• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Yes, obviously. And unlocked stuff. And went through plot points. The game saves every 45 seconds or so. But I guess since the game hard-locked my PC, Steam Cloud didn't sync and when I launched the game it didn't give me one of those save conflict dialogue boxes so tough shit for me I guess.

Similar thing happened to me with DmC. Few days after beating the game I figured I should check out the harder difficulties and such. Turns out Steam Cloud had eaten my latest saves and synced in one that was from few days earlier, several chapters before the last boss. Never got back into the game after that.

Haven't trusted Steam Cloud after that.

It's not quite on the level of JaceC's AC4 problems though. I don't know if I could play through that much AC4 again.

Turfster

THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!!
Fucking. Chase. Sequence. What. WHY?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"The architect, murdered!" Yes, the guy hung himself hours ago. YOU WILL DO WELL IN THE GUARD.

Turfster

The one on the rooftops?

Yep. Hold shift+forward for 30 seconds.
Protip, devs: This adds fuck-all immersion.
It might as well have been a totally automatic cutscene.

Edit: I also like how A MANHUNT still makes me "undetected", with 0 suspicions raised.
Of course, I'd have punched through my monitor if their bullshit plot crap had caused me to lose my ghost... altho it'll probably be another opportunist because OH NO I PICKED UP LOOT.

Knurek

Haven't trusted Steam Cloud after that.

Why would anyone use cloud saves is beyond me.
If you desperately need a save backup, just use Game Save Manager and set it up to upload daily/weekly to either your webserver or Dropbox or whatever.

jediyoshi

Why would anyone use cloud saves is beyond me.

Are you downplaying the idea of picking up your progress while playing on another machine? I'm too lazy to set up another program to automate that with other cloud storage services I already have, so when a low impact game doesn't have steam cloud, it drops on my priority.

I'm playing Demon's Souls for the first time to warm up for Dark Souls II. My God, dat slowdown! I really wish that this was ported to Steam after Dark as the slowdown and loading times really break up the flow of gameplay. Other than that, it's vintage Souls action so I'm, relatively, happy. Though, 3-1 is scaring the living daylights out of me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh didnt see this was added to indiegala, have at it

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Restaurant Empire II -- MB-CCF9E71A1AB09E3F - Taken by topyy. 4 entrants total.

t1393889271z1.png

sibarraz

Banned
So basically you just pay for an english translation? Alright.

Yes.

It has all the stupid limitations that fighting maker has, the combo meter appear next to the character, if you want to go to the menu screen you had to press start and then the 4 buttons of the game. Same if you want practice mode.

Is sad, when they revealed the game for xbla some time ago I was hyped since the game promised lots of neat features, since the base game is awesome

Caerith

I'm playing Demon's Souls for the first time to warm up for Dark Souls II. My God, dat slowdown! I really wish that this was ported to Steam after Dark as the slowdown and loading times really break up the flow of gameplay. Other than that, it's vintage Souls action so I'm, relatively, happy. Though, 3-1 is scaring the living daylights out of me.
3-1 is really fun once you learn the trick.
Jailers don't hear very well and turn very slowly
, so just
wait out of sight for them to turn around, then sprint up behind them and backstab

Are you downplaying the idea of picking up your progress while playing on another machine? I'm too lazy to set up another program to automate that with other cloud storage services I already have, so when a low impact game doesn't have steam cloud, it drops on my priority.

How often do you find yourself switching from one machine to another? I'm curious what the demographic of "I only have one PC" users is.

Garcia

Check out BasketBelle (still not greenlit), The Real Texas, The Sea Will Claim Everything or Sokobond.

Much appreciated! So many promising games out there.

I'm sure both of you have already heard of FRACT OSC, but for those who don't: you should definitely check it out. It looks sick! :O

If you want to truly go vintage you should play the Kings Field series.

THIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!!
Fucking. Chase. Sequence. What. WHY?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"The architect, murdered!" Yes, the guy hung himself hours ago. YOU WILL DO WELL IN THE GUARD.

I'm pretty sure I'd be ranting and raging the same way you do right now, but I won't be playing Thief anytime soon, lol.

Holy moly this thread has exploded today :eek:. Time to catch up

Just wait until tomorrow when HIB 12 gets released, xD.

jediyoshi

How often do you find yourself switching from one machine to another? I'm curious what the demographic of "I only have one PC" users is.

It's a PC/laptop switch off, so realistically it only affects lighter games during the weekdays. It's a big ol bummer when I'm staring at a game and I know my progress won't tie into my main machine's though. The Banner Saga was the last one that bit me bad whenever I forgot to transfer saves.

Yep. Hold shift+forward for 30 seconds.
Protip, devs: This adds fuck-all immersion.
It might as well have been a totally automatic cutscene.

Edit: I also like how A MANHUNT still makes me "undetected", with 0 suspicions raised.
Of course, I'd have punched through my monitor if their bullshit plot crap had caused me to lose my ghost... altho it'll probably be another opportunist because OH NO I PICKED UP LOOT.

Well that seems to be AAA gaeming for you. Where the Oscar worthy script is all important and they just want the game player [sic] to just passively go along for the ride. Fuck the game player's internal experience unless it is congruent with their 'art'.

You may extrapolate from this that I am not a fun of big budget Hollywood movies either. You would be correct.

Turfster

Well that seems to be AAA gaeming for you. Where the Oscar worthy script is all important and they just want the game player [sic] to just passively go along for the ride. Fuck the game player's internal experience unless it is congruent with their 'art'.

And now it's time for the obligatory "shit crumbles under you as you move forward" section... the first of at least two, if that trailer was to be believed.

Edit: Are you fucking kidding me? A section where you can't see anything and take constant damage? Fuck. You. whoever decided this would be a good idea.
This better not impact on my "take no damage in the entire game" run, is all I'm saying.

Garcia

Edit: This post is now obsolete. I'm picking up the game tonight.

Guys, I'm still on the fence whether or not to grab FTL.

I have watched a couple of Let's Play videos so I know what to expect, but I've also read several (in-depth) negative reviews that claim the game relies way too much on the random difficulty of most enemy encounters and how it actually makes the game not too enjoyable in the long run.

For those around here who have put several hours into it, would you recommend it?

The_Monk

I have watched a couple of Let's Play videos so I know what to expect, but I've also read several (in-depth) negative reviews that claim the game relies way too much on the random difficulty of most enemy encounters and how it actually makes the game not too enjoyable in the long run.

For those around here who have put several hours into it, would you recommend it?

woo and indeed hoo, give this man some words of wisdom!

Garcia

woo and indeed hoo, give this man some words of wisdom!

You know? I must admit I was deceived by the dark side.

I double checked on Steam, went to the community hub and now I'm browsing all the dozens upon dozens of positive reviews coming from people who have put over 20+ hours into it. . .

My first reaction was to go and check some negative Metacritic revs, but I'm more trusting of people who have played the game long enough to list all the positive and negatives withouth any bias.

I'm buying the game. :D

Copons

This is probably the first time I hear about FTL negative reviews... :O

Look: you could watch every video and read every review, but still you wouldn't have the slightest grasp of what the game is about really.

Yes: it's all random. Yes: this means you'll die a lot even if it's not your fault.
Point is: none of this stuff matters at all.
The game is funny as hell, a pleasure to play, deeper than you could even imagine just looking at its screenshots, and last but not least it's fucking addictive.

I've only finished it once, at easy, after almost 40 hours, and not a single time I've felt I've been deceived or tricked or screwed by the randomness of the game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Buy it. I cannot recommend it enough. Yes, it is random. But the randomness adds to the experience, no play through will ever be exactly the same. There's an easy mode that I would personally recommend playing on for a while before you move up to normal mode. It will help you get acclimatized to the game.

Plus there's a free update coming in the next few months that will add even more content to the game. Buy it now while it's on sale.

Edit: Never mind, and I hope you enjoy the game!

Edit: The following post is now obsolete. I'm picking up the game tonight.

It's among the best games to have come out in the recent years.

If you like sci-fi bullshit you need to own it, more or less.

Turfster

Fuck it. You win, Eidos Montreal.
I'll take the health damage and just hope it doesn't impact the achievement, because fuck whoever thought mapping rotating a thumbstick should be mapped to mousing like a man being electrocuted to turn those valve switches.

And now it's time for the obligatory "shit crumbles under you as you move forward" section... the first of at least two, if that trailer was to be believed.

Edit: Are you fucking kidding me? A section where you can't see anything and take constant damage? Fuck. You. whoever decided this would be a good idea.
This better not impact on my "take no damage in the entire game" run, is all I'm saying.

It's almost as if they chucked in all the fun things that the kids like, slapped on the name from a pre-existing but dormant franchise to give it a guaranteed audience and crapped it out there! :eek:

Good man! :D

Well done SteamGAF for putting Garcia on the road to righteousness <3.

Oh and this is academic Garcia since you have decided to grab it but I have put over 200 hours into it and I honestly would have to think long and hard to come up with a negative. If you take to it anything like many of us have then it will come to hold a very special place in your heart! :D

Guys, I'm still on the fence whether or not to grab FTL. [...]

Good choice! FTL is incredibly well executed.

Okay, Big Bo from Binary Domain is a great character, he have such great expressions!

I'm replaying Binary Domain right now, and I must agree. Big Bo is a great and memorable character. The setting and other characters are well done, but Big Bo is on another level.

Binary Domain is the best "forced co-op" game I've ever played. Such a shame the chance of a sequel is nil.

Turfster

It's almost as if they chucked in all the fun things that the kids like, slapped on the name from a pre-existing but dormant franchise to give it a guaranteed audience and crapped it out there! :eek:
You know where to go for pictorial evidence of my rants ;)

Oh good, time for another WTF HOW AND WHY IS THIS CHARACTER HERE cutscene.

You know where to go for pictorial evidence of my rants ;)

Oh good, time for another WTF HOW AND WHY IS THIS CHARACTER HERE cutscene.

I do indeed :) and have been enjoying them immensely! I just replied to some of your replies in fact :p. That game is soooo not my sort of game lol

I hope the venting helps! :) *internet hug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom