• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to connect my pc to my tv but I need to use the mini hdmi port on the grapics card and Im not sure if a what kind of 7m vable id need to connect the mini hdmi port to the hdmi on the tv

can anyone help amazon mentions female and male connections and i have literally no clue which to get :(

Turfster

The dog cages in thi4f are such a bullshit mechanic.
You can creep by birds, but dogs are dicks and start barking the second you're even remotely in range. If you stay on the periphery of that magical range, you're totally fine though... until they start peppering the maps with dog cages everywhere.
Fucking dogs.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Been playing UNS3 a bit more, the quality of the animations is absolutely outstanding, and seems like they totally hardcoded those to 30fps (if you get lower than 30fps, the game SLOWS down rather than having missing frames, lol).
I'm kinda disappointed that the main mode to unlock characters is still that terrible and barebones RPG-lite mode... should just be the fights and cut-scenes...

It doesn't wtf?
yeah, probably due to what I mentioned above

I'm pretty much done with 30fps games forever. The silly part is that the inevitable next gen port is going to have the same problem unless they retool the engine.
Hopefully they are working with that in mind for next gen iterations since "Revolution" is going to be a PS360 title so I don't expect anything to change for that one (at least the 4P mode looks quite interesting)

dat IQ tho.
Totally, forcing higher AA through Catalyst makes it look *really* nice

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I want to connect my pc to my tv but I need to use the mini hdmi port on the grapics card and Im not sure if a what kind of 7m vable id need to connect the mini hdmi port to the hdmi on the tv

can anyone help amazon mentions female and male connections and i have literally no clue which to get :(

Your GPU has mini HDMI out? You want a male mini HDMI to male HDMI.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10242&cs_id=1024201&p_id=3645&seq=1&format=2

female cables have a vagina
33413.jpg

male cables have a penis
33412.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The dog cages in thi4f are such a bullshit mechanic.
You can creep by birds, but dogs are dicks and start barking the second you're even remotely in range. If you stay on the periphery of that magical range, you're totally fine though... until they start peppering the maps with dog cages everywhere.
Fucking dogs.
I'm on the second to last level with a 700 point master custom set up and dogs are the least of my worries. They have been easy to avoid up to this point.

Turfster

I'm on the second to last level with a 700 point master custom set up and dogs are the least of my worries. They have been easy to avoid up to this point.

Let me guess, you actually bought choke arrows? =p
I'm still running 'scavenge only', which has given me enough water/rope/blunt arrows, but not a single choke arrow yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Let me guess, you actually bought choke arrows? =p
I'm still running 'scavenge only', which has given me enough water/rope/blunt arrows, but not a single choke arrow yet.
I haven't fired a single choke arrow. I have used like ten water arrows total for the whole game.

I did 100% of the side quests too.

Is Guacamelee that much better with a proper d-pad? I didn't have too many issues with just the stick on my 360 pad.

I used the 360 D-pad without many issues. Initially I did think about using a PS3 pad via bluetooth but I got used to the 360 one and happily continued playing until I finished the game.

Lain

Now that I've died 5 times in One Way Heroics I'm finally beginning to understand the mechanics and rules of the game. I kept hindering my progress by trying to grab all the items I found; big mistake since you have a limited weight load, which forces you to make important decisions every single time you find a bag, a chest or scattered loot in the overworld. You have to die at least 3 or 4 times before you begin to understand the depth of the game so don't feel too overwhelmed.

It is a very refreshing mix of genres. As jshackles already mentioned a few pages ago:

Indeed. I died pretty quickly the first time (and the third) but those deaths did teach me enough and, like you, i was trying to grab a bit too much stuff.
The game is pretty great, especially because it is addictive. After surviving a crash 7 minutes in, I went back and when I stopped playing to rest a little bit, almost 2 hours had gone by.

Anyone got an idea on this weird steam issue:

Anytime im downloading something on a steam (game/update) my other devices will not connect to the network nor can I even load a webpage on the computer downloading the stuff. Meanwhile the download is going just fine, I have a good connection so know its not lack of.

edit: Updated router firmware, seems to be working fine now....

MRORANGE

If the Gabe AMA is going to happen and he won't answer questions on HL3..... info on these other topics would be great:

Other questions to ask instead of HL3:

- Why didn't Valve wait for CS:GO to be ported in Source2 ?
- What's holding up the development of the SteamOS?
- Why opt for the diamond pattern in the new Steam controller if it already works well as a kb/m?
- Why did you scrap two projects by Arkane Studio?
- How have you maintained communities in the long-run that are not F2P?
- Why haven't you stepped into the mobile market place yet?
- When will Valve consider streaming games from servers?
- Has the Steam 'network API' goal been reached yet?
- Communication with Valve/Steam is still poor, how are you improving this?
- Do you still think the single player experience is over?
- How much are you involved in Oculus Rift overall development?
- If you do have individual working with OCRift, why havent you developed your own dedicated VR systems instead?
- What's happened to FSTOP?
- Views of where next-gen might take us in PC gaming - besides VR?
- Relationship with EA and other partners?
- Thoughts on other competing clients on PC and on Consoles?
- Can you bring back achievement events during the Holiday sales?
- Will you be able to match the output of games as you did in the 7th generation?
- Does Valve feel overwhelmed with projects such as DOTA2?
- Views of fragmented communities: L4D and CS and it's impact for gamers?
- When are you going to hire Jshackles?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
- Can you bring back achievement events during the Holiday sales?
howaboutno_bear.jpg

Seriously, especially those that were game specific sucked real bad, I hope they never appear again.

Grief.exe

Gabe said once that if you want to get hired by Valve, then it helps to have something you have completed on your own as part of your resume.

Enhanced Steam is the perfect example of this. Not only does it demonstrate his talent, but it shows that he will be able to excellent in their flat corporate structure.

Above all, though, the client performance is one of the main complaints with Steam. It should be one of the top priorities at Valve as the client is how your consumer interacts with the store.

I agree that it should be, however they apparently think that since it is relatively stable and functional, that it doesn't really need much. I complained about its clunkiness to a colleague and he was like, what's wrong with it. I don't think many people are very vocal about it at all, it's basically the crappiest webkit browser and has a bundled flash like chrome. Personally I think they need to have browser options ala about:config and chrome:settings or whatever.

Khronico

For all the hate I and others may heap on Origin, they did one thing right: The client is great. It's fast, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. Steam barely gets the functional part down.

Also one huge thing for me that I would like to have is better game sorting in the library. It's a serious hassle to individually categorize each game, especially when you start to reach into the triple digits for game count.

For all the hate I and others may heap on Origin, they did one thing right: The client is great. It's fast, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. Steam barely gets the functional part down.

Also one huge thing for me that I would like to have is better game sorting in the library. It's a serious hassle to individually categorize each game, especially when you start to reach into the triple digits for game count.
man functional sure is great

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
- When are you going to hire Jshackles?

Gabe said once that if you want to get hired by Valve, then it helps to have something you have completed on your own as part of your resume.

Enhanced Steam is the perfect example of this. Not only does it demonstrate his talent, but it shows that he will be able to excellent in their flat corporate structure.

Above all, though, the client performance is one of the main complaints with Steam. It should be one of the top priorities at Valve as the client is how your consumer interacts with the store.

It's not just Gabe that says that, it's kind of like their corporate mantra. Even when I visited Valve headquarters, I was told over and over again "The best way to get hired here is to take something we do, and make it better." Message received.

To my knowledge, there isn't a single other (non-Valve) piece of software or created content that is used by more Steam users than Enhanced Steam. Assuming that every Steam account is unique to one person,
which we all know it's not,
it means that almost 1 out of every 50 Steam users uses Enhanced Steam.

I'm sending my latest resume over through the official (and a few non-official) channels later this week. Wish me luck guys.

Nakazato

It's not just Gabe that says that, it's kind of like their corporate mantra. Even when I visited Valve headquarters, I was told over and over again "The best way to get hired here is to take something we do, and make it better." Message received.

To my knowledge, there isn't a single other (non-Valve) piece of software or created content that is used by more Steam users than Enhanced Steam. Assuming that every Steam account is unique to one person,
which we all know it's not,
it means that almost 1 out of every 50 Steam users uses Enhanced Steam.

I'm sending my latest resume over through the official (and a few non-official) channels later this week. Wish me luck guys.
GL Bro

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Is Guacamelee that much better with a proper d-pad? I didn't have too many issues with just the stick on my 360 pad.

After playing it with a PS2 and 360 controller along with version on the Vita(shoutouts to the people that told me it was amazing, but I ended up hating it because 30fps), the game is pretty much fine as long as you're not using a terrible controller like those Power A or Logitech f310-710 controllers. Definitely not a Dig Dug 360 dpad situation

I still need to finish Guac but that Pokemon X got me stuck.

Garcia

fuck this place

and fuck this analog stick

The heavy duty platforming sections in Guacamelee made me swtich from Analog to D-pad. I was playing with a Playstation controller. The Tule Tree challenges are almost impossible to overcome with analog; the level of precision required to excel at those parts leaves no window of error.

Good thing that you eventually swtiched to D-pad. I would pull my hair out if I didn't have the option to switch between both, lol.

Garcia

Best of Luck, shackles. People like you are really necessary to improve the quality of Steam's interface. It feels a bit archaic and counterintuitive (and I've only been using Steam for 3 months).

I feel for you people playing anything with the DS3 analog stick.

It's not that bad actually. I mean, I prefer the Xbox feel but DS still gets the job done.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone played One Way Heroics? Looks very interesting just wondering what people's impression of the game?

I've put 4 hours into it so far. I've got to say, I'm having a lot of fun with it. It has more depth than I thought it would have, and it's got a lot of replayability thanks to the ability to create, and join, other maps (or dimensions in the game) for a different experience.

Plus it's still $1.99 for a Steam key on Playism so it's well worth the price of admittance.

Grief.exe

I am tempted to pick up a DS4 to serve as my main PC controller and finish off my PS3 backlog (the ones that are compatible). The only problem is the controllers are just ridiculously expensive.

I have a Best Buy gift card, but I would much prefer to spend that money on actual games.

Tenrius

Does anyone not think that? :eek:

Hehe. I just haven't been following any threads or any kind of discussion about this series. I vaguely remember playing through and liking the first game back when it was originally released and that's all. I wasn't much of forum person back then and it gradually became irrelevant to me over the years, so I've been more or less unaware of popular perception of the game. Up until now, that is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

There's still no x64 Steam isn't there? It took forever to get Origin and Battlefield 4 to finally let my "non-Steam Game" shortcut to accept the Steam overlay. Like in February or so. Before that I had no option to get screenshots outside of the console. :/

Wouldn't have been an issue if x64 Steam was there for x64 apps like BF4's, yeah?

Nabs

I am tempted to pick up a DS4 to serve as my main PC controller and finish off my PS3 backlog (the ones that are compatible). The only problem is the controllers are just ridiculously expensive.

I have a Best Buy gift card, but I would much prefer to spend that money on actual games.

I'm waiting on a deal or for them to address the peeling issue. I need to put my 360 pad to rest.

Alex

I prefer the shape of the DS3 but the analog sticks have always sucked, yeah. Really interested in a DS4 but I'm a little worried about if I have to hack it up a bunch like with the DS3 (always, always ran into stray problems with it). Due to that i'm also curious about the PC version of the XB1 controller.

I prefer the shape of the DS3 but the analog sticks have always sucked, yeah. Really interested in a DS4 but I'm a little worried about if I have to hack it up a bunch like with the DS3 (always, always ran into stray problems with it). Due to that i'm also curious about the PC version of the XB1 controller.
My experience with the XB1 controller was weird. I basically liked everything about it, especially the rumble in the triggers, but the analog sticks felt really squirrely and loose. I hope they fix that up with a "new" controller soon, and by then I'll probably have a XB1 of my own.

Levyne

Banned
My experience with the XB1 controller was weird. I basically liked everything about it, especially the rumble in the triggers, but the analog sticks felt really squirrely and loose. I hope they fix that up with a "new" controller soon, and by then I'll probably have a XB1 of my own.

Has this been hinted or are you just hoping?

Anyways, hope XB1 gets official pc support/drivers soon..well I could live with the 360 for while if I need to, I don't have any glaring problems with it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm waiting on a deal or for them to address the peeling issue. I need to put my 360 pad to rest.

FWIW, I haven't had any issues with my DS4. It appears that if it has a batch number ending in "G" that's it's not an issue. Don't blame you for not risking $60 on it, though.

Tellaerin

Meanwhile, here I am, still rocking the DS2 I bought when I picked up the PC version of Phantasy Star Universe. You guys are seriously making me feel old here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for IblisGinjo:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

One Way Heroics -- MB-1CA114DC4F1846E8 - Taken by adriano999. 12 entrants total.

t1393816143z1.png

Here you go.

Khronico

It's weird how I never really thought about the analog sticks and triggers of the DS3 until I saw people complaining about them, and now it bugs me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom