• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

I should also mention the games install and work perfectly fine, DRM free, and I would have still purchased it if the logo wasn't there, but it's still an interesting case.

Terra_Ex

I was using the Nvidia Control Panel and I tried turning those off but still nothing.
It's a long shot but when this happened to me with infinite, it was because I'd made some tweaks to the ini files in "My Docs/my games/Bioshock infinite" which worked in the initial release but a few patches down the line stopped it from launching. Maybe try deleting the Bioshock Infinite directory from "my docs/my games" (if it exists), to force the game to recreate valid config files.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just beat Thomas Was Alone (yeah, I'm a little behind the times here). It's a nice little experience, although I'm surprised that it's quite so acclaimed as it is. It's a very light puzzle platformer. You play as a series of squares or rectangles, each of which has a different colour, a different size, different jumping heights, and some have bonus abilities like double jumping or floating in water. You traverse levels by switching between characters and stacking them up to use their abilities appropriately to get through the levels. When you get to the end, each square has a box they need to be in to go to the next level. There are 100 levels. The pacing is good, there's always new stuff, levels only take a minute or a minute and a half. None of the levels really have any challenge, it's generally immediately apparent what you have to do and there's only really one mechanic that actually presents any challenge in executing what you need to do
one block type has reverse gravity and you have to sort of lasso a falling block on top of a falling upward block so they sort of meet in the middle and float off each other
. Some levels have a single collectible. It took me apparently 2.9 hours total, but that includes doubling back and getting a few missed collectibles. It's very pretty because it's just made of primitives. The music is really really nice.

I guess the main thing that the game does that's unique is that it has voiceover narration that provides an inner monologue for the blocks, who all have personalities. This is pretty nice, very well written, and cheeky, and it's cool to think of coloured blocks as human-like characters, but ultimately the "plot" is unclear--something about hacking the gibsons to free the information mainframe or whatever--and most of the personalities don't really go anywhere or lead to payoff. One very cool thing is that as the voiceover speaks, there are subtitles that appear next to the character you're playing as... but as you move, the subtitles waterfall so that you always see them on screen... so if you're at the right of the screen you might see the subtitles on one line to the left, but if you run to the left and there's less space, it sort of squishes into five or six lines. It can't really be described, it's like the effect that happens if you resize your browser window horizontally and text wraps, but applied to cool effect.

So all in all, I'd say it's well worth the 3 hours and cute and I'm looking forward to what the dev does next, but it doesn't really stick with me, even now and it's not super substantial.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just beat Thomas Was Alone (yeah, I'm a little behind the times here). It's a nice little experience, although I'm surprised that it's quite so acclaimed as it is. It's a very light puzzle platformer. You play as a series of squares or rectangles, each of which has a different colour, a different size, different jumping heights, and some have bonus abilities like double jumping or floating in water. You traverse levels by switching between characters and stacking them up to use their abilities appropriately to get through the levels. When you get to the end, each square has a box they need to be in to go to the next level. There are 100 levels. The pacing is good, there's always new stuff, levels only take a minute or a minute and a half. None of the levels really have any challenge, it's generally immediately apparent what you have to do and there's only really one mechanic that actually presents any challenge in executing what you need to do
one block type has reverse gravity and you have to sort of lasso a falling block on top of a falling upward block so they sort of meet in the middle and float off each other
. Some levels have a single collectible. It took me apparently 2.9 hours total, but that includes doubling back and getting a few missed collectibles. It's very pretty because it's just made of primitives. The music is really really nice.

I guess the main thing that the game does that's unique is that it has voiceover narration that provides an inner monologue for the blocks, who all have personalities. This is pretty nice, very well written, and cheeky, and it's cool to think of coloured blocks as human-like characters, but ultimately the "plot" is unclear--something about hacking the gibsons to free the information mainframe or whatever--and most of the personalities don't really go anywhere or lead to payoff. One very cool thing is that as the voiceover speaks, there are subtitles that appear next to the character you're playing as... but as you move, the subtitles waterfall so that you always see them on screen... so if you're at the right of the screen you might see the subtitles on one line to the left, but if you run to the left and there's less space, it sort of squishes into five or six lines. It can't really be described, it's like the effect that happens if you resize your browser window horizontally and text wraps, but applied to cool effect.

So all in all, I'd say it's well worth the 3 hours and cute and I'm looking forward to what the dev does next, but it doesn't really stick with me, even now and it's not super substantial.
yeah that weird "you created cancer" (or something like that) subplot just came out of nowhere

it's just a cute little game with a lot of cute little stuff

Salsa

I honestly thought the gameplay got in the way. I was basically annoyed as I played it, it wasn't fun or engaging and I was just going through it cause it had that interesting (now all over the place) voice over stuff. I think it failed at that.

Grief.exe

Roundhouse kicking

iwPkT2frC6Pjj.jpg

StAidan

It was a decent enough game, but I was more than ready for it to be over after the first 90 minutes or so. The gameplay just didn't stay interesting enough aside from a couple spots (like the gravity mechanic you mentioned). The narration was cool and mostly entertaining, but the plot was just ridiculous -- in a nonsensical way rather than a good way.

Garcia

Can anyone give any advice on the following games? I have an extra 20 in my wallet and wanted to spend it today.

I'm looking at:

RE4 HD
Don't Starve
Strider
Project Zomboid

or

I could get Terraria and something else for 10 bucks.

Thanks in advance!

I really recommend Don't Starve if you enjoy roguelikes and survival games. I have put nearly 40 hours into that game alone and I think I've only discovered 30% of all the things that you can find. You are thrown into a randomly generated world where the only objective is to survive for as long as you can. Sounds simple but the level of complexity (and skill) required to stay alive each consecutive night is extremely addictive.

The modding community is pretty vibrant and if you ever chose to mod you game you will definitely have a much more enjoyable time.

Thumbs up for the game.

natertots

I really recommend Don't Starve if you enjoy roguelikes and survival games. I have put nearly 40 hours into that game alone and I think I've only discovered 30% of all the things that you can find. You are thrown into a randomly generated world where the only objective is to survive for as long as you can. Sounds simple but the level of complexity (and skill) required to stay alive each consecutive night is extremely addictive.

The modding community is pretty vibrant and if you ever chose to mod you game you will definitely have a much more enjoyable time.

Thumbs up for the game.

Thanks, I've been intrigued by this game for a while now. I love survival games that I can sink a lot of hours into. I may be downloading it later tonight. I wanted resident evil but I may wait a few weeks on that game.

Garcia

Thanks, I've been intrigued by this game for a while now. I love survival games that I can sink a lot of hours into. I may be downloading it later tonight. I wanted resident evil but I may wait a few weeks on that game.

Then you will definitely enjoy Don't Starve. :)

RE4 is pretty much the best in the series. Both games are excellent choices regardless of the time you eventually decide to try each out.

In short: you're in for a treat.

catabarez

So I tested a bunch of my games out and it seems Bioshock Infinite is the only that doesn't work. Hopefully they can fix this.

Edit: Welp. I had the crazy idea of reinstalling it to a different drive and now it works. This game.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm liking the Naruto UNS3 port, if only it had a proper 60fps mode :(

It doesn't wtf?
It's a Japanese PC port not made by Platinum Games. That means it's probably fucked up in some way, because the Japanese have near zero experience with PC ports and the expectations of PC gamers, plus the higher ups don't really care about getting the proper resources to do the ports.

Mugatu

I own neither of the Zombie Army games, should I get the pack with 1 & 2, or just get the second game on its own?

I have 1 and it's a fun game but the difficulty is a bit off for me - there's parts that I can barely get through while the rest is easy. Fun over all though, I'm sure #2 is good as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm liking the Naruto UNS3 port, if only it had a proper 60fps mode :(
I'm pretty much done with 30fps games forever. The silly part is that the inevitable next gen port is going to have the same problem unless they retool the engine.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Loaded like a freight train~Flyin' like an aeroplane~Feelin' like a space brain~One more time tonight...

So does anyone know why I get this page when I try to go to XCOM's store page in the client?
I can see the page just fine in Firefox, but using the Steam client I just get this page. I should note that it's only an issue on my desktop, on my laptop I can go to the store page just fine in a browser or the client.

So does anyone know why I get this page when I try to go to XCOM's store page in the client?

I can see the page just fine in Firefox, but using the Steam client I just get this page. I should note that it's only an issue on my desktop, on my laptop I can go to the store page just fine in a browser or the client.

you put an underage. just delete the cookies for that page and put a age over 18.

KarmaCow

Did you accidentally screw up the age gate?

One Way Heroics

Edit: Beaten by a fraction of a second.

I'll give it a look as I like the visual design of the screen you posted above Khronico so it's worth a look for that if nothing else! :)

I never even got the chance to see an age gate. :/ But alrighty, I'll clear my cookies.

My heart is fine :p.

I checked it for you in the client and deliberately saw that I got the age gate page so hopefully deleting your cookies will clear it up :).

Right, it's 4 am here so it's bedtime for me!

Yeah, clearing out my cookies did it. But honestly, that was the first store page I've gone to on my desktop (it's only been built since last night) and Steam never threw up an age gate. So weird. At least I know how to fix it now. Thanks guys.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but an Uwe Boll's movie actually got me interested in the game it based on. That game is Postal 2. Hmm, now that I've finished downloading the game, what should I know before playing the game? Any mod, improvement that I should be aware of? Or should I just jump right in the game?

Does anyone know how to make an exe out of a dosbox game? I have to put a command each time i want to run it. Any way to save it or something so i dont have to put command each time?

Myshkin

Does anyone know how to make an exe out of a dosbox game? I have to put a command each time i want to run it. Any way to save it or something so i dont have to put command each time?

Is there something wrong with using a shortcut and putting the command line option in the shortcut?

Ryne

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Real World Racing -- MB-CB5E11BCC59F92B3 - Taken by Nabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom