• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

Any kind gaffers here willing to gift me kingdoms of amalur so I can avoid the Aussie tax? I can PayPal right away.

My steam id is mrteachwell. My 1 month old baby girl and I thank you in advance.

Do you still want help with it? I could buy it for you from the Russian store (the cheapest price around) if you don't mind transferring the money via the community market.

I'd argue that the only game with a straight-up bad story is MGS4. The first three are pretty smart, funny and engaging in a special quirky way, with an occasional serious note thrown in. They don't necessarily make for good stories going by normal conventions, but succeed in establishing a kind of the series' own internal logic that manages to tie all the crazy references, flying GRU operatives and tragic deaths into something remarkably organic. Your enjoyment of the series depends on whether you can accept and apply that alternative logic or not, so it's really a love/hate situation for most people.

MGS4 though? Ugh.

I have played:

Metal Gear Solid [Playstation] *finished*
Metal Gear Solid 2 [Playstation 2] * finished*
Metal Gear Solid 3 demo [3DS]
and Metal Gear Ghost Babel VR Missions [Gameboy]

The fact that I enjoyed the latter far more than all the rest of that list put together probably tells you what I think of the Metal Gear story telling, stories and characters :p.

Wonder if Disney's going to try to copyright the word STAR in titles. :p

Heh although that is reminiscent enough of the Star Wars logo that their lawyers might be firing up their printer :).

That's why I added "these days". There's a 4 year gap between 3 and 4 ;)
Like I said, I like the older ones and find their stories comparable to 80s action movies, which I enjoy immensely.

We're getting old, me son.

What do you mean 'getting'? :p

*zimmer frame bump*

"You already own Serena".

Oh do I? Thanks!

Grief.exe

1gb MacOS update for the PC version?

Nabs linked and said they screwed up and released the French voice files.

I have played:

The fact that I enjoyed the latter far more than all the rest of that list put together probably tells you what I think of the Metal Gear story telling, stories and characters :p.

MGS3 is the best in the series, but you played the worst version!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sideway New York -- MB-D5F242FBBF588B23 - Taken by Shalashaska. 1 entrants total.
Mutant Mudds Deluxe -- MB-BB2030781D5E7095 - Taken by 73V3N. 7 entrants total.
Eldritch -- MB-CA986BC6B6321150 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 6 entrants total.

t1391113838z1.png

leftovers :)

chupon

Can anyone recommend anything else on Amazon's Editor's choice options? I have some codes left, but not much is left that I don't already have or am interested in.

Already purchased

GTA Trilogy 1.99
Tomb Raider 3.99
XCOM Collection 9.99
Max Payne 3 + L.A. Noire 2.99

Already own
Dark Souls
GTA IV
Borderlands 2
Bioshock infinite

Installing my ancient copy of Dirt 3 just in time for it being in a bundle; hope it's good. Is the bundle worth buying for Showdown? I heard that wasn't so hot.

Kanokare

Might not want to wait on Amazon's version of Kingdom of Amalur. It's not Steam version and EC coupon won't work. It will be PM'd though if you for some reason want the Origin version.

Can anyone recommend anything else on Amazon's Editor's choice options? I have some codes left, but not much is left that I don't already have or am interested in.

Already purchased

GTA Trilogy 1.99
Tomb Raider 3.99
XCOM Collection 9.99

Already own
Dark Souls
GTA IV
Borderlands 2
Bioshock infinite

Enslaved+Inversion: $7.49
2.49 after coupon.

Deques

Already purchased

GTA Trilogy 1.99
Tomb Raider 3.99
XCOM Collection 9.99

Already own
Dark Souls
GTA IV
Borderlands 2
Bioshock infinite

Enslaved + Inversion for 2.5$ after coupon tomorrow

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is it just me or Castleania LoS is really hard.
I'm 3 hours in and everything thougher than the regular mob is a pain to kill. Gabriel is super slow and I don't really like how the gameplay feels. Will it get better?

Ifrit

Is it just me or Castleania LoS is really hard.
I'm 3 hours in and everything thougher than the regular mob is a pain to kill. Gabriel is super slow and I don't really like how the gameplay feels. Will it get better?

Yes, definitely. The pace at the start is awful, but it gets better

KarmaCow

Is anyone else having trouble updating Payday 2? I'm supposedly downloading a update right now but it doesn't seem to be downloading anything and instead is just making my HDD make worrying grinding sounds. I think Dota 2 did the same thing but that resolved itself somehow.

I want to buy Amalur! Make me do it GAF!

I played the demo on PS3 for the hour they allotted and it was immediately in my "I want to play that someday". I bought it when it was $15 on steam in anticipation of getting a gaming PC that could run it someday... and then it went free on PS+. Now that I have my gaming PC, I just need to be in the mood for a long action RPG and I'm on board.

For $6? Go buy it.

The_Monk

I want to buy Amalur! Make me do it GAF!

As much as I would like it I can't recommend this game. I played and finished back in the day on the PS3 when I had the console and it felt like a really bland game with a very uninteresting story to be honest. The art style was also not my thing as I prefer something less "cartoon style". The quests are most fetch quests and some of the soundtracks get tiresome after some walking around in the world.

But if you want to really play it and your backlog is getting thinner then go ahead, I know that some people enjoyed it but it was rather boring for me to play until the end (but I did). As for the DLC I didn't play any of it. You can get 8 games, with some variety from the Codemasters bundle if that's to your liking for the very same price.

Tenrius

I have played:

Haha, it's a love/hate situation as I said. Were there any story-oriented games you did enjoy though, woo?

Eanan

As much as I would like it I can't recommend this game. I played and finished back in the day on the PS3 when I had the console and it felt like a really bland game with a very uninteresting story to be honest. The art style was also not my thing as I prefer something less "cartoon style". The quests are most fetch quests and some of the soundtracks get tiresome after some walking around in the world.

But if you want to really play it and your backlog is getting thinner then go ahead, I know that some people enjoyed it but it was rather boring for me to play until the end (but I did). As for the DLC I didn't play any of it.

I heard its a complete slog and chore to play, and is not that all interesting.

I got it for the Xbox for free a year or so ago when gamestop ireland had their massive fuckup online where you got a -€50 discount on any orders placed.

Have yet to open the plastic wrapper.

Grief.exe

Giantbomb on the Dark Souls II PC version. Important to note that all other previews are still going with the 2-3 weeks line. Namco rep said, 'shortly after,' on the Gamespot interview but we all know that that means.

A lot of questions on the PC release date, did they mention anything about that?

Ya, the interview we put up a couple hours ago addresses that. Sounds like, don't hold your breath. I don't know where I had gotten this idea that it was only a few weeks after, but reading between the lines it sounds like it might be a little while.

The thing they did say though was
A. From is doing the PC port. Learned a lot from the first one so PC people aren't going to get screwed on the technical side again.
B. The reason it is coming later is because they are taking the time to do it right.

Ezra2680

I heard its a complete slog and chore to play, and is not that all interesting.

I got it for the Xbox for free a year or so ago when gamestop ireland had their massive fuckup online where you got a -€50 discount on any orders placed.

Have yet to open the plastic wrapper.

It is one of my favorite games from my 500+ game library. So it obviously seems like it is up to individual taste. I never got bored in my 60+ hour play through. Just got the DLC and can't wait to play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom