just recently and when its mechanics work all in unison it really sings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom