• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Wow. Now I'm hoping for Rise of Nations. And then Freelancer.

Okay now I'll go cry myself to sleep.

Don't do that, son! If they do confirm a Rise of Nations release I will be buying that game day 1 at full price. Not joking here.

It is my favorite RTS of all time!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It's simple.

There is a relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of gas. This is why compressed air is cold, for example. The simplest way to express this relationship is pv = nRT. Pressure times volume equals number of mols of gas times the gas constant times temperature in kelvins. The gas constant, R, is basically just a magic number to help with unit conversion and stuff.

For whatever reason that search triggered Google's "we think this is a mathematical equation" thing and sent the search string to their calculator.

Which returned:
Universal gas constant * USD 84.99
Thanks, that triggered some High School memories :p
The only weird thing is why would Google parse it that way, when it clearly recognizes the the part after the R as a monetary unit.

Age of Mythology coming to Steam

Jump to 43 minutes into the Stream http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires/c/3803109

GuGlCmA.jpg
oh sweet, I never played this one :x

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't do that, son! If they do confirm a Rise of Nations release I will be buying that game day 1 at full price. Not joking here.

tumblr_mkddv1lc9p1s28ozsze.gif

RoN is a little messy:

"Portions" of the game are owned by Microsoft so there are still some residual issues to sort out. Although Wikipedia says it uses a proprietary engine, I've theorised that BHG used AoE's as a base.
That ultimately depends on what the portions actually are. If they're related to the engine as I suspect then a remake would be possible without needing to reach an agreement with Microsoft.

There are actually two RoN Gold apps in the registry: 13900 and 33000. My guess is that one listing is Microsoft's and the other BHG's.

Basically, whoever bought the RoN IP from 38 Studios doesn't have the rights to distribute the original game since "portions" of it are owned by Microsoft, which lead me to my assumption that the purported "proprietary" engine used Ensemble's AoE engine as a base. The RoN IP is in capable hands, but, really, Microsoft needs to play ball for a re-release to happen.

Garcia

tumblr_mkddv1lc9p1s28ozsze.gif

Basically, whoever bought the RoN IP from 38 Studios doesn't have the rights to distribute the original games since "portions" of it are owned by Microsoft, which lead me to my assumption that the purported "proprietary" engine used Ensemble's AoE engine as a base. The RoN IP is in capable hands, but, really, Microsoft needs to play ball for a re-release to happen.

That's such a mess :-/ . . .
You do love making people cry. xP

We're only left with out hopes and dreams and no one can take those away!
*sad violin music*

Nzyme32

619ViLelyYL._SY300_.jpg

pls

I would definitely buy that.

As for the others, assuming halo 2 anniversary gets an announcement around e3, steam will probably hear about halo 1, whether that is a straight copy of the original PC version or the anniversary HD remix, we'll have to wait and see

but freelance... oh god freelancer!

troopershades

Neo Member

Same. I'm extremely butthurt that my friends and I have not been able to play multiplayer on the old original. Hopefully a re release would fix this.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
#dead

Seems like the perfect time to change that. AoM's campaigns are extremely entertaining; I used to play that game so much back in the early 00's.
Well, back in the early 00's I was too busy with AoE2 and D2
and Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue ;_;
, but it seems that a lot of people truly love it, so it's definitely on my "To Play" list :)

I always use the currency code "BRL" for Reais and USD or EUR for US Dollar and Euros.
Works every time, e.g. "12,99 brl in eur"
Again, I know, it was just funny how broken it looked :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let's be optimistic: the fact that Microsoft seems to be taking the time to implement Steamworks into Age of Mythology may suggest that implementing Steamworks into a GFWL game isn't out of the question.

I'm not sure even optimism covers that stretch. This is a guy at Hidden Path who is ex-Ensemble working to restore Ensemble games he worked on along with some support from other people at the company. That's a bit different than someone totally outside Rare getting access to VP and touching it up. :p

JaseC

I'm not sure even optimism covers that stretch. This is a guy at Hidden Path who is ex-Ensemble working to restore Ensemble games he worked on along with some support from other people at the company. That's a bit different than someone totally outside Rare getting access to VP and touching it up. :p

Admittedly, I'm being broad with my optimism. ;) Even assuming HPE is actively pursuing re-releases of AoE games, the success they enjoy is undoubtedly opening eyes at Microsoft to the idea of belated re-releases. I mean, obviously Viva Pinata lacks the cult acclaim of Age of Empires, but between Age 2 HD, and, well, everything, at this point there's no denying that Steam users will buy anything at the right price. You Need a Budget 4 flying up to the Top 10 when it was half off was as amusing as it was ironic. ;)

Edit: GameStop got back to me and said that the "charge" was just a precaution. I would have assumed as much myself if it weren't for the fact that I was charged twice. My. Support Person said the "charge" will drop off, but his lack of the plural form instils a sense of doubt that both charges will be refunded. Time will tell.

JaseC

Needs Age of Empires 1 and Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.

In the past I theorised that AoE 2 HD sprung to life before AoE HD because too many source assets for AoE were lost to time, ergo making a remaster impractical, and now, with Mythology on the cusp of a re-release, my fear is only compounded. :( I'd love to see AoE HD happen, but at this point I simply do not expect it at all.

header_292x136.jpg

Just finished Space Marine for some reason. I didn't really care for the game much at all. It threw way too many combat encounters down your throat, and I didn't think the combat was any fun to play. I was trying to run by most to it by the end of the game, to mixed results.

The only thing I'll probably remember about it is the INSANE rate at which the enemies shout "SPACE MARINE!" and related phrases. If you took the amount of times enemies in Splinter Cell Conviction would yell things about "FISHER!" and multiply that by 8, you have Space Marine. Apply that across a ridiculous amount of boring combat encounters and it'll make you lose your mind.

It's a shame because it could have been a much cooler game than it ended up being.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
(4) I notice Sony games seem to be conspicuously absent from your list. Not sure if it's because you were trying to be practical and take shots at MS games because they're more likely to be ported.

Nothing conspicuous about it at all. Most of the games I mentioned were multi-plat or 3rd party, I just personally played them on 360 because the PS3 was an incredibly poor choice in its early life. The Wii and portables are too architecturally and tech-base dissimilar such that it'd be pretty much impossible to do direct ports rather than remaking the games. Also the Wii, PSP, and DS, and the PS2 and everything before the PS2 can be emulated so I don't really see much urgency in securing PC ports or versions. So really the only thing I left out was PS3 exclusives. Sony isn't going to port any of their games (SOE already ports all of them, SCE won't port any of them). The PS3 had relatively few good third party exclusives, at least to my taste, so I didn't mention them.

But since you ask, I'd like to see:

Retail
3D Dot Game Heroes -- this would definitely get some traction on PC. User-customized content meets a Zelda game in the vein of the NES Zelda games. Developer is still solvent. Published by From in Japan, Atlus in NA.

Final Fantasy XIII (not exclusive, but substantially better on PS3 than 360) -- I guess I'd like to see it ported, but I didn't like the game. I've written about it many times, including here.

Kingdom Hearts HD Remix -- Yeah, sure, I'd like to see Kingdom Hearts on PC. Ultimately though as a port of PS2 game it can basically be played in a PS2 emulator (and the original game is dirt cheap and I already own it) so I don't really feel it's urgent.

Metal Gear Solid 4 -- I dunno, I don't really like Metal Gear Solid 4 from the hour or so I played of it. And it never got ported to 360. Probably more feasible to aim for a port of MGS5 instead. Konami has published games on PC, but Rising is a better fit and Platinum seem to be technically proficient devs in a way that Kojima's mainline team maybe aren't so much.

Ninokuni -- I haven't started this yet. I can't imagine it'd be a smash hit on PC. Namco has published games on PC before, but Level5 has never developed anything for PC have they?

Valkyria Chronicles -- Again, I don't expect it'd be a big hit. It's a neat game. Sega never even patched in trophies though, so I wouldn't expect they're eager to dig it up, and both future sequels were portable... The team that developed it also doesn't exist anymore, do they?

PSN
Okabu -- Although Sony technically published this, I don't think they own it. Maybe they do. If they do scratch it off. It's the company that made Rolando, and it's a really cute but kind of shallow kind of puzzle adventure exploration type game. Hard to describe or compare it to anything. It's really cute. I don't think it did well for HandCircus, who are apparently working on a mobile title right now. I don't expect it'd do super well on PC because of so much competition from cute independent games, might be a lot of noise.

Tales from Space: About A Blob -- The sequel, Mutant Blobs Attack, got a Steam release and seemed to do OK. I liked this. Maybe Sony owns this IP as I know they provided some funding for it.

The Unfinished Swan -- I think Sony technically owns this because the developer had to call in Sony Santa Monica for development assistance, but this was a great little game. It's a first person adventure, like a Portal or something. The main mechanic changes throughout the game, but the first segment involves the whole world being white and you being able to shoot blobs of black paint that splatter realistically. I won't spoil future segments, but the mechanics work the whole game through. It's a really sweet little story that reminded me, intentionally I think, of The Little Prince. I'm certain this would get an audience on PC, but again it's not clear they could port the game if they wanted to.

That's about it that I can think of, in part because I did most of my gaming on the 360 and all of my multiplatform gaming except FF13 on the 360 and enjoyed the 360 vastly more than the PS3 as a platform.

In the past I theorised that AoE 2 HD sprung to life before AoE HD because too many source assets for AoE were lost to time, ergo making a remaster impractical, and now, with Mythology on the cusp of a re-release, my fear is only compounded. :( I'd love to see AoE HD happen, but at this point I simply do not expect it at all.

It would be hard to imagine it releasing after AoE2 and AoM. However if they are only remastering Ensemble Studios games there's nothing else to do is there? Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds will be tied up with Disney so maybe they do something with AoE3?

It has definitely been a great time for PC though. Can't believe we are got things like Metal Gear Rising and are getting Killer is Dead and Age of Mythology remastered.

Sajjaja

header_292x136.jpg

Just finished Space Marine for some reason. I didn't really care for the game much at all. It threw way too many combat encounters down your throat, and I didn't think the combat was any fun to play. I was trying to run by most to it by the end of the game, to mixed results.

The only thing I'll probably remember about it is the INSANE rate at which the enemies shout "SPACE MARINE!" and related phrases. If you took the amount of times enemies in Splinter Cell Conviction would yell things about "FISHER!" and multiply that by 8, you have Space Marine. Apply that across a ridiculous amount of boring combat encounters and it'll make you lose your mind.

It's a shame because it could have been a much cooler game than it ended up being.

Yup. There is a lot of room for improvement and I would give a sequel a chance if it were to come out. Though I didn't mind the combat as much. When you get that Thunder Hammer.....HNNNNNG.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

$9.99, Early Access.

It's weird that they're doing a complete bundle rather than releasing Cold War standalone. Wonder if they'll delist the original Toy Soldiers SKU. But while Signal are at it, it'd be interesting to see them port their F2P pseudo-MMO Ascend from Xbox 360 to PC. It's a good-not-great third person action RPG. There were some neat ideas.

JaseC

It would be hard to imagine it releasing after AoE2 and AoM. However if they are only remastering Ensemble Studios games there's nothing else to do is there? Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds will be tied up with Disney so maybe they do something with AoE3?

It has definitely been a great time for PC though. Can't believe we are got things like Metal Gear Rising and are getting Killer is Dead and Age of Mythology remastered.

The issue is that if the source assets are unavailable then it falls on HPE to recreate them from scratch, which, despite AoE's age and primitive pre-rendered 2D assets, would be a monolithic task as content creation is by far the most time-consuming component of game development. AoE HD being greenlit would be tantamount to a full-blown remake rather than a remaster.

Levyne

Banned
I loved Galactic Battlegrounds. I still have the cd somewhere!

Loved just co-oping random maps with my brother. And the campaign had some interesting takes on the movie "battles". Too bad the expansion delves waaay to deep into the clone wars era of all eras, I guess everything star wars around that time was doing that, though.

I'd buy a hypothetical steam copy.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Namco has published games on PC before, but Level5 has never developed anything for PC have they?

Level-5 haven't yet, but a co-developed free to play PC entry in the Inazuma Eleven franchise was announced to be coming soon at the Level-5 Vision 2013 event.

INAZUMA ELEVEN ONLINE is an online soccer battle game that marks the first incarnation of the popular INAZUMA ELEVEN franchise on PC. The game will offer action-packed, energetic battles featuring controls that require only a mouse to use. Collect players for your team, scout rare players, and train your favorites to power them up into your very own ultimate eleven. Will your team be more defensive or offensive? It’s up to you to customize, strategize, and command your team as you take on the other brave souls that seek the championship title. With challenging battles and anime-quality special moves and action scenes, this online soccer battle can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike! LEVEL-5 is co-developing the game with NHN PlayArt and the title is scheduled to begin service in Japan in Winter 2013, on the NHN PlayArt operated internet portal site, Han Game.

Grief.exe

Kingdom Hearts HD Remix -- Yeah, sure, I'd like to see Kingdom Hearts on PC. Ultimately though as a port of PS2 game it can basically be played in a PS2 emulator (and the original game is dirt cheap and I already own it) so I don't really feel it's urgent.

I'm currently trying to track down the original Kingdom Hearts games for emulation and they are actually difficult to find. If I do find them in shops, they are ridiculously overpriced, about $20-$25 a pop.

They do look and run amazingly on PCSX2 though. I'm looking for FFX/XII as well and I run into a similar situation.

JaseC

It's weird that they're doing a complete bundle rather than releasing Cold War standalone. Wonder if they'll delist the original Toy Soldiers SKU. But while Signal are at it, it'd be interesting to see them port their F2P pseudo-MMO Ascend from Xbox 360 to PC. It's a good-not-great third person action RPG. There were some neat ideas.

I wondered the same thing and am in the process of buying a few spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom