• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santini

Random question: What are some of the best HL2 mods? I've seen a few come through Greenlight but which ones are actually worth playing?

For multiplayer, I enjoyed the few times I managed to find other people and play NeoTokyo. If anything, great anime/cyberpunk-aesthetic, and a kick-ass soundtrack.

Paradox is awesome. They gave out Magicka: Wizard Wars for free as a goodwill gesture gift:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/202090/discussions/0/558746745593781046/#p3

Hi folks! I will explain the situation to you. (I'm the Community Developer for Magicka: Wizard Wars).

Some of you may or may not know that Paradox Interactive (the publisher for Magicka: Wizard Wars and the Mount and Blade games) will no longer continue to publish the Mount and Blade series. With this in mind and to offer a form of "thank you" for the 5 and a half years that some of you have been with us in one form or another we gave a little goodwill gesture gift.

The gift in this case was Magicka: Wizard Wars Early Access, it's up to you if you choose to play or not, but I will confirm you will NOT be charged a cent. Your play now is entirely free, and when the final version is launched that too will be free-to-play going forward.

We hope you have fun and again thank you for a fun 5 and a half years! (and hopefully even longer should you find Wizards to be your thing!)

rCIZZLE

This is the pattern that always seems to happen whenever I try an MGS game.

Me: I hate MGS. I'm not going to try this one no matter what.
Game reviews: New MGS gets 10/10! Game of the forever!
Internet: The new MGS is super awesome. Kojima is an artist!
Me: Fine. I'll fucking try it.
New MGS: Can love bloom on a battlefield? You are the clone of Big Boss's left testicle! Nanomachines. *shits pants*

So far MGR is breaking that cycle, but ... I remain worried.
You aren't going to get me to try MGS3.

As someone who absolutely loved MGS2 back when it first came out, I just couldn't get into any of the others. The depth of the gameplay (when you're actually allowed to play) just doesn't wow me anymore like it did in 2001. The cutscenes are way too long and filled with countless cringeworthy moments like Snake trying to be suave or Ocelot spinning his guns like a clown. They're also completely unpauseable in the PS2 and PS3 Collection versions which is a huge problem for their length.

Razorskin

----- ------
They've been really good for the past six years or so. Pretty sure they have the industry standard 99.9% uptime. 99.99 is what everyone is looking for though.

Offline mode is always handy.

Yeah but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that occasionally the store goes down once in a while. Thankfully it never impedes me from playing games just making purchases so it never bothered me.

Is anyone able to connect to Steam right now? Can't go online on my end.
I still can't get on, and the weird thing is offline mode won't work either.

I get the "can't connect" error, click on go offline, then it brings me back to the sign in window, rinse, repeat.

edit: had to disable my wifi to even get into offline mode. wut.

def sim

I didn't know it was coming to Steam. Interesting. Isn't it a Microsoft 1st party game?

A trademark search shows that it's a Microsoft IP, yes. It's not too strange for MS to release their games on Steam, though. We've seen Fable and, more recently, State of Decay added to the service.

Hopefully they bring Halo later in the year or the next.

MGS games continue to have some of the most involved and thought out mechanics in gaming(at the very least most detailed) so even if one dislikes the story I think all of them are worth playing. And although the narrative in MGS4 often veers towards the very silly it has some interesting storytelling devices that no other game has used.

Just finished Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches. A lot better than the Knife of Dunwall, a lot. The missions were fun, the enemies were dangerous, even forcing me to drop my 'no kills'-rule for the first time ever.

Plus, those pesky witches were asking for it.

Grief.exe

MGS games continue to have some of the most involved and thought out mechanics in gaming(at the very least most detailed) so even if one dislikes the story I think all of them are worth playing. And although the narrative in MGS4 often veers towards the very silly it has some interesting storytelling devices that no other game has used.

For example, in MGS2's opening Ship level, the bags of rice had rudimentary physics when you shot or cut them. This effect wasn't seen anywhere else in the game.

Its insane how detail oriented they can get at times.

I can understand that MGS games can take a toll on you when it comes to story and cutscene
length
s. But in my humble opinion, Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best of the games. It has better gameplay and by far the best story.

Well if I ever find some patience I'll give it a go.

However, the intro sequence to Super Metroid irritated me so I wouldn't hold your breath! :)

has anyone broken 100 games won through modbot? a few are close :eek:

My advice is not to ask questions you won't like the answer to :(.

Far better to focus on the lovely few who have contributed far more than that to their fellow GAFers :).

This is the pattern that always seems to happen whenever I try an MGS game.

Me: I hate MGS. I'm not going to try this one no matter what.
Game reviews: New MGS gets 10/10! Game of the forever!
Internet: The new MGS is super awesome. Kojima is an artist!
Me: Fine. I'll fucking try it.
New MGS: Can love bloom on a battlefield? You are the clone of Big Boss's left testicle! Nanomachines. *shits pants*

So far MGR is breaking that cycle, but ... I remain worried.
You aren't going to get me to try MGS3.

LOL I think I need to reconsider my non MGS playing ways.

If I could have a copy with your commentary to listen to instead of the characters that would be perfect :D.

Well if I ever find some patience I'll give it a go.

However, the intro sequence to Super Metroid irritated me so I wouldn't hold your breath! :)

My advice is not to ask questions you won't like the answer to :(.

Far better to focus on the lovely few who have contributed far more than that to their fellow GAFers :).

LOL I think I need to reconsider my non MGS playing ways.

If I could have a copy with your commentary to listen to instead of the characters that would be perfect :D.

MGS MST3K?

OK, I would pay money for that. =p

For example, in MGS2's opening Ship level, the bags of rice had rudimentary physics when you shot or cut them. This effect wasn't seen anywhere else in the game.

Its insane how detail oriented they can get at times.

Yeah, they are far from my top games (especially 4) but they are so unique that I consider that most every gamer should give them a shot or two. As you noted the world simulation can get so oddly in depth at times with these games. Lets folks do crazy stuff like this when they figure out how all the pieces work together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

A trademark search shows that it's a Microsoft IP, yes. It's not too strange for MS to release their games on Steam, though. We've seen Fable and, more recently, State of Decay added to the service.

Hopefully they bring Halo later in the year or the next.

While Halo coming to Steam (with Steamworks) would be nice, I'd rather have a port of Fable Anniversary.

MGS4 just needed an editor to cut a lot of the narrative down, but it had some great level design.

i wonder if any creative types can help:

i wanted to do a kind of thought experiment that tracks money and its changing form through steam. Originally I wanted to buy something on the marketplace from foreign sellers and monitor over the next few weeks to see how that money is spent, and how much is lost through conversion fees/steam tax. but I guess you cant buy outside your country. maybe i'll just buy some random items and track their gain/loss over time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
2596523-welp.png

survivor-smile.gif

edit: also Europa Universalis 4 and all its DLC are 75% off on Bundlestars

Serena's
ending makes a bit more sense after I found out who the developer was.

It's a nice surprise to see something so interesting pop up on Steam for free.

The_Monk

New Shadowrun expansion is up for pre-order. Guess I should get around to beating the base game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/272030/?snr=1_4_4__105_1

Took me around 12 hours to finish the game plus 3 hours of restarting and doing/repeating another whole mission in the end due to a save breaking glitch. It was worth it but It felt a bit short to be honest.

Either way, that game gave me much more hype and got me a lot more interested in Wasteland 2.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Random misc games I had giveaway, not much, but in case any of you all were interested in these:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-2DFFC8881C235518 - Taken by alr1ght. 1 entrants total.
Archon Classic -- MB-E921839F7EF15EED - Taken by tylergregg. 1 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers #2 -- MB-181C135644FCA7BC - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-4C98A4C948EC0EBA - Taken by Mavromatis. 2 entrants total.
Tales of Maj Eyal #2 -- MB-C5C934E7187EB420 - Taken by Kinky John. 2 entrants total.
Tales of Maj Eyal -- MB-7DE5423CC9D5D9E0 - Taken by Sinatar. 2 entrants total.
Shadows Price for Our Sins -- MB-05E082B8220FD5F1 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 2 entrants total.
Shadows Price for Our Sins #2 -- MB-3C0DB29B9D1F31FD - Taken by Reg. 1 entrants total.
Light of Altair -- MB-27312E306CBA2157 - Taken by bkw. 2 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-7DFBF378F27A1AC6 - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.

t1391125763z1.png

I know I am about 6hours late but holy shit, KoA finally gets a sale!!

EDIT: Jesus. ~$18 in AUS but ~$6 in US. Any US gaffer able to help me out here?

Myshkin

Dammit . i keep missing the wrong issuing city's on Passports in papers ,please !

Guess i am not cut out for border watch :p

Really they should just issue you a gun, so you can shoot someone if you think they shouldn't be allowed in but you can't find a reason.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I bought Amalur day 1 full price and loved it, suck it haters!

Its not very good, its basically a single player mmo, but Im a mmo freak so thats why I liked it I guess

I shoul play the dlc one of these days, or just replay the game (and play the dlc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom