• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just played Major Mayhem.

Yeah. Why is Valve allowing straight-up mobilephone-games on their plattform and how could such a Game even be greenlit?
It still has the finger-icons...

So I got a PS4 recently, and of course had to test the Dualshock 4 on PC. Seems to work great with the DS4 to Xinput wrapper, but I have a small problem. So Steam BPM automatically detects the PS4 controller, which is cool and all, but since I need the Xinput wrapper running for games I'm getting double inputs. Is there a way to fix this?

Kadin

Same reason that it doesn't take them off your wishlist, I suppose. I think it's based off the steam transaction db... and since you didn't make the purchase through steam, it doesn't push that over to the activity feed.

It only seems to show games bought on the steam store and gifts redeemed, no idea why. I agree would be nice if they included redeemed keys as well to the feed.
Ah okay that makes sense, thanks for the info.

Grief.exe

So I got a PS4 recently, and of course had to test the Dualshock 4 on PC. Seems to work great with the DS4 to Xinput wrapper, but I have a small problem. So Steam BPM automatically detects the PS4 controller, which is cool and all, but since I need the Xinput wrapper running for games I'm getting double inputs. Is there a way to fix this?

The latest update allows you to turn off the direct input detection, and only allow Windows to recognize it as an xinput controller.

At least that is what I have gathered from the RE4 thread.

Grief.exe

This is beyond frustrating

oPfULOg.png

The port has some issues but, overall, it is very solid. We will see what Capcom will push out in the way of patches, but I am quite impressed by the quality of this one.

You could easily argue that the port is very barebones, but I don't know what people expect for a game that is a decade old.

Mainly people voting it down who don't think it should have tank controls. Adding in modern controls would ruin the balance of the game entirely, which would impact the overall feeling of tension during encounters.

Kadin

oPfULOg.png
That's ridiculous. I'll admit that I hoped for a tad better in the HD department but it's nothing to knock the game for. It's $19.99 for one of the best games to ever grace a console and this updated version is a good addition to replace the terrible (PC) port they did prior.

The sad thing is that if I was coming in to the game blind and saw those thumbs down, it would make an impression on me for sure. With so many games out now and so many options, I honestly look at that stuff and make a quick decision sometimes. And that sucks...

oPfULOg.png

The port has some issues but, overall, it is very solid. We will see what Capcom will push out in the way of patches, but I am quite impressed by the quality of this one.

You could easily argue that the port is very barebones, but I don't know what people expect for a game that is a decade old.

Mainly people voting it down who don't think it should have tank controls. Adding in modern controls would ruin the balance of the game entirely, which would impact the overall feeling of tension during encounters.

People are idiots and will find anything to bitch about.
Look at some of these games that people decide to go give 0s to on metacritic.

That's ridiculous. I'll admit that I hoped for a tad better in the HD department but it's nothing to knock the game for. It's $19.99 for one of the best games to ever grace a console and this updated version is a good addition to replace the terrible port they did prior.

The sad thing is that if I was coming in to the game blind and saw those thumbs down, it would make an impression on me for sure. With so many games out now and so many options, I honestly look at that stuff and make a quick decision sometimes. And that sucks...

I was fine with the PS3 HD version... but apparently I'm more forgiving/lenient and less elitist than a lot of people, I guess. :p
That said, you're absolutely right. I went to check out the Grid 2 page when it was on sale and saw an overwhelming # of thumbs down and most of them said "Grid 1 is better" so I didn't buy it.

oPfULOg.png

I wouldn't worry too much, it's RE4 man!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Tick "Hide DS4 Controller" on the Scpserver screen.

a 0 counterbalances the same fanboys that blindly put 10 on everything.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Example from my metacritic searches recently:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii

244 negative and most of them likely 0 for whatever reason. I'm not even a Treyarch fan and I can tell you the game doesn't deserve a 0.

I generally try to ignore the positive reviews of a product I'm interested in and focus on the negatives to see if anything is a showstopper for me. Seeing bullshit like this is just infuriating (and it's the same with games like RE4 as Grief just showed and RE6 and tons of other AAA titles that people get vindictive over).

I really wish Scarlet.Crush and Inhexster would combine efforts...
DS4 Tool was dropping inputs too bad so I have everything configured via SCP DS3 server now... and it works great... but I'd love to see the extra options available to me.

legacyzero

Banned

oPfULOg.png

Holy shit! I havn't even had the chance to really play yet (Still installing all my games to my new HDD)

Tellaerin

I've never been a fan of tank controls, and I feel that it's a lousy way to add tension to a game (controlling a character that deliberately handles like a truck is more aggravating than anything for me - it's like trying to play a game with oven mitts on), but I'm not going to downvote a HD remake for being faithful to the original. That seems kind of ridiculous.

DocSeuss

If a game needs BAD CONTROLS to be tense, the game wasn't tense enough in all the areas that mattered to begin with.

Bad controls are bad controls. There is no justifying them. At all.

Grief.exe

I've never been a fan of tank controls, and I feel that it's a lousy way to add tension to a game (controlling a character that deliberately handles like a truck is more aggravating than anything for me - it's like trying to play a game with oven mitts on), but I'm not going to downvote a HD remake for being faithful to the original. That seems kind of ridiculous.

If a game needs BAD CONTROLS to be tense, the game wasn't tense enough in all the areas that mattered to begin with.

There definitely is in this case, unless you are advocating redoing the entire game?

Everything is designed around that particular control scheme, something that became painfully obvious once I started actually playing. From the way you aim your weapons, to the way enemies move/react/attack, to the boss design, even the level design. If you were to add in modern controls, then it would completely ruin all of the above.

DocSeuss

There definitely is in this case, unless you are advocating redoing the entire game?

Everything is designed around that particular control scheme, something that became painfully obvious once I started actually playing. From the way you aim your weapons, to the way enemies move/react/attack, to the boss design, even the level design. If you were to add in modern controls, then it would completely ruin all of the above.

I would argue that the above is not good if it's built around a tank/bad control scheme. It could have the best graphics, best story, best sound design, and best animations on the planet, but if it has bad controls, regardless of whether that choice was intentional or not, it's a bad game.

I don't mean to get down on a game I haven't played (can't afford), but bad controls have never not meant a bad game in the past. Maybe RE4 is the exception that proves the rule, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from. I'm extremely skeptical, and that will remain the case until I've been able to play the game, and I can't justify $20 now. I just blew the last of my money on a tank of gas, Spring Break means I'll be coming in half-a-paycheck short, and my boss, who thinks she's doing everyone a favor by "giving us more time to study," has just halved my hours.

Back to my stresscave.

RE4s controls aren't bad.

Tank = bad

Like I said, totally possible that RE4 is the exception that proves the rule, but I feel pretty comfortable denouncing tank controls as bad. Haven't had a game yet that proved otherwise.

Grief.exe

I don't mean to get down on a game I haven't played (can't afford), but bad controls have never not meant a bad game in the past.

Sorry Doc, but you should play it before you continue. The controls are, surprisingly, quite good and, as I said earlier, fit the game perfectly.

The latest update allows you to turn off the direct input detection, and only allow Windows to recognize it as an xinput controller.

At least that is what I have gathered from the RE4 thread.

If there is a way, I'm not seeing it? Is there a link to the post of whoever said that?

Yeah, but then this only makes it recognizable as a direct input controller. I need the Xinput to play games. I would then have to minimize the game and then un-hide the controller, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. Unless I'm missing something here?

FloatOn

not to crap on the glory of ultimate steam re4 but I'm just going to go on record and say that I played the definitive edition of re4 back when I played it on wii.

that pointer control was so good. when I eventually get around to owning the steam version I may just buy a wii remote and nunchuck to get that kind of control scheme going again.

Stick of Truth is looking better by the minute but I have no room in my budget. Time to go back to ignoring my 600+ Steam backlog...

DocSeuss

Sorry Doc, but you should play it before you continue. The controls are, surprisingly, quite good and, as I said earlier, fit the game perfectly.

Which is why I don't intend to say anything else until I have. I've explained my position as best I could and made allowances for the possibility I might be wrong, as well as expressed severe doubt that this is actually true.

Remember when people said the same of Silent Hill 2?

Nah, that was just a bad game.

Except they aren't bad. You need to remember that RE4 is a game from 2005. For the time, the controls were quite amazing. And even still, I'd argue that they're good enough today.

Like Grief said, changing the controls now would break the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Which is why I don't intend to say anything else until I have. I've explained my position as best I could and made allowances for the possibility I might be wrong, as well as expressed severe doubt that this is actually true.

Remember when people said the same of Silent Hill 2?

Nah, that was just a bad game.
Silent Hill 2 has directional controls on PC which work far better with preset camera work

Grief.exe

not to crap on the glory of ultimate steam re4 but I'm just going to go on record and say that I played the definitive edition of re4 back when I played it on wii.

that pointer control was so good. when I eventually get around to owning the steam version I may just buy a wii remote and nunchuck to get that kind of control scheme going again.

60 FPS and downsampling though. Other than a few minor quirks, the majority of which are due to be fixed in a patch, this version is the current definitive standard for RE games.

Changing to a different control scheme would fundamentally undermine the entire game. I'm not being hyperbolic here, the minute you actually play the game you will see what I am referring to.

I hate tank controls under normal circumstances but RE4 controls gloriously. As it turns out I don't inherently dislike tank controls so much as the goofball cameras other games use with tank controls to make it miserably clumsy.

RE4 on the otherhand has combat that is deliberate and designed around it, so if you just add the typical genre controls and make it another game that you circle strafe shoot guys all the time, it loses all meaning.

Kadin

And let's not forget that the ability to quickly make a 180 degree turn via a quick button combo makes a world of difference as well. I'm not normally a big fan of the tank controls but in RE4, they work brilliantly. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Just because you don't like the control scheme doesn't make it bad. It works within the game perfectly. There's a reason RE4 is considered to be one of the greatest games in recent history.

Does RE4 have bad controls?

Nope.

Not bad at all, i like them.

Cheers!

RE4s controls aren't bad.

Exactly.

Tank = bad

Like I said, totally possible that RE4 is the exception that proves the rule, but I feel pretty comfortable denouncing tank controls as bad. Haven't had a game yet that proved otherwise.

Here's the problem. Generically stereotyping a game based on your dislike of a particular control scheme is a good way to miss out on fantastic games. Hell, dismissing any game because of a trope or random internet outcries is generally a bad idea in the first place.

If I had dismissed P4G because I consider games with overly heavy socialization aspects/simulations to be bad, I wouldn't have played one of the best JRPGs in recent history.

People who dismissed Guacamelee because some people exaggerated the amount of "meme" spoofs/references in it is just tragic.

I'm not a fan of the wiimote for anything, but that seems to be a popular opinion.

Except they aren't bad. You need to remember that RE4 is a game from 2005. For the time, the controls were quite amazing. And even still, I'd argue that they're good enough today.

Imagine porting the RE6 controls into RE4 (or even RE5)... that'd be an interesting mod to see. :lol

Oh man these "stealth" sequences lived up to the hype in Castlevania LOS2.

Luckily there are only about 4 in the whole game, probably took around 20 minutes to finish them all. Doesn't really excuse their presence since they're terrible and out of place but luckily they're a very small part of the game.

And I love Resident Evil 6's wide barrage of movement options but the tank controls really do work for how Resident Evil 4 is designed. The main problem with a lot of the older survival horror games were the camera angles more than the controls.

Patiently awaiting Southpark. Yea, patient is not the word for it.

Any chance someone on here can toss me an invite to the NeoGaf Group on steam?

//Got the invite, TY.

FloatOn

I'm not a fan of the wiimote for anything, but that seems to be a popular opinion.

most of the waggle games I played on wii were really annoying but RE4 Wii edition nailed it. The pointer controls made the third person shooting oddly similar to a light gun game in that way. Only that you actually were able to control your character on screen.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
YAY South Park unlocked! :D

But you are wrong, RE4 controls beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom