• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird how I never really thought about the analog sticks and triggers of the DS3 until I saw people complaining about them, and now it bugs me too.

Hahaha, the only downside to the stock DS3 "triggers" is that your fingers can slip off them too easily.

As for the DS4/DS3 with PC, it's a pretty easy proccess to get them synced with blueooth and takes about as much effort as installing the 360 drivers.

Furthermore I find the BT connection much more reliable than the dongle to connect my wireless 360 controller and I have the option of plugging my DS4/DS3 in via USB cable and not having to deal with anything. I suppose if you're using a corded 360 controller it might be a little better, but then you still have all the other problems with it when compared to the DS3/DS4. :p

Seriously, especially those that were game specific sucked real bad, I hope they never appear again.

I thought they were pretty cool as a way to get people to actually install and try some of the games they bought and made the sale events more interesting than "who's ready to GRIND CARDS?!?!!!"

it means that almost 1 out of every 50 Steam users uses Enhanced Steam.

Holy crap.

I've bought the DS4 to use on my PC, but I still use the wired 360 controller 90% of the time.

Am I the only crazy person who bought a Wii U classic controller and adapter? Worked out of the box as DirectInput, way better D-pad than the 360 pad or either Sony pad.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Am I the only crazy person who bought a Wii U classic controller and adapter? Worked out of the box as DirectInput, way better D-pad than the 360 pad or either Sony pad.

DS4 is also DirectInput out of the box. Truthfully, I haven't liked a Nintendo d-pad since the SNES. I haven't tried the WiiU yet, but it looks like the same hard d-pad they've used since the DS.

Levyne

Banned
Put about an hour into Guacamelee! so far. This game is pretty flashy and fun. I can already see the gameplay adding layers and I onlly have one special move at the moment

I've never used one but I've heard good things about it, might have to pick one up. What kind of adapter does it use?

Yes.
Unless you pull another dadliest giveway that I win and then my answer will be "no, you're totally correct."

I can see the dpads on the Sony pads being more than adequate/good... however, I still can't believe that someone like Banasaurus Rex uses a x360 d-pad when playing Spelunky. It's like having one hand tied behind your back.

mannerbot

Yes.
Unless you pull another dadliest giveway that I win and then my answer will be "no, you're totally correct."

I can see the dpads on the Sony pads being more than adequate/good... however, I still can't believe that someone like Banasaurus Rex uses a x360 d-pad when playing Spelunky. It's like having one hand tied behind your back.

Bananasaurus Rex used to use a 360 d-pad but now has a custom Evil Controllers pad. Latedog's beaten out Rex for all of the speedrun WRs (and had the high score WR as well, until Bananasaurus got the insanely lucky seed that he did in his WR score run) and he plays on keyboard.

Bananasaurus Rex used to use a 360 d-pad but now has a custom Evil Controllers pad. Latedog's beaten out Rex for all of the speedrun WRs (and had the high score WR as well, until Bananasaurus got the insanely lucky seed that he did in his WR score run) and he plays on keyboard.

I was watching part of his WR score run with the plasma cannon and jetpack the other night and there was a 360 controller schematic overlay on t he bottom right that was showing what he pushed on his controller as he was playing... so that's what made me think that Bananasaurus used a stock x360 pad.

mannerbot

I was watching part of his WR score run with the plasma cannon and jetpack the other night and there was a 360 controller schematic overlay on t he bottom right that was showing what he pushed on his controller as he was playing... so that's what made me think that Bananasaurus used a stock x360 pad.

Understandable, the custom controller is styled after the 360 pad.
37365871879908176_8k9vvyzd_c.png

Grief.exe

Looks like the Dark Souls II release date was for certain Asian regions

Update: A representative for Bandai Namco Games says this limited edition is only for Southeast Asia regions including Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand.

If anything, we can probably confirm that the ROW version will be released before the 25th of April.

wilflare

Looks like the Dark Souls II release date was for certain Asian regions

If anything, we can probably confirm that the ROW version will be released before the 25th of April.

hmm.. since I live in Singapore, if anyone really wants the Steelbook... I maybe able to help

DS4 is also DirectInput out of the box.

Oops, brainfart. I meant to say DirectInput and Xinput. Not that it's easier than the DS4 to set up necessarily, but not complex at all.

I haven't tried the WiiU yet, but it looks like the same hard d-pad they've used since the DS.

It's a bigger version of the same pad that's on the 3DS XL.

I've never used one but I've heard good things about it, might have to pick one up. What kind of adapter does it use?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Comes with a mini CD with drivers but both modes worked out of the box for me on Windows 7 without any configuration.

Anteater

There's a trick to that section which makes it really easy... let me stare at the picture and see if i can remember how to do it.

Orrrrr.... nevermind. Good jorb.

Have you gotten the chac mool piece in the mountains with the disappearing timed platforms?

hmm I'm not sure, I don't think so, I only need 1 more to get though

Oh god I just started and that looks tough.

It's actually wasn't so bad, I think the hard platforming sections usually requires you to learn when to press the "switch" button, it's a bit of memorization than being twitch/reflex based, and you can cling on a wall and pause, that section is optional though.

The heavy duty platforming sections in Guacamelee made me swtich from Analog to D-pad. I was playing with a Playstation controller. The Tule Tree challenges are almost impossible to overcome with analog; the level of precision required to excel at those parts leaves no window of error.

Good thing that you eventually swtiched to D-pad. I would pull my hair out if I didn't have the option to switch between both, lol.

Yea my dualshock's analog stick isn't in the best shape either, I keep doing the wrong moves by accident :(

Garcia

I finally reached the Demon Lord during my 11th attempt! But the bastard killed me with his 4 bat minions, lol.

Great game, totally worth the $2. A very novel idea with great potential.

hmm I'm not sure, I don't think so, I only need 1 more to get though

Well, you get the final piece for beating the last boss...

The other pieces are:
*Under Juan's house in a maze
*At the end of the 3rd set of challenges in caverna del pollo
*the disappearing reappearing platforms in the mountains
*The top of the tule tree
*The pain in the ass in the forest del chivo or whatever that need goatfly and some good timing.

HoosTrax

That because it is a 100% stock 360 controller. In terms of the internal components anyway. It's just a custom faceplate. You can either buy just the faceplate and install it yourself, or buy a prebuilt one.

I actually find it not so good for platformers because my thumb is small. It's useful for games that use dpad for gear selection.

The heavy duty platforming sections in Guacamelee made me swtich from Analog to D-pad. I was playing with a Playstation controller. The Tule Tree challenges are almost impossible to overcome with analog; the level of precision required to excel at those parts leaves no window of error.

Good thing that you eventually swtiched to D-pad. I would pull my hair out if I didn't have the option to switch between both, lol.

I had no troubles with the analog sticks in Tule Tree, but with the R2-trigger I complained earlier about, but instead have semi problems with performing the attacks properly

Arthea

One way heroics is rad. Only... I've spend 5 levels for custom save, damn that temptress, and it was big mistake, because after losing 5 lvls I get killed by bandits. :(
Probably gotta start again, I think it'll be my fifth time.
darkness is scary

Dec

If anyone wants a beta key for DawnGate (ARTS/MOBA from EA) then you can sign up and get a key from here: http://www.gamersbook.com/Giveaways/Article/ID/548/Massive-Dawngate-Beta-Key-Giveaway

It's alright I guess.

Edit DP

I was kind of hoping because it was beta, it would be a fresh group of players all learning the game together (this was like 5 months ago or something), but the second I picked my hero I was flamed because they apparently didn't do anything.

Played all of one game and uninstalled. Not really looking to leave Dota anyways, but I was bored.

Edit: on the topic of mobas, Guardians of Middle-Earth is a really poor game. Controls really destroy it, but I also got in games with 9 bots instead of players.

donny2112

It's not just Gabe that says that, it's kind of like their corporate mantra. Even when I visited Valve headquarters, I was told over and over again "The best way to get hired here is to take something we do, and make it better." Message received.

To my knowledge, there isn't a single other (non-Valve) piece of software or created content that is used by more Steam users than Enhanced Steam. Assuming that every Steam account is unique to one person,
which we all know it's not,
it means that almost 1 out of every 50 Steam users uses Enhanced Steam.

I'm sending my latest resume over through the official (and a few non-official) channels later this week. Wish me luck guys.

Enhanced Steam is very useful from the consumer point of view, but do you think the fact that it 1) warns of third-party DRM, which could affect Steam sales and 2) advertises lower prices on non-Steam sites for Steam redeemable games, which could affect Steam sales, might be negatively affecting the impression Enhanced Steam would give to anyone who reviews it at Valve? I suppose they could say that you can leave the current version alone and then work on a Steam-approved one that doesn't have that stuff, though. Just a thought.

Arthea

Is it just me? I'm constantly getting dropped from steam chat, online, offline then online again.

yup, not only chat too.

edited: Do we know what is a mystery game in Scandinavia bundle?

It's super annoying when I'm trying to talk to someone.

it is, but it's super annoying when trying to access inventory too, or store!

It gets better at times when most people sleep, then again you don't really need chat then either(><)

On unrelated note, when Space Rangers were on sale if ever?

It was 50% off on the Bundlestars store a couple of weeks ago.

I've only played about 5 hours so far but it still has the old charm about it and it is nice to be able to play at a higher res than 1024x768 at last without needing mods. This leads to a couple of niggles, however. For example, although the options allow you to resize some of the dialog text you can't adjust the interface itself. This means that certain elements such as the mini-map can be uncomfortably small.

Arthea

It was 50% off on the Bundlestars store a couple of weeks ago.

I've only played about 5 hours so far but it still has the old charm about it and it is nice to be able to play at a higher res than 1024x768 at last without needing mods. This leads to a couple of niggles, however. For example, although the options allow you to resize some of the dialog text you can't adjust the interface itself. This means that certain elements such as the mini-map can be uncomfortably small.

I don't pay much attention to bundlestars store, may be I should.
At least now you can say that it's really mini map ;)

Furious Wings DLC unlocked for Indiegala Rise of Flight bundle.

ya... yesterday! You are slacking (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom