• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my mates will soon be building a $2k gaming PC to jump on the Steam train. Previously he was partial to the Xbox.

And now we know the real reason Assassin's Creed 4 kept eating your saves... it didn't want to run on whatever peasant setup you were forcing upon it. :p

Almighty

Convinced a friend to get a new PC instead of a PS4. Aw yeah. Heck, I wish I didn't buy my PS4. Love my first gaming PC.

I probably would of been better off waiting on the PS4 and putting that money towards a new computer myself. People warned me, but the next gen hype got a hold and wouldn't let go.

Tellaerin

now kos-mos has that same dead personality but like shion's got this weird crush on her that makes you feel like awww but also she's a total badass at saving the gang from death like 9 times each game. and then you put her in your team and she totally rekks fights and all her moves are super cool.

she's awesome!

so yea she's da god

This was one of my favorite scenes in the series.

It's just a random screencap from this interview but since she happened to look sad I figured I'd use it for a while. ;)

This the only question I can answer with any certainty: yes. I wouldn't think that key activation would be tied to the region of one's account but this is Squeenix we're talking about. You could try purchasing the game from the Aussie store, I suppose, and if it doesn't work hit up Squeenix Support for a replacement key. Just say it was a gift from an Aussie friend or something. ;)

Hmmm I might just get it gifted in case, i can image SE support would be terrible with cases such as this.

Dambrosi

Banned
KOS-MOS da god.
missed this

so spot on

kos-mos has such a weird understated charm about her I love. like in persona 3 I couldn't stand aigis. I mean I never liked rei ayanami (I like asuka and misato more but w/e) and it's like freaking rei, dead personality and shit in combat.

now kos-mos has that same dead personality but like shion's got this weird crush on her that makes you feel like awww but also she's a total badass at saving the gang from death like 9 times each game. and then you put her in your team and she totally rekks fights and all her moves are super cool.

she's awesome!

so yea she's da god
*hugs both of you* Mah KOS-BROs.

There's a reason she's my Steam avatar.

Shion can suck it, though. She started out cute in XS1, but only got progressively worse.

Grief.exe

Consoles having no backwards compatibility really kills it for me, despite loving everything Sony has done so far with the machine, but I guess the blame was on ps3 having a different architecture, hopefully moving forward it will be a bit like the PC when the time comes for the PS4 > PS5 transition.

I would have bought a PS4 instead of a PS3 if it had backwards compatibility, even if I had to pay more.

FauX

Random question: Is there a way to ask ModBot how many games have you given away?

I know there's a way to ask it to enlist all the games you have won, but I was thinking the other way around. Any thoughts?

zkylon

zkylewd
ok got to the final world in hakox

this shit is hard, I'm cursing all over the place

Yea the combat is fun, the dungeons are usually just avoiding spikes or bombs blowing up, that sort of thing and they're long.

Kind of reminds me of valdis story where the weak point was all the non combat stuff.
yeah the combat's fun, I really liked it

I also really like metroidvanias but I'm completely useless at platformers so I appreciate this game being a lot more focused on combat than anything else. plus the lite rpg mechanics are just enough for me to enjoy them

This was one of my favorite scenes in the series.
yeah that one was pretty cool, also liked the one she fights against t-elos and all her heroics at the end of xeno 1.

in general she's got those silly deus ex machina powers that make her "please kos-mos save us!!!" situations really memorable.

like at one point she's kind of dead and revives and spawns a space motorcycle that attaches itself to a huge mech, then blows up everyone and saves shion by gate jumping accross the galaxy. like how stupidly awesome can one character be

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And now we know the real reason Assassin's Creed 4 kept eating your saves... it didn't want to run on whatever peasant setup you were forcing upon it. :p

Haha, unlike me he's not fond of AssCreed at all. ;) I myself am running a 2600K at 4.6GHz, 8GB DDR3-1600 and a couple of overclocked 2GB 670s. The 2600K will last me a good while longer, I think, while on the GPU side I intend to move up to two 870s depending on the performance jump (and whether or not they're 4GB by default).

Random question: Is there a way to ask ModBot how many games have you given away?

I know there's a way to ask it to enlist all the games you have won, but I was thinking the other way around. Any thoughts?

Not at this juncture. My Loot pertains only to games you've given away that went unclaimed.

zkylon

zkylewd
*hugs both of you* Mah KOS-BROs.

There's a reason she's my Steam avatar.

Shion can suck it, though. She started out cute in XS1, but only got progressively worse.
yea shion's pretty annoying

I kinda like her more in xeno 3 since at least you get to see her pained over kevin and shit. like before this there were hints but in general her personality was just bitchy, whining and sighing about everything and everyone.

my waifus go like this: albedo > miyuki > mos-mos > shelley

Tellaerin

yeah that one was pretty cool, also liked the one she fights against t-elos and all her heroics at the end of xeno 1.

in general she's got those silly deus ex machina powers that make her "please kos-mos save us!!!" situations really memorable.

like at one point she's kind of dead and revives and spawns a space motorcycle that attaches itself to a huge mech, then blows up everyone and saves shion by gate jumping accross the galaxy. like how stupidly awesome can one character be

Yeah, I remember that. The guys in the lab freaking out because KOS-MOS just spontaneously activated, and KOS-MOS just hops on her space bike and says, "Shion is calling me", then takes off. XD

Anteater

For some strange reason Virgil was one of my favorite characters in xenosaga, I was really interested in his story with feb since ep1

zkylon

zkylewd
For some strange reason Virgil was one of my favorite characters in xenosaga, I was really interested in his story with feb since ep1

yeah he's pretty cool, even moreso after 3. I really liked the andrew captain dude from xeno 1. both seemed like they were gonna be more important because of how much story they had for the relatively small roles they ended up having

and albedo's just too cool. dude's mixing up languages like there's no tomorrow and doing his best maniacal laughter every single time never gets old. and again his backstory is also pretty good

I haven't the slightest clue what Xenosaga is other than it's a video game. Probably a JRPG? Maybe?
yea a jrpg from the ps2 era. it's not on steam or anything but it'd be nice

zkylon

zkylewd
Pretty much yes

All this Xenotalk made want to try the series out. I haven't played those game before
they're pretty good but mgs cutscene to gameplay ratio is a joke compared to them, specially in xeno 1, so beware.

the combat is pretty fun and characters are easy to love and the story is like evangelion meets inception meets mass effect or something.

Just finished Binary Domain, damn, that was a mega awesome game.

Binary Domain 2, please !
I really don't see this happening, I think it sold like shit :(

I'm not a big fan of third person shooters but the story and characters were cool enough for me to want to play a second one

Time for Analogue a hate story.
yisss

such a different game tho, it's gonna be weird

Khronico

Steam really needs more JRPGs. There's some great games that were released on PC a long time ago (Breath of Fire IV, Grandia I) that should totally hit the digital distribution shelves. All you have to do is give me custom resolution support, proper mkb support, and no framerate cap and I'll buy it!

Not only that, but I would love to see more modern JRPG's hit steam as well. Tales Of series, FFX and 12, etc etc.

Can you imagine 4k screenshots of Ni No Kuni!?

original.gif

Hopefully the Sega campaign succeeds so Japanese devs see it and start considering PC as a viable platform

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Binary Domain, damn, that was a mega awesome game.

Binary Domain 2, please !

That property is commercially unviable after the sales figures of the first game. Also the writers would have to find another anime series to "borrow" a plot from.

For what its worth, I think it is a decent game as long as one didn't pay full price.

Anteater

Steam really needs more JRPGs. There's some great games that were released on PC a long time ago (Breath of Fire IV, Grandia I) that should totally hit the digital distribution shelves. All you have to do is give me custom resolution support, proper mkb support, and no framerate cap and I'll buy it!

Not only that, but I would love to see more modern JRPG's hit steam as well. Tales Of series, FFX and 12, etc etc.

Can you imagine 4k screenshots of Ni No Kuni!?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18jmf7dng73j0gif/original.gif[IMG]

Hopefully the Sega campaign succeeds so Japanese devs see it and start considering PC as a viable platform[/QUOTE]

Japanese pubs are weird, they've got a bunch of old games they could milk but they don't, even though at times you see that they are willing to with all their mobile efforts, but they are unwilling to try on a platform that isn't popular in Japan.

Milamber

Japanese pubs are weird, they've got a bunch of old games they could milk but they don't, even though at times you see that they are willing to with all their mobile efforts, but they are unwilling to try on a platform that isn't popular in Japan.

Piracy and userbase preferences on PC platform.

EDIT: Every Comiket, a huge majority of the Doujin games gets pirated with the week.
EDIT 2: I understand the sentiment though, why would they risk their small studio profits on the PC when they know it's far safer on console.
EDIT 3: And since only small fan (doujin works) studios can afford to publish on PC, it has slowly tarnished the PC's reputation as the H platform.
EDIT 4: Even I fail to see any PC advantage to small studios without the backing of a huge publisher.

Backlogger

Well, in addition to the tower he also needs to buy a monitor and a keyboard/mouse. He'll be spending around $1650 on the system itself; PC hardware pricing isn't the best here in Australia and isn't really discounted much at all (incomparable to the likes of, say, Newegg, at least).

If you are starting completely from scratch its hard to keep the price down.

Inline with the recent pullout of DLCs by Sony to GT5, Have the pulled out games on Steam had their DLCs pulled also? I am very cautious with buying games since it is like walking on a shoestring over a canyon for me so this kind of news terrifies me.

Anteater

Dear Esther is $1.73 on gmg

Piracy and userbase preferences on PC platform.

EDIT: Every Comiket, a huge majority of the Doujin games gets pirated with the week.
EDIT 2: I understand the sentiment though, why would they risk their small studio profits on the PC when they know it's far safer on console.
EDIT 3: And since only small fan (doujin works) studios can afford to publish on PC, it has slowly tarnished the PC's reputation as the H platform.
EDIT 4: Even I fail to see any PC advantage to small studios without the backing of a huge publisher.

That makes sense, but it's kind of ironic that big publishers like Konami end up region locking their own PC games in japan though, effectively making piracy as their only option.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Did the custom tags just vanish or something? Been browsing some games and they're not there.

oipic

Thanks for Dust, oipic!

I was probably the only living thing that didn't have the game yet.

No worries - enjoy, and mash buttons wildly as I did.

I hope for Noogy's sake that you're right, and that everyone else has a copy now. :)

Coldsun

Banned
JaseC, since you seem to be the man who knows how to get things...

I don't suppose you know of a site or an individual who would be willing to trade various tf2 items (such as Bill's hat and quite a few other items) for Thief4?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The hell are we talking about Xenosaga/gears in a STEAM thread?

Got my hopes up for a belated PC port, and saw it was just a buncha talk about waifus which are irrelevant to Steam.

The game(s) still takes a beast of a machine to emulate on PCSX2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom