• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
Condemned 2 should come to Steam as well :(

I'm not sure if the game was good as my experience with it was marred by dying 360s doing their RRoD business and the fact that the 360 game screwed me out of a 100% achievement completion even though I KNOW I got every collectible. It joins F.E.A.R. in the list of games that I have issues with because their achievements were glitched for me.

Which is why would should buy the Steam version for cheap and give it another shot!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just want someone to ask "Can you tell us if you plan to update the Steam desktop client to make it run better and not just have more features?" and for it to get a decent response.

I'm counting on you guys to drop my name.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I've been hoping for this, I actually have not played the sequel yet all the way through. I own both the original and its sequel on the 360, but as I played the original game on Steam, been holding out that maybe the sequel will come.

From what I've heard and seen, the sequel starts off fantastically, and is pretty great for a while, but the story goes completely off the rails, when they offer an 'explanation' to what's going on.

Which is why would should buy the Steam version for cheap and give it another shot!

I bought it... I just can't bring myself to play it because of the bad experience I had... I'm still not over it. :lol

I'm counting on you guys to drop my name.

They'd damn well better.
I would if I cared enough to be a part of this thing... but I'm too busy and not interested enough.

I'm counting on your too SteamGAF. Hook Jshizzles up!

legacyzero

Banned
I've been hoping for this, I actually have not played the sequel yet all the way through. I own both the original and its sequel on the 360, but as I played the original game on Steam, been holding out that maybe the sequel will come.

From what I've heard and seen, the sequel starts off fantastically, and is pretty great for a while, but the story goes completely off the rails, when they offer an 'explanation' to what's going on.

#SegaPCPorts?!

Yeah, the game is amazing, but yeah, about 3/4 of the way in, it becomes a first person shoote. But still, an amazing experience. Few games can deliver the kind of atmosphere that the Condemned franchise has.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Everyone should mention jshackles repeatedly

Quoting for truth.

I'm pretty certain that if I were given the opportunity to sit down and speak with "the powers that be" (if such a thing exists) at Valve for even 20 minutes, I would walk out with a job offer.

Hopefully some day I get the chance.

Firebrand

Alice is €20 (€5 with 75% off) now instead of €50 (€12,50)? Gosh.

Stronghold 3 discount but none on the other games... durnit.

Quoting for truth.

I'm pretty certain that if I were given the opportunity to sit down and speak with "the powers that be" (if such a thing exists) at Valve for even 20 minutes, I would walk out with a job offer.

Stand outside Valve with Half-Life 3 signs and maybe you'll get that chance. :p

jshackles

Link to the AMA(?)

EDIT: Looks like it wasn't properly submitted yet and the mods are deleting posts at this time. Should be up for real around 12:30 (about an hour and a half from now).

Anteater

Alice is pretty cool, I actually enjoy the combat, though I don't think it does anything spectacular, it controls well and the platforming was alright, game looks good.

Still haven't beaten it though, lol

HoosTrax

Well obviously they can't be the worst company in America so long as utilities/cable/internet providers exist.
I can't decide whose side to take in the whole Verizon extorting Netflix thing. I'm sure as hell not pleased about the Youtube-quality video I've been getting from my Netflix streams lately.

I guess I'm just happy that my Steam download rates haven't been affected (yet), so maybe Valve paid up...

Quoting for truth.

All you need to do is demonstrate in great detail how allowing you to update and improve the Client would make them EVEN MOAR MONEY1!!!!!!

Valve likes money. It's the way to their heart!

Oh my, two write-ups in one day! I think most who may be interested in it may have already heard of it, but here, let me tell you my take on Condemned: Criminal Origins, which is on sale right now for a week at the price of $3.75.

header_292x136.jpg

Condemned: Criminal Origins features a story of a detective who ends up on the run due to strange circumstances. He's after a demented serial killer, and to catch him and clear his name, he must take to the underbelly of the city. However, something strange is going on. Homeless people that have taken to living in abandoned buildings and tunnels are acting needlessly aggressive and violent. But it's more than just than, something darker, more sinister is thriving in the unseen places of this city...

Featuring a rather well-done and satisfying melee-focused combat system (seriously, not exaggerating, it has one of the best melee combat systems in a first-person type of game in my opinion), you'll find yourself exploring 10 different locations through the game, and periodically using some gadgets and gizmos for forensic sciences to try and track your killer. But of course, the best parts of the game aren't the combat or the detective work (though neither are bad!).

The horror element in this game doesn't really fully reveal itself until the later half of the game, which I think is an interesting choice. The atmosphere in this game is fantastic for certain, but things start to get seriously creepy and a bit unpredictable about half-way in. It's interesting as most horror games like to sort of blow their load at the start and then fuel the survival element in the second half of the game with more and more difficult enemies. This game does get harder per say, but its horror element really starts to shine in its second half, and I even think there may be less enemies in the second half of the game as well.

There are some very clever scares here, but honestly most of the horror comes from a really dreary atmosphere the game has, which is particularly strong in three specific locations/chapters in the later half. The story is interesting, though in this titles case I think you'll end off with more questions than answers (which might be for the best, as the sequel shows).

It's not perfect. Most notably, the final chapter and boss are a bit disappointing (a shame as they're promising in concept but just not executed all that well), but the game is definitely worth checking out for any horror enthusiasts out there. Most of the title has excellent execution and atmosphere, and it truly is one of the best horror games to have released in the last 10 years.

Note that the game is (from the first hours I have played) pretty great, it's a pain in the ass to get working properly on modern computers because of some USB polling bug. Or at least it was for me.

It's on my "need to finish" list next after Guacamelee and RE4HD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gabe Newell is doing his Reddit AMA at 1:00 PM PST today.

You guys have about 2 hours to get your questions ready.

My #1 question: Steam obviously favours giving away a lot to developers in order to encourage ecosystem buy-in. There's no charge for Steamworks. There's no bandwidth fee. No patch certification. Unlimited number of keys generated for developers. That's great. And it's spawned this great secondary ecosystem where vendors like Amazon, GreenManGaming, GameFly, bundle companies, and developers themselves sell Steam-redeemable keys outside Steam. In many cases the external vendors deliberately undercut Steam, which they can do because they have no costs associated with the transaction and thus they can give away margin at no risk. Surely at this point, with the size of the Steam community being what it is, some of these external purchases are actually money lost for Steam. What's the ROI on allowing this, how long can you keep it up, and has there ever been discussion inside the company to curb these kinds of incentives or try to get a piece of the pie externally.

Of course it wouldn't get answered.

In the mean time, he'll answer questions like:
Gab i no u like metalworking lol u got big nifes

Hey Garry would u rather fight one horse sized baby or THREE (GET IT!!!!!!!! NUMBER THREEEEEEE MEME REFERENCE U JUST GOT LOLLED BY MY LULZ) baby sized horses????

Do u like PS3

What's it like haven a company wif no boses!!!! Liol like teh infmates runin asylum am i right???

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I for one will be disappointed if someone doesn't work in a cake-is-a-lie reference.

Because, us gamers, right?

Grief.exe

My #1 question: Steam obviously favours giving away a lot to developers in order to encourage ecosystem buy-in. There's no charge for Steamworks. There's no bandwidth fee. No patch certification. Unlimited number of keys generated for developers. That's great. And it's spawned this great secondary ecosystem where vendors like Amazon, GreenManGaming, GameFly, bundle companies, and developers themselves sell Steam-redeemable keys outside Steam. In many cases the external vendors deliberately undercut Steam, which they can do because they have no costs associated with the transaction and thus they can give away margin at no risk. Surely at this point, with the size of the Steam community being what it is, some of these external purchases are actually money lost for Steam. What's the ROI on allowing this, how long can you keep it up, and has there ever been discussion inside the company to curb these kinds of incentives or try to get a piece of the pie externally.

Of course it wouldn't get answered.

This is one of the main reasons I would be worried if Valve ever became a publicly traded company. Stock holders would force them to maximize profits over growing the consumer base.

Link to the AMA(?)

EDIT: Looks like it wasn't properly submitted yet and the mods are deleting posts at this time. Should be up for real around 12:30 (about an hour and a half from now).

I think you'll either get hired today or GabeN will hate your name forever. if the later happens you can always do an AMA. If the first happens remind them that they still don't have a working Customer Support.

HoosTrax

Would it be weird to ask if he has considered gastric bypass? Seriously, I'd like to see him stick around for years to come, even after he retires, as an advisor to Valve.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think you'll either get hired today or GabeN will hate your name forever. if the later happens you can always do an AMA. If the first happens remind them that they still don't have a working Customer Support.

Jshackles gets hired at Valve -> Jshackles finally gets his long-coveted Steam copy of Top Gun -> Jshackles gets me hired as an external Steam Support staffer -> I finally get my long-coveted Steam copy of Wheelman -> I change my avatar to Vin Diesel's digital facsimile -> I change it back after 5 minutes to Saoirse Ronan.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
gaben have you thought about planting your seed in as many fine m'ladies as possible?

your essence must be passed down through the ages.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
still no one way heroics key on indieroyale, or one finger death punc on groupees (this one just came out granted)

Dusk Golem

jshackles

While customer service / support isn't my area of expertise by any means, if I were to work at Valve I would consider a big part of my job to be a "community liaison" where I could report to the people in charge of particular areas and say things like "Our customers really loathe our customer support. What can we do to make the experience better for them?". Then hopefully I'll be able to help brainstorm and/or even come up with some web tools to make the current support system better or easier to use (both internally and externally).

But surely that wouldn't be the first time they've heard that feedback...

Jshackles gets hired at Valve -> Jshackles finally gets his long-coveted Steam copy of Top Gun -> Jshackles gets me hired as an external Steam Support staffer -> I finally get my long-coveted Steam copy of Wheelman -> I change my avatar to Vin Diesel's digital facsimile -> I change it back after 5 minutes to Saoirse Ronan.

This seems like the only logical course of events.

derExperte

More games are being added to the weekly deals. Like Finding Teddy, Stealth Bastard, Chicken Shoot Gold (?) and the EA ones.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: JaseC's Increasingly Detailed Wheelman Fantasy--I actually wonder whether or not Steam employees can legally generate keys or add copies of third party games to people's accounts, absent employee/press accounts. Presumably the audit functionality built into any kind of contract developers sign with Steam would not entitle Valve to give away those keys. Like, I'm just wondering if an employee who wanted to give away delisted games even could do so.

Turfster

Surely the mascot cast will then be enlarged by Scorsese Romulan, a girl to offset the other guys!

RE: JaseC's Increasingly Detailed Wheelman Fantasy--I actually wonder whether or not Steam employees can legally generate keys or add copies of third party games to people's accounts, absent employee/press accounts. Presumably the audit functionality built into any kind of contract developers sign with Steam would not entitle Valve to give away those keys. Like, I'm just wondering if an employee who wanted to give away delisted games even could do so.

Oh you mean the legal ways. I assume JaseC would be blackmailing Ubisoft for keys against ability to publish stuff on Steam. Imagine him forcing Ubi to Greenlight their stuff just because they didn't give him a key.

Dr Dogg

Well, it's arguably the best hobo beat-up simulator out there.

which brings me to, I should continue it :eek:

Never has clattering a crazed hobo in the chops with a flashlight felt so good. Great weight of impact with every hit. The crime scene sections were better in 2 but the second half on the first gets really dark where as the sequel just goes bonkers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Jshackles' little run around with Support regarding Top Gun would suggest "no". He was asked to submit photos of the packaging but after he did was just told to talk to the publisher; I think the initial intention was to supply a key but then whoever was handling the ticket discovered or was otherwise informed that this was a legal impossibility.

Dusk Golem

According to Wikipedia, the game is a freeware game. They also edited out more explicit content for English release.

I sincerely hope you guys don't buy this.

I need to remember, but there was a new addition to the game that updated quite a few things. I have the game on GamersGate as it was insanely cheap this one time.

Speaking of which, just checked and they had Steam keys for the game already. That was quick of the developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom