• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nillansan

Pity about Ikaruga's sales. :\
Hopefully it at least recouped porting costs, and will turn profitable during it's first Steam sale.

Did they make any announcements about the sales numbers on PC? Isn't it a bit too early to talk about how successful it is considering that it came out 5 days ago?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hopefully it at least recouped porting costs, and will turn profitable during it's first Steam sale.

With any luck it'll get a spotlight in the near future and won't just be reduced during the Summer Sale, sandwiched between a million other games. Titles that cater to a specific niche need to be highly visible and discounted enough that they fall within impulse purchase territory. I think Ikaruga would do well as a Daily at 33% off.

As an aside, I've sent off my support ticket to Ubi. The situation was a little confusing to explain but hopefully my request is clear.

Did they make any announcements about the sales numbers on PC? Isn't it a bit too early to talk about how successful it is considering that it came out 5 days ago?

Well, the Steam charts are based off of revenue and Ikaruga isn't even in the top 100. That's not good for a game that's not even a week old.

Knurek

Treasure tweeted something about 5000 people having submitted a score. Even if you take into account people who bought the game but still haven't played, that's no more than 10000 sales.

japanhmsuj.jpg

~Let's go to Japan~

Also, I misread the app id that the Settlers 7 DLC pack requires so now I really do need to try and wrangle a Steam key for Paths to a Kingdom vanilla out of Ubi.

Most publishers must have your (or Saoirse's) picture on the wall by now, don't they? Just a big "beware" sign taped next to it.

JaseC

Most publishers must have your (or Saoirse's) picture on the wall by now, don't they? Just a big "beware" sign taped next to it.

Just WB. :( Oh, and Nordic ignored my question regarding the Agatha Christie games (I noticed a few months ago that they'd recently been added to the Nordic employee sub so I asked if there were any plans to re-release them on the store).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

was there a report about shitty Ikaruga sales?

The saddest thing about the Ikaruga situation is how optimistic the devs sounded about Steam before the game came out. They said they were thinking about making an action game for Steam, but I wonder if Ikaruga's sales are going change their minds.

Knurek

The saddest thing about the Ikaruga situation is how optimistic the devs sounded about Steam before the game came out. They said they were thinking about making an action game for Steam, but I wonder if Ikaruga's sales are going change their minds.

OTOH, we don't know what kind of sales they expected, so maybe they are happy.
Still, it doesn't look that good when compared to DayZ/Rust/Banished, right?

JaseC

I don't know if the charts are specific to each region, but on my end it is placed at 63 on the top sellers list.

They are. The Top 10 is usually consistent among regions but once you dig deeper the difference in rankings will become apparent. For example, Starbound is #14 on the US Top Sellers list whereas on the Aussie store that spot is occupied by Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom Deluxe Gold.

Nillansan

OTOH, we don't know what kind of sales they expected, so maybe they are happy.
Still, it doesn't look that good when compared to DayZ/Rust/Banished, right?

According to a poster in the Ikaruga OT it did sell around 5000 copies on the Gamecube. The PC version can easily do a lot better with proper visibility and by being more attractively priced (I still think it is a great deal with it's current price).

JaseC

Hmm, can't I play games I have bought on Steam if I'm not connected to the internet?

Theoretically any games that Steam has not detected an update for, and those that have a show CD key flag attached that Steam has already retrieved, should work in Offline Mode, but even after all this time it's not perfect.

wazoo

People on steam do not buy games unless they are on sale or with lots of hype. what the point when your backlog is longer that all console games released in the past ?

Devs have to adapt or quit.

For Ikagura, it is even worse considering this is a port of an old game, which, cynically, you can download for free on the internet in 2 minutes.

I did bought in on android, gamecube and soon steam, but for most people, you will need more.

Nillansan

They are. The Top 10 is usually consistent among regions but once you dig deeper the difference in rankings will become apparent. For example, Starbound is #14 on the US Top Sellers list whereas on the Aussie store that spot is occupied by Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom Deluxe Gold.

Thank you for the clarification Jase.

Blitzhex

Is online co-op in Metal slug 3 p2p? Me and my friend live close and we get 5 ms ping to each other and to our ISP, yet we both get high input lag when playing together.

NIN90

Can anyone explain the drop system of CS:GO? Bought the game back in the autumn sale but didn't play it much outside of some bot matches and a few online deathmatches in which I got destroyed by the more experienced players...Heard you can make some money out of it.

Every once in a while after a match ends (30 rounds in competitive) you get an item ranging from cases (Weapons), capsules (these contain stickers, they are new) or an weapon. You aren't guaranteed to get a drop each match. Matches take around a half an hour to complete.

Cases and capsules can be only opened with keys that you can buy from the marketplace and they contain one item of various rarities. Cases and capsules are virtually worthless and the keys are rather expensive too. You can sell the weapons (etc.) on the marketplace which where they range from few cents to big buxxx. You can also trade 10 weapons of same collection and rarity to one higher tier of rarity, which is insanity if you don't buy the weapons from the marketplace because that will take AGES to get drops from.

That said, yes, you can make money just buy playing the game, but unless you are very lucky we are talking about cents here. You can also try and game the market but like I said, everything is random which makes the process much much much harder. My suggestion? If you really want a shiny weapon, buy one from the market and hope that eventually you get a nice drop that nets you a few dollars.

fantomena

I have these coupons if anyone want them:

1x 75% on Shadow Warrior
1x 75% on Rise of the Triad
3x 25% on Broken Age
1x 30% on Aqua Kitty

PM me if interested.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Every once in a while after a match ends (30 rounds in competitive) you get an item ranging from cases (Weapons), capsules (these contain stickers, they are new) or an weapon. You aren't guaranteed to get a drop each match. Matches take around a half an hour to complete.

Cases and capsules can be only opened with keys that you can buy from the marketplace and they contain one item of various rarities. Cases and capsules are virtually worthless and the keys are rather expensive too. You can sell the weapons (etc.) on the marketplace which where they range from few cents to big buxxx. You can also trade 10 weapons of same collection and rarity to one higher tier of rarity, which is insanity if you don't buy the weapons from the marketplace because that will take AGES to get drops from.

That said, yes, you can make money just buy playing the game, but unless you are very lucky we are talking about cents here. You can also try and game the market but like I said, everything is random which makes the process much much much harder. My suggestion? If you really want a shiny weapon, buy one from the market and hope that eventually you get a nice drop that nets you a few dollars.

Thanks for the reply, looks like it's not worth bothering with

Jawmuncher

Played about an hour of Dysfunctional Systems. I like it.
Going to try and finish it this week and if it holds true i'll be backing the current kickstarter for the other parts.

Copons

According to a poster in the Ikaruga OT it did sell around 5000 copies on the Gamecube. The PC version can easily do a lot better with proper visibility and by being more attractively priced (I still think it is a great deal with it's current price).

Wut really?
So I guess it sold even less copies on Dreamcast, which means I kinda want mine to be signed and numbered. :D

Tizoc

Good day everyone!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rush Bros. -- MB-1C3B0DAF015D4850
Chaos on Deponia -- MB-C7D8C21385E3A3E9
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ -- MB-78E850007F24FC80
Velocity Ultra -- MB-186EB15B1B56A618

t1393178074z1.png

Tizoc

Regarding Ikaruga, TotalBiscuit in a way helped increase the sales of Brothers: A tale of two sons.
Any chance him doing a WTF is Ikaruga help boost its sales?
...and oh god he did a video for Rambo but NOT Ikaruga?

Momentary

Banned
Well, the Steam charts are based off of revenue and Ikaruga isn't even in the top 100. That's not good for a game that's not even a week old.

It's in the top one hundred and it was in the top 10 for the first 2 days.

It's number 68 in the top 100.

Where is all this made up news about Ikaruga coming from?

wazoo

Wut really?
So I guess it sold even less copies on Dreamcast, which means I kinda want mine to be signed and numbered. :D

Steam sales are for the long run. Stop thinking about 1st day sales. the game will not disappear from the shelves like a retail release.

Nillansan

It's in the top one hundred and it was in the top 10 for the first 2 days.

It's number 68 in the top 100.

As JaseC has explained, the top sellers list is region specific.

Where is all this made up news about Ikaruga coming from?

All those claims are based on this Tweet. Nobody, besides Treasure and Valve, knows how successful the game has been so far. I think it is way too early to deem the game a failure in terms of sales.

Deques

Regarding Ikaruga, TotalBiscuit in a way helped increase the sales of Brothers: A tale of two sons.
The title is too obscure for him. He would scare everyone from buying it by being bad at this game

Talyn

He mentioned Ikaruga on the Polaris podcast last week, he said he wasn't going to do a WTF is... on a port of a Dreamcast game so I'd say the chances of him changing his mind are slim to none. As for Rambo, that was another in his series of "OMGWTF is this shit, do not buy this terrible game" videos that makes him ever so popular amongst devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom