• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

One way heroics is rad. Only... I've spend 5 levels for custom save, damn that temptress, and it was big mistake, because after losing 5 lvls I get killed by bandits. :(
Probably gotta start again, I think it'll be my fifth time.
darkness is scary

Did your stats go down when you spent those levels? They don't when you spend levels at the goddess statues to gain stats.

Arthea

Did your stats go down when you spent those levels? They don't when you spend levels at the goddess statues to gain stats.

Not that I noticed (will check next time), but I get killed by bandits rather easily after, so it has to be loss of those levels. :(
it's the moment where some bandits gang on me, and right after that I get even stronger enemies, and a mean lady (fairy) says I had to run, but I was able to kill bandits before, that's why I am almost sure I lose stats.
edited:
unless bandits can get stronger too
, can they?

I'm under the weather =p

excuses!
how you get under the weather never leaving your PC?! (><)

BTW how's Thief, still hating but playing?

Garcia

I hadn't noticed this! Thanks.

it's the moment where some bandits gang on me, and right after that I get even stronger enemies, and a mean lady (fairy) says I had to run, but I was able to kill bandits before, that's why I am almost sure I lose stats.
edited:
, can they?

I still don't know if
they get stronger
but man, out of my 12 tries, 3 of them I've been killed by those bastards. They are really tough. >_<

VoidZero

Banned
Not that I noticed (will check next time), but I get killed by bandits rather easily after, so it has to be loss of those levels. :(
edited:
, can they?
Don't forget to use the awakening skill, it's really helpful in those situations.

Arthea

I still don't know if
they get stronger
but man, out of my 12 tries, 3 of them I've been killed by those bastards. They are really tough. >_<
They are mean, that's true (><)

Don't forget to use the awakening skill, it's really helpful in those situations.

Can't do, already at 0!

Basically.
It's pretty, but they made so many dumb choices.
Also, can we take UE3 out behind the shed and shoot it yet?

Just take it behind the shed, I'll shoot it with pleasure!

One way heroics is rad. Only... I've spend 5 levels for custom save, damn that temptress, and it was big mistake, because after losing 5 lvls I get killed by bandits. :(
Probably gotta start again, I think it'll be my fifth time.
darkness is scary

I still dont understand the reason of this kind of save. You have some save where you dont lose any levels... and then some save where you lose 5 levels. I find it very strange and confusing. And people who encounter the godess(?) first are hating the game right from the start.

Awesome game so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have next to no desire to continue with Thief. There's nothing worse than realising you missed a collectable and discovering that the game arbitrarily prevents you from backtracking... especially in a reboot of a series that prided itself on allowing players to explore to their hearts' content.

I have next to no desire to continue with Thief. There's nothing worse than realising you missed a collectable and discovering that the game arbitrarily prevents you from backtracking... especially in a reboot of a series that prided itself on allowing players to explore to their hearts content.

Welcome to "next-gen".

Turfster

I have next to no desire to continue with Thief. There's nothing worse than realising you missed a collectable and discovering that the game arbitrarily prevents you from backtracking... especially in a reboot of a series that prided itself on allowing players to explore to their hearts content.
The no backtracking gates are totally arbitrary too and usually look the same as a normal UE3 "we needed to put this in another level file" gate, which is even more rage inducing.
Or you think you'll just pick something up on the way back, but then you get about halfway back and suddenly BOOM STUPID CUTSCENE WHERE YOU DO UNCHARACTERISTIC SHIT END OF LEVEL

Analogue a Hate Story is the kinkiest game I've ever played.

Game is really amazing, though the only thing you do is read letters.
I remember when all games were like that! =p
Text only, that is. Not kinky.

Garcia

I still dont understand the reason of this kind of save. You have some save where you dont lose any levels... and then some save where you lose 5 levels. I find it very strange and confusing. And people who encounter the godess(?) first are hating the game right from the start.

Awesome game so far.

There are some design choices that are questionable, yes, but I think OWH is a very solid "prototype" for posterior RPG/Roguelike games.

I'm still amazed by how well both genres work together; we can only wait until more developers decide to explore the possibilities down the road.

Arthea

Awesome game so far.

It's just little of trolling in form of temptation, I stood firm couple of times and later I died, had to start over, so I was sorry, that's why I took offered option, even if I knew that's not very good idea.
Don't hate a game though, had good laugh at myself rather. I think dying teaches me some lesson every time. It just that you need some luck in this game, and my "luck" is legendary by my account, so it'll take me a long time to get to the end, but that's just how things are.

Analogue a Hate Story is the kinkiest game I've ever played.

Game is really amazing, though the only thing you do is read letters.

The start was amazing, I felt so nicely trolled. It's strange that this game isn't popular, too strange for people, perhaps?

The start was amazing, I felt so nicely trolled. It's strange that this game isn't popular, too strange for people, perhaps?

I think that is because I doesnt offer much Gameplay and even compared to a VN you just read letters and it feels like "Datalog - The Game".

Caerith

I still don't know if
they get stronger

Bandits are always tough. My trick for dealing with them is to switch weapons. I carry over one strong weapon with nice modifiers, but use just the starting weapon or whatever 90% of the time. When I get jumped by bandits, or demons, or a bear, etc, I pull out my strong weapon to kill them fast, then switch back to the normal weapon.

What I don't understand is how to recruit the mercenary in the daily dimension-- he asks for 500 silver, but how can you get that much silver in the starting castle? Unless I'm missing something, you can't carry silver over.

Ya, but it's VN, that is gameplay in VN, getting to the bottom of things, I mean.

VNs usually offer more variety in terms of Backgrounds though so you can get to know the world/city of the VN.
In Anaologue though that is not the case. You are essentially constantly staring at datalogs/letters for the whole Game.
I liked Analogue but I can see why people wouldnt want to play such a Game, even if they like VNs.

Btw. any tips for Risk of Rain. I played it for about an hour now and I still dont have a clue whats going on.

I left Steam downloading a game in the background, when I checked back Steam has stopped downloading the game I wanted to download and instead proceeded to download an update of another game that was in queue but was not my current priority. This has occurred multiple time and started to annoyed me. Supposedly, I would have been able to play the game I wanted to play today, yet now I have to wait for tomorrow because Steam keep doing shit like this. Any solution?

Teppic

I kind of regret buying Volgarr the Viking.

Things I like:
It's hard, but it's your own fault if you fail.
Retro style.

Things I don't like:

Game doesn't save at checkpoints.

Respawning enemies.

Old school jumping is okay, but it feels like I have to make some weird jumps back and forth between platforms to progress.

Having to do stuff like in the second check point, where you have to jump down a platform to throw a spear through a small hole at the right time to progress. Failing it means you have to climb your way back up again and throw a new spear. It's not fun and only takes extra time. - Turned out I missed a very noticeable visual clue.

Arthea

What classes and perks are you using, guys? Swimming and climbing any useful (over stats increases I mean)
I tried a hunter, and it's like worst possible class for this game. Anybody managed to win with this one?

VNs usually offer more variety in terms of Backgrounds though so you can get to know the world/city of the VN.
In Anaologue though that is not the case. You are essentially constantly staring at datalogs/letters for the whole Game.
I liked Analogue but I can see why people wouldnt want to play such a Game, even if they like VNs.

I kinda can see, but also not.
don't mind text only games too, may be that's why

Same here, but then again I enjoy
a good book

me too,
even more than a good game at times

Turfster

It's not fun and only takes extra time.
This basically covers all these "but it's a great game because it's super hard" 'games' people seem to like for some reason.
No, fuck you game, I don't have the reaction times of a 5 year old on a sugar binge any more.

Tizoc

I'm gonna use Fraps to see just what my frame rate is in Thief because it seems much smoother than what the benchmark is telling me.

I still get stutering from the cutscenes despite following one tip that suggested changing the Win32 folder's name to Win64, there was also another trick so I'll apply that then continue my playthrough later today.

Caerith

What classes and perks are you using, guys? Swimming and climbing any useful (over stats increases I mean)
I tried a hunter, and it's like worst possible class for this game. Anybody managed to win with this one?

Hunter is my go-to for winning. Having a range attack and being able to see the health of all enemies is great. Switch weapons and arrows depending on the situation-- starting bow and wooden arrows will work 90% of the time, and switch to a high damage bow and/or use specialty arrows (iron, explosive, force, etc) for everything else.

I usually take survivalism (+30HP) and strength (+carrying weight) regardless of class. I'd rather avoid mountains and lakes whenever possible, but if I'm repeating a dimension that I can't avoid climbing in then maybe I'll take them. I'm actually thinking of stacking +unarmed and just going nuts.

Garcia

I beat the Demon Lord! :D !

The game is quite popular already. I entered the Hall of Fame for dimension OX9WJFJS and the list goes oooon and on.

The replayability is insane; the amount of incentives for posterior runs make each consecutive NG+ a fresh and exciting experience. There are plenty of classes to unlock, items to find and carry over through the Dimensional Vault, useful Perks, etc.

Bandits are always tough. My trick for dealing with them is to switch weapons. I carry over one strong weapon with nice modifiers, but use just the starting weapon or whatever 90% of the time. When I get jumped by bandits, or demons, or a bear, etc, I pull out my strong weapon to kill them fast, then switch back to the normal weapon.

Hehe, that's something I've been doing for a while now and it is very practical. Right now I was able to kill the Demon Lord because of 2 favorable situations: First, I had already saved at the ~390 Km. mark; secondly, I had stockpiled a lot of offensive scrolls and items to throw and I had also reserved my powerful axe only to break certain walls an kill overpowered mobs, hence the durability was still high when I went into battle against him.

Arthea

Hunter is my go-to for winning. Having a range attack and being able to see the health of all enemies is great. Switch weapons and arrows depending on the situation-- starting bow and wooden arrows will work 90% of the time, and switch to a high damage bow and/or use specialty arrows (iron, explosive, force, etc) for everything else.

I usually take survivalism (+30HP) and strength (+carrying weight) regardless of class. I'd rather avoid mountains and lakes whenever possible, but if I'm repeating a dimension that I can't avoid climbing in then maybe I'll take them. I'm actually thinking of stacking +unarmed and just going nuts.

really? I must have been doing something wrong, a hunter takes huge damage every time when more than one enemy is attacking. And about ranged attacks, how do they even matter, when enemies get to him in seconds and it's close rage combat all the time?

Ya, I wasn't using swimming or climbing until now too. Unarmed run seems like something worth trying (><)

Garcia

I usually scramble the first 3 perks between Vitality, Strength or Charisma. Now that I have unlocked a 4th perk I have it permanently locked to Master of Unlocking (at least for now).

I won my previous run as a Swordmaster and am about to try to beat the same dimension as a Hunter.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I have next to no desire to continue with Thief. There's nothing worse than realising you missed a collectable and discovering that the game arbitrarily prevents you from backtracking... especially in a reboot of a series that prided itself on allowing players to explore to their hearts' content.

Apparently, after you finish the game, the option to replay chapters for missed collectables becomes available. I can't confirm this myself right now though, as I need to finish The Swapper (and possibly a few more Angelic levels of Splice/ The yacht mission in Blacklist) before I really get into Thief 4.

mannerbot

This basically covers all these "but it's a great game because it's super hard" 'games' people seem to like for some reason.
No, fuck you game, I don't have the reaction times of a 5 year old on a sugar binge any more.

This doesn't describe Volgarr the Viking at all. It's not a twitch reflex game by any means and the "issue" the post complained about doesn't actually exist. There are very obvious platforms right to the left of the vine that line up precisely with the slits in the wall.

edit: unless he was talking about an area way earlier than that, but you just throw a spear from a platform that you stand on there too.

JaseC

Apparently, after you finish the game, the option to replay chapters for missed collectables becomes available. I can't confirm this myself right now though, as I need to finish The Swapper (and possibly a few more Angelic levels of Splice/ The yacht mission in Blacklist) before I really get into Thief 4.

I'd prefer it if it were possible to replay chapters at will, but the option becoming available later is better than nothing, I suppose.

Turfster

I'd prefer it if it were possible to replay chapters at will, but the option becoming available later is better than nothing, I suppose.

You can replay chapters almost immediately, you just need to find the random gate that starts it. I replayed chapter 1 to grab all the collectibles. It's behind the crate gate to south market(I think that's the name), but you can only get to the entrance if you then turn around and move back towards the crate gate.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

This reboot seems to be fraught with compromises.

Edit*, turfster knows a bit more on the situation.

*On mobile, so it's a bit hard to double quote.

NIN90

unbenannt1ju8d.png

Hey guys. I got a notification of an unread chat message that won't go away.
It's from a trader that has deleted me from his friends list.

Anyone know what to do? This is driving me mad.
Already restarted Steam and my PC.

Garcia

Really enjoying PC gaming right now, Steam is awesome.

You know what? That's how I feel about PC gaming as well.

During the last console generation I thought that every concept had already been explored and milked to no end. I didn't know that all the exciting and fresh ideas were now part of the indie scene. Honestly, with games like Guacamelee, Antichamber, Electronic Super Joy and right now One Way Heroics I can see a much brighter future for the industry.

The evolution of gaming is mainly taking place in the Indie Scene, not in the AAA market.

JaseC

You can replay chapters almost immediately, you just need to find the random gate that starts it. I replayed chapter 1 to grab all the collectibles. It's behind the crate gate to south market(I think that's the name), but you can only get to the entrance if you then turn around and move back towards the crate gate.

Ah, that's more along the lines of what I was hoping for. Now I just need to finish up Chapter 1 without missing anything. ;)

unbenannt1ju8d.png

Have you tried viewing the notification via the website?

Teppic

This doesn't describe Volgarr the Viking at all. It's not a twitch reflex game by any means and the "issue" the post complained about doesn't actually exist. There are very obvious platforms right to the left of the vine that line up precisely with the slits in the wall.

edit: unless he was talking about an area way earlier than that, but you just throw a spear from a platform that you stand on there too.
Oh, I'm stupid. Didn't see that.

Knurek

During the last console generation I thought that every concept had already been explored and milked to no end. I didn't know that all the exciting and fresh ideas were now part of the indie scene. Honestly, with games like Guacamelee, Antichamber, Electronic Super Joy and right now One Way Heroics I can see a much brighter future for the industry.

Thing is, all those games are not something I'd call an industry. They are more like manufacture. Industry (that is, huge gaming studios, MMORPGs, etc) seems to actually not have a bright future.

Not that I mind much.

Turfster

Ah, that's more along the lines of what I was hoping for. Now I just need to finish up Chapter 1 without missing anything. ;)
It's the crate gate that leads to the tower with the crossbow guy and the curve in the road next to the fence's place from one of the side missions, if that makes sense. ;)
I haven't tried it with chapter 2, because fuck going through the 50 bazillion loading screens to get to the queen of beggars.

Caerith

really? I must have been doing something wrong, a hunter takes huge damage every time when more than one enemy is attacking. And about ranged attacks, how do they even matter, when enemies get to him in seconds and it's close rage combat all the time?

Ya, I wasn't using swimming or climbing until now too. Unarmed run seems like something worth trying (><)

You must be doing something wrong. Hunters should never stand toe to toe with an enemy, so don't let enemies get close to you. If they insist on getting close to you, check to see if you can target them (like, if they're approaching from a cardinal direction or diagonal): if you can't shoot them, move away from them and see if they've moved into a firing line yet. You only need, like, 1-3 hits from the starting bow to kill just about anything.

unbenannt1ju8d.png

This happens to me from time to time. Not for trade notifications, but like, for anything. It goes away on its own after a few hours.

Jawmuncher

So if you get greenlighted on steam, your future games don't need to go through that process right? Or is that a case by case basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom