• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

How so?
Fate Extra is developed by Image Epoch, and an older game by Cavia, no?

Or maybe it isn't. I thought Type Moon (devs of both Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia) were doujin. They sure were when they made Tsukihime. Went pro afterwards, it seems.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, I find spreading my time around more games is healthy. Open-world games / grindy games like JRPGs / puzzle games with tons of stages / score attack games / multiplayer games all eat up time in their own ways. Sometimes it's good to move on.

Or you could just put a massive HDD in your PC/PS3.
The problem is that once I start a game, I forget about the previous one, or find it very hard to come back to. Happened with The Witcher, a game I was enjoying a lot, but one day I stopped playing and never came back.

I don't know how can people manage several consoles' libraries. I'm overwhelmed by just Steam and 3DS, and that's only because I gave up on ever playing the ones I missed on Wii). I want to get a PS3, but that would be incredibly stupid. Hell, I've had Luigi's Mansion 2 since I bought my 3DS last year and haven't touched it yet; I also bought A Link Between Worlds and so far I've only read the digital manual.

aku:jiki

Or maybe it isn't. I thought Type Moon (devs of both Fate/stay night and Fate/hollow ataraxia) were doujin. They sure were when they made Tsukihime. Went pro afterwards, it seems.
No, you're right. Fate is one of those series, like Touhou, that went from something made in some guy's basement to a huge franchise.

I guess maybe that's one reason doujin devs don't care about the west? They're trying to make that anime/manga/arrange album/radio drama/figurine/whatever money.

Still have a Desura key for Humble Bundle 2 left. Can't Modbot it so just quote to see. Please say something if you have taken it.

Humble Bundle 2:
Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans

I already have it but that was an awesome bundle. Braid, Machinarium and Titans are all great and Osmos is good too. Haven't played Cortex Command yet but it looks cool.

Stuff
ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-577870A0EEC1225C - Taken by Mengy
Rock of Ages -- MB-82201CD144CC44AD - Taken by _hekk05

Going back to Steam talk, I was in the mood to play a good RPG so I installed KOTOR II and the restoration mod again and this time I'll finish it. To change things a bit I created a female character and for my surprise - at least in the begin - it brings different dialog.

8D5637C03D988C7440DB30F4F438BE75D9F4BBFE

49EDB4676058E5C4264ED64238F2B6B6C3C00FF3

Parsnip

Hmmm, glancing at some DkS2 videos, the animations still look off, somehow. Though it seems like most people don't see it, so maybe I'm just crazy.

HoosTrax

Speaking of emulation, I've been meaning to try the next Igavania for ages (finished Circle of the Moon last year). Should I bother with Harmony of Dissonance (I don't mind the chiptunes), or do I skip directly to Aria of Sorrow (which everyone and their dog says it's the best thing since sliced bread)?
Harmony of Dissonance isn't terrible, but it's probably my least favorite GBA Castlevania game. The art style is a bit ugly compared to the other games, and it lacks the more interesting spell mechanics of those games as well. Alucard and Soma both had obscene amounts of weapons and toys to play with, and even Nathan had his card synergy thing, but Juste just has his whip. The DS games are worth checking out as well -- they have really no-name throwaway characters, but the art is really a looker on the DS's higher resolution.

I wonder if there's any chance we'll get a port of the XBLA CV game (the name escapes me at the moment), or Mirror of Fate for that matter. I'm more of an Alucard fan (even the...new...version I guess), so I'm also looking forward to the LoS2 expansion pack.

I'm kind of bummed that 2D CV games seem to be a thing of the past (not counting games inspired by the genre like Valdis Story).

Harmony of Dissonance isn't terrible, but it's probably my least favorite GBA Castlevania game. The art style is a bit ugly compared to the other games, and it lacks the more interesting spell mechanics of those games as well. Alucard and Soma both had obscene amounts of weapons and toys to play with, and even Nathan had his card synergy thing, but Juste just has his whip

To be fair, Juste has different techniques depending on what sub-weapon/spellbook he has equipped. A couple of them can even be exploited to sequence break.

Otherwise yeah it's a weak entry. I had fun with it though.

Grief.exe

Going back to Steam talk, I was in the mood to play a good RPG so I installed KOTOR II and the restoration mod again and this time I'll finish it. To change things a bit I created a female character and for my surprise - at least in the begin - it brings different dialog.

I need to do the same eventually to check out the cut content and the new ending.

Keep in mind KOTOR has amazing texture packs available. Quite easy to install as well.

Harmony of Dissonance isn't terrible, but it's probably my least favorite GBA Castlevania game. The art style is a bit ugly compared to the other games, and it lacks the more interesting spell mechanics of those games as well. Alucard and Soma both had obscene amounts of weapons and toys to play with, and even Nathan had his card synergy thing, but Juste just has his whip. The DS games are worth checking out as well -- they have really no-name throwaway characters, but the art is really a looker on the DS's higher resolution.

I wonder if there's any chance we'll get a port of the XBLA CV game (the name escapes me at the moment), or Mirror of Fate for that matter. I'm more of an Alucard fan (even the...new...version I guess), so I'm also looking forward to the LoS2 expansion pack.

I'm kind of bummed that 2D CV games seem to be a thing of the past (not counting games inspired by the genre like Valdis Story).

I would advocate skipping Harmony as well in favor of Aria. If you really want more IGA, come back to it later. There are so many games out there, its perfectly acceptable to skip the mediocre ones.

You don't want that XBLA CV game. I remember reading impressions/reviews when it was released. Sounded horrible.
XBLA also has a port of Symphany of the Night, its not very good as they had to prescribe to the 100 MB limit I believe. Would love to see that game on PC.

We aren't doing too bad on Metroidvanias or Metroidvania-lites on the PC side.

Not sure if already posted but Nuuvem has Dark Souls for R$14,99/~$6.45 USD

Not the lowest ever, but not a bad deal.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/836-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition

Not too shabby if you need that souls fix.

Alduin

So, what's the general consensus on the One Finger Death Punch game? I'm feeling reluctant to purchase it though it does look interesting...

You don't want that XBLA CV game. I remember reading impressions/reviews when it was released. Sounded horrible.

Wha? Harmony of Despair is great.
Lots of replay value, playable characters, builds to play around with, and other things to do.

It's a very creative twist on the formula.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe he lives in ukraine

He's in Russia, unless I'm misremembering something. I recall asking him because I was going to have him chase down an RU copy of STALKER, but I did some further digging and discovered that retail copies don't activate on Steam despite the presence of a far younger retail sub.

_hekk05

Banned
He's in Russia, unless I'm misremembering something. I recall asking him because I was going to have him chase down an RU copy of STALKER, but I did some further digging and discovered that retail copies don't activate on Steam despite the presence of a far younger retail sub.

Mother russia giveth, mother russia taketh away.

Pakkidis

Not really feeling pixeljunk eden. Its fun and challenging but I don't think the core gameplay mechanics are enough to sustain an entire game.

Arthea

Not really feeling pixeljunk eden. Its fun and challenging but I don't think the core gameplay mechanics are enough to sustain an entire game.

It does feel like Eden is overstaying its welcome, but some steamgafer convinced me that gameplay in later worlds gets much more complicated. I played through 4 or 5 worlds and was slightly bored at the end and still there are much more, I think 12 were mentioned or something like that. I guess if you don't like core gameplay at the very start, a game might be not for you.

Turfster

Indieroyale The Mixer bundle coming soon.
  • Face Noir
  • The 39 steps
  • Data Jammers
  • Fairy Bloom Freesia
  • LIghtfish
  • Fish vs Crabs
  • Primal Fears
  • Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars

Deques

Indieroyale The Mixer bundle coming soon.
  • Face Noir
  • The 39 steps
  • Data Jammers
  • Fairy Bloom Freesia
  • LIghtfish
  • Fish vs Crabs
  • Primal Fears
  • Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars

Looks like I got all steam games except for Data Jammers. It's a skip for me

So with GO being almost constantly in the top 10 sellers these last weeks/months, why would Valve go F2P with it again? Playerbase is growing steadily either way.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So with GO being almost constantly in the top 10 sellers these last weeks/months, why would Valve go F2P with it again? Playerbase is growing steadily either way.

Even more people playing means even more hats to be sold. I don't think they care so much about the player base rather than the volume of transactions.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

It could probably manage to bring in older 1.6/Source players into the mix if it went F2P.

Besides, to me it already feels like a F2P game with the map packs. Maybe TF2 spoiled me with the massive amount of free content given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom