• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
It's fine, don't worry.
Thanks for that, just had me very worried for a while!

Anyway, I just had someone ask me if I wanted to play The Ship! Didn't realise it was on a daily deal, it's been sitting in my account for ages.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Is Steam down or is it just me?

I'm still on Steam, but my community features have just all went offline. Thankfully not just my end, then. Maybe it knew I was going to play a game online, the horror!

Copons

Ah damn you Steam, I want to upload those lame touristic screenshots I did during the last session of Sleeping Dogs!! :'(

statham

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Inversion -- MB-CC313CAF64D71DC1 - Taken by dk_

Tellaerin

And now for something completely different...

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition -- MB-C8346480EA6E3418

t1391214820z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Steam client doesn't work for me, but oddly the chat and messengering is still active.

So has anyone picked up Octodad yet? I can't buy anything at the moment and I know I want it,but I feel like I should torture myself by seeing how others are enjoying it single player or co-op wise.

oipic

Thanks for the feedback on Mr Payne, guys - I might tackle 1 and 2 first, to satisfy my chronology OCD or whatever it is, and pick up 3 during another sale. Enslaved it is, then - cheers.

Dr Dogg

LinusTechTips about In-home streaming:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIL71Q6eJ2Y

An hour and a half? Took me to 10 mins get 4k to 4k set up hahahaha.

xRf4d9q.png

Realistically though 4k to 4k is a bit crazy as you need decent hardware at both ends. I do love Linus vids though.

Thanks for the link, that is a really cool video!

Amazing that such high resolutions work right now, even though the Beta was just released.

Sadly it's not pleasant at all. Realistically you'd need 4 times the throughput of a 1080p stream to get a clear image and as such it's hard to push about 30Mbps, which in itself isn't perfect for some 1080p content. Though the fact it works (shitty frame rate aside) in a beta shows the potential that is there.

MRORANGE

xRf4d9q.png

Realistically though 4k to 4k is a bit crazy as you need decent hardware at both ends. I do love Linus vids though.

Sadly it's not pleasant at all. Realistically you'd need 4 times the throughput of a 1080p stream to get a clear image and as such it's hard to push about 30Mbps, which in itself isn't perfect for some 1080p content. Though the fact it works (shitty frame rate aside) in a beta shows the potential that is there.

Are you downsampling? Or do you have two 4k screens :O

EDIT: your running it in 21:9 :)

Dolor

xRf4d9q.png

I'm in the beta but haven't bothered to mess with it as my HTPC is pretty decent already. Really nice to know that this option looks completely viable if I want to go SteamOS next time though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They accidentally pushed out a patch that replaced english with french, so they had to patch it back.

But that patch wasn't 1gB, was it?

Edit: Just checked, yep. 1gB. This is funny. What a dumb mistake :p. Glad I didnt want to play it for the past few days then!

Dr Dogg

Are you downsampling? Or do you have two 4k screens :O

EDIT: your running it in 21:9 :)

Downsampeling sadly. The chances of me getting anything 4k until next year (unexpected bonus aside) as slim to none.

Hahaha I've tested 5120x2160 which is 21:9 and... ouch. It seams Valve has optimised Streaming for 1080/1200p so far, which is a cracking experience but if they can get it to a stage where it can access more of the bandwidth on the network and when the incorporate hardware encoding, having those combined I expect we'll see some amazing set ups.

I'm in the beta but haven't bothered to mess with it as my HTPC is pretty decent already. Really nice to know that this option looks completely viable if I want to go SteamOS next time though.

Couple of points to note with 4k. HDMI specs 1.4 or less can only handle 4k at 30hz (2.0 will change this) so at the moment only video cards with Display Port 1.2 will work with compatible drivers. Nvidia does have a good write up on their website about Windows but is a bit quiet regards to Mac, Linux and SteamOS.

AMD need to sort their Linux drivers out just for normal content as I was having serious problems using Linux with Streaming and an AMD APU.

Alien8

Is that new Football Management game on steam any good? FM takes too long and Lords of Football is pretty shitty would like some good middle ground

I've tried FX Eleven for a short period of time. If you can cope with not having oficial licenses (although there's a easy mod that fixes this) and being not as polished as FM, I think it's worth a try.

It's not nearly as complex as FM (I haven't tried Lords of football) and has a few glitches, but I think it is a solid alternative for those afraid of FM complexity (or those who don't have enough time to play it). On the other hand, if you're a hardcore FM fan, this game probably will be a little simple for your tastes.

Dolor

Nvida does have a good write up on their website about Windows but is a bit quiet regards to Mac, Linux and SteamOS.

AMD need to sort their Linux drivers out just for normal content as I was having serious problems using Linux with Streaming and an AMD APU.

Yeah, with their Linux, 4K, SLI and OpenGL support so much better, I think I am pretty solidly in the Nvidia camp (used to try to alternate) at this point. The only thing that makes me doubt it is that Star Swarm demo that's built for Mantle. An RTS using that engine could be majestic, but then again, I like having an excuse to upgrade, so I may still go Nvidia.

Grief.exe

Need some help guys, trying to drum up more media attention targeting PCgamer for now.

If you could retweet this, or send a Tweet out to these guys yourselves that would be great!

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/429372910982021120

25Fdfaa.png

Got an extensive amount of media coverage today from Eurogamer, Neoseekers, 4players, and more.

Come join in on the discussion in the thread, sign the petition, and retweet, or make your own, to spread the word.

Hit the 8,000 signatures mark.

PC Gamers Assemble!

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

Let's come together as a community and show Sega that the demand for Bayo, Vanquish, VF5, Valkyria Chronicles, and more is there.

Petition
GAF Thread
Retweet to spread the word

lebv9d2.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so hopefully the code works, there was a slight confusion with the codes initially

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Inversion -- MB-E2942C68BA9DB49C - Taken by Eanan

doesnt work in europe or asia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom