• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I expect that Dawn of War complete pack to be on a bigger discount over the summer or winter sale? I see that it was $9.99 in 2012 and the cheapest it has been since then is either $19.99 or $34.99...

Turfster

Damn, Hydrophobia: Prophecy for 49 cents. Sorta hard to resist at that price. Anyone here played it?

I have.
It's not worth it.

Lemme quote my own Steam review.
My god, so much wasted potential. I finally managed to slog my way through this game.
Everything is obviously an afterthought, except for the water. Someone wrote a nice (for the time) fluid dynamics simulation and wanted to show it off, and this... thing... is the result. The idea of "a game where you are fighting and using the elements" is cool, but the execution leaves me wanting.
Bad gunplay, kinda terrible platforming and the most pointless "plot" ever, with some of the worst voice acting I've heard.
Glad I can finally delete it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A-Men is also half off for a week ($4.99). How deep does this week-long rabbit hole go? Thus far I need:

- A-men
- Truck Racer
- Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
- Continue?
- The Inner World

derExperte

So many discounts outside of the weekly/daily/midweek/weekend sales, we need another way to keep track.

Damn, Hydrophobia: Prophecy for 49 cents. Sorta hard to resist at that price. Anyone here played it?

Here, me. And I got some enjoyment out of it. Objectively the game's mostly rubbish of course but I'm a sucker for water physics and it's not unplayable.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh my, two write-ups in one day! I think most who may be interested in it may have already heard of it, but here, let me tell you my take on Condemned: Criminal Origins, which is on sale right now for a week at the price of $3.75.

header_292x136.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins features a story of a detective who ends up on the run due to strange circumstances. He's after a demented serial killer, and to catch him and clear his name, he must take to the underbelly of the city. However, something strange is going on. Homeless people that have taken to living in abandoned buildings and tunnels are acting needlessly aggressive and violent. But it's more than just than, something darker, more sinister is thriving in the unseen places of this city...

Featuring a rather well-done and satisfying melee-focused combat system (seriously, not exaggerating, it has one of the best melee combat systems in a first-person type of game in my opinion), you'll find yourself exploring 10 different locations through the game, and periodically using some gadgets and gizmos for forensic sciences to try and track your killer. But of course, the best parts of the game aren't the combat or the detective work (though neither are bad!).

The horror element in this game doesn't really fully reveal itself until the later half of the game, which I think is an interesting choice. The atmosphere in this game is fantastic for certain, but things start to get seriously creepy and a bit unpredictable about half-way in. It's interesting as most horror games like to sort of blow their load at the start and then fuel the survival element in the second half of the game with more and more difficult enemies. This game does get harder per say, but its horror element really starts to shine in its second half, and I even think there may be less enemies in the second half of the game as well.

There are some very clever scares here, but honestly most of the horror comes from a really dreary atmosphere the game has, which is particularly strong in three specific locations/chapters in the later half. The story is interesting, though in this titles case I think you'll end off with more questions than answers (which might be for the best, as the sequel shows).

It's not perfect. Most notably, the final chapter and boss are a bit disappointing (a shame as they're promising in concept but just not executed all that well), but the game is definitely worth checking out for any horror enthusiasts out there. Most of the title has excellent execution and atmosphere, and it truly is one of the best horror games to have released in the last 10 years.

Anteater

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit - $4.99
Need for Speed: Shift - $7.49
Need for Speed Undercover - $2.49

any of them good? haven't played a nfs since porsche unleashed

Jawmuncher

I bought it back on sale awhile back on XBL.
I personally didn't think it was that bad. Definitely worth the 50 cents.

But I like Aliens Colonial Marines so my opinions on games are usually not the best to listen to.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Can I expect that Dawn of War complete pack to be on a bigger discount over the summer or winter sale? I see that it was $9.99 in 2012 and the cheapest it has been since then is either $19.99 or $34.99...

Like you said, it's over a year since it went for $9.99 so I wouldn't bet my money on it. I'd bite on the GMG deal but the O61269-BIMBGU-JRDM3J coupon doesn't work for me

derExperte

Hot Pursuit (together with Most Wanted 2005) is imo the best and Undercover the worst NfS of the last 10 years. I also totally hated Shift.

Dr Dogg

Seams there's been some Sega related deal every week so far this year in one place or another.

Hot Pursuit if you like a Burnout street style (with free drive), Shift if you prefer closed circuits and Undercover if you're allergic to money and have to throw it away. Personally now that the bugs and performance hiccups have been somewhat fixed I'm quite partial to Most Wanted (2012) but that's only available on the dark side.

I think that $9.99 price was down to THQ's fire sale. Doubt we'll see it that low again for a very long time, if at all.

HoosTrax

I guess these are enough of a thing to warrant having their own category.

b3VzY6i.png

To be honest, they all look the same to me, although Mini Motor did control surprisingly well with an analog stick (I assume all of these originated on mobile). I think the ones I'm missing are Zombie Driver HD and Death Rally.

Nabs

Lots of EA deals this week.

Add these to the 75% off list:

Alice
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

HoosTrax

I found Shift 2 rather good. Really enjoyed the cockpit view and how naturally it worked without needing TrackIR. It's more of a sim type of racer than an arcade racer.

I did need to install a mod to tweak the physics though, to make controlling the cars manageable.

Lots of EA deals this week.
If you're not allowed to have your own publisher weekend, then might as well make your own I guess.

Vlad

Did you play it right at release or shortly after? Because they later released a big patch which improved controls and physics. Apart from the too convoluted last big puzzle I had no problems and ended up really loving the game.

I got it during the Humble Bundle that it was in and played it shortly afterwards, if that's any indication. At this point it's been long enough that I don't remember exactly what the issues were, but I got a definite sense of clunkiness from the game in the later parts.

The_Monk

Any GAFfer recently played Expeditions: Conquistador[/B? It's the only title I'm interested in that bundle since my country used to have a lot of conquistadores (eh) but I'm not sure if it is an enjoyable game. Thanks in advance for any impressions.

Also, for anyone picking Hot Pursuit, while I liked the game the very last race was really, really frustrating for me.

Grief.exe

Oh my, two write-ups in one day! I think most who may be interested in it may have already heard of it, but here, let me tell you my take on Condemned: Criminal Origins, which is on sale right now for a week at the price of $3.75.

header_292x136.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins features a story of a detective who ends up on the run due to strange circumstances. He's after a demented serial killer, and to catch him and clear his name, he must take to the underbelly of the city. However, something strange is going on. Homeless people that have taken to living in abandoned buildings and tunnels are acting needlessly aggressive and violent. But it's more than just than, something darker, more sinister is thriving in the unseen places of this city...

Featuring a rather well-done and satisfying melee-focused combat system (seriously, not exaggerating, it has one of the best melee combat systems in a first-person type of game in my opinion), you'll find yourself exploring 10 different locations through the game, and periodically using some gadgets and gizmos for forensic sciences to try and track your killer. But of course, the best parts of the game aren't the combat or the detective work (though neither are bad!).

The horror element in this game doesn't really fully reveal itself until the later half of the game, which I think is an interesting choice. The atmosphere in this game is fantastic for certain, but things start to get seriously creepy and a bit unpredictable about half-way in. It's interesting as most horror games like to sort of blow their load at the start and then fuel the survival element in the second half of the game with more and more difficult enemies. This game does get harder per say, but its horror element really starts to shine in its second half, and I even think there may be less enemies in the second half of the game as well.

There are some very clever scares here, but honestly most of the horror comes from a really dreary atmosphere the game has, which is particularly strong in three specific locations/chapters in the later half. The story is interesting, though in this titles case I think you'll end off with more questions than answers (which might be for the best, as the sequel shows).

It's not perfect. Most notably, the final chapter and boss are a bit disappointing (a shame as they're promising in concept but just not executed all that well), but the game is definitely worth checking out for any horror enthusiasts out there. Most of the title has excellent execution and atmosphere, and it truly is one of the best horror games to have released in the last 10 years.

Great write-up Dusk! Amazing read, thanks for sharing.

Arthea

I'm so nicely not buying anything until summer sales, that I hit 800 games already :(

Oh well, so how bad is Aliens vs true Aliens?

woops! I just received an email from GMG containing a steam key for South Park, which I ordered from them back in 2012, thing is, I cancelled the pre order when Ubisoft picked the game up, thinking I would get a Uplay key.

I got refunded as soon as I cancelled it but the game was still in my games list on their site, so I thought it would be funny if they still sent me a key!

I just sent them an email telling them about the mix up, Think they'll give me some store credit for my honesty? :p

And no, I'm not going to use it/ give it away, that would be wrong.
and I already got the game with tf2 keys a couple of weeks ago :)

Plus it's the Australian version, nobody wants that.

Anteater

I found Shift 2 rather good. Really enjoyed the cockpit view and how naturally it worked without needing TrackIR. It's more of a sim type of racer than an arcade racer.

I did need to install a mod to tweak the physics though, to make controlling the cars manageable.

If you're not allowed to have your own publisher weekend, then might as well make your own I guess.

yeah shift 2 looks kind of cool, but I guess I'll start with hot pursuit and buy shift 2 later when it's cheaper, also bought grid today so enough car games for me!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gabe Newell is doing his Reddit AMA at 1:00 PM PST today.

You guys have about 2 hours to get your questions ready.

legacyzero

Banned

header_292x136.jpg

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this game!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Unity of Command is finally 75% off yay

edit: shouldnt GMG give you 2 steam keys for South Park, one for the game and one for the pre order shit? thts usually how they do it, I only got the game one

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this game!

I'm not sure if the game was good as my experience with it was marred by dying 360s doing their RRoD business and the fact that the 360 game screwed me out of a 100% achievement completion even though I KNOW I got every collectible. It joins F.E.A.R. in the list of games that I have issues with because their achievements were glitched for me.

Does that make God the worst company in America?

Hahaha, not even close.
If you think EA is the worst company in America, you have a surprisingly narrow view of companies in America. :lol

derExperte

Gumboy Tournament is 0,19€. A record?

And Violet looks cute. But it also looks like something that'll end up in a bundle sooner than later. Hm.

Damn, was hoping undercover was good since it's 2 bucks, lol

You'll find people not liking Hot Pursuit. You'll find some defending Shift. The hate for Undercover is universal.

The Cowboy

In the AMA.

I just want some people to ask "Can you tell us if you plan to update the Steam desktop client to make it run better and not just have more features? - and can you also hire jshackles!" and for it to get a decent response.

Its long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom