• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

Steam notified me that one of my screenshots I posted was banned :(

It was a Metro Last Light screen that contained a boob

Steam notified me that one of my screenshots I posted was banned :(

It was a Metro Last Light screen that contained a boob

Kevin-Spacey-Oscars.JPG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bundle Stars new The Adrenaline Bundle. 12 Steam keys for $4.99
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/adrenaline-bundle/
  • Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
  • Etherlords II
  • Master Reboot
  • Expeditions: Conquistador
  • Rock of Ages
  • Postal
  • Gun Monkeys
  • Heli Heroes
  • Monday Night Combat
  • Bang Bang Racing
  • Kaptain Brawe
  • Axis Game Factory

Etherlords 2 is actually the Etherlords Bundle, so you get both games. I thought it was odd that the sequel would be included but not the original.

Expeditions: Conquistador is a really neat game, and it alone is well worth $4.99. It's a semi-historical turn-based RPG based on the Spanish conquest of South America. There's a large overworld, squad management, some survival-ish stuff, and an interesting, non-linear adventure waiting to be discovered.

I really enjoyed the time I spent playing EC and highly recommend it.

Bundle Stars new The Adrenaline Bundle. 12 Steam keys for $4.99
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/adrenaline-bundle/
  • Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
  • Etherlords II
  • Master Reboot
  • Expeditions: Conquistador
  • Rock of Ages
  • Postal
  • Gun Monkeys
  • Heli Heroes
  • Monday Night Combat
  • Bang Bang Racing
  • Kaptain Brawe
  • Axis Game Factory
This is a nice bundle! Bundle Stars has been doing really good as well as Groupees and Humble... It's worth it just for Rock of Ages.

too many bundles D:

how is expeditions: conquistador? Been wondering for a few months now, I feel like it is always on sale and advertised but nobody plays it.

edit: thanks lurkerprime

Jawmuncher

Looking at my installed games on this external HDD. I's say about 60% of them are orange AKA they need an update. Steam sure isn't the future if you're traveling and only have crap internet. Really wish there was a way to disable steam from even checking if a game needs an update. Or you know allowing me to play it offline if I don't want to update. Wow a feature that consoles have over steam who would have though that would happen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-9F5BF9EA4E94EA05 - Taken by Scipius
Rock of Ages -- MB-36C93C0E742DE3F2 - Taken by Benedict
Master Reboot -- MB-5A2ECE1A15CDA49E - Taken by Turfster
Heli Heroes -- MB-BD3CEC607C5929F9 - Taken by tylergregg
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-8F34029074A0E85A - Taken by VikasNarula
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World -- MB-423C4ED7E0541E78 - Taken by fernandes
Expeditions: Conquistador -- MB-9DE774B296AAFC39 - Taken by Darkroronoa
Monday Night Combat -- MB-5684AE8C80CBC161 - Taken by natertots
Postal -- MB-3C04F5810515E4D4 - Taken by alr1ght
Bang Bang Racing -- MB-E204B9B8E8251634 - Taken by RS4-

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Because of the new bundle, I think I'm going to leave some thoughts for Master Reboot, as I played it a couple of months ago.

header_292x136.jpg

Master Reboot is a bit of an odd game. In both a obvious way and a non-obvious way. Essentially, the idea behind Master Reboot is that you are in a future where people can upload their memories, personality, and other traits into a cloud service, and then family and friends can visit these memories or download and install these peoples personalities into robotic shells to continue living with them if they desire. However, there was a crash in the system that caused the whole cloud service to have a reboot, which lost and corrupted some data. And now you play someone delving into the memories of someone with said corrupted data looking for something.

It's basically a walking simulator experience game, except not in a typical sense. The game is split-up into memories, with each memory being a stage. They're called memories, but they're more like surreal takes on memories, with a lot of odd and abstract imagery and logic. Each memory also is different, and not just in themes, but with what you do. Some are literal walking simulators, but others have elements like puzzles, or things you have to avoid or sneak past or else you'll die.

The stages have some good variety. Some are more relaxing, like this beach stage where you look for items with a metal detector. Others are a bit obtuse with what you must do, like this one amusement park stage you attend too. Some take on a horror tone, with creepy atmosphere and things trying to kill you.

On that note, my favorite stage, and something that was legitimately scary, was the plane memory. With memories in the game like a hospital, school, and graveyard, you'd think one of those would be the scariest stage (and they do have some creepy factor, to be sure), but the actual scariest stage was definitely the plane one. It scared me pretty bad a few times, and this is coming from someone who plays a lot of horror games.

That's the thing I think this game does best. Atmosphere. I think the people who will enjoy this game the most are those who like atmosphere and maybe some oddities in their games. It was a bit longer than I was anticipating, but I did like it. Not the best thing I've ever played, but I liked the variety of tasks and settings, even if the basic concept of the game's story was more interesting than the story that develops in the game. But I'd say worth checking out if you're into this kind of thing, and it being part of a bundle now means more may be able to peek into it.

Terra_Ex

Looking at my installed games on this external HDD. I's say about 60% of them are orange AKA they need an update. Steam sure isn't the future if you're traveling and only have crap internet. Really wish there was a way to disable steam from even checking if a game needs an update. Or you know allowing me to play it offline if I don't want to update. Wow a feature that consoles have over steam who would have though that would happen.

Well you can manually set each game not to check for updates (too much trouble for Valve to add a basic feature like setting these options en masse of course). However I've noticed in the past that Steam will randomly elect to ignore or reset the "do not update" setting when it feels like it so its still hit and miss in my experience. Best way to handle it imo is to put yourself in offline mode once everything's up to date.

how is expeditions: conquistador? Been wondering for a few months now, I feel like it is always on sale and advertised but nobody plays it.

edit: thanks lurkerprime
Incredible game, fantastic writing, random events, choices galore and really fun to play. Worth far more than the price of the bundle. It's the kind of game that sits in your backlog for years, then one day you randomly choose to play it and realise what you've been missing out for so long.

Annubis

I really liked Digital as well and honestly still think it's her best work. Hell I think both of the games she offers as free are better than Analogue. Haven't played Hate Plus yet so I can't comment on that one. I hope whatever she has planned next definitely takes more inspiration from her earlier works.

I really like "Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story" because it really illustrates the divide between generations on topics like the Internet and personal information.

That VN actually attacked my beliefs and made me think. I can't say the same for any other game.

The password protected picture is also a very interesting mechanic... for many a reason.

http://scoutshonour.com/donttakeitpersonallybabeitjustaintyourstory/

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ohh, Expeditions: Conquistador, nice :)

spares for GAF...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-9E2A703BBB06BFAC - Taken by tylergregg. 8 entrants total.
Rock of Ages -- MB-DDD79253E5BC71F7 - Taken by Purkake4. 24 entrants total.
Kaptain Brawe A Brawe New World -- MB-1297A4B7DA3A78C4 - Taken by Fox318. 11 entrants total.
Ring Runner Flight of the Sages -- MB-60F9F2A3A8870843 - Taken by Sub Zero. 15 entrants total.
POSTAL -- MB-E4230B8B7BEFC4E8 - Taken by trailmix16. 11 entrants total.
Bang Bang Racing -- MB-BD5EC79CE0FFB722 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.

t1393879551z1.png

some spares
ModBot 3 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Gun Monkeys- -- MB-B95388A02E7EE3CB - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total.
The Ship- -- MB-ED857349D3266BED - Taken by Saty. 3 entrants total.

t1393869742z1.png

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Only interested in Expeditions: Conquistador from that Bundle, which ironically isn't an adrenaline fueled game

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
btw, seeing Axis Game Factory in the bundle, why is stuff like FRAPS, Xpadder and other useful PC gaming software still not on steam?

i would have thought that these kind of software was a given back when steam started selling software

Jawmuncher

I really like "Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story" because it really illustrates the divide between generations on topics like the Internet and personal information.

That VN actually attacked my beliefs and made me think. I can't say the same for any other game.

The password protected picture is also a very interesting mechanic... for many a reason.

http://scoutshonour.com/donttakeitpersonallybabeitjustaintyourstory/

Yep I early enjoyed DTiPB as well. Since as you said it's message was a good one and was presented quite well. Those 2 free games are actually what got me into trying out VNs. Since I am still looking for more experiences akin to those.

Well you can manually set each game not to check for updates (too much trouble for Valve to add a basic feature like setting these options en masse of course). However I've noticed in the past that Steam will randomly elect to ignore or reset the "do not update" setting when it feels like it so its still hit and miss in my experience. Best way to handle it imo is to put yourself in offline mode once everything's up to date.

Yeah I have everything set to "Do Not Update" which alone is a pain since you have to do each game manually. But the game itself will still pop up and say it needs to be updated which is annoying. Do Not Update just prevents it from updating on it's own initiative. Steam still has to be a jerk and find that the game needs an update. As you said sticking to offline is the better idea But not having my time recorded while I play bothers the hell out of me.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm eyeing the weekly humble bundle... is Professional Farmer 2014 worth the $10?

I thought they were pretty cool as a way to get people to actually install and try some of the games they bought and made the sale events more interesting than "who's ready to GRIND CARDS?!?!!!"
Objectively, on game awareness they were probably the best idea, as I recall someone mentioning that when a game had one of those its sales skyrocketed (more than a regular sale), and as you mentioned it prompted people to actually install games. My gripe with them was that a bunch of those achievements were total bullshit :p

Incredible game, fantastic writing, random events, choices galore and really fun to play. Worth far more than the price of the bundle. It's the kind of game that sits in your backlog for years, then one day you randomly choose to play it and realise what you've been missing out for so long.

sounds rad, thanks for the impressions

Turfster

Daily Receiver 66% off
Weeklong
  • Blackguards 10% off
  • Waking Mars 80% off
  • Hexodius 66% off
  • Stronghold 3 Gold 50% off
  • Condemned Criminal Origins 75% off
  • Supreme Commander Gold 75% off
  • Greed 90% off
  • Making History The Calm & The Storm 75% off
  • Droplitz 50% off
  • Marc Ecko's Getting up 75% off
  • Unity of Command 75% off
  • Violett 50% off
  • Continue?9876543210 40% off
  • Truck Racer 70% off
  • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 50% off
  • The Inner World 50% off
  • Aliens vs Predator 75% off
  • Avencast 75% off
  • The Ironclads Collection 75% off

Daily Receiver 66% off
Weeklong
  • Blackguards xx% off
  • Waking Mars xx% off
  • Hexodius xx% off
  • Stronghold 3 xx% off
  • Condemned Criminal Origins xx% off
  • Supreme Commander Gold xx% off
  • Greed xx% off
  • Making History The Calm & The Storm xx% off
  • Droplitz xx% off
  • Marc Ecko's Getting up xx% off
  • Unity of Command xx% off
  • Violett xx% off
  • Continue?9876543210 xx% off
  • Truck Racer xx% off
  • Edna & Harvey: The Breakout xx% off
  • The Inner World xx% off
  • Aliens vs Predator xx% off
  • Avencast xx% off
  • The Ironclads Collection xx% off

Was Reciever in a bundle? I am 94% sure I have it somewhere but its not in my STEAM library.

Turfster

Greenmangaming has an Aliens deal.
  • ACM / loose DLC 75% off
  • ACM + season Pass 80% off
  • Aliens vs Predator 75% off
  • Aliens vs Predator Collection 75% off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom