• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

catabarez

Some of Sega's MegaDrive games are linked to store.steamgames.com rather than store.steampowered.com. It's why they're not flagged as owned in search results.

I figured it may have been something like that, but I went to Deadly Premonition page again and it looked like a normal url this time.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw is it just me or xenoblade has lower res characters than xenosaga?

like I know I'm really old to the whole wii thing but it's pretty striking lol

Grief.exe

So is Nazi Zombie Army 1 & 2 worth getting? Or wait for PS4 Xbone release?

Never really heard that question before if you have a gaming PC.

Its so strange, it seems like a lot of PS2 models were extremely detailed.

pcsx2-r58752014-02-23kkawt.png

dani_dc

I'm assuming that's due to scale, Xenoblade is an open world game as opposed to Xenosaga.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah, but well, ff12 is like sh3, some games are just amazing. xenosaga wasn't anything too cray even tho it looked really good

like not the fairest of comparisons but

xenoblade:

xeno 3:

also copy pasta my thoughts on xenosaga series from steam:
final thoughts on the xenosaga series:
* the scale and ambition of the plot is really unique among games. awesome characters, awesome meta-philosophical nonsense, awesome presentation. xenosaga will stick in my head for a long while
* some characters work better than others. jr and kos-mos, great! ziggy is such a bro, and chaos when he gets deep and mysterious is pretty cool. allen is the best! the biggest problem are the uzuki brothers. I can't imagine anyone ever inviting shion to a party, man that girl can whine about everything and anything. jin isn't much better, but I guess the doc citan inspired coat in xeno 3 won me over. the huge cast of secondary characters is very good too, like albedo, virgil, miyuki, etc.
* i missed the xenogears combo thing about combat in xeno 3, and I feel like xeno 1 was the best of the series as far as mechanics are concerned. they never really made mechas too much fun tho.
* music's a big disappointment in the series, even tho there are a couple good tunes, it's not near close to xenogears
* not sure about the cutscene to gameplay ratio. like this is the metal gear of rpgs. I enjoyed it, but man it was a big barrier of entry

overall it's just an impressive effort to do scale like prettty much no game out there. for the most part it works, threading a lot of complicated themes and broken characters into a thoroughly entertainingly confusing ride.

makes me very sad that there won't be a xeno 4 and we'll never get full closure for these characters but at least what we got was fun and sweet

onto xenoblade!

Tellaerin

Never really heard that question before if you have a gaming PC.

If memory serves, the PS2 was designed to push polys over textures. I think Sony envisioned a future where we'd model everything in raw geometry someday, rather than focusing on tex + bumpmaps.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
yeah, but well, ff12 is like sh3, some games are just amazing. xenosaga wasn't anything too cray even tho it looked really good

like not the fairest of comparisons but

xenoblade:

xeno 3:

also copy pasta my thoughts on xenosaga series from steam:

screamsinternallyguk7e.jpg

Terra_Ex

Tales of the Abyss is probably still my favorite Tales game, though I suspect I'm sadly alone in that. :s

No, I don't think you are.
JadeC was a lovely character, and the UNDUB version with fully voiced skits... Pure sex.
You're far from alone. Abyss has long been my favourite as well, plenty of people are vocal on GAF about disliking Luke's early asshole behaviour but for me it was a breath of fresh air amidst the holier-than-thou jrpgs heroes I'd suffered through for years. Great game, fantastic cast and some really great skits (sadly unvoiced in english) Having Jade along to mock Luke for most of the game never got old.

And Xeno3 had some pretty nice character models for its time, definitely my preferred look out of the trilogy.

zkylon

zkylewd
I believe there is an HD texture pack available for Dolphin.
yea I'm just commenting out of curiosity rather than annoyance or anything like that. like the game's still very pretty and expressive which is all I care about. like resolution is something that matters really little to me once you get over the general usefulness so I'd rather just keep my framerate stable

I'm assuming that's due to scale, Xenoblade is an open world game as opposed to Xenosaga.
yup, probably

he's thinking "the saboteur... someday"

If memory serves, the PS2 was designed to push polys over textures. I think Sony envisioned a future where we'd model everything in raw geometry someday, rather than focusing on tex + bumpmaps.
interesting

I would've been fine if graphical fidelity didn't progress from ps2 era and all the technological prowess was focused on mechanics

too bad we got the other way around

JaseC

Why would EA allow that game on Steam then? They stopped ever since Origin.

That listing is a million years old. I do expect EA to return to Steam eventually, though, at least to some extent.

Edit: To clarify, the game wasn't available and later pulled a la Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2: EA just stopped short of putting it up on the store at all.

zkylon

zkylewd

catabarez

This is annoying. I have deleted every file relating to display and verified the game and still nothing. It worked for me when I first got it.

JaseC

I keep rubbing it against my monitor and nothing happens!!!

:<

I tried to put the manual containing the key in my disc drive but I think I broke something.

I have The Saboteur one origin, unplayed, if it shows up on steam I might actually play it!

The Saboteur is the one and only EA game I actually want to play. I already have it on Origin, but I'm holding out for a Steam release before giving it a whirl.

zkylon

zkylewd
the saboteur is actually pretty decent. I get the feeling it won't have aged to well but I really enjoyed it back then

I tried to put the manual containing the key in my disc drive but I think I broke something.
an origami swan popped up when I opened it!

Dec

I keep rubbing it against my monitor and nothing happens!!!

:<

Reminds me that the Drakensang collection is LIES.

It clearly has the Steamworks logo on the back, and the fine print says "You must activate this product via the internet by registering for a Steam account and accepting the SSA." but inside there are just two discs.

I saw it in a liquidation store and bought it for Steamworks, but even though it's not it was still a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OGYVKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I paid $5

iFYh2upQAmEhw.jpg

JaseC

It opens like it is going to start, then a get a black screen for a second, then it brings me back to the desktop.

Are you forcing vsync/triple-buffering via D3D Overrider? While this initially worked just fine a patch broke it.

It clearly has the Steamworks logo on the back, and the fine print says "You must activate this product via the internet by registering for a Steam account and accepting the SSA." but inside there are just two discs.

I saw it in a liquidation store and bought it for Steamworks, but even though it's not it was still a great deal.

I paid $5

iFYh2upQAmEhw.jpg

If you hit up Valve, providing proof of purchase and photos of the packaging, you may be able to get the games added to your account manually.

zkylon

zkylewd

I paid $5

iFYh2upQAmEhw.jpg
wow lol

I bet the retailer just sold the key separately or something

okayfrog

Banned
Cortex Command has the worst tutorial ever, or the best, I can't tell. Either way, it doesn't make me want to play the game at all.

Dec

I'm thinking at one time it was going to be a Steamworks release and didn't end up being one after the packaging was printed. There is a thread on the Amazon page and I believe on the Steam forums for the games, all the copies of this collection have the Steamworks warning and logo but none actually contain keys.

Valve might actually add them to my account if I ask but I don't think it's a case of a retailer snatching the keys.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you hit up Valve, providing proof of purchase and photos of the packaging, you may be able to get the games added to your account manually.

I'll offer the counter point - I had the same situation with Top Gun. The packaging had a bunch of Steam logos and such, but inside the place where the CD key went was blank.

I tried contacting Valve and even provided a photo of where it said "Enter this Game Activation Key into Steam..." (blank)

After going back and forth with them for a few weeks, I still don't have Top Gun on Steam.

catabarez

Are you forcing vsync/triple-buffering via D3D Overrider? While this initially worked just fine a patch broke it.

I was using the Nvidia Control Panel and I tried turning those off but still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom