• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening of Kingdoms of Amalur is very, very exposition heavy. I don't know why so many fantasy games have to get creative with the names of the races, it gets tedious. If it looks like a dwarf, call it a dwarf.

I'm so close to 100% on MGR:R.

11 DLC VR missions left to gold and then that accursed Amrstrong fight with no damage. If I can do those two things, it will unlock the last 4 achievements.

The only catch is getting the AI for Armstrong on my copy to act like it does in some of the guide videos up on YT. :lol

I'm probably boned. ^_^

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The opening of Kingdoms of Amalur is very, very exposition heavy. I don't know why so many fantasy games have to get creative with the names of the races, it gets tedious. If it looks like a dwarf, call it a dwarf.

Oh lord why did I buy this game.

Dread of playing increased by a million

masterkajo

Only the demo and I barely played it. I didn't even encounter any enemies I played it and dismissed it so quickly. If there was a good port of MGS3 that was a gameplay only version I'd give it a go but after the previous two games I have no desire to suffer any more of Kojima's bollox. If anything I would be more tempted to track down a copy of the GameBoy game and just play the VR missions :p.

Out of the hundreds, if not thousands of games I have played in my life I could probably count them on the fingers of one hand. Most of them make me want to scream frankly.

I thoroughly enjoyed The 39 Steps and Dear Esther but then I don't consider them games but stories with faux gameplay elements :p.

Right, back to XCOM! Got a planet to save! [Don't care!]

I can understand that MGS games can take a toll on you when it comes to story and cutscene
length
s. But in my humble opinion, Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best of the games. It has better gameplay and by far the best story.

Sober

I just played Chaos Theory for the first time in 2013 and I was blown away. Not only does it hold up extremely well, but it is one of the best games of all time in a dying genre.
Excited to give it away and let others experience the game for themselves.
It's a shame about your stance on UPlay, Blacklist is a fantastic and arguably the best gen7 stealth game that actually lets you play it pretty much 99% stealth. In some respects it's Conviction but much more refined but it has and rewards players who go the Chaos Theory route of not touching anyone. I know you would definitely enjoy it if you loved CT.

Turfster

It's a shame about your stance on UPlay, Blacklist is a fantastic and arguably the best gen7 stealth game that actually lets you play it pretty much 99% stealth. In some respects it's Conviction but much more refined but it has and rewards players who go the Chaos Theory route of not touching anyone. I know you would definitely enjoy it if you loved CT.
I'd love to play Blacklist... but since uPlay hates my guts, that's never going to happen (unless it's a ps+ freebie that I can play by pulling the network cable out of the ps3 I guess)

Grief.exe

has anyone broken 100 games won through modbot? a few are close :eek:

Get about half my current library count in less than one year? That would be quite the accomplishment.

I can buy Uplay games, it just comes down to when. Layering in DRM drastically reduces the value.
Maybe I would be interested at the $2-$5 mark, but there are other games at that price range that I am interested in that are not anti-consumer in that respect.

Steam wasn't ever all that stable.

They've been really good for the past six years or so. Pretty sure they have the industry standard 99.9% uptime. 99.99 is what everyone is looking for though.

Offline mode is always handy.

has anyone broken 100 games won through modbot? a few are close :eek:

I'd like to see the big list of winners like that big list of givers a while ago... hopefully no blacklists as a result... i'm at 40 according to loot stash plus counting up the latest pm's.

nexen

I can understand that MGS games can take a toll on you when it comes to story and cutscene
length
s. But in my humble opinion, Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best of the games. It has better gameplay and by far the best story.

This is the pattern that always seems to happen whenever I try an MGS game.

Me: I hate MGS. I'm not going to try this one no matter what.
Game reviews: New MGS gets 10/10! Game of the forever!
Internet: The new MGS is super awesome. Kojima is an artist!
Me: Fine. I'll fucking try it.
New MGS: Can love bloom on a battlefield? You are the clone of Big Boss's left testicle! Nanomachines. *shits pants*

So far MGR is breaking that cycle, but ... I remain worried.
You aren't going to get me to try MGS3.

Tenrius

Steam wasn't ever all that stable.

I don't remember it being this bad this often though. The last time it went down for about an hour, and that was just a couple days ago. It used to go down during the massive sales and mostly when people checked for new deals en masse. Outside of that it's been pretty stable.

Tellaerin

Eh, that's not a big deal to me. A little creativity helps give a stock fantasy world some flavor. Though I'm still waiting for the RPG that will give us a race of short, burly folk who are eloquent and refined and live in harmony with nature, and a tall, slender race of miners and engineers with practical temperaments who live underground. >.>

Grief.exe

I don't remember it being this bad this often though. The last time it went down for about an hour, and that was just a couple days ago. It used to go down during the massive sales and mostly when people checked for new deals en masse. Outside of that it's been pretty stable.

Steam did just grow about 10 million active user accounts in a couple months. Comparatively, both next-gen consoles combined haven't even seen that kind of growth.

2014 is going to be an interesting year.

Eh, that's not a big deal to me. A little creativity helps give a stock fantasy world some flavor. Though I'm still waiting for the RPG that will give us a race of short, burly folk who are eloquent and refined and live in harmony with nature, and a tall, slender race of miners and engineers with practical temperaments who live underground. >.>

Or maybe a game where dwarves don't have Scottish accents. Now THAT would be innovation!

The Black Mesa lead got a chance to try out ValveVR and wrote a blog post about his experience: http://cmonteroart.blogspot.com/2014/01/i-was-lucky-enough-to-not-only-attend.html

I probably late on this, but I had to post it. It's probably the best set of impressions I've seen yet.

I'd probably pay good money just experiencing this for 30 minutes to an hour. I'd do the same riding in a Google car. My fear is, mostly with the Valve VR thing, is that once I try it I'm going to need another taste soon after. Then I'll adopt a nasty drug habit and die a day before the thing hits the market.

Eanan

When can we realistically expect Day Z to go on sale do you guys think?

Id imagine the max sale discount would be like -20% anyway.

What annoys me most about when Steam is down is that the website is up with no indication there is a problem, and when you try to login it tells you your password is incorrect which is 100% bullshit. Then I always spend a few minutes futzing with the thing to try to login properly thinking it's my fault somehow.

Ezra2680

I'd probably pay good money just experiencing this for 30 minutes to an hour. I'd do the same riding in a Google car. My fear is, mostly with the Valve VR thing, is that once I try it I'm going to need another taste soon after. Then I'll adopt a nasty drug habit and die a day before the thing hits the market.

Same here. Reading that article makes me want to experience this so bad!

Grief.exe

LogoCycle's updates on the Steam Registry would imply that a release is imminent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbSKKepVMc

BfQqX2TCUAAH642.png:large

HoosTrax

Or maybe a game where dwarves don't have Scottish accents. Now THAT would be innovation!
I found it surprisingly jarring when I heard Sigrun, from DA:O-A, for the first time, and she sounded nothing like the stereotypical dwarf, whereas Oghren was about as close to the dwarf stereotype as you can get.

chronomac

Random question: What are some of the best HL2 mods? I've seen a few come through Greenlight but which ones are actually worth playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom