• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Other than the previews, the first inkling of the game's low quality was Squares attempts to give it away for over a year.

You know when retailers are discounting a pre-order of a AAA game by >50%, then the publisher is pushing price protection hard.

I'd agree with you were it any other publisher, but Square-Enix is pretty much the video game embodiment of Hanlon's Razor.

Knurek

Speaking of emulation, I've been meaning to try the next Igavania for ages (finished Circle of the Moon last year). Should I bother with Harmony of Dissonance (I don't mind the chiptunes), or do I skip directly to Aria of Sorrow (which everyone and their dog says it's the best thing since sliced bread)?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Speaking of emulation, I've been meaning to try the next Igavania for ages (finished Circle of the Moon last year). Should I bother with Harmony of Dissonance (I don't mind the chiptunes), or do I skip directly to Aria of Sorrow (which everyone and their dog says it's the best thing since sliced bread)?

The only reason I feel to skip Harmony of Dissonance, beyond the music for some, would be if you are worried about being burnt out at the whole idea of the open world castle design, as it's "two layers" system mixed with smaller rooms leave a lot to be desired and for most aren't as fun to explore. Thus at it's worst it's a "just okay" Castlevania and due to a low difficulty is easy to rather blaze through as long as you don't mind or seek complete collection and of course it's still fun. I enjoyed it, and if nothing else made me appreciate the far grander Aria of Sorrow in comparison.

That said, you really miss nothing special or unique if you do skip it now.

Play Aria of Sorrow immediately. It's perfect. You're not missing anything by skipping HoD.

aku:jiki

Play Aria of Sorrow immediately. It's perfect. You're not missing anything by skipping HoD.
On the other hand, considering the fact that it looks like we're not getting any more of these games, and the pickings for the genre is even pretty slim on Steam, I don't see a need to blow through them ASAP. Even a bad Catlevania is a good game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wouldn't want anyone to play the N64 games, advise against the English Simon's Quest (bad translation hurts the game too much and forces a walkthrough), and tell people to skip The Adventure (due to the much better remake on WiiWare) because they are bad games and terrible Castlevanias. Mirror Of Fate being up to the eye of the beholder, and preference in what you want out of a Castlevania nowadays.

Harmony of Dissonance? It's not a bad Castlevania, it's just an okay Iga title that is fully competent in design and premise. So aye, I second the thought of playing it just because we really aren't getting more titles like it any time soon.

Never played the Quake 1 Mission Packs before, so as a little tangent to all the Doomin' I've been doin' I decided to finally see what they're all about.

Here's my playthrough time tally with my Quake playthrough time as a reference, all of them played on hard.

jDCB9F9We4drO.png

The packs were made by different developers (Hipnotic and Rogue) and they both have their own styling and additions to them. Armagon was a bit more impressive with the visuals, shotgun blasts would leave markings on walls, you'd have more unique visual aspects to the levels like an energy bridge, just things like that. In terms of new weapons you had a proximity mine launcher, which acted as an alternate grenade launcher that ended up being mostly useless; laying traps for enemies to walk into just isn't in the scope of Quake combat. You also get an automatic laser rifle, close to the ones the laser guards use; looks like three rocket launchers taped together but was the most useful of the new weapons and a pretty worthy inclusion to the arsenal. Last weapon you get is Mjolnir, Thor's hammer itself; as cool as this sounds it's not very worthwhile in practice and I'd rather use my cells for the LG or the aforementioned laser rifle -- dunno how you'd go about reloading a hammer either. The new enemies mostly suck, unfortunately. You have scorpions with nail guns for claws, which is admittedly a great concept, but not very fun to fight. You have large airborne mines that home in and track you, which you can only seem to combat indirectly by making them hit a wall -- they use a lot of these throughout and are incredibly annoying. I do like the gremlins though, which are kind of look like miniature fiends, but instead of lunging towards you they steal your weapons and try to run. They added a new item, the horn of conjuring, which spawned a (random?) enemy type as an ally, which you could identify with their emitting glow. Pretty cool to have a shambler on your side I gotta say. Level design was nothing really special though and enemy placement was kind of scattershot. They loved plopping shamblers wherever they felt like it.

Dissolution took a different approach with weapons, instead of adding anything completely new it added alt ammo for a bunch of the existing weapons. With nail guns you can find, get this, lava nails, and they don't end up changing things radically. They do more damage, they have a different sound effect, woo. Grenade and rocket launcher get multi-grenades and multi-rockets, the lightning gun gets a plasma ball the spits out chain lightning. The added enemies are mostly fine, being variants or reskins of existing types, but the one really different one that gets sprinkled about most really sucked. Flying wraths that do the homing projectile shtick for attacks, seems to be the popular choice between the two different developers and they were both butts. We already had the revenant-like in Quake, can we please just leave it at that. There were also some flying swords which were notable in how lame they were to fight. Again, level design wasn't all too special and the amount of ammo you get is excessive, I was almost using rockets and multi-rockets exclusively. Neat thing about both mission packs is that they both have cutscenes; they're simple and crude, but actual cutscenes. Boss fights in both were pretty dull, but that was kind of the norm for the time, the one in Armagon (well, Armagon himself) felt reminiscent of the final Q2 boss.

I mean, they were more Quake to play but I'm not really regretting having not played them sooner. Still, they were fun and being as short as they were never started feeling like they were stretching thin. I'll have to give the Q2 expansions a whirl eventually.

On the other hand, considering the fact that it looks like we're not getting any more of these games, and the pickings for the genre is even pretty slim on Steam, I don't see a need to blow through them ASAP. Even a bad Catlevania is a good game.

He can still play HoD down the line if he craves more. I'm not a fan of the "save the best for last" approach since you could be burnt out on the genre by then and miss the really good games.

Any opinions on PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate? It's stupid cheap on Gamersgate right now and I kinda want it, but I'm not very well-versed in TD games. I love Defense Grid and Super Sanctum TD, but they're pretty much the only TD games I've played so I don't know the genre very well.

I did pick up Defense Technica too, since it's even more stupid-cheap, but I have no idea if it's any good.

Gez said:
Playing Under a Killing Moon and just found out Tex Murphy: Telsa Effect is coming to both GoG and Steam.
Man, I haven't played UAKM since 1995 or so and I thought it was the coolest thing back then. I'm assuming it's one of those games that's better NOT to revisit...

Ban Puncher

They probably go around, making people hang their TVs almost against the ceiling so you get total neck pain. Seriously, ozzies, what the hell is up with TV placement in your country =p

I had to custom build a TV cabinet that has the screen at actual eye level because everything in the stores had it sitting up in the stratosphere.

It's probably got something to do with spiders. Or boats.

Card Boy

Banned
Man, I haven't played UAKM since 1995 or so and I thought it was the coolest thing back then. I'm assuming it's one of those games that's better NOT to revisit...

Seems fine to me, playing as we speak. Only bad thing is the controls as it was before WSAD and you had to push your mouse forward to move and the arrow keys look up and down.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh neat. I won Fortix 2.

Thanks, whoever you are, mysterious benefactor!

Currently at over 100 titles to give away. Still mostly on sabbatical. Just got my first short film shot today, so that was fun.

Life. Ugh. I need to not be at the end of my rope.

Are you seriously doing what you alluded to a month or so ago and saving up bundle titles to reclaim the "record"? ;)

loving the shit out of this PC I got off craigslist for $750 today

i5 4670k
GIGABYTE Z87MX-D3H
GTX 760
8GB
250GB SSD
750W PSU
Dell U2412M

now to continue building my Steam library of games I probably won't play :)

Arthea

The problem with the steam library is not that we don't want to play games, we want, it just not possible to play even 1/10th of them in one lifetime that is.
I would play all my games if I was to live 1000 years or more, some even more than one time.

UnrealEck

i5 4670k
GIGABYTE Z87MX-D3H
GTX 760
8GB
250GB SSD
750W PSU
Dell U2412M

That's a nice system. You'll run out of disk space quickly though with Steam.

Anteater

nfs hot pursuit runs weird if I set vsync to off in control panel, interesting, was running at 60fps but felt like it was stuttering the entire time, guess I'll leave it on default.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

i5 4670k
GIGABYTE Z87MX-D3H
GTX 760
8GB
250GB SSD
750W PSU
Dell U2412M

We got the same system, I have an Asus Z87 Pro as a mobo though. It's a great system but I don't know how it will hold up in a couple of years, I had some difficulty maxing out AC IV

Seanspeed

Banned

i5 4670k
GIGABYTE Z87MX-D3H
GTX 760
8GB
250GB SSD
750W PSU
Dell U2412M

Holy shit! Nice catch. Very nice. Great PC with a great monitor.

Second hand?

Yea but everything seems pretty new, the guy even gave me all the boxes for every part for warranty purposes. The monitor especially seems really good but I need to search around for some calibration settings. I plan on using the Dell IPS for m/kb games and my Panny plasma for pad games.

Will upgrade the GTX 760 to something better once I feel like I need to, but for right now the system overall is giving me a gaming boner. It makes me a little very upset that I have to dig out my old PS3 to play DS2 next week.

Yea but everything seems pretty new, the guy even gave me all the boxes for every part for warranty purposes. The monitor especially seems really good but I need to search around for some calibration settings. I plan on using the Dell IPS for m/kb games and my Panny plasma for pad games.

Will upgrade the GTX 760 to something better once I feel like I need to, but for right now the system overall is giving me a gaming boner. It makes me a little very upset that I have to dig out my old PS3 to play DS2 next week.
Too bad Dell don't make 16:10 displays in the ultrasharp product line anymore, I use U2414H myself.

Any opinions on PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate? It's stupid cheap on Gamersgate right now and I kinda want it

Eh, I didn't like it. Really slow and irritating.

Defender's Quest is the way to go.

---

Boy, it took me a couple of worlds to warm up to Volgarr the Viking, but warm I have. I'm up to World 4 now, after really butting my head against worlds 1 and 2. World 3 wasn't too bad at all; it's really satisfying how I feel my own skill at the game is growing, rather than just rote memorisation. Sure, I die a lot, but I get a lot less frustrated. Great game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

$3.99. I was going to also post the blurb but the actual app store page isn't up yet.

Eh, I didn't like it. Really slow and irritating.

Defender's Quest is the way to go.
Oh, thanks. Slowness is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Boy, it took me a couple of worlds to warm up to Volgarr the Viking, but warm I have. I'm up to World 4 now, after really butting my head against worlds 1 and 2. World 3 wasn't too bad at all; it's really satisfying how I feel my own skill at the game is growing, rather than just rote memorisation. Sure, I die a lot, but I get a lot less frustrated. Great game.
This is another game on my wishlist... What kind of progression does the game have? Unlockable levels, obtainable items? It seems heavily Magic Sword-inspired so if it doesn't have loot I'll be disappointed.

Knurek

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Don't worry, I don't think it's possible for me to burn out on a Metroidvania genre, especially with the spread I'm playing them.

Harmony of Dissonance it is (once I 100% LEGO LotR).

Really loving the Retroarch emu/frontend, framerate slowdown to match monitor VSync (no choppy scrolling on your 59.9991 Hz panel), real-time rewind and automatic 'save state on exit, reload on start' are features that honestly should be included in all emulators.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with the steam library is not that we don't want to play games, we want, it just not possible to play even 1/10th of them in one lifetime that is.
I would play all my games if I was to live 1000 years or more, some even more than one time.
I was thinking about this last night. There are many times I buy a bundle for a specific game I wanted to play, only to forget about it the next day and let it rot in my library forever.

With so many games you end up forgetting what you have, or what games you wanted to try. And yes, playing something means you have less time to play another thing.

Arthea

So, talking about 100% fun. How long usually it takes for a Finnish game (that's already released on Desura, for example) to get released on steam after it was greenlit?

Arthea

I was thinking about this last night. There are many times I buy a bundle for a specific game I wanted to play, only to forget about it the next day and let it rot in my library forever.

With so many games you end up forgetting what you have, or what games you wanted to try. And yes, playing something means you have less time to play another thing.

It's even worse than that, I get distracted all the time by new games I wanted to play coming out, I leave older started games I like and move to new and then I like those too, but then something new shows up that I was meaning to play too and so on and so on, it's never ending story. Accessibility is big part of a problem. Let's say on PS3, I have to care about disk space, it's pain to download, or I need to change a disk if I want to play other game, so I stick with one and finish it. On steam I play like 20 games at once, at least I think I do, and that number is constantly growing. As ridiculous as it sounds, steam screws gaming habits (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom