• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think VAC cares whether you unlock fps and cap it to 30 or unlock 60 fps?

I dunno, but that was what the rumoured bans on GFWL were supposedly for. I'm not honestly sure how having someone play a game at 30fps while their opponent plays at 60fps affects the dynamics/gameplay via network. It's possible that data and inputs from the 60fps player may not translate properly to the game running at half speed on the other player's pc.

This would actually be pretty cool, having Dark Souls on steam come standard with DSfix, DScfix and DSmfix would be awesome.

And Vampire: Bloodlines with the unofficial patch.

DSfix, sure. Don't know what one of the others is, but the one that makes it so you can co-op with friends is bullshit and against the core design of the game -- so that shouldn't be standard anywhere. :p

Dr Dogg

Confession time. I actually don't mind playing vanilla Dark Souls PC at all, the only thing making me use DSFix is the intro logo skipping. Having to go through Bamco's stupid Sonic Drive-In logo every time I want to reload a save file is enough to make me loopy. That's the one aspect that's somehow not in parity with the console version.

For me even if I didn't have a powerful setup I'd still use DSFix for 2 things. Having the game render to my native monitor resolution and unlocking the framerate and setting it to 30fps to stop the drops in Blightown and at bonfires and fog gates. Those are the 2 major flaws From should have addressed themselves otherwise the port itself is ok, not great but not the bad job that some people like to make it out to be.

For me even if I didn't have a powerful setup I'd still use DSFix for 2 things. Having the game render to my native monitor resolution and unlocking the framerate and setting it to 30fps to stop the drops in Blightown and at bonfires and fog gates. Those are the 2 major flaws From should have addressed themselves otherwise the port itself is ok, not great but not the bad job that some people like to make it out to be.

I liked you already, but this makes me like you more. :)

JustinBB7

DSfix, sure. Don't know what one of the others is, but the one that makes it so you can co-op with friends is bullshit and against the core design of the game -- so that shouldn't be standard anywhere. :p

Connection and Mouse/Keyboard fix.

Connection just makes it easier to play with your GFWL friends, but not exclusive. It just puts them first in the que of people who see your sign.

Nabs

I dunno, but that was what the rumoured bans on GFWL were supposedly for. I'm not honestly sure how having someone play a game at 30fps while their opponent plays at 60fps affects the dynamics/gameplay via network. It's possible that data and inputs from the 60fps player may not translate properly to the game running at half speed on the other player's pc.

Summoning is kind of broken thanks to GFWL and that mod just fixes it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's what I did but I guess it's strict about the TM marks. And thank you for the link. Sadly they're all Russian copies or the seller wants an outrageous 30 keys.

The game has the gifting/trading restriction applied, so gift copies purchased by users in South America and Eastern Europe are region-locked at the activation level, and circumventing this isn't something I'd recommend since, as you're dealing with copies bought via Steam directly, it technically falls under the umbrella of using a VPN to skirt region-specific pricing on Steam itself. Your best bet would be Nuuvem, but you're still looking at around USD$42.65.

That's what I did but I guess it's strict about the TM marks. And thank you for the link. Sadly they're all Russian copies or the seller wants an outrageous 30 keys.

I missed out on the deal too but if Ubisoft does the same discounting as it did with Assassin's Creed 4 and other games there may be a chance to get it around $30 not too long from now.

Could also try Steam Game Swap on Reddit or dispenser.tf (automated service for sellers) .

Be wary though obviously as there's the region lock now.

Edit: Dispenser.tf has listings for only 9 keys, so I'd presume that they're probably region locked copies that people are trying to get rid of - so i wouldn't recommend that.

I would recycle them.

Well I can put the paper in the recycling bin and would keep the cases as they might come in handy at some point. I suppose I could give the discs to my father to help [not] scare off birds in his vegetable garden.

Actually they are still playable without having to tie them to a Steam account so if you've got a CEX by you they might take them...

and give you about 20p for the lot. Plus I'm not too fond of the clientèle in my local one.

Oh. Not worth going into Chav Exchange and gettting my ears violated by their ridiculously loud and crap music though :(.

1) Find a beach, possibly a sexually appealing one
2) Bury the copies
3) Wait

I have already copied Milamber's desktop style. That's far enough for me!

inm8num2

Random question - on pages for older humble purchases, they still give you the option of increasing your pledge and getting BTA content.

Does that mean you can buy in when a bundle is live and up your pledge to get the other games any time later? I didn't think so and thought it's just an oversight on Humble's part to remove the text about getting x, y, and z if you BTA, but thought to check first.

Dr Dogg

I liked you already, but this makes me like you more. :)

Hahaha I think the thing is that while PC gaming has been growing again these last few years it's also attracted a crowd with some rather odd tolerances. Go to any PC related gaming site in the last 5 or so years and there will be someone complaining about how a game won't work on their store bought Dell at max settings and then declaring said game a "shit port".

I miss the DOS days. There was no internet to help you out then if you encountered technical issues so you either had to be knowledgeable yourself, know someone in your circle of friends who was, have the willingness to learn or you were shit out of luck. Though having to send in those cards to publishers to be notified of patches is something I'm glad is a thing of the past.

Hahaha I think the thing is that while PC gaming has been growing again these last few years it's also attracted a crowd with some rather odd tolerances. Go to any PC related gaming site in the last 5 or so years and there will be someone complaining about how a game won't work on their store bought Dell at max settings and then declaring said game a "shit port".

I miss the DOS days. There was no internet to help you out then if you encountered technical issues so you either had to be knowledgeable yourself, know someone in your circle of friends who was, have the willingness to learn or you were shit out of luck. Though having to send in those cards to publishers to be notified of patches is something I'm glad is a thing of the past.

I'm dating myself here, probably, but I remember begging my mom for a PC because I wanted to play Doom II.

When I got the PC finally, it wasn't top of the line... and it definitely didn't have enough RAM to run DOOM 2 from within win 3.1. So I had to have a boot disk -- I remember ending up taking the PC back to the store and having one of the techs help fix the boot disks so that I could have sound in Doom 2.

Dolor

Dark Souls got updated to show stats now, the only reason you would show stats is for Steam achievements and leaderboards. :)

http://steamdb.info/app/211420/#section_history

I want this so bad. I bought Dark Souls for a friend this week and it immediately got screwed up because of GFWL, and we didn't have time to fix it before he went back to South America. It's just a cancer on PC gaming.

How well does this play with a pad? All those loot games look to be just made with gamepad in mind, but most of them support only m+kb.

This is a great game, and it plays pretty well on a gamepad. I played one of the challenge missions with a gamepad exclusively and had no trouble. I might play the next one only with a gamepad. The only niggle I had was that any action stopped his movement so I had to stop mashing X to move which isn't the case with a mouse click (as it moves or hacks).

Fox318

Now that all the codes have gone to good fellow GAFer's homes backlogs, what should I do with the actual physical copies?

Are they of any use to anyone or should I just bin them?

I'm loathe to waste anything so any bright ideas would be welcome :).

8vkEfgo.jpg

Nearly half a million sales of Humble Bundle 11. Hopefully that translates into some nice money for the devs (total money raised at $2.3M)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom