• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Every time I see someone shrug and say 'Metal Gear' I think of these games like some mentally challenged buddy.
'Eh, what are you going to do? It's Randy. He has that extra chromosome."
Well, they sort of are. Nobody plays Metal Gear for the story, especially these days. While the first one was on par with an 80s action movie, the plots have gotten more and more silly as time went on.
You play it for the (stealth) gameplay (which is part of the reason I don't really like Rising, I guess)

Let's call it like it is: It's a Platinum game.

And that too.

Anteater

Really doesn't matter. The length doesn't make it any less lame.

Every time I see someone shrug and say 'Metal Gear' I think of these games like some mentally challenged buddy.
'Eh, what are you going to do? It's Randy. He has that extra chromosome."

It's about as dumb as all the other forced walking sections, they really should stop putting them into every game.

Soooooooooooo...

Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Is it more Chaos Theory or Conviction?

I'd pay $20 for a modern Chaos Theory.

You can play it like Conviction and you can almost play it like Chaos Theory.

It's not as good as CT but what is? It's a good stealth game and it rewards you for playing stealthily.

Daily: The Ship 80% off
Weekend:
  • Kingdoms of Amalur 70% off
  • Splinter Cell Franchise 66-75% off

KoA and Blacklist get!

no 75% on Blacklist?

tumblr_lzb9uyfa4o1qj4vs2o1_500.gif

Shit

FloatOn

Thanks for turning me off Amalur guys, I mean this without irony.

Your best bet for this kind of combat in a semi-open world is probably Darksiders.

From what I hear you can even get something of a loot fix in Darksiders 2.

I gave up on Darksiders also due to a really frustrating dungeon.

nexen

Well, they sort of are. Nobody plays Metal Gear for the story, especially these days. While the first one was on par with an 80s action movie, the plots have gotten more and more silly as time went on.
You play it for the (stealth) gameplay (which is part of the reason I don't really like Rising, I guess)

I always thought that MGS4 was far behind Splinter Cell and Thief in terms of stealth game play. I'm mystified that anyone likes it, to be honest.

MGR was doing better by me because it seemed to be a decent straight-up action game and wasn't delving too much into the MG universe shlock. I'm still enjoying it, mostly because the stupid parry mechanic is aggressively unforgiving and feels good when you pull it off, but I hope it doesn't keep damaging my brain like this.

It's about as dumb as all the other forced walking sections, they really should stop putting them into every game.

To be clear: I wasn't really complaining about the gameplay of it.
I was complaining about the idea that this man who has had his entire body turned into a killing machine, who has slaughtered hundreds if not thousands of men in hand-to-hand combat, suddenly becomes incapacitated because his enemy suggests that soldiers are people too.

Gvaz

Banned
cutscene.gif

I have yet to play this game but it sure does look fun just waiting for my 3 terabyte hard drive this game is a massive install.

It's a bit of a slog honestly. Enemies are stupid accurate, you die super fast, and max is just completely depressed and unlikable till the end.

To be clear: I wasn't really complaining about the gameplay of it.
I was complaining about the idea that this man who has had his entire body turned into a killing machine, who has slaughtered hundreds if not thousands of men in hand-to-hand combat, suddenly becomes incapacitated because his enemy suggests that soldiers are people too.

If that's what you're upset about, play for another five minutes.

Xanathus

Soooooooooooo...

Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Is it more Chaos Theory or Conviction?

I'd pay $20 for a modern Chaos Theory.

I really really enjoyed it, it's a mix of all the older Splinter Cell games with the whole Panther/Ghost/Assault scoring system. You get scored in separate categories based on what actions you take in the level (e.g. you get max Ghost points by not even knocking out a single guard, whereas you get Panther by killing every guard). People say that playing Panther is like Conviction while playing Ghost is like the other older games.

Microsft is the new Nintendo. ;)

Shhhh! The console warriors might hear you and come in here!

I have two multiplayer achievements and every single difficulty related one. I don't have any interest in MP and the difficulty ones are way out of my league. Oh and the shoot down 40 UFOs and every starting country are just gonna be tedious. 10 achievements short felt like a good amount that I was content with.

I can understand that; there are an awful lot of them. I got 90% of the EU ones in my first playthrough just from playing normally, as I suspect pretty much everyone does. Oh well, I enjoy the game so it's nice to have something to aim for I guess.

What's the reason for Pandora Tommorow's absence on Steam? Is it something similar to how Hitman: Contracts was?

An inability to replicate the lighting effects in the game apparently. Given the gameplay and the player's reliance on an accurate port in this respect that is a bit of a drawback!

Have you rewatched 80s action movies lately? ;)

Escape From New York is that old? :eek:

Hm, 1981 apparently.

Tenrius

I'd argue that the only game with a straight-up bad story is MGS4. The first three are pretty smart, funny and engaging in a special quirky way, with an occasional serious note thrown in. They don't necessarily make for good stories going by normal conventions, but succeed in establishing a kind of the series' own internal logic that manages to tie all the crazy references, flying GRU operatives and tragic deaths into something remarkably organic. Your enjoyment of the series depends on whether you can accept and apply that alternative logic or not, so it's really a love/hate situation for most people.

MGS4 though? Ugh.

nexen

You can play it like Conviction and you can almost play it like Chaos Theory.

It's not as good as CT but what is? It's a good stealth game and it rewards you for playing stealthily.

I really really enjoyed it, it's a mix of all the older Splinter Cell games with the whole Panther/Ghost/Assault scoring system. You get scored in separate categories based on what actions you take in the level (e.g. you get max Ghost points by not even knocking out a single guard, whereas you get Panther by killing every guard). People say that playing Panther is like Conviction while playing Ghost is like the other older games.

Thanks for the impressions. I think I'll just burn the card money and buy it. Lord knows what I really need right now is another PC game.

Grief.exe

Is this this first time KOA has been on sale on steam? I have on origin but I am double dipping for Curt Schillings bloody sock

After Rhode Island acquired the property they put it up for sale once and were in talks with Tony over at Amazon.
Then everything went quiet for some reason until the series failed to sell.

Truth. Thief 4 better not suck, or I will be very sad.

Better prepare your Xanax then.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How cheap was Kingdoms of Amalur with all DLC on Amazon? I remember it went for 5 dollars once, but what was the other, regular price?

I don't remember.

How cheap was Kingdoms of Amalur with all DLC on Amazon? I remember it went for 5 dollars once, but what was the other, regular price?

I don't remember.

I want to say it was 5 dollars for the whole collection because I bought it (origin key) i havent played it yet so I will bite now for the steam lulz

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I want to say it was 5 dollars for the whole collection because I bought it (origin key) i havent played it yet so I will bite now for the steam lulz

Yes, it was 5 dollars once for like a day. Tony never managed to get that price again.

I'm wondering what was the other price it came to. I don't remember if it was 7.50 or 12.00

Wok

Blink.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sideway New York -- MB-A3489C014C7F15FD - Taken by tylergregg. 2 entrants total.
Gnomoria -- MB-D01E5E0A30CA3402 - Taken by Shalashaska. 6 entrants total.
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-EA4852B3C18FDA35 - Taken by r3n4ud. 11 entrants total.

t1391117348z1.png

Anteater

Just
got out of jail
in mafia 2, guess that chapter was a little nice distraction, I kind of like how story driven the game is so far and it's nice to see the time pass and you can see minor things change progressively.

Bought Chaos Theory since I miss not having it since the OG Xbox.

Is the version of Double Agent that's on steam the OG Xbox version or the 360/PS3 version? I hear the OG Xbox version is worth playing but that the 360/PS3 version aint so hot.

Grief.exe

Bought Chaos Theory since I miss not having it since the OG Xbox.

Is the version of Double Agent that's on steam the OG Xbox version or the 360/PS3 version? I hear the OG Xbox version is worth playing but that the 360/PS3 version aint so hot.

From what I have heard its based on the PS3/360 version. Which is the one you want to stay away from apparently.

I don't really know too much about the history of that game, but I can't believe Ubisoft would spend so much money essentially developing two different games.

Any issues with Chaos Theory on Win7? Or other problems I should know about?

$2.50 to replay it without unpacking an Xbox is enticing.

Also I'll echo the consensus that Blacklist is pretty good. Definitely more classic Splinter Cell than Conviction. I think it strikes a great balance between the classic and conviction approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom