• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

The ending of the trilogy of the Lords of Shadow saga improves everything that is gameplay but sometimes suffers in erratic level design and poor story. The gameplay is easily better than LoS1 and the World navigation works great for being all interconected.

8/10
You can see my LoS2 Gallery if you want (It has spoilers)

Without spoilers, is the ending to the game as mind-fuckingly awesome as that of the first LoS? Enjoyed that game despite its length, but the ending was incredible and made drop my controller and yell "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!" at the TV (in a good way!).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Without spoilers, is the ending to the game as mind-fuckingly awesome as that of the first LoS? Enjoyed that game despite its length, but the ending was incredible and made drop my controller and yell "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!" at the TV (in a good way!).

Mediocre ending sadly.

The writing was never good in this game and on the last quarter of the game the whole thing goes full stupid.

Arthea

I want my ref, Valve! :(

I want my everything Valve!
I don't feel like complaining or pestering them, because I still can play games, but they really need to do something about their euroservers or client, nothing works as it should.
There is still good to be found in this situation, steam annoys me so much that I'm thinking about dusting off my PS3 and finishing some games there, what I need to do also (><)

Oreoleo

I'm thinking of buying Metro: Last Light. Is the season pass worth grabbing?

No most of the DLC is pretty forgettable with the exception of the Faction Pack with the Library level. The base game is great though, one of my GOTY 2013.

Also the DLC goes on sale cheap and often enough that you can piece it all together after the fact if you beat the game but still want more Metro goodness.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Your ISP. Switch to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8) for now and it'll be fixed.

I'd recommend sticking with Google's DNS servers, if only to avoid the issue occurring again in the future. I can't even remember the last time I used my ISP's own.

JaseC

What happens if I use Googles DNS server?

You won't notice anything different unless you're experiencing a DNS-related issue with your ISP. There's zero harm in making the change. Google's guide focuses on changing OS-level settings, but I'd recommend doing it at the hardware level (i.e. set the DNS servers in your router).

Garcia

My favorite Tales game is Tales of Legendia, but that's apparently a really unpopular opinion. :(

ToS is cute if a little juvenile. Still really fun though! It was my first.

I don't consider Legendia to be my favorite but I honestly enjoyed that game quite a lot, so no, you're not alone. Most people apparently consider it the worst in the series when I actually felt Symphonia is by far the most forgettable Tales of I've played to this day.

Xillia is getting close to stealing that trophy.

louiedog

I'd recommend sticking with Google's DNS servers, if only to avoid the issue occurring again in the future. I can't even remember the last time I used my ISP's own.

I switched to Google's DNS servers after my last ISP started having an hour a week or more of downtime with their own. That was a few years ago and I haven't had an issue once with Google's. I also recommend this.

Levyne

Banned

It's effectively a non-ending, if that makes sense...

nampad

Just saw that I have a new Steam coupon in my inventory, now I own Broken Age ;)
Wanted to buy it anyway and nearly pulled the trigger on the Humble store days ago. Hope I'll play it before it goes on sale for more than 25%.

Dr Dogg

What happens if I use Googles DNS server?

Well if your ISP is anything like mine when you switch you probably find there will be far less look up issues. A good rule of thumb if you're having connection issues with mp servers is to try switching your DNS settings.

Guys, the gameplay in RE4 is so damn solid.

A timeless vintage of game design I'd say. They sure don't make em like this any more. It's moved up to #'13 in my most played games on Steam already and I haven't unlocked Separate Ways or Mercenaries yet.

Coreda

Did you check the folder where they kept the uncompressed copy? It should have the png copies of your screenshot there. You can see/set the folder yourself in the steam settings.

Edit: welp, clearly wasn't paying attention. I must have expected the Steam UI to open my uncompressed directory, rather than it's own. Found my uncompressed pngs, yay.

Would be better if Steam displayed the pngs in it's UI.

oipic

Well if you ISP is anything like mine when you switch you probably find there will be far less look up issues. A good rule of thumb if you're having connection issues with mp servers is to try switching your DNS settings.

Google's DNS also typically updates/refreshes more often than those of most ISPs, so you're less likely to run into issues if/when sites and services switch IPs for whatever reason. Thanks also to Google for providing IT guys everywhere with the simplest IP address to memorise and ping to test connectivity - bless you.

I figured I'd go the sophisticated beauty route before diving into drugs and getting into limos while not wearing underwear. :p

Such a pretty avatar, Jase. Do you know if Saoirse is attending the Oscars tomorrow?

JaseC

Such a pretty avatar, Jase.

<3

Do you know if Saoirse is attending the Oscars tomorrow?

I jumped on Tumblr earlier and some people had posted pics of her arriving at LAX, so I think she is. It'll be the first time she's attended the Oscars since being nominated for her role in Atonement, as far as I'm aware.

Almighty

Keyboard aiming wasn't that bad, a bit of patience and you are on headshot spree.

I will take your word for it as I have only played the Ps2 version for length of time until this recent version. All my years as a PC gamers means i suck ass with the analog sticks. I think I was averaging about 63 percent accuracy on the Ps2 compared to 88 on the PC.

Grief.exe

A timeless vintage of game design I'd say. They sure don't make em like this any more. It's moved up to #'13 in my most played games on Steam already and I haven't unlocked Separate Ways or Mercenaries yet.

They really don't make them like this anymore. The depth to the mechanics, the way progression is handled, the puzzles, the aloof nature in which gameplay is presented (no hints as to how you are supposed to go about things optimally), etc.

Likely won't ever see a AAA game like it again.

I'm enjoying the shit out of it. It's nice to have mouse aiming as now I can actually hit stuff.

I am enjoying myself immensely. I think I'm going to 100% this game.

Your first time playing it? I played my flatmate's PS2 version and fell in love pretty quickly.

I played it on the PS2 when it was originally released.

Its funny how vividly some parts of that game stick out in my mind, but it almost feels like I'm playing a new game.

Keyboard aiming wasn't that bad, a bit of patience and you are on headshot spree.

Stockholm Syndrome

I will take your word for it as I have only played the Ps2 version for length of time until this recent version. All my years as a PC gamers means i suck ass with the analog sticks. I think I was averaging about 63 percent accuracy on the Ps2 compared to 88 on the PC.

My overall accuracy is like 90-95% lol.

JaseC

Hmm, I just noticed that a handful of other Bohemia titles are also 90% off. I may pick up a few spares of the Take on Helicopters Bundle -- just a few, though. Certainly not 15. ;)

Almighty

I am enjoying myself immensely. I think I'm going to 100% this game.

I would try that but Shadowrun and South Park will be calling my name. Though I might return when I am done with them.

My overall accuracy is like 90-95% lol.

Yeah I get 95 is some sections in others low 80s. It'a probably because I panic in large groups and miss more often. Still I have only played maybe 4 or 5 hours on the PS2 so this is pretty much my first time playing this game. Farthest I made it before was barely getting to the castle.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I've only bought vesperia and symphonia, didn't have the chance to play the other games :(
D'aww. Well don't worry, Vesperia and Symphonia are plenty good (although I haven't played Vesperia yet unfortunately)

I don't consider Legendia to be my favorite but I honestly enjoyed that game quite a lot, so no, you're not alone. Most people apparently consider it the worst in the series when I actually felt Symphonia is by far the most forgettable Tales of I've played to this day.

Xillia is getting close to stealing that trophy.
Good to hear you enjoyed it too. :') Yeah, Symphonia in retrospect isn't that great. Although the battle system is fun, the plot is kind of... stupid? If it wasn't my first Tales game, I probably wouldn't remember much about it either. I enjoyed Destiny and Phantasia over it, even though those battle systems are much worse.

Dr Dogg

They really don't make them like this anymore. The depth to the mechanics, the way progression is handled, the puzzles, the aloof nature in which gameplay is presented (no hints as to how you are supposed to go about things optimally), etc.

Likely won't ever see a AAA game like it again.

Funnily there are quite a few hints as you go but they way they're handled by being blended in with the environment, text files you collect or how enemy's react. The church treasure puzzle for example is pretty much spelled out for you on the tombstones as you approach the church but not made glaringly obvious that its a puzzle solution.

I'm actually looking forward to The Evil Within now just to see if Mikami will be on top form (as always).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yeah, he's going to spend around $2k (he doesn't own a PC at all, so the budget will include a monitor and a kb&m). Depending on when exactly he'll go ahead with the plan I may advise him to wait for the higher-end Maxwell cards.

Ah, sorry, I misread your post earlier, haha.
Nice, make him all the way to the 120/144Hz gloriousness.
Is there a date (or rumour of one) for the release of the high-end Maxwell? I know the first card was just released, but it's a 28nm part rather than 20nm.

And don't worry, it was worded a bit weird :p

JaseC

Nice, make him all the way to the 120/144Hz gloriousness.
Is there a date (or rumour of one) for the release of the high-end Maxwell? I know the first card was just released, but it's a 28nm part rather than 20nm.

And don't worry, it was worded a bit weird :p

Nah, nothing but speculation for the time being. The common assumption is Q3/Q4, depending on yields.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I mean my main gripe was it was a bit too MMOish. It's the same reason FFXII always put me off too. Which is hilarious because I've sunk years of my life into real MMO's. I still did really like Xenoblade though. My tip is to not go crazy with the side quests. I got burned out on the game thanks to doing every side quest I could come across and had to come back later.
yea I heard that which seems like good advice

I'm not too obsessive about that crap so it won't be hard but it seems to be a lot faster than ff12 (what with the fast travel and auto-complete thing on quests and crap), and I really liked ff12 tbh, story notwithstanding.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Looks like someone took the best part of Shenmue and made a full game out of it!

Hmm, I just noticed that a handful of other Bohemia titles are also 90% off. I may pick up a few spares of the Take on Helicopters Bundle -- just a few, though. Certainly not 15. ;)
Damn, just saw this post, now I just hit a shopping spree:
steamcartyqucc.png

Nah, nothing but speculation for the time being. The common assumption is Q3/Q4.
Ah, so the usual refresh date then.

For a moment I thought my Logitech G9 was ready to be retired. The mousehweel was acting funny but luckily it was just some dust that got in there. This badboy has been with me for over 4 years already :')

Darkroronoa

Buying operation phoenix pass for CS:GO is a really profitable purchace.Got it for 2 euros and sold 1st box (the operation phoenix case)for 3 euros profit and got my second drop now and sold it for 1.73 euros profit.
Got maps and 2.73 extra :eek:

catabarez

I was just browsing some Steam games and when I clicked on Deadly Premonition it sent me to a link that said store.akami.steampowered. Any ideas what that is?

Grief.exe

Funnily there are quite a few hints as you go but they way they're handled by being blended in with the environment, text files you collect or how enemy's react. The church treasure puzzle for example is pretty much spelled out for you on the tombstones as you approach the church but not made glaringly obvious that its a puzzle solution.

I'm actually looking forward to The Evil Within now just to see if Mikami will be on top form (as always).

Zenimax/Bethesda though...Such a garbage company to get in bed with.

Is there any hope for a Steam release of RE 1-3?

There is always hope.

Actually, going by Sven's comments a couple years ago, we were closer to getting RE1-3 on Steam/GOG than RE4.

JaseC

I was just browsing some Steam games and when I clicked on Deadly Premonition it sent me to a link that said store.akami.steampowered. Any ideas what that is?

Akamai is a content distribution network. I've never seen an Akamai-related link on Steam, though.

Rush rush get the yayo!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rush Bros -- MB-52320D073B493820 - Taken by Cth. 5 entrants total.

t1393716375z1.png

catabarez

Akamai is a content distribution network. I've never seen an Akamai-related link on Steam, though.

It was the weirdest thing. I clicked on the link and it asked for an age check for Deadly Premonition and my account wasn't logged in. Then I hit back and everything was back to normal.

JaseC

It was the weirdest thing. I clicked on the link and it asked for an age check for Deadly Premonition and my account wasn't logged in. Then I hit back and everything was back to normal.

Some of Sega's MegaDrive games are linked to store.steamgames.com rather than store.steampowered.com. It's why they're not flagged as owned in search results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom