• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I'm dating myself here, probably, but I remember begging my mom for a PC because I wanted to play Doom II.

When I got the PC finally, it wasn't top of the line... and it definitely didn't have enough RAM to run DOOM 2 from within win 3.1. So I had to have a boot disk -- I remember ending up taking the PC back to the store and having one of the techs help fix the boot disks so that I could have sound in Doom 2.

That brings back memories of my old 386 that lasted a bit longer than it should have. 33Mhz with 4Mb of ram, a massive 20Mb HDD and a at the time 1x CD drive complete with disc caddy. Literally had a different autoexec.bat file for everything I wanted to play.

Folks these days don't know they're born with the convince of Steam and the such like. You try faffing around with SoundBlaster settings for Rebel Assault, that took ages to get working correctly and was such a bitter disappointment when it did work.

Fox318

GAF's 2013 Steam GOTY, don't sleep on this opportunity!

iZCMx4tQzPQTY.png

Wrong

KKBALaC.png

That brings back memories of my old 386 that lasted a bit longer than it should have. 33Mhz with 4Mb of ram, a massive 20Mb HDD and a at the time 1x CD drive complete with disc caddy. Literally had a different autoexec.bat file for everything I wanted to play.

Folks these days don't know they're born with the convince of Steam and the such like. You try faffing around with SoundBlaster settings for Rebel Assault, that took ages to get working correctly and was such a bitter disappointment when it did work.
My windows 3.11 Packard bell would require a boot disk to free up enough memory to run doom 1 & 2. It also played the duke nukem 3d demo perfectly so when my mom took me to best buy I picked up a copy of the game. Weirdly enough, even thought the demo worked the full game didn't. So I just played the demos/games that were on the cd like Wacky Racers and Duke 1 & 2 until I could return (yes, back then you could return PC games) the game and I got killer instincts with the credit. Now, I have a free version of duke 3d on my phone and although it's nearly unplayable I'll never delete it, hah.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Euro Truck Simulator -- MB-73045D5A682F7E41 - Taken by Evrain. 16 entrants total.
Trainz Simulator 12 -- MB-E5B092F380235E40 - Taken by Mugatu. 4 entrants total.

t1393971622z1.png

Woo Huniepop made it! More dating games for me on Steam!
tumblr_lnxt81Nikg1qktqch.gif

Today's Greenlighted games include:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576748110615602353/35E2CBAFCA7E9BD47C6572D94700687A98CA7073/268x268.resizedimage[IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/452907883059068059/AB21F8A071B54CAA5E403D3556AE652C4727FEA4/268x268.resizedimage[IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/886382122660751690/1D7BD9C4D0F62D862EA47E99EC20270078D7F62D/268x268.resizedimage[IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3336341815834617793/132B8A1E9C9669E155234B062B71A9D497DCB7D9/268x268.resizedimage[IMG]

[IMG]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/864981277685004796/BB8A0C76D8D41315B4F1CF2D0876372566110E45/268x268.resizedimage[IMG]

[IMG]http://media.giphy.com/media/pcfdfm6hjTvji/giphy.gif

Milamber's lost brothers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this is a game

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fortix 2 -- MB-6FE12FB87C8DFD7C - Taken by Garcia. 7 entrants total.

t1393962037z1.png

Here's a spare
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Particulars -- MB-F11129FB44D8FEE3 - Taken by tylergregg. 8 entrants total.

t1393962488z1.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yep, I remember those days. When I was in college I owned a Gateway 2000 PC, it was a 486DX2-50 (with math co-processor), and it was the only PC in the entire dorm capable of running Doom smoothly. People would stop by our room just to play Doom for a bit, or they would gather around behind us as we played it on my 15" CRT monitor.

And when I wanted to play Longbow (a helicopter sim) I also needed a boot disk with a custom autoexec.bat file in order to open up enough upper memory in order to even play the game out of DOS.

PC gaming today is 1000% better than it was then, it might as well be console gaming it's so incredibly easy, lol.

def sim

Too bad about that Humble Bundle. I was ready to buy something.

Well I can put the paper in the recycling bin and would keep the cases as they might come in handy at some point. I suppose I could give the discs to my father to help [not] scare off birds in his vegetable garden.

Sounds like a plan!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Here's a list of those games that have previously been in bundles.

Looks like Wildlife 3 being in the weekly Humble paid off. If you're even remotely interested, you should buy the weekly bundle for $1 as the devs have confirmed that they will be giving Steam keys once the game releases on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm kicking myself hard right now for missing out on BAGB 5. I've no idea how I managed to forget about it.

Edit: Oh, wait, it was BAGB 3 that fell to the back of my mind. Crisis averted!

This is the first Mobile Bundle I'll have bought but I'm interested in finding out how Catan plays on my phone so I won't be beating the average. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom