• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I've heard that Remember Me improves drastically if you play it in French with subtitles, like how it's recommended to play Metro 2033 in Russian.

I played the first 1/4 of Last Light with Russian voice actors, but I spent more time looking at subtitles than experiencing the world.

The English voice actors got much better in the sequel.

Cade

Went ahead and bought one more bundle to give Enslaved to a friend so I've got one last Inversion code:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Inversion -- MB-61815525F6680BFB - Taken by Dimitri2401. 5 entrants total.

t1391185436z1.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Enslaved & Inversion Pack Giveaway!
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Instructions for Participants:
Create something about Dino Crisis and Steam.
I'm VERY open on What that entails and will allow whatever your imagination can conjure up.
Use photoshop, MSpaint, GIF maker, whatever you're best at and feel can help you win.

*3 Winners will be chosen and receive both Inversion AND Enslaved*

PM YOUR ENTRIES SO THAT I CAN SEE THEM ALL.
You can still post them in the thread for all to see though.

t1391197500z1.png

"Seven Hours. Seven Hours is all I can spare to play with you"

Posting again for new page.
iq5L3GkcqxpII.gif

GaussTek

Daamn. I forgot I entered a giveway yesterday and I just woke up to see I won YS 1&2 Chronicles.

Great way to start the day. Thanks a lot Ezra2680!!

HOT DOGS HERE!
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gnomoria -- MB-044F2F4205DE2E15 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 9 entrants total.

t1391195471z1.png

XShagrath

Reposting this, as I don't think it had been taken (again). Modbot may not have updated, since it's a re-used (unused) key. Either that, or the game's so bad that no one wants it.

Rehosting this giveaway for jonno294. I didn't realize I already had the key from the latest Indiegala bundle.

Instructions for XShagrath:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

http://cdn3.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...er_292x136.jpg
Velvet Assassin -- MB-DE405246759BD19B
All thanks should be directed to jonno394, as this was originally his key.

Zimbardo

hey guys ...just wondering if anyone knows how the pc port is of Enslaved?

i'm assuming its a pretty good port ...but dunno for sure. i heard some saying it was a bad port.

edit: thx for the info!

Parsnip

So can someone enlighten me on how to deal with Amazon deals that require US billing address? I'm sure it's common knowledge with the esteemed Steamgaf, but I'm new here, kind of.

Acccent

Dontnod is a French company, so maybe?

yup but I'm pretty sure the... *checks mobygames*

nope you're right the dialogues seem to have first been written in french then translated. also funny to see that apparently one of the guys who worked on the translation worked on the crew up until recently :p

gabbo

So can someone enlighten me on how to deal with Amazon deals that require US billing address? I'm sure it's common knowledge with the esteemed Steamgaf, but I'm new here, kind of.

I signed up for borderlinx. Allows me to use a us address without having one.
http://borderlinx.com/

you could always just write in the address of google or yahoo or whatever and use your normal billing since they dont care if they match for digital purchases afaik

Hanzou

I signed up for borderlinx. Allows me to use a us address without having one.
http://borderlinx.com/

you could always just write in the address of google or yahoo or whatever and use your normal billing since they dont care if they match for digital purchases afaik
Yep. I live in Canada and have been using a random US address with my Canadian credit card for years. No problems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know this is a off topic, but i always wondered where mods Fraw the line with Gore .
Now obviously you do not want any real life footage of say Shots of people ripped apart after a car bomb .
But then you see gifs like The head explosion one or any other violent gory death in both movies or games .

So in essence : Gore that involves anything real life like the above example are a big no-no but gore from Movie's or Games are perfectly ok regardless of how extreme it might be .

Have i got this correct ?

We just sort of ballpark it. Something that's less realistic looking has more leeway than something that's more realistic looking (or real); something that's smaller has more leeway than something that's larger; something that's linked and labeled has more leeway than something that's posted inline; something that's in-context to the thread is given more leeway than something totally random; something posted once is given more leeway than a wall of people quoting something or one person spamming something.

Personally I don't even notice the Scanners head explosion as gore because it's both so unrealistic and also so well known to be from a movie. I'd remove a post from someone in-lining that God of War head-rip GIF in a thread that wasn't in context. It's pretty gross and trivially NSFW. I've removed combination spoiler and gore GIFs from Breaking Bad (if you've seen the whole show, I think you'll probably be able to think of some of the cases). I probably wouldn't remove a picture of someone having a nosebleed or whatever, although maybe if it was someone's avatar.

hohoXD123

Enslaved & Inversion Pack Giveaway!
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Instructions for Participants:
Create something about Dino Crisis and Steam.
I'm VERY open on What that entails and will allow whatever your imagination can conjure up.
Use photoshop, MSpaint, GIF maker, whatever you're best at and feel can help you win.

*3 Winners will be chosen and receive both Inversion AND Enslaved*

PM YOUR ENTRIES SO THAT I CAN SEE THEM ALL.
You can still post them in the thread for all to see though.

t1391197500z1.png

"Seven Hours. Seven Hours is all I can spare to play with you"

tLiq4.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Ok here's my winter sale backlog. I kind of got a lot done in a month even excluding the 3DS and PS3 games I played.

Remember Me- This game is one of the purest examples of mediocrity in today's industry. It wants to have Batman's combat but not only is it much more simplistic with less options but it also has really janky animations and is not fluid at all. It wants to have Uncharted's "platforming" and it...well, succeeds in having brain dead linear climbing but it's even worse than Uncharted because there is an actual arrow pointing where you have to go at all times. It wants to have a typical cinematic story but like most AAA games it fails to deliver a good story and the "twist" is incredibly predictable (it was 1 of 2 scenarios I had in my head by the 60% mark of the game). I will say it had some nice ideas though. The memory remixing could have been great if it was a lot more open ended and relied on experimenting, but it's too linear and offers too little choice. The combo creater could have been amazing if every combo wasn't just a mix of X and Y. This game will be forgotten in a few months. 4/10

Walking Dead Season 2, Episode 1- First episode was kind of mediocre and relatively short (Steam clocked it at 1.7 hours and I had it idling for at least 10 minutes), but it had so many boring and drawn out parts that it felt like it went on twice as long. Honestly I'm finding that I don't really care about Clementine anymore and I would rather just see what happens to the group from 400 days now. 6/10 (for now)

Valdis Story- I did it again, I bought another indie game when I knew I shouldn't have. I deserve the chair for these repeated offenses.

Prototype 2- I went into this a little apprehensive because Eric Holmes had left the studio after the first game came out (which I liked) but thankfully it turned out well. This feels like what Saints Row 4 would be if it wasn't absolute garbage. It's not the deepest game ever but it does deliver an impressive amount of fun powers that work better on some enemies over others. It's also shorter than most open world action games but for once I find that refreshing, mostly because there's not that many collectibles in the game and the ones that are in there can be pinpointed on the map. I will say that the game could have used a couple more story/side activities to do, too often you have to infiltrate a base by consuming someone (usually a scientist or a soldier) and while it's a cool system it does get old doing it dozens of times. I think the main thing that stops this from becoming completely broken and not fun like SR4 is that they do a pretty good job with the upgrade systems. You have your generic XP bar but that only works with a small set of upgrades, the rest you have to either consume special enemies or gather a full set of collectibles in a district (an actual motivation beyond achievements/trophies to find collectibles). There's also several main abilities you don't get until you progress through the story, and it helps that they're all fun to use. Most of this stuff is unlocked at just the right time and helps keep things relatively fresh for the ~15 hours it lasts. It's a shame we'll likely never see a Prototype 3 because it's not one of Activision's 2 or 3 shovelware IPs they can whore out every year. 7.5/10

Sniper Elite V2- This is a game that should be all about sniping but they desperately try to convince you that you can do more. The game will repeatedly put you in scenarios where you're encouraged to be stealthy and use distraction objects + a silenced pistol to take enemies out before getting to a spot...but why do that when it's more fun to snipe them in the balls in slow motion x-ray vision? (Yes, you can really do that). In all seriousness there does seem to be some pretty solid stealth systems in the game and I'll be interested in seeing how good they really are on higher difficulties in future playthroughs. 6/10

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon- Like I predicted before this came out it ended up just being Far Cry 3 with jokes and cool references and 80s cliches. Unfortunately video games need more than jokes to be worthwhile, and having the same gameplay as FC3 means having the same garbage game design that plagues every Ubisoft game. 3/10

Call of Juarez Gunslinger- I don't really have much to say about this. It had decent shooting mechanics but the game was so basic that the ~5 hours it took me to finish the story felt like 12 since you're just gunning down a ridiculous amount of people from start to end. It wasn't horrible though, it deserves a 5/10

Gvaz

Banned
Ok here's my winter sale backlog. I kind of got a lot done in a month even excluding the 3DS and PS3 games I played.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon- Like I predicted before this came out it ended up just being Far Cry 3 with jokes and cool references and 80s cliches. Unfortunately video games need more than jokes to be worthwhile, and having the same gameplay as FC3 means having the same garbage game design that plagues every Ubisoft game. 3/10

FINALLY.

I haven't played FC3 but if BD is what I have to look forward to, then fuck that game.

Sendou

Prototype 2- I went into this a little apprehensive because Eric Holmes had left the studio after the first game came out (which I liked) but thankfully it turned out well. This feels like what Saints Row 4 would be if it wasn't absolute garbage. It's not the deepest game ever but it does deliver an impressive amount of fun powers that work better on some enemies over others. It's also shorter than most open world action games but for once I find that refreshing, mostly because there's not that many collectibles in the game and the ones that are in there can be pinpointed on the map. I will say that the game could have used a couple more story/side activities to do, too often you have to infiltrate a base by consuming someone (usually a scientist or a soldier) and while it's a cool system it does get old doing it dozens of times. I think the main thing that stops this from becoming completely broken and not fun like SR4 is that they do a pretty good job with the upgrade systems. You have your generic XP bar but that only works with a small set of upgrades, the rest you have to either consume special enemies or gather a full set of collectibles in a district (an actual motivation beyond achievements/trophies to find collectibles). There's also several main abilities you don't get until you progress through the story, and it helps that they're all fun to use. Most of this stuff is unlocked at just the right time and helps keep things relatively fresh for the ~15 hours it lasts. It's a shame we'll likely never see a Prototype 3 because it's not one of Activision's 2 or 3 shovelware IPs they can whore out every year. 7.5/10

Now I kind of want to play this. That second sentence though lol.

Nabs

Playing SRIV after Prototype 2 was a huge mistake. It felt like someone tried to recreate P2 in the SR engine and failed horribly.

FloatOn

Valdis Story- I did it again, I bought another indie game when I knew I shouldn't have. I deserve the chair for these repeated offenses.

I bought this during the winter sale and I haven't played it yet. What exactly was wrong with it?

Turfster

Today's SEGA deals on GMG include:
  • Hell Yeah 75% off
  • Renegade Ops 75% off
  • Company of Heroes 1 & 2 75% off
  • Dawn of War 75% off
  • Dawn of War II 75% off (GFWL)
  • Dawn of War II Retribution 75% off
  • Warhammer 40K Space Marine 75% off

I bought this during the winter sale and I haven't played it yet. What exactly was wrong with it?

It's Derrick. What's wrong with it is probably "it's an indie game"

There's no need to, it's one of the most thoroughly mediocre and forgettable games I've played in a while. It's one of the winter sale games I played when I was banned, maybe later I'll write up some impressions of the games I finished.

Welcome back. Maybe. :)

It is adequate.

60 fps, 1080p, but original textures

It always amazes me what PC gamers will consider good or bad ports. :lol
Note: this is just something your post reminded me of, not directly related to your comments.

Woorloog

Banned
Debating whether i should get Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or not. On one hand, it is cheap and i think i'd like it as i liked previous Splinter Cells. On the other hand, i've got other games to play and i'm not that interested in it right now.
Has it been this cheap in previous sales?

DukeBobby

Sniper Elite V2- This is a game that should be all about sniping but they desperately try to convince you that you can do more. The game will repeatedly put you in scenarios where you're encouraged to be stealthy and use distraction objects + a silenced pistol to take enemies out before getting to a spot...but why do that when it's more fun to snipe them in the balls in slow motion x-ray vision? (Yes, you can really do that). In all seriousness there does seem to be some pretty solid stealth systems in the game and I'll be interested in seeing how good they really are on higher difficulties in future playthroughs. 6/10

Solid stealth systems?

I honestly can't see how anyone could think that. The stealth is absolutely terrible; enemies spawn right before your eyes if you try and remain undetected.

yatesl

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Inversion -- MB-FBA849EF8D5000F4 - Taken by _hekk05

Region locked to USA, so I can't use it. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Playing SRIV after Prototype 2 was a huge mistake. It felt like someone tried to recreate P2 in the SR engine and failed horribly.

Judging from the impressions I've read over the past few months it seems the attempts to expand the concept into a full game weren't quite successful and it should have instead remained DLC, but having said that you can't exactly blame THQ for mandating that it be stretched into a full-priced title considering the company's dire situation at the time.

Region locked to USA, so I can't use it. :(

You could have used a VPN to activate it.

Derrick01

Banned
FINALLY.

I haven't played FC3 but if BD is what I have to look forward to, then fuck that game.

FC3 has almost all of the same faults but it's amplified by being 3 times longer than BD and it obviously has none of the jokes or anything BD was doing on purpose. If you didn't like BD then definitely stay far away from FC3.

Yeah then they tried to copy Crackdown by making a thousand orbs and just randomly throwing it around the city instead of doing what Crackdown did and placing them in well designed areas that sometimes needed some actual platforming to get to.

You probably don't want my commentary on indie games like this. These are just not made for me and one day I'll learn to stop buying them based on Gaf hype. I just can't get into the simple gameplay and (obviously) low production qualities.

DukeBobby said:
Solid stealth systems?

I honestly can't see how anyone could think that. The stealth is absolutely terrible; enemies spawn right before your eyes if you try and remain undetected.

That's just my initial impression. I played through the game very loud and very...violently so I don't really know much about its stealth :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Judging from the impressions I've read over the past few months it seems the attempts to expand the concept into a full game weren't quite successful and it should have instead remained DLC, but having said that you can't exactly blame THQ for mandating that it be stretched into a full-priced title considering the company's dire situation at the time.

I'd argue that it also helped to save the developers, as they had a product in an established franchise ready to go pretty quickly.

Imagine if they were only in the early stages of preproduction when THQ's assets got sold?

I liked Far Cry 3. World was pleasing to explore, taking over outposts was fun, gunplay was smooth/fun, hunting was fun, and I liked the premise, and the story was engaging the whole way through. It did have the monotonous "climb this huge tower to reveal map", but at least there weren't *too many* towers (only 18), plus the incentives to do so were good (unlocking new weapons). In AC, there's just an ungodly amount of cranes to synchronize.

If you like FPS, I highly recommend it. Can't wait to play Blood Dragon.

Evrain

You could have used a VPN to activate it.
That is actually a question I wanted to ask: which one do you think it's more reliable/safest? I don't want a) my Steam login details to end up God knows where and b) an itchy Steam Support member deactivating or worse permanently disabling my account...

Caerith

I thought it was pretty successful at being a full game, but I can see why some might not like it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd argue that it also helped to save the developers, as they had a product in an established franchise ready to go pretty quickly.

Imagine if they were only in the early stages of preproduction when THQ's assets got sold?

I'd wager at least one Volition employee looked at what happened to Vigil and thought, "That could have been us." ;)

Dr Dogg

I got the feeling from playing SR IV that Volition knew this could be the last time they had to work on a game together and tried to make the game they have always wanted to. It come across as massive fan service not to just the Saints Row franchise but has loads of call backs to Red Faction too. It's a mishmash of ideas that don't really work well together at times (losing your powers so often and the reasons for doing so were a pain in the arse).

I enjoyed it throughly but I do feel it would have been a lot better if it was just a straight up future themed super hero romp. When it was still clinging to the Saints Row of old is when I felt it got dragged down. Weapons are a bit 'meh' and powers are a bit fiddly in combat without breaking up the flow.

For me Prototype 1 & 2 don't have this problem as they are designed around it. I preferred 2 over 1 due to Heller being more grounded as a character and felt waaaay more fun to smash shit up with. Mercer just got weaker and weaker as the first game wore on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom