• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Paradox is losing publishing rights entirely -- they're reverting back to TaleWorlds:
You get Steam keys if you buy the games from TaleWorlds' site, so there's a good chance the games will still be available on Steam even after Paradox loses their rights.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You get Steam keys if you buy the games from TaleWorlds' site, so there's a good chance the games will still be available on Steam even after Paradox loses their rights.

Yeah, I did some poking around last night and decided against buying spare keys from Indie Gala.

This probably heavily depends on the size of the DLC. At least for me.

Legend of Dead Kel got some good reviews.

Destructoid said:
What could have easily been "just another bunch of quests on a new location" has been crafted into a variety of enjoyable elements to occupy yourself with. It's quite long, too, easily taking you six hours or more to complete nearly everything there is to do on the new island. Moreover, it offers an excellent opportunity to try out a new build if you've been stocking up powerful equipment in your stash, but never bothered to commit to a full respec of your abilities before.

Teeth of Naros weren't very good though.

Destructoid said:
Although you'll spend nowhere near the promised "at least 20 hours" of time in "Teeth of Naros," it's not a bad adventure for Reckoning fans; just not a great one, either. The main storyline will take you around four to five hours if you take the scenic route and complete a few sidequests along the way, and after finishing the main story of the DLC, you're looking at perhaps an hour or two of sidequesting, tops.

I have no idea about how useful the Weapons and Armor are.

I bought the complete pack for $25-30 (the base price was higher) or whatever it was last time it was on sale when people were sure it would never go on sale again so I guess $6 extra just isn't a big deal to me. I also like to have all the DLC for my games (even though for some I don't.)

JaseC

Wish I could tell you. I haven't started playing Amalur yet, though I'm looking forward to it. (I seem to remember JaseC being pretty positive about the game.) I've finally gotten around to starting my ME3 playthrough now that I have all the story DLC, and that's pretty much been occupying my gaming time lately. (Haven't been babbling about my experience here because this is the Steam thread, and since ME3's Origin only, you might throw a brick at me or something if I did. :p )

It's not a bad investment if you're okay with the sort of RPG depth seen in the likes of Fable. The game's biggest faults are that it's far too big for its own good and little attention was paid to balancing, so, particularly if you're one to complete sidequests before progressing forward with the main mission line, it's quite easy to become overpowered and stay above the curve, removing any semblance of challenge.

It runs not good on PS3, that's why I wanted it on PC and Jasec told me it runs great on PC, I believe him ;)

Yeah, the PC version is fine. Loading times are virtually non-existent even if you're running it from a HDD.

He already owns it, and he played it alot :)

I'd still like to get around to the DLC at some point.

but does he have the dlc?

I bought it -- at full price -- during last year's Summer Sale as I assumed the game would disappear from Steam due to 38 Studios being dissolved. I was wrong, but better safe than sorry! ;)

Knurek

It's not a bad investment if you're okay with the sort of RPG depth seen in the likes of Fable. The game's biggest faults are that it's far too big for its own good and little attention was paid to balancing, so, particularly if you're one to complete sidequests before progressing forward with the main mission line, it's quite easy to become overpowered and stay above the curve, removing any semblance of challenge.

I can confirm this. If you want to be challenged, start on hardest difficulty and do only main questline/major sidequests. Otherwise you will reach maximum possible level halfway through the game.
Combat is fun, fun, fun though. Pity there aren't more enemy types in the game, there's like, 20 of them not including color swaps.

I bought the base game of Kingdoms of Amalur and I'm loving it so far, wish I would have played it before when I didn't have such a huge backlog, but I'm wrecking shit up with my Commander Shepard armor and Omniblades.

header_292x136.jpg

I just finished Outlast. I wasn't as impressed as others seem to have been. It's way more of a thriller game with jump scares, than what I consider to be a horror game.

There's usually a point in these kinds of games where the scare tactics fade away, and you notice the mechanics behind them. Once that occurs, the game suddenly has a lot less tension, since instead of being super afraid of the monster pursuing you, you're now just paying attention to their looping routine around the level.

That happened within the first 20 minutes of Outlast for me. It's not necessarily a terrible thing, but it did remove a lot of tension from the game from that point on. It continued to degrade from there, as you find out that dying is often more advantageous than hiding, as it gets you to the starting point in the many "Go find three Fuses/Turn two cranks/Pull two lever" 'puzzles' the game throws at you. When caught, you get a very clear look at a 3D rendered generic looking monster, which tears away any remaining fear of them. The sound design does a pretty good job at trying to restore some of it, and the chase sequences remained pretty okay because of that alone.

The thing that made games like Amnesia really special to me, is the looming sense of dread. Outlast never really had that for me. The nightvision camera effects were cool though, and the game does have it's moments of legitimate spooks. It's just more often than not, you're left with a bad stealth game, with increasingly ineffective jump scares.

I'll still probably check out the DLC, since I liked the game well enough. I just wished that the spooks lasted longer than they did.

header_292x136.jpg

I also finished Castle of Illusion - Starring Mickey Mouse! right before Outlast (the ultimate palate cleanser). It's a pretty good 3D sidescroller with some pretty problematic 3D movement platforming sections (as in behind the back camera, no longer sidescrolling). I had a ton of issue knowing where I was going to land in these bits, and died countless times because of it. The sidescrolling stuff is pretty awesome though. It has a pretty good challenge curve to it. It's worth checking out.

Thezez

Banned
Yes yes y'all.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-1FBBF9E4FD3D9938 - Taken by Dice. 5 entrants total.

t1391155959z1.png

Note: I'm fairly sure this hasn't been used, my sincere apologies if it has though..

milenko79

Neo Member
Didn't see this mentioned yet, but looks like there'll be a couple last minute additions to the Amazon Editors' Choice sale. I didn't see them live yet, but...

Dark Souls and Enslaved/Inversion for $2.49 each!?!?!

That'll teach me to not reload! ARGH!

Is naruto region locked, or can I use the key on my eu account

milenko79

Neo Member
The NA sub only excludes Japan and China, so if you're in either of those countries you'll need to use Spotflux to activate the key.

So a dutch account wouldn't be a problem, great. Been wanting a pricedrop for naruto for some time. Thanks Jasec

I can see why Splinter Cell: Blacklist is divisive like Hitman Absolution. I think it's got some neat stealth mechanics but the whole mark and execute system, the level and encounter design feel like they are funneling me into these action-y combat situations and rewarding me for my aggressive play. One of the scoring trees is for pure stealth but the other two are for aggressive stealth (shooting everyone you see without being detected) and open combat. The only thing that stops this from being a completely standard third person shooter is the fact that Sam can't sponge much damage and your ammunition for silenced weapons is kind of limited, although there seem to be frequent refresh points for your gear and ammo peppered throughout a level.

I like the sticky cover system, how easy it is to dart from cover to cover. I like the detection system and representation for where you were last spotted. The noisy surfaces scattered across a level are neat too but don't seem to have a whole lot of impact on the actual game. The controls are well implemented on mouse and keyboard but they feel almost too simple. There's too few buttons doing too many context sensitive things and not a lot of them feel stealth oriented. Then there's the mark and execute stuff, persistent in the H.U.D. with lots of prompts to use it. It's been a long time since I last played a Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, and this doesn't really feel much like Splinter Cell games I played back in the day. It's all kinds of dumb fun though, I'll blast my way through the story campaign and call it a day.

Had some uPlay shenanigans when I first launched the game, after I entered the serial key there was no play button available in the launcher. Exiting the client didn't work, I had to manually kill the instance with task manager, relaunched and was able to play. It's not GFWL bad but uPlay is still kinda awful.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Not a game for me, but I'm sure someone will be able to enjoy it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Stop modding Mount & Blade and just play the actual game

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Inversion -- MB-15BDDB90E4FD9002 - Taken by schuey7. 19 entrants total.

t1391166804z1.png

bkw

Aw man, Enslaved!
If anyone has spare coupon they won't be using, and take Paypal, and is willing to help a guy out, let me know. =)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have entered every single giveaway for SS2013 not just since this HB, but since the game came out. It is finally mine!

iB51hbULSR1Zl.gif

Thanks Thezez!

JaseC

I don't think Jase knows that feel.

Let's hope he never does.

The day I can't buy a game is the day I will dissolve into nothingness. Having no money does suck, though: I had to all but skip the 2012 Autumn and Winter Sales entirely due an abrupt change of Christmas plans and was ill-prepared for last year's Ubi sale as it was two months early (March rather than May) and I'd just bought a second 670.

Inversion activates fine in Canada.

Activation is locked to North, South and Central America, to be thorough.

PurchaseRestrictedCountries US CA MX PR BS PA BZ CR SV GT HN NI VE CO GY SR GF BR PE BO PY UY AR CL EC

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The day I can't buy a game is the day I will dissolve into nothingness.

It's locked to North, South and Central America to be thorough.

whoa whoa whoa, is tht for Enslaved also?

JaseC

whoa whoa whoa, is tht for Enslaved also?

Enslaved is fine, unless you happen to be in Japan or China.

Oh mighty JaseC, king of Steam Library peasants, how risky would it be to use a VPN to redeem Inversion!?

Praise the Sartoise Romulan!

Theoretically it carries the risk of your account being restricted (the SSA says that VPN usage may lead to one's account being banned/disabled, but Valve stopped doing that almost two years ago now in favour of a restriction-based system so people could still access their existing library), however there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve caring about VPN usage when it comes to activating region-locked keys or unlocking games early; neither affect Valve's bottom line.

Edit: Uh, fixed. Got my wires crossed for a moment there.

Edit edit: You can even use a VPN to get around the recently-introduced gifting/trading restriction but I wouldn't recommend that.

Here we go... enjoy :D

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Inversion -- MB-B94F46AB917C1852 - Taken by alr1ght. 3 entrants total.
Enslaved -- MB-429FC9D5511ACC3B - Taken by user237. 38 entrants total.

t1391168064z1.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the dude on the enslaved cover looks like the Dothraki leader that gets to bone Daenerys Targaryen

It's $7.50 on amazon now btw :(

PriitV

got in on the enslaved deal and now I'm all out of EC coupons :(
I guess there were some good EC deals throughout the January.

Man I knew I should have bought something else and got another $5 coupon, I really want Enslaved and Inversion. Is there anyway to get another coupon during the sale? I highly doubt it but it's worth an ask.

Finally something interesting in that Amazon sale and I has no monies. Who needs an education, right? I coulda bought a lot of 2.49 games for the cost of tuition. :p If people want it and are willing to google wallet money to me (you can do that, right?) I do have 5 of those coupons. At least Amazon says I have $25 in credit for games, so yeah. I stopped using paypal when they kept constantly locking me out of my account and asking for proof of address multiple times a year. :(

I super wanna try Enslaved, so I hope it goes cheap again later in the year.

:O I just checked my PMs, and I won Stealth Bastard! Thanks, Ezra. :) (I should probably check those more often...)

JaseC

Man I knew I should have bought something else and got another $5 coupon, I really want Enslaved and Inversion. Is there anyway to get another coupon during the sale? I highly doubt it but it's worth an ask.

Best you can do is ask someone with spares to help you out in exchange for PayPal Bucks or something else of equal value. Alternatively, you might find people in the trading scene selling the game for a key or two.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, yeah. US only i'm afraid. Too bad, looks like dumb fun. Atleast I can gift something again. :)
ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Inversion -- MB-4801E9BDCD3D7E38 - Taken by topyy. 11 entrants total.

t1391168559z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom