• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That Australian price... ouch:

pHAaHlJ.png

Universal sub, though. Thanks, Scamco!

Edit: Oh, right, didn't see the gifting/trading flag.

maty

Notice: Purchases made in Uruguay are only playable in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Bahamas, Belize, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Paraguay, Suriname, El Salvador, Uruguay and Venezuela.

yeah, im just gonna assume this flag is here to stay. fuck life.

that region-locking is getting more and more invasive. lol
#screwthis

Fuck this shit. If everything is going to be region locked then give me regional pricing as well. Only in Brazil games are cheaper.

2k Games does it already even if the rest of the stores are charged in US$ and not in the local currency (Brazil is still cheaper though).

JaseC

What does that mean for physical copies? I guess since this is delayed by a month and a half I might as well just wait for my UK Black Armour Edition to ship to the US...

There are several other subs, too, they're just not in active duty at the moment, so the matter of whether or not physical copies get the extras advertised on the store page is something Scamco needs to clarify.

allansm

Notice: Purchases made in Uruguay are only playable in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Bahamas, Belize, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Paraguay, Suriname, El Salvador, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Well, I can confirm that you can play games that display this warning anywhere (I'm in Germany right now I can play MGR besides of what is said on the store page). I guess this warning must refer to the activation of gifted copies.

Tecl0n

Fuck this shit. If everything is going to be region locked then give me regional pricing as well. Only in Brazil games are cheaper.

2k Games does it already even if the rest of the stores are charged in US$ and not in the local currency (Brazil is still cheaper though).

We are just too few for Steam to care it seems. (And currency problems). Then again, Blizzard does support AR$.

Jawmuncher

Since were on the topic of Dark Souls.....

I had a friend buy it when it was 5 on XBL and then he told me the game was bad because he kept dying and it was too hard. Then I had all of my other friends come in and basically agree with him. Screw em if they can't get it they can be left in the cold. Even told them I would love to help them since part of the fun is talking to others about the game.

rtcn63

What's Hardcore Hardcore?

Deep web shit brah

I had a friend buy it when it was 5 on XBL and then he told me the game was bad because he kept dying and it was too hard. Then I had all of my other friends come in and basically agree with him. Screw em if they can't get it they can be left in the cold. Even told them I would love to help them since part of the fun is talking to others about the game.

This topic often comes up. I personally like DS, but if weren't for glimpses from the various wikis, I probably never would have made it past the Capra Demon. The game is challenging and rewards exploration and experimentation, even if that exploration and experimentation can get a bit convoluted (obscure item A from area B drastically helps survivability in area F), and some people (like myself) just aren't mentally built for it.

JaseC

Lord JaseC, the first!

What say you about Dark Souls 2 and region locking?

There are some rather cheap keys on those shady cd key sites that are not to be mentioned here and was wondering if I should be worried about the region locking!

I know I can get in trouble using those sites, the question is just for the sake of the actual region locking!

Well, Steam's own store has just the one sub, but with the gifting/trading flag applied you'd need to use a VPN to activate a gift copy received from a South American or an Eastern European user, which, since you're technically skirting region-specific pricing on Steam itself, isn't something I'd recommend. As for retail keys, I'd wait until closer to release before looking into resellers as Scamco may choose to tie Eastern European keys to a region-locked sub.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

This is what pisses me off the most about this: "Brazil gets cheaper games? Let's fuck up the entire continent then!"

Well, I can confirm that you can play games that display this warning anywhere (I'm in Germany right now I can play MGR besides of what is said on the store page). I guess this warning must refer to the activation of gifted copies.
It depends on the game, most are for gifted copies, but there are some that actually require being in the region (although that mostly happens with RU+CIS games)

Grief.exe

Not to give you advice, but you should smother them in their sleep.

You would be doing them a favor.

maty

We are just too few for Steam to care it seems. (And currency problems). Then again, Blizzard does support AR$.

Yeah, you are probably right :(

Like you say, if Blizzard can do it to sell just a few games then Valve should try to convince publishers to do the same. They could at least match the brazilian price even in US$.

You need new friends. j/k

I still need to play more, but from my personal experience the game is not that hard but totally unforgiving, just need to watch enemies patterns and pay attention to the things. Maybe they are trying to approach the game as if it was a God of War or any other hack'n slash game?

JaseC

As much as I love pre-order-exclusive DLC, I wish more devs would repeat what Ubi did with Rayman 2. ;)

Well, not exactly: it's the same notice that's put on store pages when the onlyallowrunincountries flag is in use, so some due diligence is needed lest you make a grave mistake.

Dark Souls preordered faster than JaseC gets bored of his avatar.

It's almost that time of the week. :p

mannerbot

I still need to play more, but from my personal experience the game is not that hard but totally unforgiving, just need to watch enemies patterns and pay attention to the things. Maybe they are trying to approach the game as if it was a God of War or any other hack'n slash game?

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/learning-to-praise-the-sun/1100-4858/
This article by Patrick Klepek sums up my thoughts on Dark Souls' undeserved reputation for masochistic difficulty that (in addition to not being true) completely overshadows all of the amazing qualities the game has.

Is this a Steam exclusive offer?

DSII_Steam_Banner_EarlyItems_Steam.jpg

Shouldn't be, those are the same Black Armour preorder DLC early access items that every retailer has for the console versions.

Jawmuncher

I know they are. I'm certain he was trying to play it like Skyrim. I'll see if I can convince them on trying it again I probably can. Though it might be a uphill battle, None of them have really been much into the games I like. AKA games that require a little more work to play.

But, we can get the game for $36USD if someone from Brazil. So, yay?

JaseC

Sorry, should have been more specific. Do the other PC digital stores have that same pre-order bonus?

DS2 doesn't seem be up on other sites just yet.

Edit: Oh, wait, it's up on GamersGate and, yes, the weapons + digital extras are included:
10 early access weapons and shields:
Black Flamestone Dagger
Black Flamestone Parma
Yellow Quartz Longsword
Yellow Quartz Shield
Bound Hand Axe
Bound Wooden Shield
Homunculus Mace
Homunculus Wooden Shield
Transgressor's Staff
Transgressor's Leather Shield

You will also receive these digital extras:

Original Game Soundtrack (35 tracks to immerse yourself in the gripping world of Dark Souls™ II).
Official Dark Souls™ II Artbook (conceptual drawings, characters and enemies) in PDF format
The complete Dark Souls II Digital Comic Book written by Rob Williams and Andi Ewington with art provided by Simon Coleby

Dark Souls II comes out at a terrible time, last month of a rather busy semester jam packed with exams and assignments. I won't be able to join until mid June at the earliest :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom