• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

So with GO being almost constantly in the top 10 sellers these last weeks/months, why would Valve go F2P with it again? Playerbase is growing steadily either way.

It will probably go the way of TF2. Get regular sales @ -75% off to keep the game selling and then when every last penny has been wrung dry then make it f2p and give some perks to those who bought it. Might take another 2-4 years at this rate though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So with GO being almost constantly in the top 10 sellers these last weeks/months, why would Valve go F2P with it again? Playerbase is growing steadily either way.

Gabe announced yesterday that they're also still working on the Linux port. Once that's done they're likely to get a few more sales / players. So for now, there isn't a reason to go F2P, since as you said, people are still buying it.

ShogunX

Might have one or two others to give away shortly.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dungeonbowl -- MB-B5DC37DC4C0574AC - Taken by Sub Zero. 7 entrants total.

t1394038629z1.png

I'm also not convinced L4D3 is going to be F2P from the get-go.

It's crazy how 1.6 and Source are still in the top 10. If Valve could find a way to unite the fanbase...

also, people are still posting questions in the AMA, lmao.

ShogunX

It's crazy how 1.6 and Source are still in the top 10. If Valve could find a way to unite the fanbase...

Is it even announced at all?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'd love for L4D3 to have some sort of single-player component. Clint Hocking's involvement, even though he recently left, gives me some hope that Valve's cooked something up in that regard.

Soma is the new game from Frictional games ( developers of Amnesia)

The just launched a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0MvhBEzRY4

Not feeling it myself, looks like a bad Dead Space clone, Alien isolation looks much better/interesting in my opinion.

Game will be PC and PS4.
Consider checking out some of the other videos from when they announced it last year. The live action stuff is really interesting, and some of the gameplay looks super cool.

sueil

Is anyone having trouble buying things on the steam store? Trying to buy anything or add funds to my wallet etc.. it just gives me various errors. The page won't load or it will say it failed or something. Depending on how far I get depends varies like even hitting purchase for myself will cause it to fail to load. I've made it all the way to the pay now button but then that just gives me an error. Was trying to buy payday2 and planetary annihilation. Payday 2 I could just buy GMG so I got that and activated it on Steam okay but PA is only on Steam so I can't bypass the store that way.

I'd love for L4D3 to have some sort of single-player component. Clint Hocking's involvement, even though he recently left, gives me some hope that Valve's cooked something up in that regard.

Ditto. Plus Doug Church is/was involved with it. I hope we see their marks on it. As I said before I hope Valve will shake the formula up a bit. A prettier L4D after all these years....not sure how cool that would be. I mean they can keep the core elements, modes, but at least add some new stuff or something.

Grief.exe

Ditto. Plus Doug Church is/was involved with it. I hope we see their marks on it. As I said before I hope Valve will shake the formula up a bit. A prettier L4D after all these years....not sure how cool that would be. I mean they can keep the core elements, modes, but at least add some new stuff or something.

That would be awesome.

Maybe something with a little more atmosphere and tension, that shows the amazing potential of Source 2.

I think it was Nirolak, who said he was hoping for a mode that consists of a large, open level where resource management would be key.

I'm losing track of all those games getting greenlit and having keys from bundles ><

should I get this now?
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/sg/...overkill-thou-filthy-love-collection/#item-s2

Here's what I wrote a few pages back to make this easier on you.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill – Thou Filthy Love Collection

• The Typing of the Dead: Overkill
  • Typing of The Dead: Overkill Shakespeare DLC
  • Typing of The Dead: Overkill Filth DLC
  • Typing of The Dead: Overkill Love at First Bite DLC
66% off of $24.99

$8.49

The only DLC missing in that pack is the newly released Silver Screen DLC. If you add that to your cart, you are applicable for the 20% off coupon since you are paying over $10.

OQE4LG-WEQPSE-SMCME1

With the game and all DLCs in the cart, your total would be:

$9.20

Zia

Is Doug Church still at Valve?

Edit: Also, anyone else think it's feasible that the reason we haven't heard anything new (game-wise) out of Valve for awhile is that they're porting all of their preexisting platforms (TF2, GO, Dota 2, L4D2) to Source 2?

HoosTrax

One thing that L4D2 notably lacks is character/weapon customization (and also skills/perk). It feels a bit dated in that respect. (That's not meant to be a judgement so much as an observation and comparison with typical MP shooters that are released these days)

They announced it last year? I must have been living in a cave :(
Yeah, there was a big lead up with live action videos, that seem to indicate that the story is going in a cool direction; dealing with consciousness, and such. The trailer you posted is new, I believe, though. It seems to be much more involved that Dead Space at least in what they've been saying. They cite specific influence in the SCP stories, which could be cool.

Here's two of the live action bits, and 4 minutes of gameplay:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lLVOif6CHgE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0K3thKA8wMQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TWHVkMIP1b8

Last I heard of Church was when John Blow described his VR experience at Valve (around last fall) and he was there setting up the system or something like that.

edit: http://the-witness.net/news/2014/01/what-that-vr-post-was-about/

In late November I spent a few days at Valve&#8217;s offices working with Atman Binstock and Doug Church to adapt the HMD&#8217;s input system more thoroughly for The Witness and to build a few scenes that are playable on the device.

One thing that L4D2 notably lacks is character/weapon customization (and also skills/perk). It feels a bit dated in that respect. (That's not meant to be a judgement so much as an observation and comparison with typical MP shooters that are released these days)

Well, Valve like to keep it relatively oldschool and pure. I mean, still no ironsights.

HATS. WE NEED MORE HATS!

Well, Valve like to keep it relatively oldschool and pure. I mean, still no ironsights.

Lasersight was crap in L4D2. I hope they wont add anything like that in L4D3. I dont think that you would find a weapon with flashlight,iron sight,laser sight and neon grip so easily when the zombie apocalypse hits.

Is Doug Church still at Valve?

Edit: Also, anyone else think it's feasible that the reason we haven't heard anything new (game-wise) out of Valve for awhile is that they're porting all of their preexisting platforms (TF2, GO, Dota 2, L4D2) to Source 2?

Were those "leaked" screenshots of L4D2 for Source 2 confirmed? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't port the other three games, seeing as they are all more popular than L4D2.

Also, I wonder why Hocking left?

JaseC

Soon after CS:GO was announced, someone asked HPE (via the CS:GO Twitter account) if there'd be ADS functionality in the game. HPE's response was a simple, "Hell no, this is Counter-Strike."

saoirse-ronan-hi5-o.gif

Hm, Steve/Jase, you really should not post from your alt account at the same time you are posting from your other account, you know?

Also, shouldn't you go and get that multiple personality thing looked at by a professional?

I'm not sure the meds you are on are really helping :/.

I was wondering with the rise of GO, would Valve want to expand TI a bit to include CS too?

Were those "leaked" screenshots of L4D2 for Source 2 confirmed? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't port the other three games, seeing as they are all more popular than L4D2.

For all we know, yes those were legit. And also from 2011.

Btw would it make sense for Valve to port those games fully to a new engine?

Kassu

Banned
I really want to play tennis game for some reason and I'm considering buying Virtua Tennis 4 from GMG. But it apparently has GFWL, so does anyone know if it's going to work after they shut down GFWL?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I really want to play tennis game for some reason and I'm considering buying Virtua Tennis 4 from GMG. But it apparently has GFWL, so does anyone know if it's going to work after they shut down GFWL?

The single player will work with a local profile. Don't know if they are going to actually remove GFWL

Grief.exe

It will still work, just no achievements and have to sign in through an offline profile.

Worst case scenario, people will just use a cracked .exe file.

JaseC

You'll still be able to play the SP portion by using an offline (local) account.

Edit: Beaten.

Steam account required for game activation and installation

methinks you're in the clear.

Thanks, I knew a lot of those are Steamworks, but there seem to be some relatively obscure titles thrown in. Going to grab that and Typing of the Dead, I think that's the cheapest it has been so far for 5 bucks.

Kassu

Banned
The single player will work with a local profile. Don't know if they are going to actually remove GFWL
It will still work, just no achievements and have to sign in through an offline profile.

Worst case scenario, people will just use a cracked .exe file.
You'll still be able to play the SP portion by using an offline (local) account.

Edit: Beaten.

Okay, thanks! I don't care about playing online or achievements so sounds good enough.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Soma is the new game from Frictional games ( developers of Amnesia)

The just launched a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0MvhBEzRY4

Not feeling it myself, looks like a bad Dead Space clone, Alien isolation looks much better/interesting in my opinion.

Game will be PC and PS4.

I like how thread titles on Neogaf have just jumped on the "only mention Sony and pretend other platforms don't exist" marketing bandwagon.

JaseC

There's a huge sale going on at Nuuvem at the moment. I was going to make a list but the discounts on many non-featured items end at various times so just poke through the pile.

Edit: GTA Complete is 80% off (~$6.41). The pack is the only way to get Steam versions of GTA and GTA 2.

kevin1025

Banned
Bought Condemned and Typing of the Dead: Overkill!

Condemned I loved back in the day, and don't know anything about Typing of the Dead outside of it being well-liked. Am I in for a treat?

Indie Royale spares

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Face Noir -- MB-DAE58DA090FE3081 - Taken by Tesseract
39 Steps -- MB-366CE9BC0C5D7B76 - Taken by Evrain
Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-C29C3F2395D12BD2 - Taken by jmizzal
Data Jammers -- MB-270A68B9356149B5 - Taken by KenOD

Spiegel

I like how thread titles on Neogaf have just jumped on the "only mention Sony and pretend other platforms don't exist" marketing bandwagon.

That's what happens when people copy and paste news from the PS blog where only PS versions are named.

A lot of news debut there lately, so it's normal for people to not know if there are other versions.

Twinduct

Yeah I imagine that was the intent. Well that and that his source is the Playstation blog which doesn't mention any other platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom