• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

You know what? That's how way I feel about PC gaming as well.

During the last console generation I thought that every concept had already been explored and milked to no end. I didn't know that all the exciting and fresh ideas were now part of the indie scene. Honestly, with games like Guacamelee, Antichamber, Electronic Super Joy and right now One Way Heroics I can see a much brighter future for the industry.

The evolution of gaming is mainly taking place in the Indie Scene, not in the AAA market.

AAA gaming is in the cinematic experience hell and staying there, seeing as they sell, people like them and I'm OK with this.
What I'm not OK with, how awesome indie efforts don't influence industry at all, even tiny little bit.
I imagine AAA adventure game in the vein of Nightmares from the Deep, 3 genres mixed there, maybe not perfectly but really enjoyable, giving so much diversity to the game. Imagine if BioInf was an adventure game like this! Or real Game of Thrones a game based on what Long Live the Queen was but with budget and length, imagine possibilities! Thousands of choices and outcomes. Or even reimagined Dune with depth of strategy games now, but still with original story and adventure aspects.
now I'll go and cry in the corner a little

You must be doing something wrong. Hunters should never stand toe to toe with an enemy, so don't let enemies get close to you. If they insist on getting close to you, check to see if you can target them (like, if they're approaching from a cardinal direction or diagonal): if you can't shoot them, move away from them and see if they've moved into a firing line yet. You only need, like, 1-3 hits from the starting bow to kill just about anything.

But doesn't needless moving around take too much of precious time? I was trying to finish enemies as fast as possible, and when 2 or 3 enemies are on you, moving really doesn't seem like good option as a hunter takes damage in that time, and as I said, damage taken is my main problem with this class.
gonna try that, when I finish my run with knight.

Yes, also if you get a publisher you don't have to get greenlight I think.

that can't be true, there are (and were) games on greenlight from people that already have games on steam...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's the crate gate that leads to the tower with the crossbow guy and the curve in the road next to the fence's place from one of the side missions, if that makes sense. ;)

I'm sure it'll click into place one I'm there, haha.

JaseC

So if you get greenlighted on steam, your future games don't need to go through that process right? Or is that a case by case basis?

It was case-by-case but I think Valve's since relaxed that component as I can't name any recent examples of a publisher being forced to go through Greenlight again. I distinctly recall Snowbird being told that if it wanted to distribute the original Eador on Steam it'd have to be a pre-purchase incentive for the greenlit sequel... even though SCS had earlier released the original Euro Truck Sim sans Greenlight (the original Eador has since been made available separately).

Edit: I'm bad at tabbed browsing.

Pachimari

Is Euro Truck Simulator 2 addicting?

I'm thinking of getting it on sale for €10, but does my Logitech Driving Force Pro work with it?

Dr Dogg

I've umming and ahhing about grabbing South Park. Where's the cheapest place to pick it up at the mo? Are traders still selling it for $20? I see Nuuvem have it for around £25 but I've still got a buttload of Amazon credit and it would be essentially free, though I was saving that for a rainy day.

Cheers in advance folks.

JaseC

I've umming and ahhing about grabbing South Park. Where's the cheapest place to pick it up at the mo? Are traders still selling it for are $20? I see Nuuvem have it for around £25 but I've still got a buttload of Amazon credit and it would be essentially free, though I was saving that for a rainy day.

Cheers in advance folks.

Ubi plugged that hole. Nuuvem is your best bet if you'd rather avoid using your Amazon credit.

Garcia

Thing is, all those games are not something I'd call an industry. They are more like manufacture. Industry (that is, huge gaming studios, MMORPGs, etc) seems to actually not have a bright future.

Not that I mind much.

Fair point you make right there. I also happen to agree with Arthea on this regard:

AAA gaming is in the cinematic experience hell and staying there, seeing as they sell, people like them and I'm OK with this.
What I'm not OK with, how awesome indie efforts don't influence industry at all, even tiny little bit.

Right now the breach between both markets is astronomical. Big studios are (and will keep) playing it safe because of the steep production values required to deliver "next-gen experiences". Just imagine if some of the amazing ideas that are born from the indie scene found their way into the AAA market? A new golden age for gaming, truly.

I suppose we won't see the day at all.

Milamber

Is Euro Truck Simulator 2 addicting?

I'm thinking of getting it on sale for €10, but does my Logitech Driving Force Pro work with it?

Quite addicting if you like leveling up driver and employee skills and managing a shipping company across all of Europe. All controllers work with it, you just need to map it.

derExperte

Grid 1 + 2 75% off at GamersGate

My experience with the XB1 controller was weird. I basically liked everything about it, especially the rumble in the triggers, but the analog sticks felt really squirrely and loose. I hope they fix that up with a "new" controller soon, and by then I'll probably have a XB1 of my own.

When was that? Supposedly the first controllers that came with the Day 1-editions felt too loose but later ones have better sticks. Theoretically the massively improved DS4 (playing MG:R on PS3 just reminded me that I don't like anything about its abominable predecessor) would be my new choice as soon as Sony sorts out the quality issues 100% but I got my hands on a cheap X1 Titanfall pad, so when MS releases drivers I'll try that for a while. Anyway, after all the kinks have been worked we'll have two great pads to choose from.

Jawmuncher

It was case-by-case but I think Valve's since relaxed that component as I can't name any recent examples of a publisher being forced to go through Greenlight again. I distinctly recall Snowbird being told that if it wanted to distribute the original Eador on Steam it'd have to be a pre-purchase incentive for the greenlit sequel... even though SCS had earlier released the original Euro Truck Sim sans Greenlight (the original Eador has since been made available separately).

Yes, also if you get a publisher you don't have to get greenlight I think.

Ahh ok thanks for the answers you to. Just wanted to be sure. Not like I have a game on greenlight but I was curious about the whole thing.

__________________________________________________________--

Still bothers me that there's no drivers for the XB1 controllers. If there was one good thing that came from GFWL it was helping make then Xbox 360 controller and Xinput the standard for PC gaming. Would have thought MS would find it important to continue that trend. Hell at this point I find it odd why Sony, MS, or Nintendo wouldn't just make controller compatible on PC from the get go.

Caerith

But doesn't needless moving around take too much of precious time? I was trying to finish enemies as fast as possible, and when 2 or 3 enemies are on you, moving really doesn't seem like good option as a hunter takes damage in that time, and as I said, damage taken is my main problem with this class.
gonna try that, when I finish my run with knight.
Don't move needlessly. You can tell where enemies are, so move to avoid large groups of them, don't go out of your way to chase enemies that aren't worth a lot of exp (like bears), and use the time before an enemy is in range to decide if you want to swap weapons or ammo. You'll get the hang of it in time. The only enemy you should ever get hit by is the Demon Lord (so spam awakenings and healing items on that one).

More recently, Soldak had to put Drox Operative through Greenlight, even though Depths of Peril was already on Steam. Indeed, Scania Truck Driving Simulator (which was essentially a prototype for Euro Truck Simulator 2) also apparently had to go through the Greenlight process.

JaseC

More recently, Soldak had to put Drox Operative through Greenlight, even though Depths of Peril was already on Steam.

Ah, interesting.

Indeed, Scania Truck Driving Simulator (which was essentially a prototype for Euro Truck Simulator 2) also apparently had to go through the Greenlight process.

Scania was put up on Greenlight alongside Euro Truck Sim 2. I think it not hitting Steam until after it'd been greenlit is just a coincidence rather than a necessary formality:

As you may remember, Scania TDS has been Greenlit on Steam back in October of last year already. We would like to express big thanks to everyone who supported us by voting for the game! Today, the game finally becomes available on Steam. We have been so busy working on improvements for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator that none of [our] programmers managed to find the time for preparing the game for Steam distribution until now.

Tizoc

Probably UE3 delayed texture loading.

By cutscenes I mean the pre-rendered ones BTW, because the regular in-game cutscenes are fine.
I feel kinda silly for missing out on the playfire rewards but hopefully I'll be able to get the remaining ones, every little bit of Space Bucks count~

It was probably a mistake to buy Assassin's Creed III this soon after finishing Brotherhood and Revelations. I think I'll take a long break from the franchise after I'm done with it.

Turfster

By cutscenes I mean the pre-rendered ones BTW, because the regular in-game cutscenes are fine.
Oh. Because I mainly get hitches when the game takes the camera away from me yet again to show me a swoopy panorama or something I couldn't even see from where I was, and then I see textures pop in the first time, but on all further tries (assuming I reloaded the same checkpoint), it's fine.

Scania was put up on Greenlight alongside Euro Truck Sim 2. I think it not hitting Steam until after it'd been greenlit is just a coincidence rather than a necessary formality:

Ah, interesting. ;)
I should know better than to attempt to out-info JaseC :p

I guess it is an indication of just how well ETS2 has taken over the imagination of gamers. I'm actually a little disappointed that Scania has languished in the shadows, because although it is a smaller game with more mission-based objectives it also gives you the opportunity to perform feats like drive along a section of the infamous Yungas Road:

iVMIe92ZT4gOi.jpg

Arthea

nope, nothing changed
http://steamcommunity.com/id/PhleBuster/myworkshopfiles/?section=greenlight

also could you kindly vote for it! And we'll make gaf 100% fun group and will be playing it like there is no tomorrow, 4 gafers at the time (><)

I upvote every Greenlight game I'm linked to. I'm handy like that. ;)

lol, I mean they still have to go through greenlight process inspite of having games greenlit before.
you not gonna play it, though :(

really? I must have been doing something wrong, a hunter takes huge damage every time when more than one enemy is attacking. And about ranged attacks, how do they even matter, when enemies get to him in seconds and it's close rage combat all the time?

Ya, I wasn't using swimming or climbing until now too. Unarmed run seems like something worth trying (><)

Are you using the Ranger's abilty dash? Also the Ranger can 'see' the enemies and npc that are not on screen, sometimes is better to wait a turn without moving (ctrl + x) to make the enemy enter your line of sight.

Arthea

Are you using the Ranger's abilty dash? Also the Ranger can 'see' the enemies and npc that are not on screen, sometimes is better to wait a turn without moving (ctrl + x) to make the enemy enter your line of sight.

dash? the hunter has dash?!
why I am so blind? lol
thanks for a tip

dash? the hunter has dash?!
why I am so blind? lol
thanks for a tip

Press x to bring the menu and its in the far left. Keep in mind it's not a Dash like in action games, it allows you to move faster if you keep going in a straight line but end if you change directions or when your stamina bar is depleted.

Anteater

Did the disappearing platforms level in guacamelee, guess I'll beat the last boss again and wrap it up later, too lazy to get the rest of the achievement stuff >.>

We need more games like this :eek:

Garcia

One Way Heroics is definitely one of the best Steam games I've bought in a long time. An absolute steal for two bucks.

Yup, more people should definitely buy it. For the amount of replayability such a small game packs, $2 is a steal.

Btw, it just hit me: The overworld music is pure MIDI! (and it fits the game so well).

Diedac

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-3375C5BF995A2100 - Taken by kudoboi

Arthea

Press x to bring the menu and its in the far left. Keep in mind it's not a Dash like in action games, it allows you to move faster if you keep going in a straight line but end if you change directions or when your stamina bar is depleted.

the menus are really tiny and letters hard to read, I probably missed more than just dash. Need to study all of them more closely next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom