• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just booted up the PC version of Thief: Deadly Shadows and... what the heck is with these controls? Why do shift and control auto-walk forward at different speeds? I get that one is walk and one is sneak, but why have them move Garrett forward when holding them?

They should be a toggle or just work like walk buttons in every other game ever, sheesh.

zkylon

zkylewd
Apparently, Paradox isn't publishing Mount & Blade 2. Tale Worlds went independent.

I heard from someone relatively close to the project that they were doing so good on that game last year but they seem to be back on track based on their blog

really hope that game turns into a reality, I love warband to death

HoosTrax

So, it seems that free games cannot be permanently added to your library? (Referring to Serena) Meaning if you delete local content, it also disappears from the library.

Turfster

So, it seems that free games cannot be permanently added to your library? (Referring to Serena) Meaning if you delete local content, it also disappears from the library.

Nope, they're only there if you have at least the directory and some of the files on your drive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Steam has a free licence system that allows users to "purchase" free content but aside from L4D2 I've never seen a developer use it for anything but DLC, which is disappointing. And on that note I'm glad that I'm one of the handful of people who managed to get a key for Shadow Warrior Classic before Devolver binned them and released it for free. ;)

Free games with DLC can be tethered to your library by purchasing a piece of said DLC, but unfortunately, unlike free licence "purchases", this doesn't add to your game count (it should, though).

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Free games with DLC can be tethered to your library by purchasing a piece of said DLC, but unfortunately, unlike free licence "purchases", this doesn't add to your game count (it should, though).

tumblr_mbqq7pmzBR1rrzlrq.gif

Yep, this is about right. I actually had to set this game to Easy to enjoy the enemy spam. Everyone said to do it for JC2 as well, but I never had a problem with that. RFG however, is only fun when you are smashing buildings in one form or another and not really fun at all fending off enemies because it has dumb open world shit.

The difference to me is that JC2 is insanely fun to get around the world. If you are getting spammed with enemies, just zipline/parachute out of there. I spent so much time in JC2 just exploring not even caring about the missions because it was so much fun trying to combine all of the traversal mechanics that game had. RF:G had nothing fun about its traversal. The jetpack was a welcome addition when I unlocked it, but it still could have been a lot better.

That sounds about right for RF:G.
Hell, I didn't really like the story missions all that much either.

I have pretty low standards :D

JaseC

I wonder if EA bought it if only so they wouldn't have any licensing issues since they obviously sell it on Origin

edit: in my dreams they bought it because they changed their minds about a sequel

EA's only co-publishing the Steam version, which suggests to me that it didn't buy the IP and was just added as a publisher to handle Steam-related affairs since nobody within the RI government wanted to do so except for that one time. 38 Studios doesn't exist in any capacity so it wouldn't make sense for it to still be listed as a publisher if RI no longer had the IP.

HoosTrax

Nope, they're only there if you have at least the directory and some of the files on your drive.

Steam has a free licence system that allows users to "purchase" free content but aside from L4D2 I've never seen a developer use it for anything but DLC, which is disappointing. And on that note I'm glad that I'm one of the handful of people who managed to get a key for Shadow Warrior Classic before Devolver binned them and released it for free. ;)

Interesting. Good to know. Is there a list somewhere of "free-free" (as in not F2P) games?

Edit: Just realized that Pinball Arcade offers a free table, like Zen Pinball FX2. Gonna have to DL that and try it...

JaseC

Turfster

What games are these?

Is this like, riddle time, or do you not know the answer either?
Both look... interesting.
Edit: Wait. Dark Messiah? Now that you mention it... I need to replay my copy, it's been too long...
Edit2: Okay, so I lost my 360 copy...
Edit3: Hey GMG or Amazon, do another sale plz. (Also lol @ the DLGamer 6% sale as the most recent)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait that Serene game is an actual full free game like Alien Swarm? I thought it was like a episode 1 type deal, like that haunted something

Backlogger

Just finished Far Cry 3 with 100% completion. Also got all the single player achievements. Went to do a Co-op map to get the co-op achievements. 99% sure I was in start to finish and did not get an achievement. This is why I hate multi-player achievements.

Sober

Just finished Far Cry 3 with 100% completion. Also got all the single player achievements. Went to do a Co-op map to get the co-op achievements. 99% sure I was in start to finish and did not get an achievement. This is why I hate multi-player achievements.
I'm so sorry.

The PS4 and Xbox One need to stop compressing their game captures to hell. Both have some gorgeous games already but those screencaptures/videos make them look like garbage.

JaseC

Wait that Serene game is an actual full free game like Alien Swarm? I thought it was like a episode 1 type deal, like that haunted something

Well, it's free, but I wouldn't say it's a full game as even the description mentions that it's short.

Grief.exe

Metro: Last Light is the perfect example of why I hate two weapon systems.

They have all these awesome guns in the game, but I can't really use any of them. Its tough to justify carrying anything, but an assault rifle and a shotgun.

Wow this modified pistol I just picked up with a sight, silencer, and stock is awesome, but it won't be as powerful as my other weapons.
At the very least they should allow two guns and a sidearm.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Metro: Last Light is the perfect example of why I hate two weapon systems.

They have all these awesome guns in the game, but I can't really use any of them. Its tough to justify carrying anything, but an assault rifle and a shotgun.

Wow this modified pistol I just picked up with a sight, silencer, and stock is awesome, but it won't be as powerful as my other weapons.
At the very least they should allow two guns and a sidearm.

It was a strange regression from how Metro 2033 did it. Sidearm, Main weapon, "Power" weapon.

I don't know, I'd feel pretty overpowered if I could carry a shotgun, rifle, silenced pistol, and so on all at once. It works in a game like Metro.

It was a strange regression from how Metro 2033 did it. Sidearm, Main weapon, "Power" weapon.
Did it do that? In any case Metro Last Light had a lot of weird little regressions. Grenades and knifes no longer being holdable weapons being the main one. You can't even cook a grenade any more :/ The worst thing is putting subweapons on the terrible tab/mouse system.....that's fucking invisible on ranger hardcore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Playing both of the new Operation Flashpoints back to back is a night and day experince. Holy crap Red River really did go hard on that Call of Duty money trail. It still has some "milsim" elements, but they go overboard with the cursing in the first mission.

And both PC versions has 360 controller buttons for tutorials and menus with no PC keyboard icons. WTF?

At least the Humble Bundle gives Dragon Rising's "island tour" DLC/mode out for free so you can at least ignore the aimbot AI from five miles and just go fly helicopters and drive the vehicles across a massive island if that's your mode of play.

hlhbk

Is anyone else having Stream act weird? Every time I go into my library Stream goes to download the icons for the games in grid view and it takes FOREVER to download the icons.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
About the Codemaster bundle, are the bonus games grouped in one link?

From what someone said earlier, both tiers are single link.

Me. Yes. All the games are bundled in a single-link. WHY.jpg do developers/publishers continue to do this when they have that Steam link/gift-giveaway option now a days? If they're going to bundle all of that together and give it to me in one go with no say in what I want to do with the stuff I don't care about (Overlord, Red River) they need to make a notice so I can AVOID buying that stuff to put my foot down on them having a say in what I do with the stuff I freaking bought from them. >:|

Does anyone have any opinions on the Grim Dawn beta, it looks great, seemingly plays great, looks pretty scarce content wise as is for $30 though. With the right vision I think it could turn out better than PoE.

JaseC

Does anyone have any opinions on the Grim Dawn beta, it looks great, seemingly plays great, looks pretty scarce content wise as is for $30 though. With the right vision I think it could turn out better than PoE.

I haven't played it since the alpha launched but the short version is "If you like Titan Quest you'll like Grim Dawn."

Edit: $9.50 for the Blacklist DDE is something I can get behind.

I haven't played it since the alpha launched but the short version is "If you like Titan Quest you'll like Grim Dawn."

Edit: $9.50 for the Blacklist DDE is something I can get behind.

Cool, now to figure out how to influence a half off sale :p. Craving another arpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom