• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Hello Gaf, let me tell you a tale of neurosis. And luck.
So I took quite a liking of Hearthstone these last few days. And looking to scratch that itch I tried SolForge on ipad. Played some games, all good, I even get a booster ! Yeah for boosters ! And then the game crashes on me while opening it. And I don't know which card I have won from the others. Yup, such distress, many sadness.
So I go back to Hearthstone while I wait for SolForge support to tell me if it is possible to delete a freshly created account to start over on the Steam version, where I won't have to bear with iOS. Oh, scheduled maintenance in one or two hours, big deal, I will be destroyed long before that. Hell yeah let's even start the nice mode that cost 150po a pop. Oh I'm good, maybe a little better, but hey two wins, three losses, time to take my reward and... a wild maintenance appear.
I don't know if I lost in game money or if I won some mystery cards, and I maybe won't know. I think life is trying to tell me something there.
OCD, how does it fucking work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
did anyone else get probably literally 250 copies of the epigenesis free weekend?

XQ39p9k.png

It keeps going for pages and pages and pages and pages and pages.

Edit: I got 683 copies of it.

Lingitiz

How daunting is EUIV for newcomers to the series? I like strategy games, but have never played any of the Paradox ones. Mostly stuck to Sid's.
It's intimidating at first but after an hour or so you'll get the basics down. I had fun with it from the word go which is all you can ask when learning these kinds of games.

Uraizen

Banned
did anyone else get probably literally 250 copies of the epigenesis free weekend?

http://i.imgur.com/XQ39p9k.png[img]

It keeps going for pages and pages and pages and pages and pages.

Edit: I got 683 copies of it.[/QUOTE]

I only got 36, but still... what happened here?

Parsnip

I just started a normal ironman run on Enemy Within couple days ago. And I don't remember how to play this game anymore.
I kind of hate picking up meld during the missions, I wish they would have made its gathering the same as alloys, weapon fragments etc.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Now I feel lacking for only having one listed.

Which is weird as I would never play the game.

Turfster

Wow, Chaos Theory is a really "fuck you keyboard player" kind of stealth game, huh?
You have no modulation of your speed, so even if you crouch and move slowly, you're still making enough noise to wake the dead.

Grief.exe

Wow, Chaos Theory is a really "fuck you keyboard player" kind of stealth game, huh?
You have no modulation of your speed, so even if you crouch and move slowly, you're still making enough noise to wake the dead.

Use the mouse wheel.

I actually thought the M/KB controls were quite solid.

Faabulous

How daunting is EUIV for newcomers to the series? I like strategy games, but have never played any of the Paradox ones. Mostly stuck to Sid's.

It's not that complicated. If you are not worried about min/maxing or actually winning you can just jump right in and figure it out as you go.

tim.mbp

I've not played EUIV but from what I read its the most accessible Paradox game.

It's the perfect starting point in my opinion. The tutorial actually helps you get a grasp on the basics of the game (At least it did for me). Much of it is hands-on learning so you don't spend an hour watching a video guide unless you really want to.

I was able to just jump into EUIII, and from what I've played of it so far EUIV seems even more streamlined.

It's intimidating at first but after an hour or so you'll get the basics down. I had fun with it from the word go which is all you can ask when learning these kinds of games.

It's not that complicated. If you are not worried about min/maxing or actually winning you can just jump right in and figure it out as you go.

Thanks. For $10, I'll give it a shot.

I finished Red Faction: Guerrilla the other day. Here are my impressions:

+Destroying stuff is fun and pretty.
+Running around in a mech, swinging your arms destroying things is definitely a high point.
+The story missions were fun.

-The open world achieved nothing in this game. Vast openness with absolutely no reason to explore any of it. Of course since it is on Mars it's going to be a bland landscape, but its like they didn't even try. Just set the GPS, follow the arrows, and never look around because there is nothing to see.
-No mid-mission checkpoints. Especially annoying when when you restart a mission, the game requires you to drive back to the mission location again.
-The cars all handled like boats. The boring open world would have been more tolerable if it was fun to get around.
-Cookie cutter side missions. Copy and paste missions just in different locations. Pretty much required to unlock story missions.
-Infinite waves of bad AI. If you are having fun swinging your hammer destroying stuff, the game sends infinite waves of enemies to your location. Truckload after truckload, to the point where they comes speeding in to come kill you, but just smash into the mass of trucks already there from the last wave. I guess I'll tack lack of enemy variety in here, too.
-Bad and unnecessary friendly AI. If you begin to fight in this game, you will most likely get a shipment of Guerrilla Reinforcements. A group of braindead AI that attempt too kill your attackers. There are several problems with this. 1) They are worthless fighters. 2) They get killed easily and are really only good for distracting enemies. 3) Every time one dies, your civilian population gets demoralized. This basically penalizes you for them being there, even if you never wanted them there in the first place. 4) The game constantly has you destroying buildings. The AI just follows you around so they get hit by all explosions/falling debris from the building you are destroying, again penalizing you.
-Sometimes wonky physics.

Overall, it was barely playable for me. I don't think I can ever play through it again. The destruction is the only thing worth experiencing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

+Running around in a mech, swinging your arms destroying things is definitely a high point.

-The open world achieved nothing in this game. Vast openness with absolutely no reason to explore any of it. Of course since it is on Mars it's going to be a bland landscape, but its like they didn't even try. Just set the GPS, follow the arrows, and never look around because there is nothing to see.
-No mid-mission checkpoints. Especially annoying when when you restart a mission, the game requires you to drive back to the mission location again.
-The cars all handled like boats. The boring open world would have been more tolerable if it was fun to get around.
-Cookie cutter side missions. Copy and paste missions just in different locations. Pretty much required to unlock story missions.
-Infinite waves of bad AI. If you are having fun swinging your hammer destroying stuff, the game sends infinite waves of enemies to your location. Truckload after truckload, to the point where they comes speeding in to come kill you, but just smash into the mass of trucks already there from the last wave. I guess I'll tack lack of enemy variety in here, too.
-Bad and unnecessary friendly AI. If you begin to fight in this game, you will most likely get a shipment of Guerrilla Reinforcements. A group of braindead AI that attempt too kill your attackers. There are several problems with this. 1) They are worthless fighters. 2) They get killed easily and are really only good for distracting enemies. 3) Every time one dies, your civilian population gets demoralized. This basically penalizes you for them being there, even if you never wanted them there in the first place. 4) The game constantly has you destroying buildings. The AI just follows you around so they get hit by all explosions/falling debris from the building you are destroying, again penalizing you.

Overall, it was barely playable for me. I don't think I can ever play through it again. The destruction is the only thing worth experiencing.
Always good to see another sane person's opinion on the game. The love the open world gets is mindboggling.

Sober

Yep, this is about right. I actually had to set this game to Easy to enjoy the enemy spam. Everyone said to do it for JC2 as well, but I never had a problem with that. RFG however, is only fun when you are smashing buildings in one form or another and not really fun at all fending off enemies because it has dumb open world shit.

-hal-

Started Spelunky for my first time. Pretty fun and hard. Any tips or advice?

-Go slow and steady.
-Before leaping down, be sure you can see where you will land. Duck and push down on your stick so that the screen drops and gives you a little sneak peek.
-Don't piss off the shop keepers!
-Webs are your friend - it's easy to lead a difficult enemy into the web where you can whip them mercilessly.
-If you happen upon a dark level, be sure to pick up the torch at your feet, right where you begin.

FloatOn

played some Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons today. To be specific I just finished chapter 2.

Had I played this last year like I should have it would have been a game of the year contender. Despite my short time spent with the game I can already tell that this is something special. It does everything ICO did but better.

And I should mention that I'm playing it on ps3 because of playstation plus. I'm loving it so much that I may actually buy it on steam because I know this game can look better on pc.

side note: the camera work is this game is fucking brilliant and I wonder if such techniques could be used on the isometric action rpg. one can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom