• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
As JaseC has explained, the top sellers list is region specific.

All those claims are based on this Tweet. Nobody, besides Treasure and Valve, knows how successful the game has been so far. I think it is way too early to deem the game a failure in terms of sales.

Well they seem pretty excited about the 5000 number on the leaderboards. It's not like shmups sell hundreds of thousands of copies. I don't read Japanese, but the use of exclamation marks give me a positive vibe.

Plus I play the game, and I don't have my score up their because I'm too much of a pansy to play the game on default settings.

He mentioned Ikaruga on the Polaris podcast last week, he said he wasn't going to do a WTF is... on a port of a Dreamcast game so I'd say the chances of him changing his mind are slim to none. As for Rambo, that was another in his series of "OMGWTF is this shit, do not buy this terrible game" videos that makes him ever so popular amongst devs.

I was also surprised he didn't cover Might and Magic X for his WTF either, which was probably the most PC oriented game to be released this year in January. Totally thought that'd be completely up his alley as a longtime classic PC gamer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was also surprised he didn't cover Might and Magic X for his WTF either, which was probably the most PC oriented game to be released this year in January. Totally thought that'd be completely up his alley as a longtime classic PC gamer.

Did he not cover it while it was an Early Access game?

Nillansan

Plus I play the game, and I don't have my score up their because I'm too much of a pansy to play the game on default settings.

Yes that is another factor to take into consideration, additionally, quite a few people on my friends list have bought it, but only half of them have actually played the game. I picked it up day one, I haven't touched it yet.

For comparison. A 2D shooter on the Xbox 360 in Japan sold about as many copies as Ikaruga on Steam in the same timeframe.
I wouldn't be too worried..or maybe I would? Ehh..oh well.
Shooters are generally a hard sell.

Also unless I'm mistaken the leaderboards don't account for people who change the default settings (and one of the defaults is "no continues").

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I've tried playing some Raven (the German adventure game) and the perfomance was weirdly bad. Massive frame rate drops in a lot of areas and with a lot of camera angles. The movement controls are also semi-broken: it's really hard to use location exits which happen to be at the bottom of the screen if you use mouse controls (there's also a gamepad option). From what I've otherwise seen, it's a pretty solid adventure game. I've noticed Stump has been playing it a lot, so he probably has something more to say. Oh, and I don't really like how there are no hidden achievements in the game and each one contains massive spoilers.

The forum discussions for the game ar elike 90% complaining about bugs and glitches. Personally, I only noticed the framerate dropping during a few FMVs especially the first few in the game. I did have a few movement glitches where my character would walk past the boundary for a camera cut-over and the camera wouldn't cutover. Normally I found walking back to the middle of the room and then back to where I wanted to walk again fixed that. RE: Achievements, there are a bunch of hidden achievements (at least 5 that I haven't earned), but they tend to be the achievements for non plot-related stuff whereas the plot achievements are not hidden. The only one that seems to be a big spoiler is an achievement whose description text is in German -- spoiler for Episode 3 which I haven't played yet --
Witness - Du wurdest Zeuge von Dr. Gebhardts Ende. which I'm guessing translates as You were there to witness Dr. Gebhardt's End

Since I haven't played Episode 3 yet I haven't posted about it here, but so far I've enjoyed the game quite a good deal. I liked Episode 1 better than Episode 2.

Did he not cover it while it was an Early Access game?

Aye, now that you mention it, maybe he did, but I can't seem to find it using Google though. Clash of Heroes is the only one that pops up. I used the words "Might and Magic X", totalbiscuit and "Alpha Strike".

Sarcasm

I know this is a stream thread..but besides the guides on the community hubs..where or what is a good read for EVE Online?

_hekk05

Banned
I could've sworn TB absolutely loathes Early Access anything.

He doesn't like the concept of selling incomplete games. He sometimes goes back to full releases if it changed his impressions a lot. Most of the hate is from the buggy mechanics, of which most early access games suffer from.

JaseC

Shameless cross-post:

PSA for Steam users: [Thief 2014] unlocks in several Asian countries in just under 24 hours. FlyVPN has free servers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, all of which will suffice.

t1393254000z4.png

FAQ
Isn't using a VPN against the SSA?
Technically, yes, but there are no verified or even reputable reports of Valve taking action against those who use a VPN to simply redeem region-locked keys or unlock released games early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers use VPNs on the odd occasion for these very reasons and haven't encountered any trouble. Valve's issue with VPN usage lies in using it to aid in the circumvention of region-specific pricing on Steam itself.

So my account won't be restricted?
Well, I can't guarantee that Valve won't change its stance, but you'd have to be the unluckiest person in the world to be made example of considering Valve's blind eye over the past several years.

FlyVPN keeps saying the servers are full/won't connect to a server!
If the servers are full, keep trying: sessions only last 20 minutes and upon disconnection users are required to wait another 5 before reconnecting. If you receive an error message when attempting to connect to a server, try a different one as some servers appear to be having issues accepting the protocols FlyVPN uses. Also ensure that the password for the main server you've connected to hasn't changed (see the link above for log-in info).

I'm connected to the VPN. Now what?
Begin the decryption process. You can disable the VPN at this point but you will be required to connect again for the "Pre-load" button to change to "Play", so unless it'll take more than 20 minutes you might as well leave it connected. You can also kill the VPN once you're in-game; although the "Play" button will revert back to "Pre-load", you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort. Once you're in, you're in.

That said, yes, you can make money just buy playing the game, but unless you are very lucky we are talking about cents here. You can also try and game the market but like I said, everything is random which makes the process much much much harder. My suggestion? If you really want a shiny weapon, buy one from the market and hope that eventually you get a nice drop that nets you a few dollars.

Pro tip: buy the Operation passes as close to their release as possible. The price of the crates that drop are insane for the first few weeks of release and will pay for your pass, often doubling your money.

Zafir

I'm assuming you're pretty confident about this if you're willing to leverage your billion-game steam account. I'll give it a try.
Well, loads of people have done it before without any action taken. I know I have done it before for some games and I've still got my account.

Jawmuncher

Its not living until you use VPN to play games early.
Playing Tomb Raider before everyone I knew was pretty great even if i disliked that game.

JaseC

He's never covered it in any form. Neither has Giant Bomb.

Ah, that sucks; by most if not all accounts it's quite solid. On that note, I've been critical of Ubi in the past for various reasons, but it greenlighting a new mainline Might & Magic game that wasn't an attempt to follow in the footsteps of Skyrim but instead stays true to the roots of the series certainly deserves praise.

Backlogger

So I am messing with Steam client skins for the first time. I dropped the Air folder into my skins folder and its not showing up as a skin I can select. I feel like I am probably just missing some stupidly obvious step. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

edit: for bad spelling

edit2: nvm I got it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-EFAEBDA30937D95C - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat
Metro 2033,Risen & Sacred Citadel -- MB-7DFCF45A262879A8 - Taken by trailmix16
Serious Sam:Double D -- MB-722BAE7F18B68C91 - Taken by Leg-End
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-49DA089601A118D7
Cortex Command #2 -- MB-B2CA83B468E6747A - Taken by VikasNarula
Command & Conquer:Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-1DA2904F9031A74F - Taken by Garcia
Cortex Command -- MB-1188BF2E8B334324 - Taken by Ingueferroque
Warlock:Master of the Arcane -- MB-8B93D0BB11CE88CC - Taken by crazyrabbits
Serious Sam:The Random Encounter -- MB-A14AB2E7E56DBEE8 - Taken by Kiru
The Showdown Effect -- MB-004A494D809FEDFB - Taken by Tesseract
Splice -- MB-AF5C2E15C62732A6 - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper
Superbrothers:Sword & Sworcery EP -- MB-9780D833792F72F3 - Taken by killatopak
Nightsky -- MB-D6418A40F7403564 - Taken by Myshkin
Europa Universalis 3 Complete -- MB-21D1015B6E2A96C1 - Taken by user237
Red Orchestra -- MB-1E1F37BAFE111D4C - Taken by adriano999

I complained how Enslaved seems really buggy for me here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100167848&postcount=10797

Now I was trying to continue, I am at the metal tower part nearing the end and I hit a gamebreaking bug.

After beating the few enemies on the bottom, a bigger enemy is supposed to breakdown a wall. This never happens to me, but eventually the enemy will clip through the wall. Beating the miniboss leads to this:

3A6232F8ACECB0D881657B8D8DC47B9CA430B73D

The girl runs to the wall and continues until clipping through. I cannot get through the wall at all, so that's that. Restarting the checkpoint doesn't help either (and I have to do the fights all over again).

So I guess that's that for Enslaved until getting a new PC or something.

edit: others have the problem too http://steamcommunity.com/app/245280/discussions/0/630800444302400656/

Wow, I knew that the gameplay felt somehow off but missing all kinds of effects explains it.

edit2: Set graphics to High, got through the part and game runs MUCH MUCH MUCH smoother to boot. That miniboss doesn't work at all when you play with low settings, which I assume correlates to the whole game and explains my past problems too. Nice QA Ninja Theory.

So I am messing with Steam client skins for the first time. I dropped the Air folder into my skins folder and its not showing up as a skin I can select. I feel like I am probably just missing some stupidly obvious step. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

edit: for bad spelling

This is a long shot, but is the name of the folder you dropped in called "Air 2014-2015"? That folder is what holds the actual folder (named "air") that you need to put into skins.

nexon

Neo Member
Have some spare keys/humblegifts but dont remember if all of them are working. Have any idea of chcecking them before giveaway?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hexcells

..is great! It's sort of like Minesweepers (not random, tho) and Picross. Both the music and sound effects are very pleasant so it's really relaxing to play.
Got through all puzzles in about 2.5 hours and immediately bought its sequel Hexcells Plus.

It's $2.99 on the Store (bundle is $4.99) and worth every penny.

Here's another write-up from RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/20/hexcells-and-hexcells-plus-now-available-on-steam/

Hmm, aesthetics are nice. And I've been wanting some minesweeper type game.

JaseC

I'm a dumbo and forgot to attach proof of purchase to my Ubi support ticket; if it were actioned before I could update it, whoever looked at it would have thought I was trying to get a free game, haha.

Being a gift, though, I don't have proof of purchase, so I did the next best thing: a screenshot of my library showing the lack of Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom and another showing the "You need Paths to a Kingdom, idiot" error that occurs when attempting to activate the DLC pack from my inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom