• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC, what happened? You used to be so pretty...

I figured I'd go the sophisticated beauty route before diving into drugs and getting into limos while not wearing underwear. :p

which is better MW2 or MW4 ?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of modern Call of Duty in the slightest, including the oft-lauded Call of Duty 4. It's just not my cup of tea.

Can't wait to see JaseC in the movie of the year next week.

saoirse_ronan.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Noticed that 99 Levels to Hell got keys for Groupees and Bundle Stars purchases, but not at IndieGameStand.

I too noticed this. There's a few others in the same boat. Oniken's ongoing key redemption fiasco is one such example (Indie Royale still doesn't have keys, everyone else does). Very stupid having to spend time keeping track of all this dumb stuff.

Knurek

I too noticed this. There's a few others in the same boat. Oniken's ongoing key redemption fiasco is one such example (Indie Royale still doesn't have keys, everyone else does). Very stupid having to spend time keeping track of all this dumb stuff.

If this is of any help, you can go IGS->Desura->Steam key route for 99 Levels to Hell

Anteater

man I hate that stupid undodgeable attack from the big skeletons in guacamelee, always caught me off guard

My favorite Tales game is Tales of Legendia, but that's apparently a really unpopular opinion. :(

ToS is cute if a little juvenile. Still really fun though! It was my first.

I've only bought vesperia and symphonia, didn't have the chance to play the other games :(

Levyne

Banned
Popular opinion, but my favorite tales is probably Vesperia. It seems to have the most adult cast and lead, and doesn't really have any big glaring deficiency, even if it doesn't re-invent the wheel for gameplay or progression.

On a steam note, been putting a fair bit of time into new Castlevania. My short impression is that reviewers were not wrong, but I still think the game is a lot of fun. I won't put a number on it, but the gameplay is a little better, everything else a little bit worse, with some stupid decisions on stealth and the ending. I legitimately think LoS1 is a good game. This one I'm more hesitant to say that. I'll burp out a steam review once I try out some of the challenges and higher difficulty.

yuraya

hmmm again an EA game on steam sale. How long before Origin folds and Gaben conquers?

Also I'll take brunette Saoirse over a blonde Saoirse any day of the week ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If this is of any help, you can go IGS->Desura->Steam key route for 99 Levels to Hell

Heh, there was no need, I had it in I think at least 2 bundles in addition to IGS so it worked out OK in the end. Thanks for the tip though. I've seen a few games where that has worked.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Preloading South Park, it's only 4.2GB

feelsgoodman.jpg

JaseC

I seriously don't think I could see a movie with her in it without feeling a little creeped out. It's as if JaceC is my window into an uncomfortable obsession.

That word rubs me the wrong way, but there's no need for me to get into this again so I'll leave it alone. ;)

Preloading South Park, it's only 4.2GB

feelsgoodman.jpg

The game's only ~6GB installed, too. Nice and small.

Will buy for 30 eventually.

If you were quick enough you could have bought it for $20!

Edit: Well, I say "quick enough", but the loophole was open for ~2.5 weeks.

bro1

Banned
Two questions. How does Steam family share work? If my sister wants to use steam and she lives 1000 miles away, can she use my account as long as we don't play the same game?

Also, has steam been slow to authenticate for you lately?

JaseC

Two questions. How does Steam family share work? If my sister wants to use steam and she lives 1000 miles away, can she use my account as long as we don't play the same game?

Basically, you sign into your account on her PC, authorise the system itself, and then authorise her actual Steam account (which is automatically detected). Concurrent game access is not permitted and so she'll be unable to play something while you're in-game and if you jump into a game while she's playing something then she'll be booted out after a few minutes' warning. Also, some games are excluded from Family Sharing, such as those with third-party account systems (Uplay games, GFWL games, and so on).

For quite a while it was possible to circumvent the lack of concurrent game access by having the secondary user/s switch to Offline Mode, however Valve recently plugged this loophole -- Family Sharing is now disabled when Steam is in Offline Mode.

No slower than usual.

louiedog

Your account has to be signed in on her machine to give access. After that, barring any issues that break authentication, your account isn't needed anymore.

Your sister can play your games as long as you aren't playing anything from your library. Only one person can access a single library at any one time. You can play her games at the same time she plays one of yours, but you can't be both playing one of your games at the same time. Or you can play a game from your friend's library at the same time she plays a game from yours.

If you're playing a game from your library it won't let her launch a game. If she's playing a game from your library you can launch a game and she'll get a warning message and a few minutes to save her game before it forcefully ends it on her end.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I can't even load cdn.steampowered.com anymore, avatars and stuff don't show up if the page even loads at all. Don't even know who to shake a stick at to get it fixed.

JaseC

I can't even load cdn.steampowered.com anymore, avatars and stuff don't show up if the page even loads at all. Don't even know who to shake a stick at to get it fixed.

I have two pending trade offers than I can't accept. :( One of three things happens:

- Steam claims there was an error accepting the offer
- The items don't load when viewing the offers
- The trade offer page doesn't load at all

Any impressions of Real World Racing? Had a quick search for an |OT| but didn't see one, and tempted by the 2x copies for $6 at IndieGala.

JaseC

Speaking of Real World Racing, does anybody want to split the Indie Gala offering ($3 each)?

Edit: Sorted.

zeroOman

damn it's out,,,, I thought it still in beta

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have two pending trade offers than I can't accept. :( One of three things happens:

- Steam claims there was an error accepting the offer
- The items don't load when viewing the offers
- The trade offer page doesn't load at all

The real definition of madness - when Steam no longer wants you to use it.

iKslpWucKgPwo.jpg

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Will buy for 30 eventually.
I bought it for $22 :p

The game's only ~6GB installed, too. Nice and small.
Oh, that's nice!
I suppose the game's style helped with that.

If you were quick enough you could have bought it for $20!

Edit: Well, I say "quick enough", but the loophole was open for ~2.5 weeks.
Yep, just a day or two after I got it the damn region locking started :(

JaseC

Oh, that's nice!
I suppose the game's style helped with that.

Yeah, definitely. Considering also the game's system requirements I might play it at my mate's place using his laptop that'll be hooked up the the PC. He'd like to build a gaming PC soon and so it'd be a good opportunity for him to familiarise himself with Big Picture Mode.

Yep, just a day or two after I got it the damn region locking started :(

Ah, that's unfortunate. I helped a mate buy a copy just a day or two before Ubi finally added the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags, so he was lucky.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guess GMG will only give out South Park keys next tuesday

Shade

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Roogoo -- MB-5490E35C328D290A - Taken by Garcia. 13 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-05B708BA0F222E60 - Taken by Alessandro. 8 entrants total.
Kung Fu -- MB-B0450C8B15EE4D96 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 10 entrants total.
Rush Bros -- MB-342B6F33E1B89DE9 - Taken by Waku. 4 entrants total.
Legendary -- MB-B5F095C34380E266 - Taken by Saty. 10 entrants total.
Insecticide -- MB-4982489CA2B18444 - Taken by Sub Zero. 8 entrants total.
Cargo Commander -- MB-6618C599D92AEE93 - Taken by Kuroyume. 15 entrants total.

t1393714889z1.png

natertots

Can anyone give any advice on the following games? I have an extra 20 in my wallet and wanted to spend it today.

I'm looking at:

RE4 HD
Don't Starve
Strider
Project Zomboid

or

I could get Terraria and something else for 10 bucks.

Thanks in advance!

JaseC

I, uh, didn't realise I already owned it:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Real World Racing -- MB-2C8807E842B90782 - Taken by Intheflorsh

Oops.

Can anyone give any advice on the following games? I have an extra 20 in my wallet and wanted to spend it today.

I'm looking at:

RE4 HD
Don't Starve
Strider
Project Zomboid

or

Thanks in advance!

I vote RE4. I've never played it myself but the game is beloved by many and supporting belated PC ports* is only a good thing.

* Let's just ignore the existence of the original PC port. ;)

I, uh, didn't realise I already owned it:

Oops.

I bet you have that problem frequently. Thanks!

I'm looking at:

RE4 HD
Don't Starve
Strider
Project Zomboid

or

Thanks in advance!

If you own Shadowrun Returns and enjoyed it, definitely give Dragonfall a shot.

I've been decimating my backlog these last few days.

Strider
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea
The Swapper
Alan Wake: American Nightmare

"Luckily" I have so many half-finished games.

X05

Yeah, definitely. Considering also the game's system requirements I might play it at my mate's place using his laptop that'll be hooked up the the PC. He'd like to build a gaming PC soon and so it'd be a good opportunity for him to familiarise himself with Big Picture Mode.
But is he going to build a proper gaming machine? a Steambox? HTPC with some gaming capability?

Ah, that's unfortunate. I helped a mate buy a copy just a day or two before Ubi finally added the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags, so he was lucky.
Well, I did get it in the nick of time so there was no problem there, even though I was *this* close to not redeem it so I could gift it to a friend later... Luckily I did, but then couldn't get another one so he'll have to wait :p
My ":(" was just because region locking sucks and pisses me off.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, apparently there is a new phishing method out there and you should all know about it just in case. Got it from Reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/lowendgaming/comments/1yx74h/heads_up_to_all_steam_users_nasty_scam/

This is another user who has been scammed. Just watch out for this kind of thing.

I was added by two compromised accounts today that messaged me this: packyak: Hi. My friend want to trade with you. http://Steam phishing domain/id/AlvinZ/ Add him. Now phishing sites asking for your username and password are run-of-the-mill. Even the ones asking for a Steam Guard code have been more common lately. What I have never seen before is a phishing site asking you to upload your ssfn* file. Let me quote AndyM77 about its purpose: Hardware changes should not cause the 'SafeGuard' to kick in again. On an authenticated computer you'll find a file(s) starting with 'ssfn' and then random characters after it, this is the authentication key. On computers that haven't run Steam before this key will obviously be missing, and therefore bring up the 'Safeguard' code box and subsequent email from Valve.

So, that file would probably mark your computer as safe and authenticated and ready to trade - no matter if you have it or an attacker. Combine that with a botnet drone near you used as a proxy server for an attacker to log in which I have seen when phishing sites just asked for a Steam Guard code and whatever safety measures Valve have added lately, you might have to kiss your inventory goodbye.

Beware guys. Trade safe.

JaseC

But is he going to build a proper gaming machine? a Steambox? HTPC with some gaming capability?

Yeah, he's going to spend around $2k (he doesn't own a PC at all, so the budget will include a monitor and a kb&m). Depending on when exactly he'll go ahead with the plan I may advise him to wait for the higher-end Maxwell cards.

Well, I did get it in the nick of time so there was no problem there, even though I was *this* close to not redeem it so I could gift it to a friend later... Luckily I did, but then couldn't get another one so he'll have to wait :p
My ":(" was just because region locking sucks and pisses me off.

Ah, sorry, I misread your post earlier, haha.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

The ending of the trilogy of the Lords of Shadow saga improves everything that is gameplay but sometimes suffers in erratic level design and poor story. The gameplay is easily better than LoS1 and the World navigation works great for being all interconected.

The problem with the world is that the modern world sections have monotone/repetitive design while the Castle areas are varied. The enemies on the modern day section are generic for most of the part and do not fit the theme of the game and in some cases feel annoying and poorly thought out (Yes talking about the mutants with shotguns and bombs). The narrative of the game doesn't feel connected at all unlike LoS1 and MoF. Sometimes the main story feels like sidequest with some of the things you must do and then takes a deep nosedive on the last quarter of the game.

As for the positive the combat its meatier and feels more responsive than the previous games. The camera didn't get in the way as much as it was implied by the press reviews. The world on the Castle area was amazing and the boss fight were all memorable thing I can't say about the first one in terms of the boss mechanics and no titan boss fights like the first game make it all better.

Let us talk about the infamous "stealth" moments of the game. IMO they don't feel that important in term of narrative but the execution isn't hard and frustrating as it has been mentioned on reviews. It breaks up the combat to do something different which I would have liked better puzzles instead of the stealth puzzles. (It's goddamn Dracula and he was powerful enough for most of the stealth areas.

Overall if you don't mind much the problems with the narrative and the monotony of the design of the modern world Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 manages to be a great game and worthy of the Castlevania series as this game manages to get the ideas of the Metroidvania and made it work on a 3D world almost perfectly. In the end it was a fun ride with some flaws on the way. I wished the plot was better but it is what it is.

8/10
You can see my LoS2 Gallery if you want (It has spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom